PDA

View Full Version : Is nobody going to talk about the fact that Unity has better graphics than Syndicate?

EmptyCrustacean
08-30-2015, 10:45 PM
Just the character models, at least. The motion capture and textures of Arno and the like were much better than Syndicate. I wonder if it's because they put so much time into the game play and ironing out bugs this time that they didn't have time to deal with graphics? This reminds me of the AC3 to AC4 downgrade. Whilst AC4 had beautiful landscapes, there's no denying that the facial animations and character models were poor in comparison to ACIII.

I mean look at this beauty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50iB10nWKu4

And then look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zWhCtBIbN8

Matknapers18
08-31-2015, 12:00 AM
Yeah I noticed this too, the facial hair in that Syndicate trailer looks kinda hilarious.

I think the disappointing graphics haven't been mentioned much by fans, purely because they have been overshadowed by other issues. There is so much to criticise with syndicate, and visuals rank relatively low on the priority scale.You will find fans complaining about the combat or the stealth or the driving or the UI. With so much that could go wrong with this game and so much scepticism, the graphics are kinda insignificant at this point. Why would I complain about visuals when I can't even be certain that the game has a functioning combat system.

Besides, sure they aren't as good as Unity, but they are still pretty damn brilliant

Daanage
08-31-2015, 12:26 AM
It was an artistic decision. Grainy textures feel more cinematic :)

CrossedEagle
08-31-2015, 12:38 AM
I think one of the "hand waves" for the worse graphics in ACS is all of the pollution in London. After this summer where the sky has constantly been full of smoke from a few states over I can believe it. That excuse doesn't really cover facial animations though, but the environment.

EmbodyingSeven5
08-31-2015, 01:20 AM
Didn't the same thing happen between AC-AC2 and AC3-AC4?

Xstantin
08-31-2015, 01:48 AM
I'd prefer it a bit more desaturated but it seems like people prefer the games colorful.
Darwin's beard is hilarious in that trailer :rolleyes:

Norrin_Radd_1966
08-31-2015, 02:11 AM
Yeah I've noticed this as well - so far. There are times when Syndicate looks brilliant though, so I'm holding off judgment until I play it.

TBH, I'm a bit of a graphics wh0re. For me, beautiful graphics can make me forgive a lot of other faults. Probably one of the reasons I really dug Unity.

Wolfmeister1010
08-31-2015, 04:01 AM
They just need to fix draw distance, textures, and maybe character models.

Lighting, particle effects, reflections, weather, and shadows look just as good, if not better, than Unity in my opinion.

But the textures and draw distance issues are REALLY noticeable.

I expected more from this game graphically, especially considering the combination of DX12 release (which can have a 30% performance increase) and a years worth of optimizing Unity tech. Unity runs fine now.

SofaJockey
08-31-2015, 11:31 AM
The lesson of Unity is that graphics aren't everything...

EmptyCrustacean
08-31-2015, 11:58 AM
The lesson of Unity is that graphics aren't everything...

That wasn't the lesson. The lesson was that you shouldn't put out a game if it's not finished just to meet annual release as it will damage the brand - which it most certainly has. One of the things I've noticed since becoming a serious gamer is that a dev company is only as good as their last instalment. You can put out several fantastic games but if the next one is bad you'll see sales for the follow-up drop - despite years of brand loyalty.

I'd prefer it a bit more desaturated but it seems like people prefer the games colorful.
Darwin's beard is hilarious in that trailer :rolleyes:

Looks like paper lol

JWRK
08-31-2015, 12:55 PM
Anything but short-cropped hair has always looked terrible in these games.

Shahkulu101
08-31-2015, 03:50 PM
Syndicate seems to have toned down visual fidelity in order to avoid another Unity-esque performance fiasco.

But that's just my guess. It seems that after every "big" title which changes a lot of things, the installment after that is toned down. AC4 wasn't only graphically inferior to AC3, it had worse animations and in general just had lower production value. This is what Syndicate will be to Unity IMO.

So you kind of have to ask: why set the bar so high if you can't retain the same level of quality in the sequel?

Hans684
08-31-2015, 04:37 PM
Don't really care, I want the meat of the game too be good. A relevant and conflicting story with moral dilemmas and shades of gray that moves the entire plot further. Progress, depth and ambition is all I ask for. But it's Yolahem that's writer so I don't expect all of that.

Xstantin
08-31-2015, 05:50 PM
But it's Yolahem that's writer so I don't expect all of that.

"Gimme the shroud, it's mine not yours"

I like listening to his interviews, usually it's some awesome what if stuff, like that Red violin concept
but child-trafficking baddy Templars from the previews don't give me much hope :nonchalance:

Hans684
08-31-2015, 06:01 PM
"Gimme the shroud, it's mine not yours"

"As you wish. I shall find [the Shroud] without your help and then, I'll strangle you with it."
― Thorne to Evie, 1868.

I like listening to his interviews, usually it's some awesome what if stuff, like that Red violin concept
but child-trafficking baddy Templars from the previews don't give me much hope :nonchalance:

His interviews has more depth than his writing. The Red Violin concept is great but it would make every protagonist before the last one worthless and a waste of time since the last protagonist hiding the artifact is the only protagonist worth reliving the life. It's a good concept but bad story wise unless each protagonist has another importance beyond the Red Violin. So I'm happy then didn't use the concept, Unity is filler enough with just Arno and the Unknown Templar. Don't need to bring the same shame on several others because of a concept. I never had any hope to begin with, so I'm more exited for the movie.

EmptyCrustacean
08-31-2015, 06:53 PM
I liked Brotherhood and Far Cry 3 - the former because of how well the Brotherhood was actually implemented into the story and gameplay so if he can do that with Syndicate that would be great.

I see that many people think the graphics are "good enough" and are more concerned with the gameplay itself. I just think there's no reason why one has to cancel out the others.

GunnerGalactico
08-31-2015, 07:38 PM
Better graphics doesn't necessarily mean better game.

The graphics in AC2 were inferior to that of AC1, but I found AC2 overall slightly more enjoyable.

dxsxhxcx
08-31-2015, 08:28 PM
Syndicate seems to have toned down visual fidelity in order to avoid another Unity-esque performance fiasco.

But that's just my guess. It seems that after every "big" title which changes a lot of things, the installment after that is toned down. AC4 wasn't only graphically inferior to AC3, it had worse animations and in general just had lower production value. This is what Syndicate will be to Unity IMO.

So you kind of have to ask: why set the bar so high if you can't retain the same level of quality in the sequel?

because people will buy it anyway...

HoyHoyJake
08-31-2015, 09:20 PM
Graphics are nice and all, but gameplay is king

dazzlerazzle84
08-31-2015, 09:39 PM
All I see is comparison of two heavily YouTube compressed videos

Farlander1991
08-31-2015, 10:26 PM

Well, it's a matter of trade-offs and compromises for the new features to add. Here's the thing, when dealing with technology you can't really optimize it from the get go perfectly, it takes time to do so, but for that to happen technology has to be established first. I mean, as a broad example, look at how different the games from the beginning of last-gen cycle and the end of it look vastly different in terms of graphical fidelity - and that's all on the same hardware! The reason being knowing how to use the technology and hardware effeciently. So, when you add a bunch of new gameplay or graphical features, sometimes you have to sacrifice something a bit.

The AC games with graphical downgrades in comparison to previous installments are AC2, AC4 and ACS, and all have things that previous installment didn't. Let's take a look:
AC1 - static baked lighting, dynamic crowd (you can remove or add it when necessary, and I don't know how on consoles but on PC there's also a setting for crowd density).
AC2 - dynamic global lighting (that requires a lot of calculation), in cities that are larger than AC1's (no AC1 city is as large as Florence or Venice, they're massive in comparison), with crowds that have to be constantly there as it's a gameplay element that can't be removed, as well as full character customization (armor, color), meaning you can't have just one model and texture set. And ACB is an example of a game that shows what happens when technology becomes familiar - it's graphical fidelity is much higher than AC2's but retains the same new features that were absent from AC1.

AC3 - it has a much higher graphical fidelity overall, but it uses several tricks, such as: high quality models and textures for cinematic cutscenes (also one of the reasons why customization is often not shown in them - there wasn't enough space for all of it in high quality), the models used in game are a lot more modest in quality, it heavily utilizes sprites for foilage and crowds in the distance, and the horse sprint, btw, is limited because they couldn't make the environment load fast enough - so they had to force the player to slow down (in one of ToKW interviews it was mentioned how the eagle power was a technical achievement for them)
AC4 - AC4 overall has lower graphical fidelity than AC3, however, AC4 has a very big water open world that works properly on last-gen consoles, and that's quite a thing - water simulation (with dynamic weather) is consuming, you have to process stuff on land, water and ships, you can't have sprites in place for models because with such a dynamic environment it can be tricky to change them properly (so when you use the spyglass with zoom in the actual characters have to be there, be it on land or on ships). The reason why cities and large locations are cut off from this open world is because it was too much to handle for the last-gen for it to be all on the same map. Also, AC4 uses its game models for cutscenes, not high quality ones. But on the bright side, all customization shows properly.

Now, it's hard to say what has changed in ACS in comparison to ACU until we see it, however there are a couple of things we kinda already know about: the dynamic change of day is back. Well, to be honest, ACU also had dynamic change of day (i.e. time wasn't static if you'd play without loading for a long time), but it was very slow. It's faster in ACS, more in line with previous games. That's calculation power. If we to believe the information provided, the city has a larger area than Paris one in which we can navigate on pretty fast vehicles - carriages and trains, so areas and models have to be loaded faster. Though not sure if that's enough to fully justify the change, but maybe there's more - it's hard to tell based on trailers alone.

But then again, we might see improvements in the final release, as this is how horrible Vane's hair looked in one of the trailers:

http://i2.wp.com/www.cgmeetup.net/home/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Assassins-Creed-4-The-Pirate-Heist-Trailer-6.jpg?resize=960%2C540

and while AC4 doesn't have the most awesome hair, it's certainly better than that :p

Shahkulu101
09-01-2015, 12:37 AM
Thanks Farlander, that certainly makes things clearer.

Is there a similar explanation for the combat in AC4 not being quite as good in comparison to AC3? You can attribute the simplified archetypes to design, but the quality of the animations is lacking. I always assumed things like that were due to budget.

Wolfmeister1010
09-01-2015, 04:12 AM
Unity runs fine for me now. Except for in vegetation dense areas. I don't think crowds have anything to do with the performance issues to be honest. Otherwise that one germain assassination mission with the ing beheading would have broken the game or at least have caused SOME framerate drops. They even explained in depth in a dev video that the crowds didn't cause much performance loss.

It was mostly interiors, and piss poor optimization from a brand new engine.

Syndicate seems to have a horrid time loading the scene fast enough when on trains or carriages, to the point where the low quality models persist until Jacob was like 20 meters away in the e3 demo on the train.

But I believe that with the benefit of an extra year's worth of polishing the engine, the presence of DX12 (which I hope it uses), and the cutbacks on interiors, the game has no reason to suffer from poorer textures, horrid draw distance, and whatnot.

However, during a recent ubicentral video showcasing some carriage gameplay and Kukri combat, the game seems a LOT better. Textures are very sharp, lighting is gorgeous. I notice that the game has started to use a lighting and fog effect to mask the draw distance a little bit. It looks more like a sheet of sunlight than a traditional foggy haze. I kinda like it.

I don't know what you guys are talking about with AC4 "downgrade" compared to AC3. Well, the character models I can understand. But other than that the last gen version looked to me just as graphically good as AC3.

Of course next gen AC4 was gorgeous with the excellent particle effects, foliage, godrays, smoke, water tech, and GI.

Farlander1991
09-01-2015, 07:50 AM
Thanks Farlander, that certainly makes things clearer.

Is there a similar explanation for the combat in AC4 not being quite as good in comparison to AC3? You can attribute the simplified archetypes to design, but the quality of the animations is lacking. I always assumed things like that were due to budget.

Purely animation quality is usually due to budget, however, as AC4 actually reuses most of AC3 combat animations and they don't look as AC3, there might be some technical issues related to that. Can't really say more than that. Maybe has something to do with Edward having a bit different skeleton than Connor.

SixKeys
09-01-2015, 11:35 AM
It feels deceptive to me. The first game on the new consoles always looks freaking amazing, as if to promise that ALL games henceforth will look like that now that the hardware is better, and then the second game inevitably has a graphics downgrade. Sure, you get some new things, but sometimes the tradeoff isn't really worth it. AC2 looks terrible in comparison to AC1. A huge part of AC1's charm was its amazing lighting and none of the other games have achieved the same quality of lighting, not even Unity. You could argue that's the price you have to pay for day/night cycle and different filters in different parts of the city, except Unity has none of that. I'm probably in the minority, but I would give anything to see another game with AC1's detailed atmosphere, even if it meant stripping the gameplay down to its barest essence.

strigoi1958
09-01-2015, 11:53 AM
Sixkeys raises a good point... maybe emphasis is placed on graphics when a new or next gen is launched so people can see what the difference is from last gen.

Then they settle more into the important things that make the game enjoyable at a level without lag.

Gold31415
09-01-2015, 02:30 PM
AC3 - it has a much higher graphical fidelity overall, but it uses several tricks, such as: high quality models and textures for cinematic cutscenes (also one of the reasons why customization is often not shown in them - there wasn't enough space for all of it in high quality), the models used in game are a lot more modest in quality, it heavily utilizes sprites for foilage and crowds in the distance, and the horse sprint, btw, is limited because they couldn't make the environment load fast enough - so they had to force the player to slow down (in one of ToKW interviews it was mentioned how the eagle power was a technical achievement for them)
AC4 - AC4 overall has lower graphical fidelity than AC3, however, AC4 has a very big water open world that works properly on last-gen consoles, and that's quite a thing - water simulation (with dynamic weather) is consuming, you have to process stuff on land, water and ships, you can't have sprites in place for models because with such a dynamic environment it can be tricky to change them properly (so when you use the spyglass with zoom in the actual characters have to be there, be it on land or on ships). The reason why cities and large locations are cut off from this open world is because it was too much to handle for the last-gen for it to be all on the same map. Also, AC4 uses its game models for cutscenes, not high quality ones. But on the bright side, all customization shows properly.

I don't really agree with some of that. Graphically AC4 was to my mind far superior to AC3. The beaufort scaling at sea, the god rays, ambient occlusion performance, subsurface scattering (rooftop sails in havanna), the use of PhysX for smoke, dynamic foliage, volumetric fog lighting performance. AC3 had -none- of those.

Check the tech trailer at:
http://www.geforce.com/games-applications/pc-games/assassins-creed-4-black-flag/videos

and

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-graphics-and-performance-guide

AC3 just had the bad fps luck of being the first iteration of AnvilNext, we all remember the 20 fps we got in Boston prepatch.

The problem with Unity apart from the terrible "who cares" story and ending was (in my opinion) that it was a buggy technical disaster, with AnvilNext 2.0 allowing devs to automatically generate and scale scenery and assets (to shorten dev time) was what led to it being buggy as hell on release. Patches fixed that but the terrible story remained.

As for Syndicate looking worse than Unity:

It is definitely going to look worse as it's one of those titles like "Assassin's Creed: Rogue", or Freedom Cry, Aveline, etc. That is not developed by Ubisoft Montreal but by Ubisoft Quebec, which has far fewer assets to throw at development.

In any case, at least it will run fast :) Lets just hope Yohalem (story writer) is up to early Corey May level, and not the disaster that was Unity (Travis Stout).

Farlander1991
09-01-2015, 03:09 PM
The beaufort scaling at sea, the god rays, ambient occlusion performance, subsurface scattering (rooftop sails in havanna), the use of PhysX for smoke, dynamic foliage, volumetric fog lighting performance. AC3 had -none- of those.

AC4 also has none of those in the last-gen version. I should've noted that I was comparing AC3 and AC4 from the same-gen. Next-gen AC4 obviously has a bunch improvements (and the PC version has a couple more than the PS4/X1), though there's still a couple things that AC3 takes the top.

Jessigirl2013
09-02-2015, 12:01 PM
Just the character models, at least. The motion capture and textures of Arno and the like were much better than Syndicate. I wonder if it's because they put so much time into the game play and ironing out bugs this time that they didn't have time to deal with graphics? This reminds me of the AC3 to AC4 downgrade. Whilst AC4 had beautiful landscapes, there's no denying that the facial animations and character models were poor in comparison to ACIII.

I mean look at this beauty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50iB10nWKu4

And then look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zWhCtBIbN8
Really, I didn't notice this, But all the demos have been on console so far...
PC is probably better, :rolleyes:

But IMO I thought the character models looks way better than Unity ;)

Jessigirl2013
09-02-2015, 12:07 PM
Well, it's a matter of trade-offs and compromises for the new features to add. Here's the thing, when dealing with technology you can't really optimize it from the get go perfectly, it takes time to do so, but for that to happen technology has to be established first. I mean, as a broad example, look at how different the games from the beginning of last-gen cycle and the end of it look vastly different in terms of graphical fidelity - and that's all on the same hardware! The reason being knowing how to use the technology and hardware effeciently. So, when you add a bunch of new gameplay or graphical features, sometimes you have to sacrifice something a bit.

The AC games with graphical downgrades in comparison to previous installments are AC2, AC4 and ACS, and all have things that previous installment didn't. Let's take a look:
AC1 - static baked lighting, dynamic crowd (you can remove or add it when necessary, and I don't know how on consoles but on PC there's also a setting for crowd density).
AC2 - dynamic global lighting (that requires a lot of calculation), in cities that are larger than AC1's (no AC1 city is as large as Florence or Venice, they're massive in comparison), with crowds that have to be constantly there as it's a gameplay element that can't be removed, as well as full character customization (armor, color), meaning you can't have just one model and texture set. And ACB is an example of a game that shows what happens when technology becomes familiar - it's graphical fidelity is much higher than AC2's but retains the same new features that were absent from AC1.

Now, it's hard to say what has changed in ACS in comparison to ACU until we see it, however there are a couple of things we kinda already know about: the dynamic change of day is back. Well, to be honest, ACU also had dynamic change of day (i.e. time wasn't static if you'd play without loading for a long time), but it was very slow. It's faster in ACS, more in line with previous games. That's calculation power. If we to believe the information provided, the city has a larger area than Paris one in which we can navigate on pretty fast vehicles - carriages and trains, so areas and models have to be loaded faster. Though not sure if that's enough to fully justify the change, but maybe there's more - it's hard to tell based on trailers alone.

But then again, we might see improvements in the final release, as this is how horrible Vane's hair looked in one of the trailers:

and while AC4 doesn't have the most awesome hair, it's certainly better than that :p

Eww.... That looks awful.

ze_topazio
09-02-2015, 12:35 PM
As long as it plays better and is a better game, that's all that matters.

D.I.D.
09-02-2015, 01:05 PM
I'm prepared for something to be sacrificed.

It's always irked me in these games that the character models diverge so far from their portraits, even when their portraits are right there in the game! Portraits can be unreliable; some artists were afflicted with a disease known today on Tumblr as Same Face, while others were more interested in applying their copy of a fashionable artist's style of facial structure to whoever was sitting for them at the time, accuracy be damned. With sensible analysis, we can correct for that an get a decent idea of how someone really looked. Beyond portraits, we have death masks and life masks cast directly from the faces of a great many historical figures.

So I'm glad to see that Darwin and ****ens look as they should (beard opinions/beta version beard debates notwithstanding). I hope if the old games are ever remastered, there is at least a menu option for "Historically faithful models [X]".

Jessigirl2013
09-02-2015, 02:22 PM
As long as it plays better and is a better game, that's all that matters.

We all know it will be a finished game, unlike Unity.

But it makes you wonder what they sacrifice in order to meet the deadline...

Fatal-Feit
09-02-2015, 04:27 PM
Well, if Syndicate has better aesthetics, which it seems to have, then downgraded graphics won't be too much of an issue, especially if the game performs well in comparison.

RVSage
09-02-2015, 05:26 PM
This time around they have used a lot of pre-alpha and alpha footage, which I believe is to reduce expectations. For instance the gamescom demo looked way better than the first demo. The E3 2nd demo was between them. I believe by launch people will see it is no different. The thing I guess is cheating people's eye maybe the brighter color palette

BananaBlighter
09-02-2015, 05:38 PM
As RVSage said, I believe they're deliberately showing us early footage to lower our expectations. Those videos of the carriage and combat gameplay looked much better and seem more up to date with graphics, however less polished overall, which confuses me a bit. There were more pop-ins in that video than maybe even the E3 playable demo, and the combat looked a lot like what we saw in the original reveal rather than anything else we'd seen at around the same time (it'd greatly improved in the Evie demo IMO). Maybe they're downgrading the graphics for the demos below the standard of they're latest build???

Doug-E-Fresh0126
09-04-2015, 04:01 PM
First off I don't see how u could possibly know that when the game is not out yet. The trailers are not necessarily how the game would look. I think what is worse then that is how AC 3 has better graphics then AC Rogue, I mean way better. I actually played AC 3 again the other day and loved it again just like the first time I played it. I do not see what people's problem is with that game other then connor's attitude. It has everything AC is supposed to have. No wonder why AC unity was such a mess, they do it perfect on AC 3 and everyone complains so they completely switch it up on Unity and everyone still *****es. What gets me is that video they put out talking about how they went back to square one and re-did everything from the ground up and they expect people to believe that but yet they still have a game coming out this year. I never heard of a company completely starting over and still be able to release on schedule, it don't happen. I know i went off topic but this been bothering me for a while now, I can not believe ubisoft thinks people are that dumb. whatever.

Xstantin
09-04-2015, 04:40 PM
It has everything AC is supposed to have.

No it doesn't

Jessigirl2013
09-05-2015, 11:32 AM
This time around they have used a lot of pre-alpha and alpha footage, which I believe is to reduce expectations. For instance the gamescom demo looked way better than the first demo. The E3 2nd demo was between them. I believe by launch people will see it is no different. The thing I guess is cheating people's eye maybe the brighter color palette

I agree,
That pop-in in the early demos was so awful we knew if could be in the final game.
But they showed it was still present in the Evie demo... It didn't say it was Alpha...;)

Man Anarkia
01-10-2016, 06:16 PM
if your character had a beard they'd recognize it but both games are trash ac3 has better beards then both

SixKeys
01-10-2016, 07:25 PM
Insufficient beard technology: 0/10 game

Rioz22222
01-10-2016, 08:59 PM
AC Unity was totally fixed after 5th patch besides AC unity graphics totally are good as it's Cinematic trailer just poor combat and let's not forget better lightening work
syndicate was more gamplay no good story bad ending bad graphics ( it was more like animated movies than real movie which was Unity .... )

ze_topazio
01-10-2016, 09:02 PM
Hair customization in future games would be nice.

SixKeys
01-10-2016, 09:50 PM
Hair customization in future games would be nice.

Why? We wear a hood at least 50% of the time.

ze_topazio
01-11-2016, 12:13 AM
For those other 50% when we don't wear the hood, and in the case of the guys there's also facial hair.

Rioz22222
01-11-2016, 09:26 AM
or at least we have a key for hood on/off in future AC games ...

pacmanate
01-11-2016, 01:22 PM
AC Unity was totally fixed after 5th patch besides AC unity graphics totally are good as it's Cinematic trailer just poor combat and let's not forget better lightening work
syndicate was more gamplay no good story bad ending bad graphics ( it was more like animated movies than real movie which was Unity .... )

You really liked ACU's story more than Syndicates?

I disliked Unity's story for lots of reasons but the main one was how disjointed it was. Those flashback sequences every time you killed a target giving you random glimpses at varying points in time jumping back and forth was so jarring for me. I only really understood the story on my second playthrough.

Civona
01-11-2016, 01:29 PM
syndicate was the damage control game. they did whatever they could to make it perform and control well.

the next one will have time to try the fancier visuals again. and it'll probably be less boring and samey-looking than most of Unity's Paris.

not world-shattering stuff

pacmanate
01-11-2016, 01:32 PM
syndicate was the damage control game. they did whatever they could to make it perform and control well.

the next one will have time to try the fancier visuals again. and it'll probably be less boring and samey-looking than most of Unity's Paris.

I doubt we will get fancier visuals. Unity was an AC3 in terms of ambition and it didn't work.

The visuals, crowds and interior designs in 1/4 houses caused the game to run poorly. Thats why Syndicate went for lower res textures, less crowds, and less interiors.

RVSage
01-11-2016, 02:36 PM
I doubt we will get fancier visuals. Unity was an AC3 in terms of ambition and it didn't work.

The visuals, crowds and interior designs in 1/4 houses caused the game to run poorly. Thats why Syndicate went for lower res textures, less crowds, and less interiors.

The textures were more or less the same, as unity the main downgrade was the replacement of baked static lighting, with a image based dynamic lighting, this changed the way light reflected on objects, thus removing the realistic feel, yes crowds were reduced and interiors were cut

cawatrooper9
01-11-2016, 04:36 PM
Yeah, I can't really speak for cinematics, but in gameplay I think Syndicate is the better. Unity was grittier, which is sort of a cheat to make a game look better- just look at AC1 vs the comparatively cartoonish AC2 to see how that works.

However, go ahead and climb Big Ben and look out at the Thames. Syndicate is absolutely beautiful, and though Unity was too, it was an empty and grim beauty. Syndicate is vibrant.

Jackdaw951
01-12-2016, 02:45 PM

I don't know about damage control, but yes--Syndicate performs much better on the Xbox One than Unity. I'm a function-over-form guy, so that's fine with me. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't impressed with Ubi's Paris, though, especially the interiors (http://i.imgur.com/JpLw6T8.jpg).

pacmanate
01-12-2016, 04:39 PM
The textures were more or less the same, as unity the main downgrade was the replacement of baked static lighting, with a image based dynamic lighting, this changed the way light reflected on objects, thus removing the realistic feel, yes crowds were reduced and interiors were cut
You play on PC though, correct? That's probably why the textures don't look lower res.

I don't know about damage control, but yes--Syndicate performs much better on the Xbox One than Unity. I'm a function-over-form guy, so that's fine with me. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't impressed with Ubi's Paris, though, especially the interiors (http://i.imgur.com/JpLw6T8.jpg).

Definitely, but like AC3, ACU was technically ahead of its time for consoles at least.

Denzio900
03-05-2017, 07:48 PM
Didn't the same thing happen between AC-AC2 and AC3-AC4?
I agree that AC4 generally looked less of a graphical powerhouse like AC3, but ACII did improve from AC1. The only thing is, the PS3 version of AC1 is bigger (in terms of GB) compared to ACII (PS3).

Helforsite
03-06-2017, 03:11 PM
I agree that AC4 generally looked less of a graphical powerhouse like AC3, but ACII did improve from AC1. The only thing is, the PS3 version of AC1 is bigger (in terms of GB) compared to ACII (PS3).

I disagree about AC4 being graphically inferior to AC3. I dont know if its the brighter colors or less of the not that good snow textures, but I think AC4 looked graphically better than AC3.

Usercake
03-06-2017, 06:09 PM
Yeah, I can't really speak for cinematics, but in gameplay I think Syndicate is the better. Unity was grittier, which is sort of a cheat to make a game look better- just look at AC1 vs the comparatively cartoonish AC2 to see how that works.

However, go ahead and climb Big Ben and look out at the Thames. Syndicate is absolutely beautiful, and though Unity was too, it was an empty and grim beauty. Syndicate is vibrant.

damn Grainy textures I ****ing hate them so much they remind me of old movies

Crucify Lucifer
03-09-2017, 05:56 PM
I find Unity to be the most beautiful AC game but I don't like the slow, blubbery physics when you move or try to do something (i.e. taking cover quickly when guards notice you).

joshoolhorst
03-12-2017, 08:54 AM
Because after the disaster launch of AC Unity they wanted the game to be good as possible, I remember a interview in 2015 they removed the multiplayer so they could focus more on the game if this is true than I am happy

EchoFiveKilo
03-19-2017, 09:22 AM
Unity had a better city atmosphere, better visuals, better combat. In my opinion its better in every way, such a shame it had a messy launch. Im playing it now after all the patches and the game runs just fine.

MasterAssasin84
03-21-2017, 10:30 PM
Assassins Creed Unity was everything Ive ever wanted in an Assassins Creed - But not enough if that makes sense ,

For example Visually Unity is stunning the Architectural detail on the Notre Dame Cathedral , the Paris Skyline , and even the interior detail was visually eye opening and I was deeply sucked in by the political story line that exposed the struggles of opinion and leadership within the Assassins and the Templars , but the combat and the Parkour felt very broken in some areas , whilst it was refreshing in a sense that you had to use your whit and and quick thinking , and I do not think the combat was executed as well as it was in Syndicate which felt far more fluid , I felt syndicate was more enjoyable from a game play point of view despite the graphics being slightly second rate to unity .

Syndicates Combat animations was vastly more exciting than Unity like the triple take down which was very fun , I think Unity did Lack the fun factor as Syndicate was lots of fun to play and I felt more connected to Jacob as an Assassin than I did with Arno .