PDA

View Full Version : What do u think of Unity's "flashbacks puzzles?" ***SPOILERS***

VoldR
09-01-2015, 08:10 PM
Should or could future games have it?

Personally I like it, though it makes less sense as to how he's able to do it let alone he or others weren't surprised about it...

There's no explanation that I know of, and I heard rumours it may be just Arno and alike that can do it.

But the reason I like it, is it makes a fun puzzle. Where I try to fit when each memory takes place to get a bigger picture.

Pre-Arno
As each memory is a sequence, from the past till most recent, so if an unfamiliar scene took place before a familiar one, it must have happened before that time.

Example:
I've compiled here what I believe was events before Arno's time (grown up)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg-k9GS0WtI

Points of view
Also piecing different people's point of view is interesting like the death of François de la Serre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAmjQYBy7Yk

At 24:20 mins

Here I pieces Arno's, Charles Gabriel Sivert & Roi des Thunes point of view

Bigger picture
Then there's this nice part when Arno was eavesdropping a long discussion amongst at least four Templars... With each death more dialog has been revealed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy-BLghf5zg

At around 35:10 we see the captain's interrogation not a bigger pic, but fun mix of scenes.

The meeting is at 37:25

As much as I would like to see more of this, unless there's a good reason others can see them too or ubi makes it just for players to see but not the character, that'll be weird but great, lol.

VestigialLlama4
09-01-2015, 08:25 PM
Should or could future games have it?

Provided its not done with the stupidity of Unity then yes.

But the reason I like it, is it makes a fun puzzle. Where I try to fit when each memory takes place to get a bigger picture.

The thing is the flashback puzzles literally give us nothing we didn't know. The Templars are plotting, we know this. The Templars killed Grand Master de la Serre, we know this. The Templars are manipulating the Revolution and working against the King, we know this too. The only plot-relevant purpose for this flashback is to give a name and a face for Arno to assassinate next. There's no real mystery or shocking revelation in any of these dying flashbacks. The only times it works is with Bellec and La Touche to some extent.

I prefer the Dying Monologue because they serve a key plot and thematic purpose. They allow the targets to be human and assert themselves, they give you some plot information and they drive home the fact that killing someone is a serious thing. That was the original purpose of this. In UNITY, Arno is just a psychopathic moron who investigates a murder by killing suspects and reading their minds.

D.I.D.
09-01-2015, 08:53 PM
I didn't think it needed explanation. It was the same foggy, scattered nature as Arno's pre-mission ability, and to me it seemed clear that this is all his Eagle Sense. I thought it was great, particularly as a way to begin missions and offer hints on how to begin, and the potential for future stories was huge in terms of the characters being misled by the fragments they see at first and corrected by the fragments they see later. It could be a very fitting way to examine "truth", which is a big AC theme. It's also a nice touch that the best knowledge requires the blood. AC1 required you to get up close to dip feathers in the blood, as a documentary pledge that you hit your target. Arno's talent requires him to do the same to receive another piece of the truth. I prefer it to the White Room in many ways - it neatens many aspects of the gameplay and the metaphysical story.

AC has its own strange take on genetics whereby Desmond could have the greatest concentration of TWCB genetic elements (I won't call them genes, because the lore hints that there's some parallel thing that's not quite the same). With that in mind, there's no problem with ancestors, especially the most recent ones, having crazy new abilities that we haven't seen before. Desmond died young and barely tested, so we can even see things Desmond never saw, within reason.

VoldR
09-02-2015, 11:18 AM
The thing is the flashback puzzles literally give us nothing we didn't know. The Templars are plotting, we know this. The Templars killed Grand Master de la Serre, we know this. The Templars are manipulating the Revolution and working against the King, we know this too.
personally, i never bothered looking for answers or to be shocked, as things r too predictable nowadays either because of poor writings or for people who watched too many shows or played too many games, practically have seen things in all angles...

what I look forward to it is just to see more of said events especially if so little is shown, even though we know full well what happened...

its like getting spoiled before watching a movie. i don't care for the spoilers, just want to personally see it take place.
or other example, i can see the same plot over & over again but in different people's point of view from different stories. :)

Maybe that's why i like Tiberium Wars too, showing different perspectives of the same event... we know there's an ion beam being shot down, but what are the people of Nod doing at the time, or the Skryn?
:)

Arno is just a psychopathic moron who investigates a murder by killing suspects and reading their minds.
i believe there are tales where when someone does have such abilities, they actually do it for such purpose. Oo

for its the ultimate truth if said visions are real and no chance for deception.

but anyway, since when did he do that?
he investigated murders the proper way, check mirabeu's surroundings, eavesdrops, learn location through others (Germain) then kill them, though it may be a wrong target,
but no where did he kill just to figure it out...

the confession mission, he didn't kill to find out, he already know it... he argued with Bellec why not kill him earlier.

the rat king, he went after him because he saw his involvement through Sivert's memories...

like the D.I.D. said, its more of a briefing of the next mission, than a conclusion of one.
:)