PDA

View Full Version : I really hope they improve the side missions

Smithies89
09-03-2015, 02:17 AM
In Unity they are so uninteresting because you are basically a silent protagonist being given things to do by strangers.

During my first play through I played a lot of them but whenever I replay it I lose motivation to do them again once I have enough money for the weapons I want

Say in like AC3 the homestead missions weren't always that fun to play but because it felt like part of Connors story so whenever I replay it I always do them

I suppose I want them to feel a bit more of an organic story than silently walking up to someone listing to their request then doing it.

LoyalACFan
09-03-2015, 03:20 AM
Yeah the Paris Stories f***ing sucked. From what I saw, the preorder bonus Darwin/author-of-Oliver-Twist-whose-name-is-stupidly-censored-here mission is going to be fully mocapped/voice-acted by both the mission givers and the protagonists, unlike the Chemical Revolution one last year which was just another generic Paris Story, so that's good news at least.

VestigialLlama4
09-03-2015, 05:44 AM
Yeah the Paris Stories f***ing sucked. From what I saw, the preorder bonus Darwin/author-of-Oliver-Twist-whose-name-is-stupidly-censored-here mission is going to be fully mocapped/voice-acted by both the mission givers and the protagonists, unlike the Chemical Revolution one last year which was just another generic Paris Story, so that's good news at least.

They managed to shell out good hard cash for voice actors for these two figures (and from what I can tell they have other historical figures...including possibly Karl Marx). UNITY generally cut corners on story so its side missions with these Paris Stories generally have nonsense NPCs rather than full models.

EmptyCrustacean
09-03-2015, 08:45 AM

They didn't do cut scenes for Unity's Paris Story missions because they were trying to make it more like AC1.
Indeed, they were tedious because Arno never really spoke to the people he was helping and there were just too many of them. It became torturous.

Farlander1991
09-03-2015, 10:38 AM
Yeah, my favorite side-missions in Unity are ones in which it feels like Arno is directly participating (and where he's actually talking). Like the one where he trains a girl who wants to take back her home, or the one where he rescues the Prince, etc. Plus there were some missions that had nice touches in the environment, like there was a poster about a killer on the loose and that's how the mission activates, implying that Arno saw the poster and decided to find him and take care of it.

Napoleon side-missions were ridiculous. The way the four-mission love story between several characters is handled is... I don't even know a proper word to say it.

And generally speaking there's just too damn much historical people in the side-missions. It's like they went from one extreme in AC3 where they tried to incorporate as much history as possible into the main story, to another extreme in ACU where they try to incorporate as much history as possible in the side-missions, and to hell that you can use side-missions to support the main story and flesh out the characters and the antagonists, all those people we see for just one mission and don't even properly understand who they are unless we know history of the period or read the database are far more important.

RobbbarN
09-03-2015, 11:29 AM
Some of the Paris Stories was good, but far from good! There was more Chest then mission in all Assassins creed games together.. Which was to ***** boring!!

VestigialLlama4
09-03-2015, 11:51 AM
They didn't do cut scenes for Unity's Paris Story missions because they were trying to make it more like AC1.

AC1 had cutscenes. Like every time you met a Novice or had to beat up a herald or spy on informers, there was a short cutscene and unique dialogue, as well as lip movement. And some of these side-missions even filtered into the main missions like when Sibrand shows up in the middle of an interrogation (my favorite part of AC1).

AC1 still had variety compared to ACU. Like it had good voiceover work for the Novices Altair talks to and some of them even have weird personalities, like that dude by the docks of Acre who apparently is on the run from two Templars he ran into at a brothel, likewise all the herald Altair beats up have unique voice work and Altair threatens and beats them up in ways which vary slightly.

UNITY's Side Stories can be compared to the people who give letters to Ezio or ask Connor to deliver goods and services, random NPCs, no unique character models and errands that really didn't add to the story.

And generally speaking there's just too damn much historical people in the side-missions. It's like they went from one extreme in AC3 where they tried to incorporate as much history as possible into the main story, to another extreme in ACU where they try to incorporate as much history as possible in the side-missions, and to hell that you can use side-missions to support the main story and flesh out the characters and the antagonists, all those people we see for just one mission and don't even properly understand who they are unless we know history of the period or read the database are far more important.

And of course its worthless because the history in those side missions are thoroughly false as is the database, which is not true of AC3. I mean they make basic errors in facts in these missions, like calling Josephine a divorcee or having you work with the Egyptologist Champollion who was born in 1790.

EmptyCrustacean
09-03-2015, 12:08 PM
AC1 had cutscenes. Like every time you met a Novice or had to beat up a herald or spy on informers, there was a short cutscene and unique dialogue, as well as lip movement. And some of these side-missions even filtered into the main missions like when Sibrand shows up in the middle of an interrogation (my favorite part of AC1).

You're actually trailing off my point but I'll bite: no there wasn't. They were not cinematic. And no, I will not explain to you what 'cinematic' means because I think we all know the difference between a cinematic cut scene and an in-game dialogue exchange which is what you're referring to.

And when I talk about Altair and Arno not talking in some of the in-game side missions and I'm referring to, for instance, in AC1 when you save a woman from being molested by a bunch of soldiers and she thanks you.

Furthermore, the examples you've given actually prove my point about Unity adopting a similar method to AC1 when Arno actually does get to speak, for instance, when you're training Marianne - although the camera in Unity is more free and actually allows you to move about more when you do.

Shahkulu101
09-03-2015, 12:08 PM
Agreed. Purposeful story context is essential to enjoyable side missions and this is precisely what ACU lacked. The missions never advanced Arno's character or built a connection with the world in any way. They were just a sequence of unrelated events, which isn't bad in and of itself. The Witcher 3's side missions are largely irrelevant to the main story, but they introduce interesting characters and stories on their own which makes the game world feel varied, vibrant, humorous and ambiguous. The Paris stories are the polar opposite, stock NPC models or worse, text messages, give us the dry, mundane exposition and then we run to a green circle, turn on eagle vision and steal from/kill/tail/chase some guy(s). Every mission feels repetitive, there only to pad out game hours or as a means to make money instead of trying to me meaningfully engage the player.

iN3krOiZ
09-04-2015, 04:18 AM
You're actually trailing off my point but I'll bite: no there wasn't. They were not cinematic. And no, I will not explain to you what 'cinematic' means because I think we all know the difference between a cinematic cut scene and an in-game dialogue exchange which is what you're referring to.

And when I talk about Altair and Arno not talking in some of the in-game side missions and I'm referring to, for instance, in AC1 when you save a woman from being molested by a bunch of soldiers and she thanks you.

Furthermore, the examples you've given actually prove my point about Unity adopting a similar method to AC1 when Arno actually does get to speak, for instance, when you're training Marianne - although the camera in Unity is more free and actually allows you to move about more when you do.

You are right, and that's one thing that was lost in Assassin's Creed 2, out of cut-scenes dialogue got full of bad animations, and it went to such lenghts that in AC3, when connor is explaining the fat native how to move in the forest, he's doing some of the weirdest animations i've ever seen, not even original Tomb Raider would have animations that weird xD

In Ac1, while they weren't Cut-Scenes, they were well animated.

Don't know about Unity cause i dropped the game after the first assassination mission, i'll play it soon (replaying whole series, i'm at Ac3 now).
__________________________________________________ ___________________

Now about #1, i agree with you, the Homestead was a great idea, and, in my opinion, those who hated at Connor when Ac3 was released didn't really play this missions.

Smithies89
09-04-2015, 04:26 AM
Yes someone who agrees with me! The homestead missions really show another side to Connor that made me care for him. If there was no homestead missions I'm sure I would probably agree with the popular option that he was dull

SixKeys
09-04-2015, 06:06 AM
The Homestead missions made me dislike Connor more. His acting was atrocious in those scenes and the missions were often frustrating as hell (why the hell do I need to go back and forth between the Homestead and Boston like three times just to give some guy a hammer?). I never grew attached to any of the NPCs. Terry and Godfrey had the most potential but they squandered it with that godawful mission where they fight and you have to separate them. I didn't feel like I saw a better side of Connor in the Homestead missions, he was the same naive doofus who ran pointless errands for a bunch of lazy-*** people.

D.I.D.
09-04-2015, 11:53 AM
That was exactly my feeling too, SixKeys. As I said here at the time, I got to the end of the game thinking, "Hmm, a mixed bag, never really got a pay-off, but overall it was alright". Then I played the Homestead missions, which I'd left mostly untouched until then, and they were so bad that my opinion of the game overall went down. Then I saw the final meeting with Washington at the Boules game, which was the icing on the cake.

It's weird for me that fans of Connor kept saying he didn't get a decent ending. I thought his ending was the best part of his entire story: the moment where he expressed the most of his actual character (i.e. his thoughts about what had happened, his feelings about the future).

Xstantin
09-04-2015, 12:50 PM
VA was the worst part of Homestead missions for me.
Playing the game first time I wouldn't mind Charles Lee burning it all down

Farlander1991
09-04-2015, 12:59 PM
It's weird for me that fans of Connor kept saying he didn't get a decent ending. I thought his ending was the best part of his entire story: the moment where he expressed the most of his actual character (i.e. his thoughts about what had happened, his feelings about the future).

Most Connor fans seem to be confusing ending of a story and/or character arc with a 'life story', which is an absolutely different thing.

Altair didn't get his life story until four years after his game, and nobody seemed to complain :p

m4r-k7
09-04-2015, 01:31 PM
Side missions was one thing I liked in Unity. I hate that they filled up the map like crazy but I enjoyed completing them.

dxsxhxcx
09-04-2015, 01:39 PM
Most Connor fans seem to be confusing ending of a story and/or character arc with a 'life story', which is an absolutely different thing.

Altair didn't get his life story until four years after his game, and nobody seemed to complain :p

IMO Altair is the only Assassin who really "deserved" to have his full story told because of the drastic changes he did to the Order, Ezio only got the same treatment because of AC2's reception, and now, because of it, people have this notion that every single protagonist needs to have his full story told...

SixKeys
09-04-2015, 02:02 PM
Speaking as an Altair fan, I would have preferred to keep most of his life a mystery. It would have made the character larger than life so to speak, a true legend where people don't know much about him so there are all sorts of crazy theories that may or may not be true. I thought his Codex in AC2 was a good sendoff. We found out that he was the one who rebuilt the brotherhood and came up with some of its biggest advancements, we saw him find love with Maria and found he was still vulnerable to temptations as he grew more and more obsessed with the Apple. It's far more interesting to fill in the missing gaps yourself.

dxsxhxcx
09-04-2015, 02:20 PM
Speaking as an Altair fan, I would have preferred to keep most of his life a mystery. It would have made the character larger than life so to speak, a true legend where people don't know much about him so there are all sorts of crazy theories that may or may not be true. I thought his Codex in AC2 was a good sendoff. We found out that he was the one who rebuilt the brotherhood and came up with some of its biggest advancements, we saw him find love with Maria and found he was still vulnerable to temptations as he grew more and more obsessed with the Apple. It's far more interesting to fill in the missing gaps yourself.

true, but IMO The Secret Crusade did justice to his legacy...

RuleNumber6
09-04-2015, 05:14 PM
In Unity they are so uninteresting because you are basically a silent protagonist being given things to do by strangers.

During my first play through I played a lot of them but whenever I replay it I lose motivation to do them again once I have enough money for the weapons I want

Say in like AC3 the homestead missions weren't always that fun to play but because it felt like part of Connors story so whenever I replay it I always do them

I suppose I want them to feel a bit more of an organic story than silently walking up to someone listing to their request then doing it.

Sounds like train robberies will be one of the new side missions. Could be a fun way to upgrade Evie and Jacob.

http://www.examiner.com/article/assassin-s-creed-syndicate-exclusive-it-takes-two-to-make-a-thing-go-right-1

SixKeys
09-05-2015, 04:40 AM
This is a strange quote:

"So if you are playing as Evie or Jacob Frye and you complete one mission as Evie, is that mission still available to be played again as Jacob? "If you complete something with one character, it’s completed." "

We've always been able to replay main missions. Why would it not be possible to play the mission once as Jacob, then go to the DNA menu, select the mission and replay it as Evie?

Jessigirl2013
09-05-2015, 11:55 AM
This is a strange quote:

"So if you are playing as Evie or Jacob Frye and you complete one mission as Evie, is that mission still available to be played again as Jacob? "If you complete something with one character, it’s completed." "

We've always been able to replay main missions. Why would it not be possible to play the mission once as Jacob, then go to the DNA menu, select the mission and replay it as Evie?

I understand the idea, But I don't think UBI will do it.

Unless they explain it in-game as being like a way to train assassin skills.;)

Otherwise it messes with the story. The animus relives memory's.
If Jacob wasn't in that place Evie was in, it couldn't be relived. <--- Unless they explain it in-game with S and R explaining how you can train your skills by replaying missions as a different twin.

Farlander1991
09-05-2015, 12:19 PM
This is a strange quote:

I think that's in relation to the side-missions in the open-world, which haven't been replayable in Unity and most likely won't be replayable in Syndicate.