PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Oleg Maddox, plz consider the future of online play.

GK.
04-05-2004, 01:58 PM
I am well aware that the majority play il2:fb offline, however there is a huge market for online play and I only see this market expanding in the future. With competitions such as the ICAS, I think the popularity of online flying will go up. Perhaps we will one day see flight sims in other competitions all around the world.

That being said, I have a few humble suggestions that I hope you find useful.

1. I think it would be a nice feature to add limitations of plane choices. For example, limiting each side to 2 KIs or 2 and only 2 LA7, bf109z (whatever). If the majority of people are flying standard planes, the matchup will be more even. This would also be useful for servers aimed at historical realism. The best planes were not always available to all pilots. One idea I have is that the highest scoring player gets first plane choice.

2.That brings me to my second idea. The scoring system could use some work. A scoring system is necesarry for competition purposes. It should be revised so that kill stealing is minimized. Perhaps after a plane is critically hit, the kill should register. After a pilot is killed, there should be no opportunity for kill stealing. I am also for the idea of "kill sharing" or assists. People should get partial credit for putting a plane out of action. I think it would be good also to list kills as a number to complement the points. Im not saying get rid of the points entirely, but just display the amount of kills in addition to points.

3. The last idea I have is to implement an "auto team balance" feature. With this feature, a server admin can rest assured that he will not have to bug people to "even the teams."

That is all I can think of for now, please feel free to add your comments and concerns. No flames please, be constructive.

GK.
04-05-2004, 01:58 PM
I am well aware that the majority play il2:fb offline, however there is a huge market for online play and I only see this market expanding in the future. With competitions such as the ICAS, I think the popularity of online flying will go up. Perhaps we will one day see flight sims in other competitions all around the world.

That being said, I have a few humble suggestions that I hope you find useful.

1. I think it would be a nice feature to add limitations of plane choices. For example, limiting each side to 2 KIs or 2 and only 2 LA7, bf109z (whatever). If the majority of people are flying standard planes, the matchup will be more even. This would also be useful for servers aimed at historical realism. The best planes were not always available to all pilots. One idea I have is that the highest scoring player gets first plane choice.

2.That brings me to my second idea. The scoring system could use some work. A scoring system is necesarry for competition purposes. It should be revised so that kill stealing is minimized. Perhaps after a plane is critically hit, the kill should register. After a pilot is killed, there should be no opportunity for kill stealing. I am also for the idea of "kill sharing" or assists. People should get partial credit for putting a plane out of action. I think it would be good also to list kills as a number to complement the points. Im not saying get rid of the points entirely, but just display the amount of kills in addition to points.

3. The last idea I have is to implement an "auto team balance" feature. With this feature, a server admin can rest assured that he will not have to bug people to "even the teams."

That is all I can think of for now, please feel free to add your comments and concerns. No flames please, be constructive.

SeaFireLIV
04-05-2004, 02:14 PM
Well, I like the no. 2 and 3 ideas. As for no.1 I`m not sure.

The points system should be COMPLETELY overhauled so as to encourage teamwork, similar to America`s Army. That`s why no.2 is a good plan.

SeaFireLIV...

http://img12.photobucket.com/albums/v31/SeaFireLIV/spitfpetite.jpg

GK.
04-05-2004, 02:32 PM
To clarify, the first suggestion would be a serverside option. It is important to note that server admins could still be able to run a server without limitations on any plane.

WWMaxGunz
04-05-2004, 03:09 PM
It's a good thing that the better form of online play is COOP and not DF. DF is really a form of disorganized playground that sometimes players form up in. Fly, die, respawn, repeat as necessary; your mission is to kill, kill, kill. Permission to say "Wheeee!"?

Really, try CO-OPs for a while with people who stick to the mission. It will probably take lining things up ahead rather than just jump in with a bunch of others and learn or not as you go. A little organization and you'll have a btter experience with a definite team purpose.

Neal

GK.
04-05-2004, 04:57 PM
coops are nice but the majority of people prefer df, hyperlobby shows this to be true. That is not to say that you can have similar experiences on servers aimed at realism such as greatergreen. Personal preferance aside, I think these issues are important ones.

The future of competitive il2 lies in df servers. With the rising popularity of competitive flying such as the competition recently held in china, it is my opinion that the multiplayer, specifically df (not coop), deserves some tweaking to make it more acessible to everyone.

I_Jg3_BARKHORN
04-05-2004, 05:39 PM
sounds good perhaps a few more slots to mulity player(coop) connections are getiing better the average hardware stonger, perhaps a few more slot say 32 to 40.

LuftLuver
04-05-2004, 05:46 PM
GK,

Your #1 suggestion is already available to some degree. On one of the older Greatergreen maps the red side had P47s and something like 2-4 Yak3s. The Yaks were based at one particular base that would only accomodate a limited number of players.

WWMaxGunz
04-05-2004, 08:10 PM
Well if DF is going to rule as it were then it would be good if the host could make changes while it's running via an automatic program like fbdaemon. That could tell how many of what planes not only are up but have been used and change choices to suit.

It would also be nice to change ground objects and open or close bases depending on results of player actions.

Neal

xTHRUDx
04-05-2004, 10:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LuftLuver:
GK,

Your #1 suggestion is already available to some degree. On one of the older Greatergreen maps the red side had P47s and something like 2-4 Yak3s. The Yaks were based at one particular base that would only accomodate a limited number of players.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

he is correct, the size of the circle around the base determines the spawn limit of that base.

set the plane type(s) at that base, set the circle size at that base, and you'll get the solution to point #1

GK.
04-05-2004, 11:43 PM
it is not an effective solution, however, because sides can be uneven, or a mapper could elect to only have one base.

JaBo_HH--Gotcha
04-05-2004, 11:44 PM
Could you please explain the circle-size to number relation ?

I'm interested in this feature !!! I'm always limiting the circle to the size of the actual airfile (borders never wider then to cover runways)...
This would be cool, although it would require a lot of airfields...

http://www.g-c-p.de/sigbib/hh/gotcha.jpg

GK.
04-06-2004, 12:16 AM
yeah, i guess JaBos post is evidence of my point: plane limitations should be accessible to people that aren't familiar with the intricacies of map making.

The 'average joe' who buys il2 should be able to set up plane limits without a hassle. Also this feature makes the game more professional.

BlackstarUK
04-06-2004, 07:05 AM
Has anyone else ever played Air Attack? Until the UK server got shut down a while back this was a huge community. Straight forward 4 runways for 4 different countries planes, posibility to set the max number of planes per country and the plane types were limited. In the full arena's the number of kills you racked up earnt you promotions, until you reached a point where better spec planes were available, allowing you to move to more advanced arena's and party with the big boys. Rookie arena's let you hone your skills, with kill counts not counting towards promotion. Dead simple, great fun, no flying for hours to reach a single plane to have a crack at, and on occasion huge 30-40 plane furballs. How difficult would it be to set FB servers up like this?

P4 3ghz+HTT
ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe 800FSB
ASUS Radeon 9800XT 256
1GB DDR400 RAM
160GB Maxtor SATA 8m Cache
3DMark03 Score - 6643
CPU Temp - 24c

Tetrapharmakoi
04-06-2004, 07:31 AM
guys don't forget it is a simulation, not an arcade game , you have more people in dogfight , because you have less experienced pilots than newbies who just bought the game and want to have fun immediately.
you have a large number of people playing in squads and not often very young who like historical realism and immersive gameplay :
The future of FB online is on the realism of the FM DM and the complexity of the mission editor to make COOPs more realistic

mike_espo
04-06-2004, 08:01 AM
Good post. I would LOVE to only play coops, however, the problem is most coops play arcade settings with cockpit and externals. When those settings are in use, it is impossible to play realistic. Also, most coops don't use the planeset I like.

Does anybody do Med coops so we can use the Italian fighters? That would be great!!

"Fatte vede che ridemo!"http://www.flying-tigers.net/caccia%20WW%20II/g50.jpg

TgD-Sammie
04-06-2004, 12:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JaBo_HH--Gotcha:
Could you please explain the circle-size to number relation ?

I'm interested in this feature !!! I'm always limiting the circle to the size of the actual airfile (borders never wider then to cover runways)...
This would be cool, although it would require a lot of airfields...

http://www.g-c-p.de/sigbib/hh/gotcha.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It depends on the airbase.. For a basic understanding, visit here: http://www.greatergreen.com/il2/fmb/spawn-points.htm

Thanks,
Sammie

JaBo_HH--Gotcha
04-07-2004, 03:58 AM
Thanks man ! Salut !

http://www.g-c-p.de/sigbib/hh/gotcha.jpg

GK.
04-08-2004, 01:54 PM
agreed, online play is an important aspect of this simulation.

XyZspineZyX
04-08-2004, 07:14 PM
It's a more important part of the "game" aspect than of the simulation.

Only a VERY low % of online play simulates anything than a bunch of guys out only to fly their favorite plane, over whatever terrain map happens to be underneath them. Seems almost NOBODY is interested in exploring history, historical plane matchups, specific battles or even intelligent what-ifs based on changes in the course of historical battles.

If you dare mention "history", you're looked at as some kind of pariah; "how dare anyone mention history when that limits my (uneducated) choices???"

gates123
04-09-2004, 01:26 PM
Its from my experience that not only does scripted DF server on realistic settings attract the best pilots, it also makes the game much more immersive because more people tend to fly more air to ground sorties. If competitions were based on this then I think there would be alot less "quake" servers. If you had two teams of 6 or 8 needing to fly and fight to protect and/or destroy the ground targets to win then thats where I would sign up. I think if there was more online servers that catored to this crowd this game would get a huge lift in its online community and promote more team based tactics and less kill-stealing.

http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/justin/1087/WWII/Images/Thumbs/TBf109AK.jpg
Did anyone see that or was it just me?