PDA

View Full Version : We better get a LOOOONG Main Story this time.

Defalt221
08-28-2015, 06:36 PM
Unity was like the second shortest AAA game in the series. One of the reasons why character development was weak.

I hope Syndicate gets a very long story this time. Also, they could combine murder-mysteries to assassination black box missions = true investigation + assassination.

EmptyCrustacean
08-28-2015, 06:43 PM
Unity was like the second shortest AAA game in the series. One of the reasons why character development was weak.

I hope Syndicate gets a very long story this time. Also, they could combine murder-mysteries to assassination black box missions = true investigation + assassination.

Yes. YES.

btw which was the shortest?

I think AC2 was the longest with AC1 a close second.

Matknapers18
08-28-2015, 06:49 PM
I hope so too. Especially considering that they've ditched multiplayer and co-op to focus on singe player exclusively.

Some sequences in Unity had like 1 or 2 missions.

Defalt221
08-28-2015, 06:50 PM
btw which was the shortest?

AC Rogue. 5 hours.

I think AC2 was the longest with AC1 a close second.

No. In terms of story length: AC2 = longest. AC3 = close second.

I hope so too. Especially considering that they've ditched multiplayer and co-op to focus on singe player exclusively.

Some sequences in Unity had like 1 or 2 missions.

IMO, Unity would have been longer IF they included Co-Op missions (they have stories too !) into the main campaign.

dimbismp
08-28-2015, 06:52 PM
I agree that ACU felt short.I would really appreciate 1-2 sequences more.The thig is that each sequence had 2-3 missions,which disappointed me.

However,length=/=quality.I would prefer an excellent 12-13 hours story(like TLOU),rather than a 25 hours story that has ACU quality.Even when the story is good though,sometimes it is better to have a short and tight story,rather than having like 5 awesome moments,with boring periods in between.

That said,i am almost certain that ACS will be quite longer than ACU,as the team is 100% focused on the main campaign this time.I am sure that if it weren't for the coop missions,ACU's story would be longer

EmptyCrustacean
08-28-2015, 06:59 PM
AC Rogue. 5 hours.

I mean other than Rogue (to me Rogue is glorified DLC)

CrossedEagle
08-28-2015, 07:05 PM
I was disappointed that ACU was so short. At least they (sort of) had the excuse that they also had co-op missions and had to adapt to a new engine. ACS had better be longer if there's no co-op/multiplayer and this is the second time around with the new engine.

Farlander1991
08-28-2015, 07:05 PM
AC2 campaign (without DLC) is actually the same length as Unity. The game has a lot of missions, but they're incredibly short, one ACU mission equals 3-4 AC2 missions (for example, AC2's first sequence with 12 missions is almost as long as ACU's 1st sequence with 3 missions... heck, in ACU's first mission we have a 15 year or so timespan jump!)

I did calculations a while ago, how long it takes to complete just story missions (i.e. without any walking in between) and no modern day (in ACU's case - time anomalies as well). As a reference professional walkthroughs were used, ones which would go straight to the point with no failures or hiccups. Here are the results:

AC2:
Seq1 - 38m
Seq2 - 22m
Seq3 - 38m
Seq4 - 30m
Seq5 - 29m
Seq6 - 13m
Seq7 - 45m
Seq8 - 28m
Seq9 - 28m
Seq10 - 23m
Seq11 - 20m
Seq12(dlc) - 30m
Seq13(dlc) - 35m
Seq14 - 25m

Original - 5h 39m
dlc - 1h 5m
Both: 6h 44m

AC4
Seq1 - 18m
Seq2 - 68m
Seq3 - 79m
Seq4 - 28m
Seq5 - 34m
Seq6 - 39m
Seq7 - 35m
Seq8 - 33m
Seq9 - 30m
Seq10 - 52m
Seq11 - 31m
Seq12 - 52m
Seq13 - 9m

Original: 8h 28m

ACU:
Prologue - 8m
Seq1 - 32m
Seq2 - 32m
Seq3 - 20m
Seq4 - 30m
Seq5 - 29m
Seq6 - 22m
Seq7 - 35m
Seq8 - 30m
Seq9 - 28m
Seq10 - 22m
Seq11 - 33m
Seq12 - 49m
Original: 5:50

Didn't count times for AC4's and ACU's DLCs, but they're kinda post stories, so yeah.

Honestly, AC2 doesn't have much character development in it aside from Ezio. It's got ****tons of characters that appear just for a little while. AC4, for example, while has less missions, is more meaty and uses its character time in a more quality way.

D.I.D.
08-28-2015, 07:29 PM
As I always say, I'll take a good main campaign that I'm dying to play again over an epic that was a slog to get through the only time I'll ever play it.

strigoi1958
08-28-2015, 07:37 PM
it also is important how replayable (is that a new word I invented ;) ) the game is... I have no idea how long some games are but I've played (replayed) games for over 500 hours and some over 700 hours... others like Mass Effect 3 was uninstalled after 20 minutes...

Ubi has always given me games that I enjoy exploring and trying to get to 100%... I don't think I've managed that ever but the extra time that is spent while enjoying it is great...
AC4 the sailing, sea, water swilling across the decks, the storms, battles, shanties, sunken treasure and whaling were all so good I didn't use fast travel all that extra in game time was brilliant.

AC2 took me 60 hours... 25 hours gameplay and 35 hours stuck in those awful timed lever tombs... it would probably be my favourite game instead of my least favourite if the tombs didn't exist. Those extra LOOOOOOOOONG hours did not make the game better in any way for me.
Hey D.I.D. I have to check to see whether I wrote your posts or you wrote mine... we're always on the same wavelength ;)

HDinHB
08-28-2015, 07:57 PM
Long would be okay. Good would be better.

Pandassin
08-28-2015, 08:17 PM
Hopefully it's the length of AC4. That was the perfect story length in my opinion, not too long, not too short.

I don't mind long story lines, however I don't want missions that are only there just for the sake of making the game longer, rather than to progress the story further.

So if Syndicate gets a long story, I hope all the missions will have a point (or at least most of them).

VestigialLlama4
08-28-2015, 08:24 PM
AC2 campaign (without DLC) is actually the same length as Unity. The game has a lot of missions, but they're incredibly short, one ACU mission equals 3-4 AC2 missions (for example, AC2's first sequence with 12 missions is almost as long as ACU's 1st sequence with 3 missions... heck, in ACU's first mission we have a 15 year or so timespan jump!)
Honestly, AC2 doesn't have much character development in it aside from Ezio. It's got ****tons of characters that appear just for a little while. AC4, for example, while has less missions, is more meaty and uses its character time in a more quality way.

Well you know the saying there are no small parts, only small actors. AC2 may not be longer than Unity but nothing in it is small whereas the extended time given to Unity's smaller cast is not enough to stretch them out.

In any case, length is very tricky to measure. In a game like Syndicate set in a single year 1868, logically it can't really have the same vast sprawl that AC2 does(its like what twenty five years) or AC3 (Nearly thirty years divided between two protagonists but the main action is seven or eight years). Black Flag has 7 years.

I think Syndicate will be as long as Brotherhood and Revelations in terms of main story and side missions. They don't have tombs in Syndicate apparently and from what we see the Side Missions are simpler and systemic so anyone expecting the cornucopia of side activities in Brotherhood or Revelations should prepare for disappointment I would argue. Of course maybe Syndicate is aiming for AC1, which also I believe takes place over a single year.

Shahkulu101
08-28-2015, 08:49 PM
The story can be 6 hours long for all I care, as long as it's good.

Oh and I agree that AC2 isn't really that long. I replayed it recently and it took me just ten hours - including all the tombs, a lot of viewpoints and a few assassination contracts. All things considered AC2 is quite a small game content wise, which is something I actually like about it.

RVSage
08-28-2015, 09:04 PM
ACIV and AC II were long. But I believe AC3 was the longest (desmond was also part of the campaign). I don't mind the length, I care about the quality , AC2 and ACIV are the best games story quality wise, brotherhood a close second

king-hailz
08-28-2015, 09:16 PM
According to howlongtobeat.com which I think is accurate, assassins creed 4 is the longest at 21 hours long, second is AC2 with 19 hours, this is the average length it takes to complete the main story. However AC4 takes so much more longer with traveling by sea that I'd say it's only about 17 hours long. Then it's AC3 with 16 hours long, and then the rest follow with 15 and less. ACU is 14 hours long, but the time it takes to travel that map takes way longer than in AC2/brotherhood/revelations so I think main story is around 11 hours long.

Point being, story wise the two longest ones have been the best ones. The longest one (AC2) being by far the best story, so it''s okay for me to say that ACS would benefit with a longer story.

EmptyCrustacean
08-28-2015, 09:18 PM
According to howlongtobeat.com which I think is accurate, assassins creed 4 is the longest at 21 hours long, second is AC2 with 19 hours, this is the average length it takes to complete the main story. However AC4 takes so much more longer with traveling by sea that I'd say it's only about 17 hours long. Then it's AC3 with 16 hours long, and then the rest follow with 15 and less. ACU is 14 hours long, but the time it takes to travel that map takes way longer than in AC2/brotherhood/revelations so I think main story is around 11 hours long.

Point being, story wise the two longest ones have been the best ones. The longest one (AC2) being by far the best story, so it''s okay for me to say that ACS would benefit with a longer story.

Debateable.

But yes, I would agree that AC2 and 4 at least felt the longest for me.

VestigialLlama4
08-28-2015, 09:58 PM
Debateable.

But yes, I would agree that AC2 and 4 at least felt the longest for me.

One thing that has to be taken into account is that AC1 and AC2 have entirely unskippable cutscenes. So length-wise that is a factor to take into consideration.

You also have to consider the fact that in the case of Brotherhood or Black Flag, the side missions are a key aspect of the game. Like if you do a pure story run of Brotherhood you can finish the game in a single stretch of an afternoon, skipping all faction missions, all tombs, all war machines. Even if you restrict yourself to Borgia Towers and Viewpoints as sole distractions there's not a lot of stuff in the main story. In the case of Black Flag the story is a little longer and you have the fast travel option for missions, but when you fight ships in the story missions later on you will need some upgrades and likewise you will need to tackle the forts and so on. In terms of story alone, AC3 is the longest game with AC2 a second. Revelations is the shortest of the releases in terms of main story and side content but Istanbul is also quite big in terms of traversal, its much more dense than Rome.

That said to me issues about which game wastes most of your time is really petty. I mean Shadow of the Colossus, Portal, Arkham Asylum and Arkham City can be finished in a single day or in the case of Portal in less time than that. So while I don't think an openworld historical game like AC should be short, I don't think an ungainly length serves a larger purpose.

D.I.D.
08-29-2015, 12:29 AM
Hey D.I.D. I have to check to see whether I wrote your posts or you wrote mine... we're always on the same wavelength ;)

At first, I thought, "Aww, that's nice". Then I remembered I'm actually quite the arsehole.

SpiritOfNevaeh
08-29-2015, 02:10 AM
I'm thinking it might be a long story.

Since theres no MP aspect to this game, I'm sure they would have plenty of time to give the story a good backbone.

Jessigirl2013
08-29-2015, 04:40 PM
I agree.

Unity seemed long, as I had a game breaking bug after sequence 8 and had to restart...

Syndicate should be longer IMO as it is single player only.
They should have more resources available to make the single player longer.;)

strigoi1958
08-29-2015, 11:59 PM
At first, I thought, "Aww, that's nice". Then I remembered I'm actually quite the arsehole.

lol I know that is untrue simply by reading your well thought out posts :D

SixKeys
08-30-2015, 12:18 AM
Quality before quantity. Even though most AC games have stories that span several years or decades, it never really feels like that in-game. The characters don't visibly age (with the exception of Connor and ACR Altaďr) and the cities don't change with the times either. Whenever there's a time jump, it feels like we're just continuing exactly where we left off so it feels more like two days has passed instead of two years. So I don't think Syndicate taking place within just one year will feel that different.

GunnerGalactico
08-30-2015, 09:20 AM
I'm not too overly concerned about the duration of the main story. As long as it has a good and interesting plot, I will be satisfied. I enjoy a good story as much as the next person.

Since Syndicate is mainly focused on a single player experience, I'm sure that the main campaign is marginally longer than the previous games.

joelsantos24
08-30-2015, 10:15 AM
I agree. Most AC games have had 8-10 memories per sequence, with usually 12-14 sequences in total. Unity fell very short of this mark, namely in number of memories per sequence.

Farlander1991
08-30-2015, 10:53 AM
I agree. Most AC games have had 8-10 memories per sequence, with usually 12-14 sequences in total. Unity fell very short of this mark, namely in number of memories per sequence.

Number of sequences or memories doesn't really mean anything. AC2 has the most memories, for example, but, but a lot of them are really short. Let's take a look at the beginning of AC2:

Memory 1: Two group fights
Memory 2: Follow brother to doctor (short trip, really)
Memory 3: Climb nearby viewpoint
Memory 4: Go to Cristina
Memory 5: Escape

Now let's look at the first Havana mission in AC4 alone: follow Bonnet to weapon store, climb nearby viewpoint, chase thief, go to tavern, group fight, escape. You may notice that the actions there are pretty much the same, but it's all in one mission, and takes about the same amount of time.

I don't want to say that AC2 is worse because of it (though I do believe that AC2's pacing gets wrecked in the second half of Venice, but that's another topic), and AC2 does have meaty missions, but its mission structure is built in such a way that for the most part levels are based on one, rarely two, objective (most likely for technical reasons I presume). Finding LaVolpe and following him to Novella is two missions. During battle of Forli getting from the gates to the citadel and defending it takes 3 missions (as a comparison, battle of Monterrigioni is one mission in ACB). So mission count is not a good indicator, IMO.

EDIT: I'm sorry, just checked, what I said "Memory 5" is actually part of "Memory 4" in the game. The point still stands though :)

joelsantos24
08-30-2015, 12:01 PM
Number of sequences or memories doesn't really mean anything. AC2 has the most memories, for example, but, but a lot of them are really short. Let's take a look at the beginning of AC2:

Memory 1: Two group fights
Memory 2: Follow brother to doctor (short trip, really)
Memory 3: Climb nearby viewpoint
Memory 4: Go to Cristina
Memory 5: Escape

Now let's look at the first Havana mission in AC4 alone: follow Bonnet to weapon store, climb nearby viewpoint, chase thief, go to tavern, group fight, escape. You may notice that the actions there are pretty much the same, but it's all in one mission, and takes about the same amount of time.

I don't want to say that AC2 is worse because of it (though I do believe that AC2's pacing gets wrecked in the second half of Venice, but that's another topic), and AC2 does have meaty missions, but its mission structure is built in such a way that for the most part levels are based on one, rarely two, objective (most likely for technical reasons I presume). Finding LaVolpe and following him to Novella is two missions. During battle of Forli getting from the gates to the citadel and defending it takes 3 missions (as a comparison, battle of Monterrigioni is one mission in ACB). So mission count is not a good indicator, IMO.

EDIT: I'm sorry, just checked, what I said "Memory 5" is actually part of "Memory 4" in the game. The point still stands though :)
I actually didn't think of AC2, but it's rather shorter in that perspective. Do you believe it felt like the longest AC game to date, in my personal case? I suppose it's because I lingered in both Tuscany and Forlí long after completing the primary missions (assassinations) required at those locations. There were so many secondary missions, and even a couple of tombs, that I ended taking a very long time before going to Venice.

Farlander1991
08-30-2015, 12:16 PM
I actually didn't think of AC2, but it's rather shorter in that perspective. Do you believe it felt like the longest AC game to date, in my personal case? I suppose it's because I lingered in both Tuscany and Forlí long after completing the primary missions (assassinations) required at those locations. There were so many secondary missions, and even a couple of tombs, that I ended taking a very long time before going to Venice.

Well, I just used AC2 as an example because, while AC2 as a campaign is not short, people tend to say stuff like 'look how many main missions AC2 had, we need to have games like that again!', which to me is a wrong way to handle the question of length.

In case of AC2, though, there's also the case of the huge time sprawl that creates the feeling of the story being really long. And secondary missions also play a role in that feeling, yes.

joelsantos24
08-30-2015, 01:29 PM
Well, I just used AC2 as an example because, while AC2 as a campaign is not short, people tend to say stuff like 'look how many main missions AC2 had, we need to have games like that again!', which to me is a wrong way to handle the question of length.

In case of AC2, though, there's also the case of the huge time sprawl that creates the feeling of the story being really long. And secondary missions also play a role in that feeling, yes.
I suppose it had (a lot) to do with the severe criticism that AC1 was at the center of, regarding it's redundancy, at least in what the mission's structure and dynamics are concerned, that is.

It's ironic how we went from eavesdropping, pickpocketing and trading favors for informations, which I personally consider more typical assassin activities, to delivering mail, participating in time-trial races and punishing cheating husbands. Helping the general population with missions that somehow counter prejudice and repression, are vital for an Assassin, as it represents the order's principles and purpose. But I just hoped these secondary or tertiary missions could somehow have a primary mission value, being tied up with gathering some kind of intelligence about the targets. I think that would spike the interest in completing them, rather than doing so just to get trophies or complete synchronization.

Gold31415
09-01-2015, 03:27 PM
ACU for me the story never felt like it was going anywhere.

The modern day stuff was not there so we were never rewarded with any form of closure. Suprising how Ubisoft got away with that really.