PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Gripes; Multiple Topics

Fyrestorme
09-10-2015, 06:30 AM
1) Why are you running the AI in the same thread as the UI??? The stuttering and latency during AI's turn is really annoying!

2) Why are you continuously polling army stack sizes? Why not just check on specific actions related to stack size changes?? This seems like a lazy, catch-all method done at the cost of performance.

3) The September 29 release is going to be a miniature disaster. It's too soon! Dev's can't even give a straight answer to the question: "Will most of the bugs from beta 2 be fixed at release?" They'd rather quibble over what "most" means. It's not vague! 'Most' means the majority. Majority means more than half, technically.

4) Town screens weren't given the time and attention they needed. Contrary to internal opinion, players DO spend a great deal of time in them, and they have a significant impact on the overall enjoyability of the game for many of us! Wasn't that lesson learned well enough from heroes of might and magic 6??

5) The color palettes in the game are like pastel colors, practically - all washed out and dull.

6) Portions of the game were never exposed to external beta testing. I can only assume that they figured those parts would be taken care of by internal testing. Well, let me speak from experience: it never works out like that. I don't care what kind of test platforms you have, use case coverage you have, or how many times the same guy has played a particular map or scenario. There is just no substitute for the power and effectiveness of widespread external testing.

7) Unit size proportions are way off on many units

8) Adventure map structure size proportions are off, compared to the heroes

9) No hacking protection. I REALLY hope this is one of those things being added just before release, and that it was just left out of the beta on purpose...

10) Enemy human players' fights are shown

11) The turn length of AI players is a bit too long, compared to previous heroes games

12) Cinematic camera clips into edge of battlefield environments, blocking player's view

13) You can have 2 magic specializations, and each one says that you get at least one spell from that school of magic on EVERY MAGIC GUILD TIER, but you don't! On 4th tier you only get 1 spell!

14) Enemy hero movements are not shown, even in areas you can see, during enemy turn

15) I don't like the current method of going into your castle screen (having it over on the left, above mini map). There needs to be a button for that over by the circle around the end turn button, along with everything else.

16) No hex-based grid :( Only square-based.. /sadpanda

Overall, I would say that the beta testing phase needs at least 2 more iterations before release - fiscal quarters and quotas BE DAMNED!

XenosEnder4
09-17-2015, 05:32 PM
1) Why are you running the AI in the same thread as the UI??? The stuttering and latency during AI's turn is really annoying!

2) Why are you continuously polling army stack sizes? Why not just check on specific actions related to stack size changes?? This seems like a lazy, catch-all method done at the cost of performance.

11) The turn length of AI players is a bit too long, compared to previous heroes games

Overall, I would say that the beta testing phase needs at least 2 more iterations before release - fiscal quarters and quotas BE DAMNED!

While I agree with more of the points Fyre made than I quoted, I left the ones that seriously ruined my experience with H7. I should mention that I have played every Heroes since I was a kid, and this was by far worst experience, and it wasn't because of gameplay.

Performance was dismal, I started full settings, it worked, but INSANELY slow especially during AI turns. Then went to minimum settings, minor performance improvement, AI turns still EXTREMELY slow and painful. Even after maxing all the game speed settings that you can, some enemy turns could last over a minute towards late game.

With max game speed settings.

I have played the beta for over 20 hours, and I have yet to complete a single map.

5 hours into a single map before I reached my first opponents base.

90% of this can be attributed to extremely long enemy turns. Both AI and Performance based reasons.

As a young professional who can't commit over 10 hours to play a single map.
And as someone familiar with the factors contributing to succesful games,

THERE IS A TREND FOR ALL VIDEO GAMES TO SHORTEN MATCH TIME, AND INCREASE # OF MATCHS PLAYED, BECAUSE THAT IS HOW LIFE WORKS! PEOPLE CANT SPEND 10 HOURS PER MATCH, WE HAVE LIVES, AND YOU NEED TO DESIGN YOUR GAMES SO THEY DON'T INTERFERE WITH OUR LIVES OR YOU WILL FAIL! PERIOD.

End Rant.

I still love HOMM games, but this is a complete and utter disappointment.

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
09-17-2015, 05:35 PM
Hi Guys, please have a read here https://mmh7.ubi.com/en/blog/post/view/beta-is-now-over-thank-you-again

It explains in detail some key topics the developers are working on from the feedback.

Thanks