PDA

View Full Version : New to Assassin's Creed series. Need purchase help

russjg.
09-09-2015, 02:15 AM
Hi. I never played an Assassin's Creed game and wanted to try them out as there is a sale currently on them all but I have some questions.

Which are the most stable / unstable on PC?
Which are the shortest / longest?
Which have the best / worst features?

I don't have a console so will be playing them on PC.

Thanks for your replies.

strigoi1958
09-09-2015, 03:32 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum ;)

They're all stable as long as your system is strong enough to meet requirements... All games will find a few PC's that refuse to run them.....
The early games you may need to turn a setting down a little to make your pc more compatible.

The game times all depend on whether you just play the main story or you like to do all the missions and collect the collectibles and treasures... plus there are mini games, puzzles, exploring and lots of fighting.

best or worst features are different for everyone... personally I really struggled with the tomb exploring in AC 2 it took ages because I'm not very good, but others love the tombs it is their favourite...

For me, exploring, crafting, forts, sailing, sea battles puzzles and side missions are what makes the games great... plus the cities are great to look at, the sounds are often un-noticed too...

My favourites are AC Brotherhood, through AC revelations through AC 3 and AC4 to Unity... but AC1 is what makes all the others make sense... and AC 2... well nobody can be as bad as I am so you'd probably like that as well...

I would play them in order... but if money is a factor and you can figure out the story with a little help then... I'd pick revelations, AC3, and AC4... I've played them for hundreds of hours...;) Unity is a big leap forward but those 3 might get you hooked.

Scystab
09-09-2015, 08:08 AM
Hey and welcome :)

I think Strigoi put it well, I would only like to add regarding the order you should play. In my opinion all the games are great and each has it's own perks (even Unity! the characters were bland, but the free run system and murder mysteries are fun).

Each new instalment of the game brought something new and (mostly) better. So I find myself frustrated sometimes, because I'm used to the running assassinations introduced in AC3 onward and when I play the games that are older than AC3, the scenario doesn't play out as I planned, because this particular feature is not in the game "yet". So if you would compare the manouverability of AC3 to AC1 you probably wouldn't enjoy AC1 as much as you should, due to the "lack" of possibilities.

Bassically the free run and combat system all get better with each game and it makes more fun to play, BUT the story is at it's best in the first games.
So I would agree with Strigoi and strongly sudgest you start with the oldest titles.

Have fun
/Scy

strigoi1958
09-09-2015, 03:01 PM
oh yes the murder mysteries were brilliant... thanks Scy I forgot those.

russjg.
09-09-2015, 04:07 PM
Thanks for your replies. I did some research and the Murder Mysteries were in Assassin's Creed Unity but I read the PC port of it is not good. As I would like to try just 1 Assassin's Creed game and Unity is the newest game before Syndicate, would this be the best one to get. I enjoyed Batman Arkham style fighting / countering which is in this so is the the best for that as well? Thanks again.

strigoi1958
09-09-2015, 05:17 PM
Unity is awesome but because of how big and graphically beautiful it is... it needs a powerful system to enjoy it at its best... a lot of people tried to run it on lower spec pc's some managed it by turning down everything and changing to lower resolution and I admire their determination to play... even at 20fps but it is not doing the game or ourselves justice to see it like that...
Strangely, some people with incredible pc systems couldn't run Unity well but that is because there are just so many different pc components all mixed with others and with thousands of system settings and software that might cause a conflict... there are always going to be some pc's that don't run certain games well... sometimes we find a solution but not always.

I have played Unity a few times and have over 600 hours in total including co-op so it ran very well for me and all the guys I played with. ;)

I played AC1 then never played again until I saw AC 3... I played it, loved it and because of AC3 I have bought every AC game since and will as long as they make them... as Scy pointed out, going backwards makes you want the things from newer games that hadn't been introduced in the early ones.... but I really enjoyed the story of Ezio in AC2, Brotherhood and Revelations.

What makes it hard to prefer one over another is they all have something that makes each one stand out... and as it is unique it cannot be judged against the others... if I had to recommend just 1 game... my heart would say AC3 it has homestead missions, forts, some sailing and battles, trading, exploring, puzzles and mini games...

Although Unity is a huge step forward in graphics... I would say... buy AC4... the sailing and sea battles... the attacking forts from sea, the missions, contracts, collectibles and story are all excellent... Black Flag is not just an AC game... it also shows that Ubi should make a full on pirate game with multiplayer clubs whose ships join together online to attack convoys and other clubs bases forts and ports (or defend their own ) a bit off topic but the sailing is amazing.

A quick word on combat... it has changed as the series grows... early games had disarm and chain kills... then moved to AC 3 which has human shield (grab a guard to prevent bullets hitting you...) it had some distractions a well like whistle... also weapons have changed to suit the location and the age... ac4 has blow darts...and a blow pipe and unity combat was slightly more challenging with parry (block) and attacks using different weapons, 1 handed or 2 handed. Also different bombs are found in different games and different extras like a parachute or rope dart... as I said they all have different things that make them great.

Get AC4 google it's gameplay and sailing (it may spoil your game if you see something that is supposed to be a reveal) but if the sailing is not to your liking then AC3.... I still went back and played the whole series though and hopefully you will too.

Costanzafaust
09-11-2015, 04:53 AM
As someone who also just recently started playing the AC games on PC, I would definitely recommend you start with the original Assassin's Creed, then play AC2, Brotherhood, and Revelations in order. It will make the backstory, especially the bits with Desmond, make the most sense.

I was a long time fan of the Prince of Persia gameplay, and you can really see how that took that and added layers to it in each iteration of AC. The original Assassin's Creed game was probably the shortest for me, although I did not spend a lot of time hunting flags or templars after finishing the story. I have about 50 hours each in AC2 and Brotherhood. It seems like each new version not only adds additional features, but more stuff to collect around the map, which some can find tedious. By the time of Unity the map is so crowded with icons it gets ridiculous.

If you just want to play one of them, I would probably suggest AC1, just because the full story of Ezio (a really great character btw) is a trilogy. If you don't care so much for story and just want gameplay, Brotherhood is where I feel like the gameplay really first started to gel, although AC3 & 4 apparently start to branch it out in whole new directions. I am playing them somewhat in order so I haven't made it quite that far yet.

Everything has been pretty stable on PC for me, although brotherhood got glitchy with vanishing character problems in a couple of the dungeon levels. Restarting the game fixed it.

Scystab
09-19-2015, 10:06 AM
I think you got some pretty decend feedback.

So, have you made a decision, russjg.? :)