PDA

View Full Version : Helix rifts

Smithies89
09-04-2015, 01:03 AM
Are they confirmed to be coming back?

I think it would be an interesting way to play as previous characters like the way we played as Altair in Revelations

Maybe a confrontation involving Connor, Arno and Shay.

Or maybe Ezio with an explanation to how he got The Box.

SixKeys
09-04-2015, 06:09 AM
I think it was confirmed the Rifts are returning. No idea in what form though.

Shahkulu101
09-04-2015, 03:29 PM
I really disliked the Rifts in Unity, there was no substance to them whatsoever. Just big, empty set pieces - and the side rifts were even less creative. Go around the map and collect...stuff. Yay. They were a waste of some very nice environments. Climbing the Eiffel Tower would be cool if there was actually a sense of purpose to it, and no "saving fellow Assassin's" isn't sufficient enough to make it even remotely compelling.

So if Rifts are returning, let's hope they're more interesting. Letting us play as other characters like you say would be cool - make them something other than just controlling an avatar and give them actual story context. Even though we weren't technically controlling Arno - it felt strange seeing him in different time periods. So no more of that, please. The Rifts should add something to the main narrative (MD and historical), and not just be throwaway set pieces - because the concept of them is a very interesting one and they deserve to have more significance.

rrebe
09-04-2015, 04:21 PM
I wasn't too fond of the Rifts in Unity, but I am interested to see what they will be like in Syndicate.

Altair1789
09-05-2015, 12:55 AM
I hated Unity's rifts. They should just replace Rifts with memories from the protagonist's ancestors in the same city

SixKeys
09-05-2015, 04:18 AM
The Rifts have amazing potential. Like so many things in Unity, they just weren't utilized to their fullest extent. The scenes where we explored a different time period in a linear sequence were amazing, but ultimately pointless and nonsensical. It was never properly explained what the hell the Rifts were exactly, probably because modern day in general was botched up so badly. They were probably a leftover from the Red Violin concept. With more time dedicated to properly integrating such scenes into the story, it could be absolutely fantastic.

rrebe
09-05-2015, 09:05 AM
The Rifts have amazing potential. Like so many things in Unity, they just weren't utilized to their fullest extent. The scenes where we explored a different time period in a linear sequence were amazing, but ultimately pointless and nonsensical. It was never properly explained what the hell the Rifts were exactly, probably because modern day in general was botched up so badly. They were probably a leftover from the Red Violin concept. With more time dedicated to properly integrating such scenes into the story, it could be absolutely fantastic.

Exactly!

VestigialLlama4
09-05-2015, 09:47 AM

I think Rifts or Time Anomalies is the one part of Unity almost everyone loves without reservations. It was a genuinely cool idea. The parts of the game set outside the Revolution - Molay's prologue, Belle Epoque, Eiffel Tower, Hundred Years War, is really amazing.

I definitely think Ubisoft should go forward and I think they will try and put more detail and background. Like say go to the past but also interact with old historical figures. Go to Roman London and see Boudicaa burn the city to the ground, go to London in the time of the War of the Roses and find out who killed the Princes in the Tower, go to Shakespeare's London, or the London of the Great Fire and Great Plague (awesome Bloodborne/Dishonored homage is waiting there) and of course 20th Century London during the Blitz or the Sixties (though I think music rights will make the latter expensive).

Jessigirl2013
09-05-2015, 11:16 AM
If they were part of MD maybe... I dunno.

I miss having interaction between the modern day characters.
In Unity the silences between R and S talking made me want a talking protagonist back!!!!!:mad: