PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft Film Division to Launch Theme Park in Malaysia

Locopells
09-07-2015, 11:59 AM
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/ubisoft-film-division-to-launch-theme-park-in-malaysia-1201587242/

French videogame publisher could turn titles including 'Assassin's Creed' into games

The film division of vidgame publisher Ubisoft has designs beyond the big screen. The motion picture unit of the Paris-based company announced plans Monday to launch an Ubisoft-focused theme park in Malaysia. The park is scheduled to open in 2020.
“Together we are creating a place where every guest is a player, every ride is a playground, every visit is a game,” said Jean de Rivières, senior vice president, Ubisoft Motion Pictures.

The announcement stopped short of specifically declaring which of the publisher’s many franchises would be incorporated into rides and shows. It’s not hard to imagine, though, that the park will incorporate the “Rabbids” IP, which is already a television show on Nickelodeon (and recently received a renewal order).

And 2016 will see the release of an “Assassin’s Creed” film starring Michael Fassbender. That franchise is Ubisoft’s most valuable, making a theme park experience likely as well.

Other contenders include “Just Dance” and several based on Tom Clancy-themed games like “Rainbow Six” and “Splinter Cell.”
The company plans to work with RSG, a Malaysian developer that specializes in theme parks. Among RSG’s current projects is MAPS – the Movie Animation Park Studios – a park that will incorporate attractions from DreamWorks, The Smurfs and other well known animated projects.

This isn’t Ubisoft’s first foray into the world of theme parks. Ubisoft Motion Pictures worked with France’s Futuroscope in 2014 to create a 3D dark ride based on the “Raving Rabbids: Travel in Time” game.

Ubisoft’s venture comes just four months after Nintendo announced a partnership with Universal Parks and Resorts, bringing the video game company’s collection of characters, including Mario, Donkey Kong and Zelda, to the popular resorts in the form of Nintendo-themed rides and character appearances.

http://blog.ubi.com/ubisoft-announces-plans-for-next-generation-theme-park-in-malaysia/

Ubisoft Announces Plans for Next-Generation Theme Park in Malaysia

Have you ever played one of Ubisoft’s games and thought, “This is fun and all, but I’d really like to experience it as a theme park ride”? Good news! That wish will soon become reality, now that Ubisoft’s announced plans for a next-generation theme park. Slated to open in 2020 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, the park will be a 10,000-square-meter indoor complex featuring rides, shows and other attractions, all built around Ubisoft’s games and characters.

“Ubisoft’s intention for this park is to immerse people in reactive worlds where they can interact with each other and become the heroes of their own life-sized game,” says Jean de Rivières, senior vice president of Ubisoft Motion Pictures, which is leading the project. Having previously produced an award-winning Rabbids dark ride for the Futuroscope theme park in France, Ubisoft Motion Pictures is creating the new park together with Malaysian theme-park developer RSG. RSG will own and operate the park, while Ubisoft will maintain creative control over the attractions.

Few specifics have been revealed about upcoming attractions, but “Ubisoft will produce all digital media for the rides, and help design guests’ journey into the park to ensure the visitors’ experience is at its best,” says Rivières.

“Malaysia is the second-most-visited country in Asia” Rivières adds, citing a 2014 report by the World Tourism Organization. “There is room for multiple projects to take root in the region and a growing middle class with an increasing income and appetite for entertainment.”

ze_topazio
09-07-2015, 12:28 PM
Will there be a "Leap of faith" attraction?

Sorrosyss
09-07-2015, 12:50 PM
"Finally, an Asian setting! Oh, wait..."

Shame, one of the few occasions that a European location would have been most welcome. :p

SixKeys
09-07-2015, 01:22 PM
"Finally, an Asian setting! Oh, wait..."

LOL

Came here to post this but Loco was faster. It sounds so bizarre I had to check the article wasn't posted on April 1st.

Shahkulu101
09-07-2015, 01:59 PM
Right, I think Yves had a bit too much to drink at a conference...

Locopells
09-07-2015, 02:05 PM
Ubisoft Announces Plans for Next-Generation Theme Park in Malaysia

Have you ever played one of Ubisoft’s games and thought, “This is fun and all, but I’d really like to experience it as a theme park ride”? Good news! That wish will soon become reality, now that Ubisoft’s announced plans for a next-generation theme park. Slated to open in 2020 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, the park will be a 10,000-square-meter indoor complex featuring rides, shows and other attractions, all built around Ubisoft’s games and characters.

“Ubisoft’s intention for this park is to immerse people in reactive worlds where they can interact with each other and become the heroes of their own life-sized game,” says Jean de Rivières, senior vice president of Ubisoft Motion Pictures, which is leading the project. Having previously produced an award-winning Rabbids dark ride for the Futuroscope theme park in France, Ubisoft Motion Pictures is creating the new park together with Malaysian theme-park developer RSG. RSG will own and operate the park, while Ubisoft will maintain creative control over the attractions.

Few specifics have been revealed about upcoming attractions, but “Ubisoft will produce all digital media for the rides, and help design guests’ journey into the park to ensure the visitors’ experience is at its best,” says Rivières.

“Malaysia is the second-most-visited country in Asia” Rivières adds, citing a 2014 report by the World Tourism Organization. “There is room for multiple projects to take root in the region and a growing middle class with an increasing income and appetite for entertainment.”

SixKeys
09-07-2015, 02:27 PM
Have you ever played one of Ubisoft's games and thought, "This is fun and all, but I'd really like to experience it as a theme park ride"?

No. I cannot imagine anyone has ever thought that. Ever. :P

VestigialLlama4
09-07-2015, 05:12 PM
No. I cannot imagine anyone has ever thought that. Ever. :P

Even Nintendo has never made a Mario Park and that's about the only gaming IP you can justify building a theme park around.

Gotta say this venture just smacks of corruption and scam as much of Ubisoft's recent productions does.

“Ubisoft’s intention for this park is to immerse people in reactive worlds where they can interact with each other and become the heroes of their own life-sized game,” says Jean de Rivières, senior vice president of Ubisoft Motion Pictures, which is leading the project.

There already exists such a game and its free and online all the time. Its called real-life. People go to theme parks because they have kids and want to relax and have fun, they don't go there to "become heroes of their own life-sized game".

“Ubisoft will produce all digital media for the rides, and help design guests’ journey into the park to ensure the visitors’ experience is at its best,” says Rivières.

Among meaningless marketing expospeak that is some kind of record.

BananaBlighter
09-07-2015, 05:29 PM
WHAT??? I have to go all the way to Malaysia, just to ride the 'leap o' faith' with a 100m 90º drop

Sorry, but I have never thought, "This is fun and all, but I'd really like to experience it as a theme park ride".

Lol if this actually happens...:eek:

king-hailz
09-07-2015, 05:50 PM
Lolol ubisoft really needs to make money, I wonder what happened for them t do this.... Or is it just greed?

Its greed....

Alphacos007
09-07-2015, 05:51 PM
I'm not really sure what to say. I can't imagine an AC theme park :eek:

CrossedEagle
09-07-2015, 06:23 PM
Wow. That happened. I can't believe it.

How would it work? Would there be different "lands" like the Levant, Italy, Istanbul, North America, the Caribbean, Paris, and London?

Are they also not incorporating Prince of Persia into the park?

VoXngola
09-07-2015, 07:32 PM
...why

SixKeys
09-07-2015, 09:27 PM
You must be this tall to kill people.

Keep your arms and legs inside the haystack at all times.

The jokes just write themselves.

VestigialLlama4
09-07-2015, 09:51 PM
You must be this tall to kill people.

Keep your arms and legs inside the haystack at all times.

The jokes just write themselves.

Also Ubisoft will hire actual prostitutes and mercenaries to serve as factions. To make it truly immersive.

ze_topazio
09-07-2015, 10:13 PM
I wonder if the attractions will be unfinished and full of malfunctions that will be later fixed with patches.

One ticket only gives you access to 80% of the park, for the remaining 20% you have to buy an extra dlc ticket, this can be avoid if you buy the season pass ticket in the first place.

You can avoid the waiting lines with micro-transactions.

Theme parks and attractions based on popular IPs is nothing new, this is certainly kinda funny but hardly anything never before seen, can't say I understand why some of you are acting like this is unheard of and another example of Ubisoft's extreme greed.

VestigialLlama4
09-07-2015, 10:47 PM
Theme parks and attractions based on popular IPs is nothing new, this is certainly kinda funny but hardly anything never before seen, can't say I understand why some of you are acting like this is unheard of and another example of Ubisoft's extreme greed.

Well no other gaming company has done theme parks. Not even Nintendo. Its unheard of and it smacks of desperation.

SpiritOfNevaeh
09-07-2015, 11:32 PM
Wow, I'm kinda curious and cautious at the same time.

Will the Leap of Faith "ride" have strict requirements so you don't hurt yourself? :rolleyes:

I wonder if the attractions will be unfinished and full of malfunctions that will be later fixed with patches.

One ticket only gives you access to 80% of the park, for the remaining 20% you have to buy an extra dlc ticket, this can be avoid if you buy the season pass ticket in the first place.

You can avoid the waiting lines with micro-transactions.

LOL Burned!

HDinHB
09-07-2015, 11:42 PM
Also Ubisoft will hire actual prostitutes and mercenaries to serve as factions. To make it truly immersive.

In that case, I'm in! Even without the mercenaries.

Sounds like a high-risk low-reward kind of venture. Safer to license individual attractions in existing parks. If there was the whiff of money to be made, Disney would have created a PoP attraction years ago.

SixKeys
09-07-2015, 11:46 PM
In that case, I'm in! Even without the mercenaries.

Sounds like a high-risk low-reward kind of venture. Safer to license individual attractions in existing parks. If there was the whiff of money to be made, Disney would have created a PoP attraction years ago.

Disney doesn't own all the rights to PoP and they only ever did the movie which was not a huge success. That doesn't necessarily mean some other company (like Ubi itself) couldn't make money off the IP.

ze_topazio
09-07-2015, 11:49 PM
Well no other gaming company has done theme parks. Not even Nintendo. Its unheard of and it smacks of desperation.

You have a couple of them in Japan, but even if it was something new, considering the popularity of videogames this days, someone, sooner or later, would do it.

Wow, I'm kinda curious and cautious at the same time.

Will the Leap of Faith "ride" have strict requirements so you don't hurt yourself? :rolleyes:

LOL Burned!

The Leap of Faith will be bungee jumping from a church tower.

strigoi1958
09-07-2015, 11:56 PM
If it existed and was close enough... I'd go.... just to see if they had an animus that we used with VR.... I guess there are aspects from Ezio's games that could be used like a hookblade ride down a zipline... the parachute and I suppose leonardo's glider... but from Connor I can only think of the water ride when he chases the guy on the log down the river... anyone think of a possible moment that would make a park ride ?

Locopells
09-08-2015, 12:00 AM
Given how popular the AC courses at recent conventions have been, I can imagine where they're going with this.

I-Like-Pie45
09-08-2015, 01:04 AM
do you think you'll be able to reenact real life assassinations such as abe lincoln at the theme park

strigoi1958
09-08-2015, 01:14 AM
do you think you'll be able to reenact real life assassinations such as abe lincoln at the theme park
Yes there will be a booth.... a John Wilkes Booth;)

Sorrosyss
09-08-2015, 01:43 AM
The roller coaster will travel at just 5mph for a more 'cinematic experience'.

Or... or... There will be 500 locked chests throughout the park. With feathers on every rooftop! Additional collectibles will be available throughout the park in what they call 'shops'.

All staff will be Malaysian, but will speak with broad Cornish English accents.

Order your ticket now and receive a free floating tablet for your authentic modern day experience!

I'll stop now... :p

Locopells
09-08-2015, 02:07 AM

https://31.media.tumblr.com/ef96c0e7192ef6d38a1126b5255f2a5f/tumblr_mmnhvve2XJ1rl43djo1_500.gif

Alphacos007
09-08-2015, 11:29 AM

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5cj43qlWm1rwcc6bo1_250.gif

HDinHB
09-08-2015, 09:47 PM
So this "park" is only 10,000 square meters, which is about the size of a rugby pitch. That's about 1.5% the size of Disneyland or 2X the size of a Dave & Buster's. So I would say it's less of a theme park and more of a large theme arcade. An AC obstacle course like Loco predicted would take up a good chunk of that, as would a Tom Clancy paintball/laser tag arena. Add in some VR stations, a motion simulator or two, and a Rabbids-themed Chuck E. Cheese would just about fill it up

I-Like-Pie45
09-08-2015, 10:53 PM
im looking forward most to the "duck, gandhiji!" historical shooting range

SixKeys
09-09-2015, 12:04 AM
The roller coaster will travel at just 5mph for a more 'cinematic experience'.

Or... or... There will be 500 locked chests throughout the park. With feathers on every rooftop! Additional collectibles will be available throughout the park in what they call 'shops'.

All staff will be Malaysian, but will speak with broad Cornish English accents.

Order your ticket now and receive a free floating tablet for your authentic modern day experience!

I'll stop now... :p

Occasionally your ride will be stopped in the middle while a park employer talks to you on the intercom about how 9/11 was an inside job. You will then be forced to exit the ride for 5 minutes and wander aimlessly outside for a bit before coming back in and resuming the ride.

strigoi1958
09-09-2015, 03:44 AM
So this "park" is only 10,000 square meters, which is about the size of a rugby pitch. That's about 1.5% the size of Disneyland or 2X the size of a Dave & Buster's. So I would say it's less of a theme park and more of a large theme arcade. An AC obstacle course like Loco predicted would take up a good chunk of that, as would a Tom Clancy paintball/laser tag arena. Add in some VR stations, a motion simulator or two, and a Rabbids-themed Chuck E. Cheese would just about fill it up

I like the sound of Tom Clancy paintball/ laser tag.. I'd be up for a forum members day at TC paintball ;)

If it was that small but filled with VR stations... it would be virtually bigger than Disneyland (to anyone using the VR);)