PDA

View Full Version : AC Movie Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Locopells
08-26-2015, 12:00 AM
UPDATE 18th October 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXpLKnkfqzY

UPDATE 14th June 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdjBDQa_UMU

UPDATE 12th May 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlTwVsBV6u0

http://i.imgur.com/L91vnbb.jpg

Michael Fassbender will play Callum Lynch.

https://s.yimg.com/cd/resizer/2.0/FIT_TO_WIDTH-w500/09e65040c3fd16923aab811d4da2522ff4dc3a71.jpg

Fassbender's character was created specifically for the film version. The movie isn't retelling any of the existing Creed games, but rather introducing new characters into the same world.

Lynch discovers he is a descendant of the secret Assassins society through unlocked genetic memories that allow him to relive the adventures of his ancestor, Aguilar, in 15th Century Spain. After gaining incredible knowledge and skills he's poised to take on the oppressive Knights Templar in the present day.

Also starring Marion Cotillard (The Dark Knight Rises), Michael Kenneth Williams (12 Years a Slave), and Ariane Labed (Before Midnight), cameras start rolling for Creed on Monday. Filming is set to happen in Malta, London, and Spain.

Carlos Bardem has confirmed on his Twitter Account that he will be joining the cast of the Assassin's Creed Movie.

Denis Menochet has joined the cast of the Assassin's Creed Movie.

According to Trama Films, Hovik Keuchkerian will star in the Assassin's Creed Movie!

Farlander1991
08-27-2015, 04:07 PM
Link. (https://www.yahoo.com/movies/assassins-creed-first-look-heres-michael-127715456582.html)

Posting the picture from the article here directly:
https://s.yimg.com/cd/resizer/2.0/FIT_TO_WIDTH-w500/09e65040c3fd16923aab811d4da2522ff4dc3a71.jpg

D.I.D.
08-27-2015, 04:14 PM
"Hidden" blades.

Hans684
08-27-2015, 04:16 PM
"Meet Michael Fassbender as Callum Lynch in Assassin’s Creed.

Before hardcore Creed gamers start scratching their heads (and filling up the comments) about how exactly Callum Lynch fits into the game world, we can tell you that Fassbender’s character was created specifically for the film version. (The movie isn’t retelling any of the existing Creed games, but rather introducing new characters into the same world.)

Lynch discovers he is a descendant of the secret Assassins society through unlocked genetic memories that allow him to relive the adventures of his ancestor, Aguilar, in 15th Century Spain. After gaining incredible knowledge and skills he’s poised to take on the oppressive Knights Templar in the present day.

Also starring Marion Cotillard (The Dark Knight Rises), Michael Kenneth Williams (12 Years a Slave), and Ariane Labed (Before Midnight), cameras start rolling for Creed on Monday. Filming is set to happen in Malta, London, and Spain."

Looks good so far, I'm more hyped for this than Syndicate already.

Matknapers18
08-27-2015, 04:18 PM
Im not complaining, looks freakin awesome. Seeing Assassin's Creed come to life is so exciting, I can't wait for this movie.

Just seeing this costume beats anything syndicate related so far

joelsantos24
08-27-2015, 04:22 PM
Yeah, I'm stoked to know it's finally starting production, but those robes... :(

Kaschra
08-27-2015, 04:31 PM
So this confirms that the movie is not just retelling the story of one of the games, but a new story instead.
**** YEAH
That's exactly what I hoped for! :D

bitebug2003
08-27-2015, 04:34 PM
Merged the threads.

Matknapers18
08-27-2015, 04:44 PM
Woah loads of new info here.

I’ve learned hat Michael Fassbender will play two roles in the film. In the present-day sections he will be Michael Lynch, a death row inmate who becomes pawn in the Assassins-Templars war; while in the segments set in the past, he will be Aguilar de Agarorobo, an assassin during the Spanish Inquisition. Both this time period and location are so far unexplored by the main games in the series.

In the present day scenes, Michael will be subject to tests by researcher called Joseph who is a bit of a baddie. Michael won’t be totally on his own, though, as he’ll be helped by a female Assassin named Lara. And it seems likely that whoever gets cast in that role will also show up in the past sections as another character, presumably one of Lara’s ancestors.

There’s one idea that’s similar to Assassin’s Creed 2, where protagonist Ezio Auditore’s father was an important member of the assassin’s creed. This time, Aguilar’s father will be an assassin chief.

Speaking of Assassin’s Creed 2, the chief bad guy in the movie going to be Tomas de Torquemada. Interestingly this isn’t the first time this historical figure has turned up in the Assassin’s Creed franchise having appeared in an offshoot, the iOS and Nintendo DS spin-off Assassin’s Creed 2: Discovery. In that game, de Torquemada was working under Rodrigo Borgia, the main antagonist of Assassin’s Creed 2. Whether the movie will take this lesser known game as canon is currently unclear from the information at hand.

The boss bad guy in the present day will be Alan Rikkan, CEO of Abstergo, the corporate front for the evil Templars. At the moment, the plan is for him to appear in voice over only, which is not unlike the games where Rikkan has so been a fairly ambiguous force.

SOURCE: http://www.filmdivider.com/4637/everything-we-know-about-michael-fassbenders-two-roles-in-assassins-creed/

Aphex_Tim
08-27-2015, 04:46 PM
"Meet Michael Fassbender as Callum Lynch in Assassin’s Creed.

Before hardcore Creed gamers start scratching their heads (and filling up the comments) about how exactly Callum Lynch fits into the game world, we can tell you that Fassbender’s character was created specifically for the film version. (The movie isn’t retelling any of the existing Creed games, but rather introducing new characters into the same world.)

Lynch discovers he is a descendant of the secret Assassins society through unlocked genetic memories that allow him to relive the adventures of his ancestor, Aguilar, in 15th Century Spain. After gaining incredible knowledge and skills he’s poised to take on the oppressive Knights Templar in the present day.

Also starring Marion Cotillard (The Dark Knight Rises), Michael Kenneth Williams (12 Years a Slave), and Ariane Labed (Before Midnight), cameras start rolling for Creed on Monday. Filming is set to happen in Malta, London, and Spain."

Looks good so far, I'm more hyped for this than Syndicate already.

So this confirms that the movie is not just retelling the story of one of the games, but a new story instead.
**** YEAH
That's exactly what I hoped for! :D

Exactly what I was hoping for as well! Faith in the franchise partially restored...
Though I'm keeping my fingers crossed; movies based on video games usually aren't exactly the best.... (Prince of Persia movie was very much okay though)

phoenix-force411
08-27-2015, 04:51 PM
You may be wondering about how he will be able to flick the hidden blades in and out. Well, he "is" Magneto!!! :O Controlling the blades will be no problemo.

ze_topazio
08-27-2015, 04:57 PM
That looks pretty decent.

btw Aguilar is a Spanish surname, I wonder if they screwed up and used that has his first name.

I wonder if there's going to be some game tie in of some sorts, not a full game, but maybe a Chronicles spin-off or some dlc style short adventure in a small location like Freedom Cry or something like the intro of Unity, maybe a prequel or prologue for the story of the movie.

Since this appears to take place in the same time Ezio visited Spain, I wonder if we're going to have a cameo.

Or maybe this takes place in an alternate timeline.

Aphex_Tim
08-27-2015, 05:01 PM
btw Aguilar is a Spanish surname, I wonder if they screwed up and used that has his first name.

Probably did that just cause it sounds more badass. Just look at some other Assassin names outside of the main games (except maybe Altair).
Some of these names are quite ridiculous.

Goxxi
08-27-2015, 05:03 PM
We could expect this and even long time ago It's been told that story of the movie will take place in Spain , during the spanish inquisition.

ze_topazio
08-27-2015, 05:20 PM
Aphex_Tim and Goxxi, long time no see.

Probably did that just cause it sounds more badass. Just look at some other Assassin names outside of the main games (except maybe Altair).
Some of these names are quite ridiculous.

Yeah, I'm not really surprised.

But I ain't Spanish so I could be wrong, maybe our friend Megas_Doux could clarify things for us.

Locopells
08-27-2015, 05:26 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNYD8tYUcAA0jqq.jpg
(http://pic.twitter.com/kJrpn3CQT5)

harsab
08-27-2015, 05:28 PM
This looks AWESOME!

I still think after a few films they need to start a show/series. An AC show done with the right cast, right locations & a good story, i think it could reach Game Of Thrones level tbh.

VoXngola
08-27-2015, 06:29 PM

I’ve learned hat Michael Fassbender will play two roles in the film. In the present-day sections he will be Michael Lynch, a death row inmate who becomes pawn in the Assassins-Templars war; while in the segments set in the past, he will be Aguilar de Agarorobo, an assassin during the Spanish Inquisition. Both this time period and location are so far unexplored by the main games in the series.

In the present day scenes, Michael will be subject to tests by researcher called Joseph who is a bit of a baddie. Michael won’t be totally on his own, though, as he’ll be helped by a female Assassin named Lara. And it seems likely that whoever gets cast in that role will also show up in the past sections as another character, presumably one of Lara’s ancestors.

There’s one idea that’s similar to Assassin’s Creed 2, where protagonist Ezio Auditore’s father was an important member of the assassin’s creed. This time, Aguilar’s father will be an assassin chief.

Speaking of Assassin’s Creed 2, the chief bad guy in the movie going to be Tomas de Torquemada. Interestingly this isn’t the first time this historical figure has turned up in the Assassin’s Creed franchise having appeared in an offshoot, the iOS and Nintendo DS spin-off Assassin’s Creed 2: Discovery. In that game, de Torquemada was working under Rodrigo Borgia, the main antagonist of Assassin’s Creed 2. Whether the movie will take this lesser known game as canon is currently unclear from the information at hand.

The boss bad guy in the present day will be Alan Rikkan, CEO of Abstergo, the corporate front for the evil Templars. At the moment, the plan is for him to appear in voice over only, which is not unlike the games where Rikkan has so been a fairly ambiguous force.

SOURCE: http://www.filmdivider.com/4637/everything-we-know-about-michael-fassbenders-two-roles-in-assassins-creed/

This just sounds wonderful. But Joseph...do they mean Joseph Vidic, perhaps? Alan playing a role sounds exciting as well. To add to this, Spain during the 15h century and Torquemada..

Yes!!

Aphex_Tim
08-27-2015, 06:31 PM
Aphex_Tim and Goxxi, long time no see.

Had grown kinda AC-weary; especially after how underwhelmed I was by Syndicate. Plus the fact that my personal life demanded most of my time for the past couple months.
It's all kinda coming back now though with me having settled down, wanting to replay the old AC games again and now finally some official news on the movie! You might see me on these forums again more often! :o

GunnerGalactico
08-27-2015, 07:03 PM
The movie sounds promising. I'm glad that they decided to weave their own story for it. I do hope that they stay true to the key components and try not to make it too confusing for people who are not familiar with the game. I don't think that they should bother adding anything to do with the First Civ. for the movie because it will just be unnecessary.

Nemesis-T
08-27-2015, 07:43 PM
Generic story about noname assassin instead of Desmond Miles and legendary Altair? F#ck you and your movie.

Nemesis-T
08-27-2015, 07:50 PM
Don't watch this garbage, have some selfrespect

*image removed*

D.I.D.
08-27-2015, 07:53 PM
It's not entirely surprising that Ubisoft's Hollywood partners didn't want to make a film about a Syrian terrorist and a character that tens of millions of people already know is dead.

AnExplodingDodo
08-27-2015, 07:57 PM
So you'd rather have a live action of something we've already seen? I don't see the point. All it would lead to is comparison between game and film, and that causes for unhealthy and divided opinion. I think what they're trying to do with a new assassin and character only enriches the AC universe and using this as a medium to link game to game is a clever systematic device that would work in many ways. I for one am looking forward to seeing a fresh setting and story arc rather than watching the same thing I've already seen. We'll be sat there thinking "ooh this bits coming up", but because its a movie with limited time things will be cut out. So long as they fully personify the main character as well as keeping the feel of the games I think they could pull this off

Just my opinion, sure others agree :P

RA503
08-27-2015, 08:09 PM
Will be really cool if the modern day being out of all the marketing stuff catching the casual audience with surprise once they enter in the cinema I very happy that they will use the modern day,and being original characters is genial (the only people that have Desmond,Altair or Ezio face is his model...)

HoyHoyJake
08-27-2015, 08:11 PM
I think he looks really cool! I've always been a Fassbender fan, so I'm excited to see him take on this role.

Sorrosyss
08-27-2015, 08:22 PM
Really happy it's an original story. A retelling of the Desmond story would have pleased no-one in the end - it'd never match your expectations.

Seems that Spain leak awhile back was legit then. Not overly enthralled with the setting, but I'll tag along to see how this plays out. The cynical side of me expects an Ezio cameo given the time period. :p

Costume looks alright I guess. Fassbender is amazing though, so I have high hopes the story telling will be decent at least.

Abelzorus-Prime
08-27-2015, 08:26 PM
Considering that it's set during the Renaissance, it would be cool if we got a mention of Ezio.

Nemesis-T
08-27-2015, 08:40 PM
I expected first movie in a history, based on GAME PLOT, not on producer's ****ty vision.
As we can see each film after game with its own story can't even be compared with quality of the original game plot. There is no need to multiply crap.

AC1 could have bad gameplay. But the story was the most powerful from all games. Fight with your orden, with your mentor, with yourself. Introducing into Abstergo, into DNA travelling, into religious illusions... Hell it was one of the most intriguing story in all gaming industry!

Just my opinion, sure others agree :P ;)

dxsxhxcx
08-27-2015, 09:12 PM

more about the plot (you saw it here first.. http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/smilies/rolleyes.png):

Aguilar falls in love with Lara's ancestor during the historical part and the same will happen with their modern counterparts.

HDinHB
08-27-2015, 09:20 PM
You may be wondering about how he will be able to flick the hidden blades in and out. Well, he "is" Magneto!!! :O Controlling the blades will be no problemo.

So you're saying they should have gotten Hugh Jackman?

We could expect this and even long time ago It's been told that story of the movie will take place in Spain , during the spanish inquisition.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqreRufrkxM

Considering that it's set during the Renaissance, it would be cool if we got a mention of Ezio.

Didn't Ezio meet Torquemada in Spain in 1491? (AC2 Discovery--I didn't play it)

GunnerGalactico
08-27-2015, 09:33 PM
So you'd rather have a live action of something we've already seen? I don't see the point. All it would lead to is comparison between game and film, and that causes for unhealthy and divided opinion. I think what they're trying to do with a new assassin and character only enriches the AC universe and using this as a medium to link game to game is a clever systematic device that would work in many ways. I for one am looking forward to seeing a fresh setting and story arc rather than watching the same thing I've already seen. We'll be sat there thinking "ooh this bits coming up", but because its a movie with limited time things will be cut out. So long as they fully personify the main character as well as keeping the feel of the games I think they could pull this off

Just my opinion, sure others agree :P

100% agreed.

I'm happy that they created their own story and character for the movie. As far as I am concerned, the movie and the game should not correspond with each other. For instance, the Arkham series and the Dark Knight trilogy are it's own entity and are in no way related to each other. The AC games have too many things on the plate for people to take in for a single movie and it might be confusing to those who are not familiar with the franchise. As long they retain the key components, it might actually be a decent movie.

VestigialLlama4
08-27-2015, 09:49 PM
I gotta say that outfit looks really cheesy and stupid. The point of the Animus is that its a video game representation not an actual unfiltered depiction of memories. For a movie they should have taken a more low-key realistic approach.

And I don't think that the approach they are taking will work if it doesn't appeal to non-fans. Right now they are piling on a lot of stuff - Genetic Memory, MD Assassins-Templars, Historical Assassins, 1500s Spain.

BATISTABUS
08-27-2015, 09:59 PM
I could not be more pleased with the look and setting. Soooooooooo beyond ecstatic that this isn't a re-telling of the games.

Here's to hoping they won't be speaking in British accents. Oh hell, at this point I'm so happy about the other things I wouldn't even mind, just as long as they throw in a lot of Spanish words and phrases. An appearance by Rodrigo (played by Manuel Tadros of course) would be awesome.\

The point of the Animus is that its a video game representation not an actual unfiltered depiction of memories.
When has this ever been applied to the outfits? Anyway, if they're throwing in the modern-day aspect, it would still be seen through the perspective of the Animus.

joelsantos24
08-27-2015, 10:00 PM
I wouldn't mind, rather I would very much welcome, a live-action version of AC1. Just following Altaïr during the hunt for the nine, would be amazing! On the other hand, at this level, it was pretty much expectable that the movie would focus on a new story, with different protagonists, based on the philosophy and principles of the series. I welcome that perspective as well, and that's probably for the best.

Nemesis-T
08-27-2015, 10:29 PM
For instance, the Arkham series and the Dark Knight trilogy are it's own entity
But hero is the same - Batman. Hero of assassin series is Desmond and I want to see him in movie. Not another generic person for another generic story.

Sushiglutton
08-27-2015, 10:32 PM
Love the gif :cool:, but I disagree with your opinion. Games and movies are very different mediums. That the movemakers are giving themself maximum freedom, by going for an unknown assassin, means a better chance of a good movie imo. I'm def looking forward to it!

Sushiglutton
08-27-2015, 10:36 PM
Looks fine, Fassbender is awesome. The HB look a bit big, perhaps they should have let the contraption be inside the sleeves (contrary to the games). As I'm one of the few who liked the Sands of Time movie, I'm optimistic and loking forward to this one.

X_xWolverinEx_X
08-27-2015, 10:41 PM
Really happy it's an original story. A retelling of the Desmond story would have pleased no-one in the end - it'd never match your expectations.

Seems that Spain leak awhile back was legit then. Not overly enthralled with the setting, but I'll tag along to see how this plays out. The cynical side of me expects an Ezio cameo given the time period. :p

Costume looks alright I guess. Fassbender is amazing though, so I have high hopes the story telling will be decent at least.

you only hate it because its male and it isn't a female or evie

Altair1789
08-27-2015, 11:36 PM
I'm glad they're not using any in game characters. REALLY glad they're not doing AC1. That's the way to ruin a game, make a movie based on an installment

Deezl-V
08-28-2015, 12:13 AM
I hope someone in the movie mention Altair and Desmond then the other person says who? They laugh and point their finger at the screen LOLing at you OP.

SpiritOfNevaeh
08-28-2015, 12:17 AM
Nice pic!

Looks like a combination of Altair and Adele's robes :)

Sorrosyss
08-28-2015, 12:26 AM
you only hate it because its male and it isn't a female or evie

I didn't hate on anything. :p Just amused it's another European setting.

LoyalACFan
08-28-2015, 12:48 AM
Nice pic!

Looks like a combination of Altair and Adele's robes :)

lololololololol

harsab
08-28-2015, 12:52 AM
I didn't hate on anything. :p Just amused it's another European setting.

Since you mention another European Setting something tells me that next year we will get no AC & just the movie. Then in 2017 i get a feeling we're gonna get the AC the fans have been requesting for since AC1 which is Japan. I think Ubisoft will try & make it the most ambitious game ever as it will have such high expectations & this will give them an extra year to create a legendary game.

That's my theory anyway, could be completely wrong lol.

LoyalACFan
08-28-2015, 01:04 AM
next year we will get no AC

You fool, submit to the will of the Annualization God. Resistance is futile.

D.I.D.
08-28-2015, 01:06 AM
lololololololol

Hidden in plain sight

http://i.imgur.com/r05twfY.jpg

SixKeys
08-28-2015, 01:47 AM
Reminds me a lot of Ezio's ACR robes, at least up until his shoulders. He even has the scarf.

I'll withhold judgment until we see a trailer, but I'm glad they're going with a new protagonist and story.

LoyalACFan
08-28-2015, 02:36 AM
I'll withhold judgment until we see a trailer.

That'll be a while. Principal photography just started Monday.

I'm glad they chose to go with an original character, but that said, it's not exactly a new premise, is it? Imprisoned guy forced to relive his genetic memories by an evil scientist, while surreptitiously being aided by a female Assassin? Totally different from that Desmond Miles chump :confused: Say hello to your new hero; Dustin Meters.

HDinHB
08-28-2015, 02:57 AM
It will be new to the 100 million people that go see it on opening weekend...

Plus he's got a great nickname: Dustin "Killer" Meters.

kosmoscreed
08-28-2015, 08:03 AM
Must be hard to align his face with the assassin's head, or maybe they photoshopped his head. Looks cool, let's hope they don't make a game for the movie.

Nemesis-T
08-28-2015, 08:41 AM
That the movemakers are giving themself maximum freedom, by going for an unknown assassin, means a better chance of a good movie imo
Please, name one movie after game, where maximum freedom of moviemakers brought good result. I'm listening carefuly

REALLY glad they're not doing AC1. That's the way to ruin a game, make a movie based on an installment
I really can't understand why you think so. Till now all gaming movies are unbelievable sh*t because of stupid creativity of moviemakers. The only good movie is SILENT HILL, because it was closest to the game plot!

If you prefer noname assassin with mediocre love story instead of good phylosophycal scenario about what is truth and cool legendary persons that made this game popular and beloved by everyone - then I really don't understand anything in this life. Please, stop the planet, I'm out. I want goosebumps from the movie, I don't want to waste 90m of my life on generic summer action ****, which will be forgotten till next day.

SixKeys
08-28-2015, 09:16 AM
Please, name one movie after game, where maximum freedom of moviemakers brought good result. I'm listening carefuly

Name one good video game movie, period. (Psst, Silent Hill was s*** too.)

joelsantos24
08-28-2015, 09:29 AM
I'm glad they're not using any in game characters. REALLY glad they're not doing AC1. That's the way to ruin a game, make a movie based on an installment
No, that's not the way to ruin the series, but that's a likely way to ruin the movie, though. If they chose to recapture AC1 in live-action, something I would very much welcome, by the way, they would essentially have to become obsessive-compulsive about every single detail of the story. Not to mention, the level of scrutiny would be immeasurable. This path is easier to handle, provided they remain true to the philosophy of the series, they can tell a different story and still accomplish something measurable to the games.

Must be hard to align his face with the assassin's head, or maybe they photoshopped his head. Looks cool, let's hope they don't make a game for the movie.And you seriously believe that? Prince of Persia, rings any bells?

VestigialLlama4
08-28-2015, 09:46 AM
For me the problems of making an Assassin's Creed movie is simply that most people don't know who the Asasiyun are. They are obscure footnotes at best. To do this right, you have to make a historical film explaining the Asasiyun first. And then go from there.

Nemesis-T
08-28-2015, 10:23 AM
For me the problems of making an Assassin's Creed movie is simply that most people don't know who the Asasiyun are. They are obscure footnotes at best. To do this right, you have to make a historical film explaining the Asasiyun first. And then go from there.
Another reason why AC1 story for the movie would be the best.
But no, let's watch new Callen Mallen or who he is. It's way interesting!

http://rs950.pbsrc.com/albums/ad342/j3kbro/4chan-happy-face.png~c200

What a shame...

Farlander1991
08-28-2015, 01:00 PM
I really can't understand why you think so. Till now all gaming movies are unbelievable sh*t because of stupid creativity of moviemakers. The only good movie is SILENT HILL, because it was closest to the game plot!

Being close to the original doesn't necessarily mean a good adaptation, being far away from the original doesn't necessarily mean bad adaptation. Bad movies are bad movies because they're bad movies. Same applies to all adaptations from a medium to medium.

How to Train Your Dragon, Big Hero 6 - wonderful animated movies, have barely anything to do with the originals with the exception of names.
The Lord of the Rings - one of the greatest movie trilogies of all time, has ****tons of changes from the original (and, to be honest, while not all of those changes work, I think a lot of them benefit and help to tell the story in a better and more meaningful way, which wouldn't happen if Jackson would decide to do stuff just like it is written in the books).

It works other ways too.
X-Men: Origins has a great game adaptation precisely because they didn't have practically anything in common with the movie and did their own stuff :p
Chronicles of Rid**** has a great game adaptation which is just set in the world of the movie and lets players do their own thing.

The Witcher series happens after the books and doesn't really adapt anything from them, yet it's still great.

TL-DR - change, and creativity is not bad. Heck, most of the times it's actually vital if you want to have a good product of the medium you're working on.

AC1 story wouldn't work as a movie without tons of changes to make it a good movie.

SixKeys
08-28-2015, 01:11 PM

Why would you need to explain the Asasiyun for the movie to make sense? The only game that has anything to do with the historical sect is AC1. The sequels are about an entirely fictional group of murderers. Ezio went through the entirety of AC2 being a non-affiliated vigilante, same with Edward in AC4. You could rename the Assassins and Templars as Sharks vs. Jets and the underlying tensions wouldn't change.

joelsantos24
08-28-2015, 01:24 PM
(...)

AC1 story wouldn't work as a movie without tons of changes to make it a good movie.
In your opinion.

Shahkulu101
08-28-2015, 01:27 PM
In your opinion.

Yeah they can just recreate the entire 8 hour story without any changes whatsoever. :p

joelsantos24
08-28-2015, 01:33 PM
Yeah they can just recreate the entire 8 hour story without any changes whatsoever. :p
Ok, so you're talking about (natural) omission of unmeaningful events or elements... Obviously, I agree. However, the changes mentioned in that quote seemed to allude to the significant incorporation of new, or alteration of existing elements of the story. With that, I strongly disagree.

Nemesis-T
08-28-2015, 01:40 PM
X-Men: Origins has a great game adaptation precisely because they didn't have practically anything in common with the movie and did their own stuff :p
Chronicles of Rid**** has a great game adaptation which is just set in the world of the movie and lets players do their own thing.

The Witcher series happens after the books and doesn't really adapt anything from them, yet it's still great.

Totally agree. But you missed one fact - in every example heroes were the same. Deadpool didn' play Wolverine's role, there was no another witcher instead of Geralt, and we have Batman both in Arkhem gaming series and in movies, right? And here in AC movie we have unknown hero instead of original characters. Do you feel the difference?

Of course, I understand, that movie has different narrative system and game needs an adaptation, but why is there so eager need to rebuild main story completely or to change main characters? Look at Resident Evil movie! They ruined all concept with their Alice (must admit that first movie was good but nevertheless I want my favourite characters instead noname supaAlice)!

JamesFaith007
08-28-2015, 02:23 PM
And here in AC movie we have unknown hero instead of original characters. Do you feel the difference?

With exception of Ezio AC franchise introduced completely new assassin hero for every new story.

So how much different is this approach, started in original franchise, from introducing completely new hero in new movie story?

EmptyCrustacean
08-28-2015, 02:45 PM
The photo looks like it was ripped straight from the cover of the game. Looks great. However, I'm disappointed by the fact that Fassbender will be playing both the ancestor and the modern day protagonist. It was cheesy and convenient in the earlier games and it's cheesy now. Even the devs tried to distinguish Desmond from his ancestors in Revelations but it wasn't until ACIII that they nailed his look. ACIII is definitive Desmond for me now - and, I suspect for Ubi - since they used the same face model for future games.

Also, Fassbender is horrid at accents, just terrible. If Fox allow him to do a Spanish accent be prepared for the cringe.

As for the plot synopsis, I suppose it was inevitable that they would build new characters as to not restrict themselves creatively but it sounds exactly the same as what the AC1 synopsis would sound like, just with different character names. I suppose it's a good balance between the source material and new additions.

I hope we get some Shaun and Rebecca types in the sequels to show that the modern day Brotherhood is made up of various roles and not just trained killers.
Overall, I'm impressed.

joelsantos24
08-28-2015, 03:06 PM
With exception of Ezio AC franchise introduced completely new assassin hero for every new story.

So how much different is this approach, started in original franchise, from introducing completely new hero in new movie story?
It's a movie, not a game. I believe the difference is fairly self-explanatory. It's purpose is to absorb and reflect the philosophy and concepts of the series, and throw it to us on a different medium (cinema).

Nemesis-T
08-28-2015, 03:18 PM
Explanation is very clear: movie is not a sequel. It's a beginning of story. So how it can be told without main characters?

Farlander1991
08-28-2015, 03:37 PM
In your educated opinion.

Fixed that for you. While I don't say that there are opinions without merit regarding works of art, as we are all subjective and have our biases and preferences, the opinion you're disagreeing with is an opinion of a person who studied narrative structure, storytelling principles, and analysis of those in movies, games, books, how they're different and what works in what and what doesn't. I've also already mentioned examples of amazing adaptations that have nothing in common except names and common themes, and, while I don't say that EVERY adaptation has to be like that (after all, I've also mentioned adaptations that don't do that, but still make significant changes, plus there are really faithful ones as well, it all really depends on a bunch of factors too hard to categorize), it is what's the most important in an adaptation - the spirit of it.

You're free not to agree with that, of course, but, if you believe one can tell AC1 story in 2 hours without significant changes in the narrative structure, plot details, how the story is told and most likely what the story actually is, and have it to stand on its own as a good movie, you're free to explain how you think it will look like. If you don't want to do that then don't go around quoting with the only phrase being 'in your opinion', of course it's my opinion, there's no meaningful discussion to come out of stating that.

Totally agree. But you missed one fact - in every example heroes were the same. Deadpool didn' play Wolverine's role, there was no another witcher instead of Geralt, and we have Batman both in Arkhem gaming series and in movies, right? And here in AC movie we have unknown hero instead of original characters. Do you feel the difference?

Not really, cause that doesn't have anything to do with the quality of an adaptation.

Of course, I understand, that movie has different narrative system and game needs an adaptation, but why is there so eager need to rebuild main story completely or to change main characters? Look at Resident Evil movie! They ruined all concept with their Alice (must admit that first movie was good but nevertheless I want my favourite characters instead noname supaAlice)!

That's superficial details, they don't determine the quality of an adaptation. You can change everything and have a great adaptation (once again, How to Train Your Dragon and Big Hero 6, I know I'm repeating examples but they're the ones I have on the top of my head), and you can be very faithful and be a ****ty adaptation. But while we're at it, AC movie is not an adaptation, it's a stand-alone work in the AC universe. Like Lineage and Embers.

D.I.D.
08-28-2015, 03:41 PM

Because following a template, even with some deviation, is expensive and restrictive.

Adapting AC1 would require the studio to either get the locations (expensive, difficult, liable to refusal when the administrators of the sites read the script) or get ones just like them and CGI the buildings (still requires desert-type areas, still expensive, still difficult, and CGI adds to the cost). Alternatively, you can accept that the series is about flipping locations, and the core to it is transferable. If you want to make "Assassin's Creed: Origins" one day and you're sure you can do it, that can be done later. Right now, you need a film that's as cheap as possible and gets made on time. It's easy to be angry as a customer, but if it was your job then you might have to work the other way around; you'd be smart to shortlist the locations you could get/fake most cheaply, and then get your story's setting from there.

Also, AC1 requires a TON of changes to its story. The game got away with so much because it was a game. What was kind of interesting and refreshing in a game would play very poorly in a game today, let alone a film. The justifications for the Templars actions were often pretty terrible, but the game tried to whisk you out of there and on to the next thing before you could say, "Hey, wait. That was ********". It tried to tell you it just said something clever that turned the situation on its head, when it really did no such thing. A film of that would be incredibly frustrating without the long stretches of nothing to reset your brain. It'd be a mounting echo running in the audience's head. As for the Al Mualim reveal - I'll admit it was a little bit of a surprise, if only because I thought they were telegraphing way too hard that the mentor was a villain and I thought there was no way the game would go Route One on us, but it did. In a game, depending on how you reacted, the thing can drag out long enough that you can see it as a nice double bluff. How do you think that going to play in a film? The audience's eyes would be rolling everywhere at that point: "He's a villain. He's a villain. That's the villain, right there. Surprise! He's the villain". And do you want to leave the theatre having watched AC1, knowing that a sequel will mean watching AC2, and so on? That's maybe not the best way to get the best number of present fans to keep coming back to the movies. If it's not necessary to follow with AC2, then was AC1 really so important?

I'm not a fan of Resident Evil films, but the makers understood that the characters and the exact story were not worth salvaging. Casting the main star was the only important human factor. You could cast for a diminishing number of actors who look like RE's heroes, spend money getting these cardboard characters right, or you can give yourself the freedom to be as broad as possible in finding a well-known face and build a character around them. They knew that Milla Jovovich could walk on the screen, scowl, aim a gun, and that's all people would need to know in order to be on board. The films made money because people got it right away, because they'd wisely chosen what to be precious about and what to let go. They only kept what fell in the intersection of "what the games' fans want to see" and "what the uninitiated can accept in 10 seconds or less". If you think RE is primarily a story about Chris, Jill, Leon etc overcoming monsters, I think you're on the wrong side of the public imagination here, and also the money. RE is about shady quasi-governmental business getting out of control and making cool-looking monsters in a laboratory. Who comes in to shoot them is largely irrelevant. Assassin's Creed is about a cool VR-Plus chair that allows you to relive your ancestors' adventures. Those are two topics everybody knows about and most people are interested in. AC is a hard thing to sell, but if it's going to crossover then that's why it'll happen, because you succeeded in capturing the public's imagination with those factors - not because you fussed over the minutiae of character details from an old game.

Farlander1991
08-28-2015, 04:26 PM
Here's the things that won't work from the AC1 game that have to be changed in the movie:

1. MD. In AC1 MD is centered around exploration and lore building. This works for a game (albeit there's also a bunch of long dialogues some of which start to get boring, even though they're on interesting topics), but in a movie MD would need more than that, otherwise it would feel pointless like a thing that just could've been cut (and preferably what's happening in MD thematically should closely connect to the redemption theme from the historical storyline).
2. The travel structure has to be changed completely, AC1 as a game has a lot of traveling back and forth between cities, this will just look jarring in a movie. When I was thinking about this, the structure of something like Masyaf-Acre-Masyaf-Jerusalem-(Arsuf?)-Masyaf is pretty much the best variant to keep the travelling aspect of AC but have it work better in a movie and be more streamlined.
3. In that vein, amount of Templars would have to be lowered to about 3 max (that is quite a big number in and of itself still) - Robert and other people (who plotwise can be conglomerations of other Templars) - we need less antagonists.
4. Malik. Either he can't be a Rafiq in the movie, or, if he is, he needs to become more active. He needs more interactions with Altair, possibly be an (unwilling) companion cause preferably he'd need to have interactions in all the cities that Altair goes to. And more of them. Again, you can't have him to be in the same place as a quest giver for him to return to. Also, he's an important character in showing Altair's growth, but the material that's in the game is simply not enough, if you take on its own. There the development of their relationship kinda works as a proxy through other rafiqs as well, but that, once again, something that won't work in the movie (we'd have 3 pretty shallow characters instead)

And that's just like basic general stuff, in the details a lot more would have to be done.

The core of AC1 storyline is the quest of redemption to understand the meaning of the Creed. If we want to have a faithful adaptation, that's what we need to have. Everything else, as long as it's changed to serve the movie better and that core better, can be changed without it becoming a worse adaptation.

On a side note, the lack of thematic connection between MD and historical part is already a problem in the games as well. That's one of the biggest reasons why a lot of people simply didn't care about MD at first (which led to lowering it in AC2 significantly), because it felt too disjointed from the main historical part. And while for a 15-hour game that's bearable or slightly damaging, for a 2-hour movie, even 3-hour movie, that would be a disaster if they'd be disjointed.

joelsantos24
08-28-2015, 05:08 PM
Fixed that for you. (...)
Even (educated) guesses get it all wrong. Speaking of my own field: even if you perform scientific studies, based on solid premisses and theory, your results and conclusions will still need to pass multiple peer-revision. Only one negative review, is all it takes, and your study won't get published. And if it doesn't get published, it's useless. In essence, an opinion is an opinion. You can add the educated or uneducated term before it, but you're just playing semantics.

Here's the things that won't work from the AC1 game that have to be changed in the movie:

1. MD. In AC1 MD is centered around exploration and lore building. This works for a game (albeit there's also a bunch of long dialogues some of which start to get boring, even though they're on interesting topics), but in a movie MD would need more than that, otherwise it would feel pointless like a thing that just could've been cut (and preferably what's happening in MD thematically should closely connect to the redemption theme from the historical storyline).
2. The travel structure has to be changed completely, AC1 as a game has a lot of traveling back and forth between cities, this will just look jarring in a movie. When I was thinking about this, the structure of something like Masyaf-Acre-Masyaf-Jerusalem-(Arsuf?)-Masyaf is pretty much the best variant to keep the travelling aspect of AC but have it work better in a movie and be more streamlined.
3. In that vein, amount of Templars would have to be lowered to about 3 max (that is quite a big number in and of itself still) - Robert and other people (who plotwise can be conglomerations of other Templars) - we need less antagonists.
4. Malik. Either he can't be a Rafiq in the movie, or, if he is, he needs to become more active. He needs more interactions with Altair, possibly be an (unwilling) companion cause preferably he'd need to have interactions in all the cities that Altair goes to. And more of them. Again, you can't have him to be in the same place as a quest giver for him to return to. Also, he's an important character in showing Altair's growth, but the material that's in the game is simply not enough, if you take on its own. There the development of their relationship kinda works as a proxy through other rafiqs as well, but that, once again, something that won't work in the movie (we'd have 3 pretty shallow characters instead)

And that's just like basic general stuff, in the details a lot more would have to be done.

The core of AC1 storyline is the quest of redemption to understand the meaning of the Creed. If we want to have a faithful adaptation, that's what we need to have. Everything else, as long as it's changed to serve the movie better and that core better, can be changed without it becoming a worse adaptation.

On a side note, the lack of thematic connection between MD and historical part is already a problem in the games as well. That's one of the biggest reasons why a lot of people simply didn't care about MD at first (which led to lowering it in AC2 significantly), because it felt too disjointed from the main historical part. And while for a 15-hour game that's bearable or slightly damaging, for a 2-hour movie, even 3-hour movie, that would be a disaster if they'd be disjointed.
The only thing I agree with, is the issue regarding the journeys between cities.

A story is a story, it's an absolute value. I'm perennial and dogmatic in this regard. The reason why it's still acknowledged as one of the best, if not the best of the entire series, is because of it's content, it's structure, it's characters, it's philosophies, and ultimately, it's appeal and captivating power. Changing elements and eliminating characters, equals defiling the story. Among the most strange of propositions, stands the decrease in the Templar targets. The Nine are the Nine, it's called The Hunt for the Nine for a reason. Would they need to show every mission in detail, encompassing every step to acquire information? Obviously not. In fact, when it comes to the less prominent of the Nine, those steps could be summarizes in a quick scene of eavesdropping or other action. Furthermore, Malik is cold and distant when interacting with Altar, for a very, very specific reason. I don't think I need to elaborate on that. Eliminating him, or worse, making him Altar's companion, would be the ultimate corruption in the story.

Compressing and polishing the story to fit in about 2-3 hours, would suffice. The story would stand for itself.

SixKeys
08-28-2015, 05:17 PM
So much "yes" to D.I.D.'s and Farlander's comments. AC1 is already criticized for being boring and repetitive as a game, imagine trying to turn it into an exciting movie that will bring millions of asses on the cinema seats. Altar is rather two-dimensional as a character, as much as I like him - most of his personal development happened in ACR. In AC1 he starts off as just a total d*uche who's full of himself. Basically the Gaston of video games. By the end of the game he's extremely humble and honorable. It's going from one extreme to another and not in a very realistic way. It gets a pass in a video game where character development is still mostly seen as a nice bonus rather than a necessity, but in a movie you need a compelling, well-written protagonist.

Farlander1991
08-28-2015, 05:45 PM
Even (educated) guesses get it all wrong. Speaking on my home turf: even if you perform scientific studies, based on solid premisses and theory, your results and conclusions will still need to pass multiple peer-revision. Only one negative review, is all it takes, and your study won't get published. And if it doesn't get published, it's useless.

Your home turf works on different principles. You can't compare it to artistic mediums, that are, both from the sides of creators and those who experience them, based on personal experience, connections, biases, likes, dislikes, opinions, beliefs, etc. There is no one piece of art that's accepted literally by everybody, the best you can do is 'most people like it', and even then, the amount outside of that 'most' who don't like it is not that small. There's no storytelling technique, move, trope, that's a guaranteed success, there's just tools and some ways to use them that tend to work with a big amount of audience.

A story is a story, it's an absolute value. I'm perennial and dogmatic in this regard.

That's quite an ironic statement coming from a fan of the series main motto of which is "Nothing is true, and everything is permitted."

Stories are in no way absolute. They're expressions that change value, depending on who makes them, who listens to them, who tells or retells them, which medium they're using to retell it. Heck, they even tend to change value in the middle of creation of the story itself, by the creators. More than that, this statement of yours disregards the differences in languages of telling the story, and their nature. Motion, visuals, sound, interactivity, words, music - they all have different value and ways to be used depending on the medium.

Compressing and polishing the story to fit in about 2-3 hours, would suffice. The story would stand for itself.

Well, for you then there's this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub9JUDS_6i8), that's pretty much exactly what you're asking for. A good compression of a good story. But that's all it is - it's good only in the context of knowing that it's actually a game. It's not a good movie. Film it with real actors and replace the 'gaminess' with cinematic aspects - it still won't be a good movie.

There's few games that will have an easy transition to the movie medium. Assassin's Creed is not one of them.

joelsantos24
08-28-2015, 05:48 PM
So much "yes" to D.I.D.'s and Farlander's comments. AC1 is already criticized for being boring and repetitive as a game, imagine trying to turn it into an exciting movie that will bring millions of asses on the cinema seats. Altar is rather two-dimensional as a character, as much as I like him - most of his personal development happened in ACR. In AC1 he starts off as just a total d*uche who's full of himself. Basically the Gaston of video games. By the end of the game he's extremely humble and honorable. It's going from one extreme to another and not in a very realistic way. It gets a pass in a video game where character development is still mostly seen as a nice bonus rather than a necessity, but in a movie you need a compelling, well-written protagonist.
So, your problem is Altar's bi-dimentionality? In that line of reasoning, must all protagonists and characters be, in your words, compelling? And what is compelling, for that matter? Must all characters be multi-dimentional? Surely because there is no one on this earth that may actually resemble Altar's personality?

There are good people and bad people, cold or distant people and emotional drama queens, there are enthusiastic people and depressive people, etc, etc, etc. Why must all characters be compelling, multi-layered personalities? A character is exactly what it's author intended him/her to be, no more, no less. It serves a purpose, and form must follow function. For an Assassin, it certainly represented a tremendous advantage, to be cold, self-absorbed and withdrawn. Be that as it may, characters are free to evolve and develop. Whether or not that was properly done with Altar in the game, it's debatable. But a game is a limited medium through which to convey a story. Those who read the book, understand Altar and his motives.

Your home turf works on different principles. You can't compare it to artistic mediums, that are, both from the sides of creators and those who experience them, based on personal experience, connections, biases, likes, dislikes, opinions, beliefs, etc. There is no one piece of art that's accepted literally by everybody, the best you can do is 'most people like it', and even then, the amount outside of that 'most' who don't like it is not that small. There's no storytelling technique, move, trope, that's a guaranteed success, there's just tools and some ways to use them that tend to work with a big amount of audience.
Like I said, an opinion, is an opinion. We'd never leave the subject, if we were to approach that which inspires or promotes a specific opinion. I've had studies that were immensely praised by two reviewers, while the third expressed some doubts, even so, the editor sided with the one against the other two and the study couldn't be published in that Journal. It's the same premisse in whatever the field.

That's quite an ironic statement coming from a fan of the series main motto of which is "Nothing is true, and everything is permitted."

Stories are in no way absolute. They're expressions that change value, depending on who makes them, who listens to them, who tells or retells them, which medium they're using to retell it. Heck, they even tend to change value in the middle of creation of the story itself, by the creators. More than that, this statement of yours disregards the differences in languages of telling the story, and their nature. Motion, visuals, sound, interactivity, words, music - they all have different value and ways to be used depending on the medium.
Let's get something straight: we have Assassin's Creed and The Secret Crusade; let's leave the mobile sequels aside, for the moment. So there you have it, it's the fundamental story of Altar.

Well, for you then there's this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub9JUDS_6i8), that's pretty much exactly what you're asking for. A good compression of a good story. But that's all it is - it's good only in the context of knowing that it's actually a game. It's not a good movie. Film it with real actors and replace the 'gaminess' with cinematic aspects - it still won't be a good movie.

There's few games that will have an easy transition to the movie medium. Assassin's Creed is not one of them.
Obviously not. That's not what I'm asking for. Even considering that many games nowadays are far more cinematic than many movies. First of all, I'm not against the path chosen for the movie, quite the opposite. Second, that being said, I would also have enjoyed having AC1 portrayed in the movie, rather than a new story. Third, recapturing or reshaping a game or a book into a movie, would always involve an adaptation. I believe this is self-explanatory. But I wouldn't appreciate one such as Game of Thrones, for instance, which is almost a new story entirely. That's my whole point.

pacmanate
08-28-2015, 05:50 PM
I didnt know altair was bisexual

Matknapers18
08-28-2015, 05:58 PM
stole this from reddit cos I'm lazy

Here are bullet points of all the new information revealed during the Q&A on Twitter today:
The setting is indeed during the Spanish Inquisition in the late 15th Century.
Fassbender will play both present day Callum and his 15th century ancestor Aguilar.
Full cast list will be revealed "very soon". Fassbender, Cotillard, Michael K Williams and Ariane Labed are only confirmed cast so far.
Abstergo will make an appearance in present day sequences.
Heavy hints at cameos of other Assassin's.
New story, new characters, same universe. "You may see some familiar faces".
In regards to canon: "We share the same universe. Elements in the film have consequences as in our games, books and comics".
Modern day setting is "key element".
Some of the cast has played the games.
Main focus was on crafting an elegant story not beholden to original games, but using same DNA.
Will retain many familiar elements from games while also not trying alienate those new to franchise.
Callum is "very different from Desmond, Clay or Daniel Cross".
Movie IS canon.
Will expand lore and mythology.
A NEW "kick ***" animus.
Lots of surprises in store.

SixKeys
08-28-2015, 06:08 PM
Among the most strange of propositions, stands the decrease in the Templar targets. The Nine are the Nine, it's called The Hunt for the Nine for a reason. Would they need to show every mission in detail, encompassing every step to acquire information? Obviously not. In fact, when it comes to the less prominent of the Nine, those steps could be summarizes in a quick scene of eavesdropping or other action.

Do you realize that in the game each target took about an hour to kill? That's an hour's worth of build-up, which made them feel so important. If you try to cram 8 hours worth of character development - of 8 different characters, no less - into a 2-hour movie, you'll have an incoherent mess on your hands. Who is the "less prominent" of the nine, in your opinion, since all of them got equal time in the game? What criteria would you use to choose whose story to focus on more and whose less? Rather than cram in 9 shoddily written, poorly established characters, it makes far more sense to focus on only 2-3 of them, give them plenty of time to show their motivations and personalities and the assassin's relationship with them. For example, instead of white room confessions which are rather gimmicky and repetitive ("I did this because I am right and you are wrong! -No, it is *I* who is right and *you* who are wrong!"), you could show a flashback for one character explaining their motives, one character who dukes it out with the assassin in an epic 1v1 fight, and a traditional white room speech for the biggest baddie, who obviously deserves the most outstanding final scene.

Furthermore, Malik is cold and distant when interacting with Altar, for a very, very specific reason. I don't think I need to elaborate on that. Eliminating him, or worse, making him Altar's companion, would be the ultimate corruption in the story.

You don't seem to understand how movies work. Games are very straightforward. You largely create the adventure in your head. Your mind ignores the fact that getting from point A to point B can take you 12 hours, because you're constantly engaged. Your mind "skips" the idea that it takes half an hour just to move Altar from city to city. In your head it only feels like a few minutes, because you're busy watching the scenery as you ride on your horse, hiding from guards or climbing viewpoints. In a movie you have to spend time establishing atmosphere. That means sometimes having long stretches of silence when "nothing" is happening on screen. It means focusing on different camera angles to create iconic imagery. It means filming shots of little details like the assassin cracking their knuckles or their shadow moving across the wall. Such small details take precious screen time, and they can be extremely important to immerse the viewer in the movie. When your main goal is to immerse the viewer, you're going to have to sacrifice chunks of the story in favor of establishing atmosphere.

Look at the Lord of the Rings movies. There's a LOT that they cut out in favor of scenes that on the surface may seem pointless, but really help to immerse you in that world. Think of the long prologue in the Shire, when all we see is hobbits preparing for a birthday party, drinking and singing songs and smoking tobacco with Gandalf. In terms of the overall story, that's a lot of fluff. They chose to include a scene where Bilbo and Gandalf blow smoke rings in the air whilst leaving out big chunks about the Ring. But scenes like that serve a purpose. They help the audience bond with the characters. If they just crammed in every scene and character from the book in order to stay true to the story, they would lose its essence, which is the story of someone small standing up to immense dark forces. The Shire scenes show you why these small people are worth rooting for. They seem like nice people, they're innocent and happy. The smoke-blowing scene establishes a sense of peace and tranquility in this small village that hasn't been tainted by evil yet.

That's the kind of stuff a movie must concern itself with. Not whether there are 8 or 9 villains who all need equal screentime becaue it's what happened in the game, but rather the feel of the game, its overall essence. AC1's essence is a man learning to humble himself because he discovers a cause greater than himself. Everything in the plot must revolve around that idea, and conveying his emotions and struggle in a way that gives the audience enough time to identify with him and grow to like him. That's actually really challenging when you only have 2 hours to convey one person's emotional growth AND establishing a vast network of conspiracy happening around him.

So, your problem is Altar's bi-dimentionality? In that line of reasoning, must all protagonists and characters be, in your words, compelling? And what is compelling, for that matter? Must all characters be multi-dimentional? Surely because there is no one on this earth that may actually resemble Altar personality?

In a movie, yes, a compelling protagonist is vital. "Compelling" meaning someone you actually care about, who you want to succeed. If the protagonist is not compelling, then the viewer couldn't give two s***s about his or her personal quest. If they can't form any kind of emotional connection with the main character, they won't care about the story he has to tell. In a game this is not so vital because gamers are used to silent protagonists. Just give us a floating gun and tell us where to point it and we're fairly satisfied. Games keep our brains occupied by giving us agency, so we don't have to worry about getting bored even if the protagonist is dull. But in a movie, we're stuck watching the same reel as everyone else in the cinema, we can't control any of it. So the story they tell us better be damned compelling.

There are good people and bad people, cold or distant people and emotional drama queens, there are enthusiastic people and depressive people, etc, etc, etc. Why must all characters be compelling, multi-layered personalities?

You speak as if all those things are mutually exclusive. Depressed characters can be compelling. Cold and distant people can be compelling. Enthusiastic people can be compelling. Compelling simply means that the character is interesting and you want to see what happens to them. The Joker in The Dark Knight is compelling, and he's a psychopathic villain.

Altar is my favorite assassin, but I also acknowledge he's not very layered. AC1 is more focused on atmosphere and its philosophy than character development. Altar's character is flimsy at best, and it works for the purposes of the game. They meant to create a cold, faceless killer (literally - he has Desmond's face, after all). His story was more about uncovering the massive conspiracy underlying it all than a personal story with a lot of emotional moments. So the character development he goes through is quite straightforward. He starts off as a selfish high-school jock and ends up as a wise mentor. That's the plot of Cars, if you think about it. :p Not exactly riveting character development. Cars is a kids' movie so that kind of writing is acceptable, but if you wanna make an Assassin's Creed movie with more adult appeal, you need something better than that.

Edit: My typing sucks today.

RVSage
08-28-2015, 07:00 PM
Excited, for the movie. The information so far on the movie indicates. They story is likely to be more cohesive And I hope starting with syndicate the lore is back on track

CrossedEagle
08-28-2015, 07:01 PM
"In regards to canon: 'We share the same universe. Elements in the film have consequences as in our games, books and comics".
Modern day setting is "key element'."

I asked that question :)

I'm loving how the Aguilar's outfit looks like ACR!Ezio, but has the simplicity of Altair's robes. Call me crazy but it almost reminds me of Edward's in the front too.

dxsxhxcx
08-28-2015, 07:06 PM
Will retain many familiar elements from games while also not trying alienate those new to franchise.

I smell collectibles and the screen cluttered with icons... lol

ze_topazio
08-28-2015, 07:07 PM

http://auto.img.v4.skyrock.net/5129/79255129/pics/3015396479_1_3_ngIMZUwU.jpg

D.I.D.
08-28-2015, 07:32 PM

I never thought I'd say this, but if they've really got Michael K Williams playing any kind of significant role in this then I might actually go and see it. It's a surprisingly good cast, if that's real.

Farlander1991
08-28-2015, 07:38 PM
Let's get something straight: we have Assassin's Creed and The Secret Crusade; let's leave the mobile sequels aside, for the moment. So there you have it, it's the fundamental story of Altar.

That doesn't have anything to do with what I said.

Third, recapturing or reshaping a game or a book into a movie, would always involve an adaptation. I believe this is self-explanatory. But I wouldn't appreciate one such as Game of Thrones, for instance, which is almost a new story entirely. That's my whole point.

My whole point is that adaptation is not about story, it's about the essence of the original transferred to the new medium in a way that works in the new medium.

Let's look at some of the greatest and best-received book-to-movie adaptations ever:
1. I'll start with How to Train Your Dragon again, cause already mentioned it once. The only common thing between it and the book in terms of story is the names of characters. Even Toothless is a dragon you can't fly on in the books cause it's like the size of the cat, yet the writer of the originals herself applauded the adaptation as it retained the spirit of the book and kept the heart of it.
2. The Lord of the Rings trilogy - not only about 30-40% of the events from the book is missing, and about 50% of the characters, there's barely anything you can find in there without differences, sometimes fundamental story differences. Aragorn and Faramir are absolutely different characters (and I personally prefer Faramir of the movie to Faramir from the book... though I should mention the Extended Edition version of the movie, as the theatrical version of Two Towers cut some scenes that made the movie Faramir really great). The relationship between Aragorn and Arwen. How Boromir accepts Aragorn as a king. I can go on, but in terms of story there's tons of changes, yet it's an amazing, well-acclaimed and loved adaptation as it's retained the heart of the original (of course there are purists who'd nitpick every change, but, hey, that's the minority).
3. Fight Club - does some changes to the plot that the writer himself says he wished he'd do in the book after he saw the movie.
4. Jurassic Park - I don't exactly remember the differences in terms of plot, but the characterizations of the characters are different for sure (Hammond is much more antagonistic in the book) and some characters are merged together into one.
5. Godfather - a beloved classic by many. While overall nature of the plot is similar, there's plenty of differences in terms of characterization, events, how they're shown, etc. And it was adapted to screenplay by the writer of the novel himself, who understood what changes had to be made for the film to work.
The list can go on, like, forever, but there are three main things that all these have in common:

1. All those movies are great (as in, considered to be great and beloved by many)
2. All those movies have varying changes (from few to a lot) from the source material that aren't just about story compression, but change plot, characterizations, amount of characters, depiction of events, important details and sometimes even a couple thematic elements. In terms of story, they range from 'similar' to 'vaguely the same' to 'not same at all'.
3. All those movies bring the essence of the original intact to the medium that they're in, so the main point, the core, of the source material is there.

And this is what makes all of them great adaptations.

EmptyCrustacean
08-28-2015, 07:47 PM
stole this from reddit cos I'm lazy
Heavy hints at cameos of other Assassin's.

I don't mind some cameos or Easter Eggs but I'd wish they'd left it there because:

In regards to canon: "We share the same universe. Elements in the film have consequences as in our games, books and comics".

Movie IS canon.

Tis is a mistake. Two different mediums should not exist in the same universe. The movie is the movie, the game is the game. All this will do is restrict story telling. This is going to create so many continuity errors the story will collapse on itself.

Some of the cast has played the games.

I wonder who.

strigoi1958
08-28-2015, 08:02 PM
I'm looking forward to it... I hope it is not too similar to previous games but at the same time has easter eggs or pays homage at times so that we can nod knowingly at the screen while it passes other people by... ;)

Matknapers18
08-28-2015, 08:36 PM
Tis is a mistake. Two different mediums should not exist in the same universe. The movie is the movie, the game is the game. All this will do is restrict story telling. This is going to create so many continuity errors the story will collapse on itself.

I understand what you mean. The possibility of continuity errors and story restrictions is totally plausible. But in, my opinion, having a story that isn't Canon, would create more problems than a story that is. It would be an incredibly difficult thing to do for the writing team though. Imagine having to re-write the whole Assassin's Creed universe, where all the work and influence from Ezio, Altair, Connor and Desmond doesn't exist. These characters are just too important. They shape the universe of AC. To the point, where they are part of the Assassins Creed brand identity, they have to be present one way or another. Otherwise it just isnt AC. Thats my opinion anyway. Knowing there's an AC universe where my favourite characters are absent would make me shuffle in my sleep.

Forgive me If i have misinterpreted your point

joelsantos24
08-28-2015, 08:51 PM
In a movie, yes, a compelling protagonist is vital. "Compelling" meaning someone you actually care about, who you want to succeed. If the protagonist is not compelling, then the viewer couldn't give two s***s about his or her personal quest. If they can't form any kind of emotional connection with the main character, they won't care about the story he has to tell. In a game this is not so vital because gamers are used to silent protagonists. Just give us a floating gun and tell us where to point it and we're fairly satisfied. Games keep our brains occupied by giving us agency, so we don't have to worry about getting bored even if the protagonist is dull. But in a movie, we're stuck watching the same reel as everyone else in the cinema, we can't control any of it. So the story they tell us better be damned compelling.
The whole point behind my (overly sarcastic, I admit) statement is that Altar is compelling. And the fact that he is compelling, not to mention the (arguably) favorite character of the series, for a very large portion of fans, if not for the vast majority, doesn't it defeat this whole fraction of your statement? In my opinion, it does.

You speak as if all those things are mutually exclusive. Depressed characters can be compelling. Cold and distant people can be compelling. Enthusiastic people can be compelling. Compelling simply means that the character is interesting and you want to see what happens to them. The Joker in The Dark Knight is compelling, and he's a psychopathic villain.
Precisely what I meant (said). A character is exactly that which he/she needs to be. If the game did a poor job at portraying Altar, again, that's debatable. I underline, again, those who have read the book, understand Altar.

Altar is my favorite assassin, but I also acknowledge he's not very layered. AC1 is more focused on atmosphere and its philosophy than character development. Altar's character is flimsy at best, and it works for the purposes of the game. They meant to create a cold, faceless killer (literally - he has Desmond's face, after all). His story was more about uncovering the massive conspiracy underlying it all than a personal story with a lot of emotional moments. So the character development he goes through is quite straightforward. He starts off as a selfish high-school jock and ends up as a wise mentor. That's the plot of Cars, if you think about it. :p Not exactly riveting character development. Cars is a kids' movie so that kind of writing is acceptable, but if you wanna make an Assassin's Creed movie with more adult appeal, you need something better than that.
Nor does he need to be. Again, the book highlights Altar's background and development, and it's cannon. Obviously, the game has to focus on the execution, so all these details are kept off of it. Just one small example: no one that hasn't read the books, understands why Altar and Abbas can't stand the sight of one another.

That doesn't have anything to do with what I said.
A story's content doesn't mutate, regardless of the interpreter or the manner in which it's told. At least it shouldn't. You have a source, objective and detailed, so you convey it. What it promotes, however, particularly in regards to people's understanding and interpretation of the facts, that's obviously dependent on the individual.

My whole point is that adaptation is not about story, it's about the essence of the original transferred to the new medium in a way that works in the new medium.

Let's look at some of the greatest and best-received book-to-movie adaptations ever:
1. I'll start with How to Train Your Dragon again, cause already mentioned it once. The only common thing between it and the book in terms of story is the names of characters. Even Toothless is a dragon you can't fly on in the books cause it's like the size of the cat, yet the writer of the originals herself applauded the adaptation as it retained the spirit of the book and kept the heart of it.
2. The Lord of the Rings trilogy - not only about 30-40% of the events from the book is missing, and about 50% of the characters, there's barely anything you can find in there without differences, sometimes fundamental story differences. Aragorn and Faramir are absolutely different characters (and I personally prefer Faramir of the movie to Faramir from the book... though I should mention the Extended Edition version of the movie, as the theatrical version of Two Towers cut some scenes that made the movie Faramir really great). The relationship between Aragorn and Arwen. How Boromir accepts Aragorn as a king. I can go on, but in terms of story there's tons of changes, yet it's an amazing, well-acclaimed and loved adaptation as it's retained the heart of the original (of course there are purists who'd nitpick every change, but, hey, that's the minority).
3. Fight Club - does some changes to the plot that the writer himself says he wished he'd do in the book after he saw the movie.
4. Jurassic Park - I don't exactly remember the differences in terms of plot, but the characterizations of the characters are different for sure (Hammond is much more antagonistic in the book) and some characters are merged together into one.
5. Godfather - a beloved classic by many. While overall nature of the plot is similar, there's plenty of differences in terms of characterization, events, how they're shown, etc. And it was adapted to screenplay by the writer of the novel himself, who understood what changes had to be made for the film to work.
The list can go on, like, forever, but there are three main things that all these have in common:

1. All those movies are great (as in, considered to be great and beloved by many)
2. All those movies have varying changes (from few to a lot) from the source material that aren't just about story compression, but change plot, characterizations, amount of characters, depiction of events, important details and sometimes even a couple thematic elements. In terms of story, they range from 'similar' to 'vaguely the same' to 'not same at all'.
3. All those movies bring the essence of the original intact to the medium that they're in, so the main point, the core, of the source material is there.

And this is what makes all of them great adaptations.
But that essence, is story. Moreover, it must belong to it's backbone, the very foundation that defines the whole path of the protagonist and his/her interactions with other characters. The context is everything, the context gives meaning, significance to the whole plot.

We all agree that, in order for it to fit into a conventionally-lengthed movie, AC1's story would've to undergo significant adaptation. And I understand, and agree, with all those examples you just gave, but I still don't believe in an action that would corrupt the story or a character. If it doesn't work or if it would be to large to accommodate in the movie, just leave it out. But the core of the story should be untouchable. Surely you agree?

VestigialLlama4
08-28-2015, 08:53 PM
Why would you need to explain the Asasiyun for the movie to make sense?

Very simply, what is the core idea of the entire franchise? The core of Assassin's Creed isn't the MD, its not the First Civ, its not the Historical Tourism. The core idea of Assassin's Creed is the idea of killing people and the ethics around that. That sometimes you can and you must kill people and that its entirely an ethical debate about how to kill so that your actions have the greatest good and the least evil.

In a movie where you have to use the little time to get to essences and to sources, you need to put that viewpoint and mentality across, that challenge to conventional morality. To do it best you have to go to the source, the origins.

The only game that has anything to do with the historical sect is AC1. The sequels are about an entirely fictional group of murderers. Ezio went through the entirety of AC2 being a non-affiliated vigilante, same with Edward in AC4.

Well what is that little six-word phrase everyone keeps uttering, where did that originate from? Its an actual phrase, attributed in historical chronicles, repeatedly intoned in AC1, AC2, AC4? Hmm? All the games, regardless of the ethos is tied to the philiosophy of the Assassins in the first game. That attack on conventional morality, the look at society from the viewpoint of marginalized and outlaws is tied to AC1 repeatedly.

You could rename the Assassins and Templars as Sharks vs. Jets and the underlying tensions wouldn't change.

No you can't. You try doing that when replaying the games as a thought experiment. Only by ignoring all the immersive elements in the game can you arrive at that conclusion.

Farlander1991
08-28-2015, 08:57 PM
Please, understand me right, I'm not against adaptation, I'm against changing main plot and main characters.

I won't repeat my points about this, but, I don't understand the nature of the complaint, considering that the AC movie doesn't not change anything. It's an addition to the universe. Much like the comics, much like the short films we already have. We have two present day protagonists in the comics (the non-French canon ones) and soon there's another comic coming out (without any subtitles, just Assassin's Creed, btw), which will be another addition to the universe. Just like this movie. It will certainly have introductory elements, being a completely different mass medium (and, to be honest, I think the new AC comic is also going to be geared as a bit introductory for new-comers). But it doesn't change or negate anything from the game or other AC stories.

And now we will get mediocre, trivial love story.

And this is just a really wild conjecture with nothing to stand on. I'm not saying there won't be a love story. Chances are there will be. But we still don't know that. And we certainly haven't actually seen the result to know if it's going to be 'trivial' or not.

Nemesis-T
08-28-2015, 08:57 PM
Please, understand me right, I'm not against adaptation, I'm against changing main plot and main characters.

I agree, that AC1 had repetitive gameplay. But how it concerns the story? AC1 had the best story! And noone assassin (even Ezio) had most controversial and interesting character!

Also the main goal of the story was seeking the truth, who is your friend, what is the history and religion? And now we will get mediocre, trivial love story. Do you really interested in such mediocre movie?

I'm still a customer. And movie budget is not my problem. It should be great movie or don't make it at all. There is enough "summer action garbage" with no marks in memory and history. And AC movie about Cullem Shmullem definitely is not what I was waiting for.

Matknapers18

High five, bro! How could universe exists without characters that define it? Nonsense!
What next? Mass Effect without Shepard? Oh shi... :D

-----
Some edition was made

Nemesis-T
08-28-2015, 09:03 PM
It's an addition to the universe
They can put their addition right into their asses. I was waiting for origin, for meeting with old favourite characters, for some nostalgia. New person can't bring that atmosphere!

VestigialLlama4
08-28-2015, 09:10 PM
AC1 is already criticized for being boring and repetitive as a game, imagine trying to turn it into an exciting movie that will bring millions of asses on the cinema seats.

Actually Assassin's Creed 1 is the most cinematic and straightforward of all the games. Its much more simply to translate that into the movies than any of the other games. The simplest reasons is that visually AC1 has a common general setting, the Middle East during the Crusades, it has factions and an entire society, so in terms of set design, it has a visual consistency and coherence. It can almost be done like a Western though the main problem is that given the status of Syria at present, you can't really shoot on location, you will have to do it entirely on sets or probably use Morocco and Tunis to substitute it. That is a pity since they could have used the actual Masyaf Castle as an exterior.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/Masyaf_-_Gesamtansicht.jpg

Compare that to later games, in AC2 or in this case Renaissance Spain, you have to build whole Renaissance cities of different architectural styles.

The main reason why AC1 would work is that everything is tied together, the Assassins are explained in relation to the Crusades, Altair is one of the Assassins (so like a Ninja), the Templars are part of the invaders. Altair also has a plot to whack so-and-so. The later games are much harder to do, because it involves First-Civ stuff and Juno and all that, and to me that would never work in an AC movie.

In any case I don't really want them to adapt AC1 to the movies. I would prefer if they go pre-AC1, to the founding of the Assassins, Hassan-I-Sabah that era. Closer to the novel by Vladimir Bartol but not exactly the same thing. That would make the movie a prequel to the entire franchise and a perfect bridgeway for newcomers.

Altar is rather two-dimensional as a character, as much as I like him - most of his personal development happened in ACR. In AC1 he starts off as just a total d*uche who's full of himself. Basically the Gaston of video games. By the end of the game he's extremely humble and honorable. It's going from one extreme to another and not in a very realistic way. It gets a pass in a video game where character development is still mostly seen as a nice bonus rather than a necessity, but in a movie you need a compelling, well-written protagonist.

Well Han Solo starts off as anti-heroic mercenary and becomes a revolutionary by the end of Star Wars 1, drastic transition no? Compare that to its inspiration, Bogart in Casablanca, a much more developed character certainly and the origin of the cynical anti-hero archetype in movies). The problem is these days we mistake over-written characterizations for complexity rather than having a character with inner resources suggested by performance. So that's why people want excess backstory and personal goals instead.

Nemesis-T
08-28-2015, 09:27 PM
That would make the movie a prequel to the entire franchise and a perfect bridgeway for newcomers.
Cool idea! Such decision I can accept!
I even see the ending!
Al Mualim speaks to himself: "dark days are coming, apple is in the city, I should send the best apprentice to get it... And I know who can do the job best of all... Altair! Come here, my boy!"
Altair comes in.
Music from Terminator plays: ta dam tam ta dam! ta dam tam ta dam!
Credits!
Epic!

:D:D:D

VestigialLlama4
08-28-2015, 09:32 PM
In any case my main problem with an AC movie set in Spain is simply the question of "Is this something we haven't seen before?"

The thing is in the games, the historical tourism and immersion in another time and place is quite new and unique, it had never been done before and the use of open world as a form of time and space travel was quite new and has a lot of potential. It greatly expanded the scope and potential of video game. But in movies there are several great historical period films. Like if you are going to make a movie set in Spain during the Inquisition, you will have to compete with, well Monty Python for one but also History of the World Part 1. There's also for instance The Saragossa Manuscript, 1492: Conquest of Paradise and a few Spanish films. So what reason is there going to be to set a movie in Spain during the time of the Inquisition? Its not something entirely new.

There are quite a few good movies set during the Renaissance, so what purpose would AC2 the Movie show aside from say showing the hero punching the Pope in a fist-fight, which would undoubtedly be worth the price of admission and several burnt theaters. Likewise with AC3 you have The Last of the Mohicans, Drums Along the Mohawk, that TV show John Adams and much as I despite it, The Patriot. With UNITY, that piece of s--t doesn't deserve to be in the company of the great movies about the French Revolution to which it cannot hope to compete with.

For AC, making a movie set in say Feudal Japan/Ancient Egypt is a big deal. But for moviemakers to set a movie in that same time, well its like making a Western because there are plenty of movies set in that era, and quite a few good ones. The point of adapting into a medium is if you think it can contribute or bring something new to it. The only really new elements in AC are the original Asasiyun and that alternate look at the Crusades. In most movies, the Crusades is entirely shown from the point of view of the invaders rather than the people there. This idea of this new philosophy and unconventional attitude to morality is what makes it new and radical. So that's why I think they should have started the game with the origins of the Asasiyuns and keep all the fantastic elements to the side and then introduce that in the sequels.

The other option is make it entirely an MD movie, the concept is exploring your past and ancestry from the point of view of the present, the comic book Brahman was an interesting take on that. Its one of the few times the MD has a better story than the historical section. The middle class hero finds out that his ancestor was an untouchable for instance and given that he's a snob it affects his life and relationships. So there are dramatic possibilities there but again the title of the series is "Assassin's Creed" and at its core its about killing people and what that means and how you live with what you do.

VestigialLlama4
08-28-2015, 09:38 PM
Cool idea! Such decision I can accept!
I even see the ending!
Al Mualim speaks to himself: "dark days are coming, apple is in the city, I should send the best apprentice to get it... And I know who can do the job best of all... Altair! Come here, my boy!"
Altair comes in.
Music from Terminator plays: ta dam tam ta dam! ta dam tam ta dam!
Credits!
Epic!

Nah...cheesy.

The point is the Assassins began in Persia, in Alamut while Al Mualim is based in Masyaf in Syria, there's a good bit of distance between these two nations. Its an earlier period.

Farlander1991
08-28-2015, 10:03 PM
A story's content doesn't mutate, regardless of the interpreter or the manner in which it's told.

Stories have always mutated, ever since the ancient times. The point of the story is not the content, it's what it's trying to say. The content is just the means to say it.

But that essence, is story. Moreover, it must belong to it's backbone, the very foundation that defines the whole path of the protagonist and his/her interactions with other characters. The context is everything, the context gives meaning, significance to the whole plot.

We all agree that, in order for it to fit into a conventionally-lengthed movie, AC1's story would've to undergo significant adaptation. And I understand, and agree, with all those examples you just gave, but I still don't believe in an action that would corrupt the story or a character. If it doesn't work or if it would be to large to accommodate in the movie, just leave it out. But the core of the story should be untouchable. Surely you agree?

I agree, but I don't agree with what you define is the core of the story and it's backbone. You put big importance to the details, but they're not the backbone. You look at the final result, and take it all as the essence.

You say, for example, "it's called the Hunt for the Nine for a reason", stating that it's important to have the 9 AC targets in an adaptation. It's true that in the end we have 9 targets and that's why it's called the Hunt for the Nine. But do you think that the story was born as 'we need to have these 9 people with these personalities killed?' No. It actually began as two assassins protecting the prince (as it was supposed to be part of Prince of Persia series). Then the game became about an assassin killing people during the Crusades. So question arose, why does he kill people? Well, because of ideological differences. What are those differences? Well, it's that and that, what became the Creed and Templar philosophy. How do we have the players learn about this? Well, with our main character who misunderstands his philosophy but learns it eventually. And so on and so on until the core was finally formed. But stuff like 9 targets, Malik's exact attitude towards Altair, heck, even who the targets are, is not important, those are details - the means of conveying the core, but not the core itself.

AC1 at it's core is not about a person killing 9 Templars. It's about a person using his philosophy for his own personal end being humbled and learning what it actually means. It doesn't matter if Altair kills 9 targets or just one. What matters is that the target's ideological thoughts will clash with his and will lead to a better understanding of the Creed.

It doesn't matter that Malik is cold and distant towards Altair and is not seen much. Malik's role in the story is not to be cold and distant and then warm and kind. Malik's role in the story is to be a personification of attitude towards Altair that acknowledges and accepts his change. That can take a huge number of forms. In turn, it doesn't matter that Malik has a brother Kadir who died because of Altair (and also the arm thing). What matters is that Altair has done irreparable damage to Malik, but Malik sees how Altair has changed and forgives him.

Exploration of the Creed is what matters, that it's not 'do anything you want', but 'be wise' (in short).

"Making Malik a companion is corrupting the story and the character", no it's not. Corrupting the story would be Malik being in approval of what kind of person Altair is in the beginning of the game, for example.

Ultimately, AC1 is a tale of redemption and finding wisdom. The game tells it in its own way, that suits the medium of video games. Other mediums will tell it in a way that suits them.

SpiritOfNevaeh
08-29-2015, 02:07 AM
lololololololol

Freaking autocorrect DX
I meant Adewale!!!

Nemesis-T
08-29-2015, 08:52 AM
AC1 at it's core is not about a person killing 9 Templars. It's about a person using his philosophy for his own personal end being humbled and learning what it actually means. It doesn't matter if Altair kills 9 targets or just one. What matters is that the target's ideological thoughts will clash with his and will lead to a better understanding of the Creed.

It doesn't matter that Malik is cold and distant towards Altair and is not seen much. Malik's role in the story is not to be cold and distant and then warm and kind. Malik's role in the story is to be a personification of attitude towards Altair that acknowledges and accepts his change. That can take a huge number of forms. In turn, it doesn't matter that Malik has a brother Kadir who died because of Altair (and also the arm thing). What matters is that Altair has done irreparable damage to Malik, but Malik sees how Altair has changed and forgives him.

Exploration of the Creed is what matters, that it's not 'do anything you want', but 'be wise' (in short).

Totally agree, I wouldn't say better!
And this story I expected to be told in movie. Of course, with many additions but saving the core of story and main characters. Without them the movie has zero value for me. Just another crap for making money, no more. That's all. Thanks for discussion.

SixKeys
08-29-2015, 09:38 AM
Nor does he need to be. Again, the book highlights Altar's background and development, and it's cannon. Obviously, the game has to focus on the execution, so all these details are kept off of it. Just one small example: no one that hasn't read the books, understands why [FONT=Arial]Altar and Abbas can't stand the sight of one another.

*facepalm*

We are talking about AC1. The book came out 4 years after that game, as a tie-in for ACR. Right from the start I said that most of Altair's character development happened in ACR. The first game was written by Corey May, ACR by Darby McDevitt. Two different writers with their own interpretations and ideas for the same character. Forget the book for a second. It was made for a different game. We are talking about turning AC1 into a movie, not ACR. So we can only use the information we had about Altair back in 2007 when the character was introduced. That means no Abbas (at least as no more than some random guy who insults Altair at the gates of Masyaf), no parents, no relationship with Maria, no offspring. NOW tell me how the character is interesting and compelling without all those things. In AC1, Altair has no background aside from a brief mention of Adah. If you want to make a movie about AC1, make a movie about AC1, not some sequel that added and retconned a lot of his history.

joelsantos24
08-29-2015, 11:12 AM
(...)

Well Han Solo starts off as anti-heroic mercenary and becomes a revolutionary by the end of Star Wars 1, drastic transition no? Compare that to its inspiration, Bogart in Casablanca, a much more developed character certainly and the origin of the cynical anti-hero archetype in movies). The problem is these days we mistake over-written characterizations for complexity rather than having a character with inner resources suggested by performance. So that's why people want excess backstory and personal goals instead.
Completely agree.

Stories have always mutated, ever since the ancient times. The point of the story is not the content, it's what it's trying to say. The content is just the means to say it.True. But you have two separate and distinct, and not mutually exclusive, events taking place: what is being conveyed; and what it promotes in the listeners/viewers. In a story, if character A carried out the action B, that sequence will never mutate, it will never change, regardless of the person telling the story. The act B will always be committed by the character A. Does the manner and emphasis through which a person tells a story, whatever the medium (movie, book, etc), change it? Obviously. Different people will always emphasize different aspects. That's precisely the reason why older movies being remade, feel very much different from the original. I was talking more about the core, at the level of character A carrying the action B.

I agree, but I don't agree with what you define is the core of the story and it's backbone. You put big importance to the details, but they're not the backbone. You look at the final result, and take it all as the essence.
Yes, I may give considerable significance to the details, after all details are the thing that gives credibility to a story. I once read: "details are the catalyst that makes language spring to life." Can't remember the author, though.

You say, for example, "it's called the Hunt for the Nine for a reason", stating that it's important to have the 9 AC targets in an adaptation. It's true that in the end we have 9 targets and that's why it's called the Hunt for the Nine. But do you think that the story was born as 'we need to have these 9 people with these personalities killed?' No. It actually began as two assassins protecting the prince (as it was supposed to be part of Prince of Persia series). Then the game became about an assassin killing people during the Crusades. So question arose, why does he kill people? Well, because of ideological differences. What are those differences? Well, it's that and that, what became the Creed and Templar philosophy. How do we have the players learn about this? Well, with our main character who misunderstands his philosophy but learns it eventually. And so on and so on until the core was finally formed. But stuff like 9 targets, Malik's exact attitude towards Altair, heck, even who the targets are, is not important, those are details - the means of conveying the core, but not the core itself.
Well, in my opinion, the Hunt for the Nine was indeed a meaningful part of the entire plot, but not in the way you probably assume. To me, it was meaningful to acknowledge that the Templars were more than a Christian order. As it turns out, they were people from different contexts, different backgrounds, characterized by very distinct beliefs, supposedly incompatible, and united under the same philosophy, the same purpose. Obviously, the number of targets, which has now become emblematic, is not essential, or wouldn't be essential in a movie. The story is not about the nine targets, granted. It's about Assassins and Templars, it's about their philosophies and the chasm that separates them, it's about freedom vs. order, it's about the blind struggle for power and the corruption that follows (Majd Addin and William of Montferrat), it's about the dangers of fundamentalism of beliefs (Jubair), the cold disregard in the seek for profit (Tamir), the fear of the nothingness (Sibrand), the inconsideration for fellow human lives (Talal), the effects of neglect and prejudice (Abu'l Nuquod), and the dangers of science without measure (Garnier de Naplouse). It's about all that defines and affects humanity.

"Making Malik a companion is corrupting the story and the character", no it's not. Corrupting the story would be Malik being in approval of what kind of person Altair is in the beginning of the game, for example.

Ultimately, AC1 is a tale of redemption and finding wisdom. The game tells it in its own way, that suits the medium of video games. Other mediums will tell it in a way that suits them.
Ultimately, I agree.

*facepalm*

We are talking about AC1. The book came out 4 years after that game, as a tie-in for ACR. Right from the start I said that most of Altair's character development happened in ACR. The first game was written by Corey May, ACR by Darby McDevitt. Two different writers with their own interpretations and ideas for the same character. Forget the book for a second. It was made for a different game. We are talking about turning AC1 into a movie, not ACR. So we can only use the information we had about Altair back in 2007 when the character was introduced. That means no Abbas (at least as no more than some random guy who insults Altair at the gates of Masyaf), no parents, no relationship with Maria, no offspring. NOW tell me how the character is interesting and compelling without all those things. In AC1, Altair has no background aside from a brief mention of Adah. If you want to make a movie about AC1, make a movie about AC1, not some sequel that added and retconned a lot of his history.
Sorry, I disagree.

Locopells
08-29-2015, 12:15 PM
Carlos Bardem has confirmed on his Twitter Account that he will be joining the cast of the Assassin's Creed Movie.

D.I.D.
08-29-2015, 12:20 PM

This is starting to feel like less of a movie and more like an expensive, elaborate plot to make me eat my hat.

EmptyCrustacean
08-29-2015, 12:23 PM
This is starting to feel like less of a movie and more like an expensive, elaborate plot to make me eat my hat.

I'm assuming that's a positive remark?

Fox pushed the movie to a December release which means they must have a lot of faith in how the movie is shaping up.

D.I.D.
08-29-2015, 12:51 PM
I'm assuming that's a positive remark?

I think so, but I'm so English and dry that even I can't be sure.

All I know is that the AC movie is hiding somewhere in this diagram:

http://i.imgur.com/7whKwPq.jpg

VestigialLlama4
08-29-2015, 01:14 PM
I am quite positive that this movie will not be good, so for me the casting is beside the point at this stage.

joelsantos24
08-29-2015, 01:35 PM
I am quite positive that this movie will not be good, so for me the casting is beside the point at this stage.
Really? And why would it be so?

RA503
08-29-2015, 04:08 PM
Maybe The Borgias can star in the movie ?

Jessigirl2013
08-29-2015, 05:27 PM
I think so, but I'm so English and dry that even I can't be sure.

All I know is that the AC movie is hiding somewhere in this diagram:

http://i.imgur.com/7whKwPq.jpg

Haha ;)

Woah this thread got busy quick ;)

I hope they don't keep referencing the movie in the games if it is separate. ;)

Weirdly i'm actually disappointed as I though it would be a movie of AC1 and ACII in one movie ;)
At least if its s*** it wont ruin the games. <----- Could be UBIs thinking!.

Farlander1991
08-29-2015, 09:22 PM
In a story, if character A carried out the action B, that sequence will never mutate, it will never change, regardless of the person telling the story.

This is true only when it comes to the particular representation of the story. This is not the case, nor does it have to be, when changing mediums - even when it's really similar, that won't be the same story.

And also, when it comes to ancient and medieval myths, for example, there are a bunch of different tellings of the same story where different things happen. Because somebody would think, 'you know what, I believe this makes more sense and conveys the point more clearly', and that's it, we have a different, mutated version of the story. And that would happen in the same medium, not even adaptation to a different one.

So yes, a particular representation of the story will never change, but we are not, and don't have to be, constricted to that particular representation. And, on the example of LotR, let's say. Book LotR and movie LotR are widely different. Book LotR is Tolkien's LotR, movie LotR is Jackson's representation of Tolkien's LotR. It's the same in spirit and its core, conveys the same ideas, but goes widely different in how it's represented. And, yes, to somebody movie LotR may not be to their liking. But there always will be book LotR. It won't change or stay the same. And now there's movie LotR which won't change or stay the same. Actually, scratch that, there are two versions of movie LotR - the theatrical and the Extended Editions, and, honestly, I widely prefer EEs to the theatricals, like, literally I can't watch the theatrical version because there's so much good stuff in the EE, stuff that changes the story somewhat, changes how it's perceived, mutates pacing and character arcs. But you know what? It's great that there's those two versions, everybody can choose to their liking.

Art is a living, mutating, evolving thing. That's kinda what's beautiful about it. People get inspired by it, they make their own art, and they can make their own version of the art that inspired them in the first place. Thatt's great. We already have AC1 that we have, nothing will change that. So it's not a bad thing to have a different AC1, especially when the medium is changed. And even with changed details, it can still remain true to the core, and be a great work of its own medium.

And, while we're at it, while this won't make for a great adaptation, if a person wants he can change the core. That happens all the time as well. It can still be a great work, but it won't be a good adaptation anymore. For a good adaptation, the core has to stay the same.

I was talking more about the core, at the level of character A carrying the action B.

But that is not the core. That level is the superficial one - that makes the core acceptable and believable. Imagine that a core is a spherical ball, and the core of the story is, well, in the center. You can dig to it in a certain way from a certain position. But you can also do it in an absolutely different way from an absolutely different position. Or nearby. With the digging being a metaphor for story details.

That's essentially what the creator does when creating the story - he digs to what he wants to try to convey. And in the middle of creating that story, he changes how he digs all the time, maybe even the starting positions. And when the medium changes, you're essentially have your toolset switched, one that may not make it possible to dig the same way as in that other medium. Ergo you find a better solution.

Yes, I may give considerable significance to the details, after all details are the thing that gives credibility to a story. I once read: "details are the catalyst that makes language spring to life." Can't remember the author, though.

I totally agree with that, and details is what divides great stories from stories with good but unexplored ideas. As well as total ********. Details are indeed important because that's what makes the story work.

And just changing details for the sake of changing details is bad. Continuing the digging metaphor, that's like making a path that's not connected in the middle and creating a hole somewhere else. But as long as the path is well dug, properly connected, makes sense, and leads to that ball in the center, it doesn't really matter how exactly the digging process was going.

strigoi1958
08-30-2015, 12:15 AM
I think it is interesting when we think back to previous games that became films (movies) like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil, Max Payne, Hitman and err Prince of Persia (sorry I can't think of any more) ... just how many we would consider to be good... even though they probably had a good cast... DOOM I just remembered it... must be more though.....

Although I think there is a rumour Deus Ex will become a film in the near future... and I will like that.

joelsantos24
08-30-2015, 09:59 AM
This is true only when it comes to the particular representation of the story. This is not the case, nor does it have to be, when changing mediums - even when it's really similar, that won't be the same story.

And also, when it comes to ancient and medieval myths, for example, there are a bunch of different tellings of the same story where different things happen. Because somebody would think, 'you know what, I believe this makes more sense and conveys the point more clearly', and that's it, we have a different, mutated version of the story. And that would happen in the same medium, not even adaptation to a different one.

So yes, a particular representation of the story will never change, but we are not, and don't have to be, constricted to that particular representation. And, on the example of LotR, let's say. Book LotR and movie LotR are widely different. Book LotR is Tolkien's LotR, movie LotR is Jackson's representation of Tolkien's LotR. It's the same in spirit and its core, conveys the same ideas, but goes widely different in how it's represented. And, yes, to somebody movie LotR may not be to their liking. But there always will be book LotR. It won't change or stay the same. And now there's movie LotR which won't change or stay the same. Actually, scratch that, there are two versions of movie LotR - the theatrical and the Extended Editions, and, honestly, I widely prefer EEs to the theatricals, like, literally I can't watch the theatrical version because there's so much good stuff in the EE, stuff that changes the story somewhat, changes how it's perceived, mutates pacing and character arcs. But you know what? It's great that there's those two versions, everybody can choose to their liking.

Art is a living, mutating, evolving thing. That's kinda what's beautiful about it. People get inspired by it, they make their own art, and they can make their own version of the art that inspired them in the first place. Thatt's great. We already have AC1 that we have, nothing will change that. So it's not a bad thing to have a different AC1, especially when the medium is changed. And even with changed details, it can still remain true to the core, and be a great work of its own medium.

And, while we're at it, while this won't make for a great adaptation, if a person wants he can change the core. That happens all the time as well. It can still be a great work, but it won't be a good adaptation anymore. For a good adaptation, the core has to stay the same.
So, you're saying that the medium change will affect the structure or representation of a story? Inherently? Obviously, each medium carries limitations, functional ou time-constricting, that forces the one telling the story, to be selective towards wish aspects are relevant and which are less relevant, that is, which ones to leave in or out of the main cut. So, is that what we're talking about, the limitations of each medium that force the story to be reshaped?

But that is not the core. That level is the superficial one - that makes the core acceptable and believable. Imagine that a core is a spherical ball, and the core of the story is, well, in the center. You can dig to it in a certain way from a certain position. But you can also do it in an absolutely different way from an absolutely different position. Or nearby. With the digging being a metaphor for story details.

That's essentially what the creator does when creating the story - he digs to what he wants to try to convey. And in the middle of creating that story, he changes how he digs all the time, maybe even the starting positions. And when the medium changes, you're essentially have your toolset switched, one that may not make it possible to dig the same way as in that other medium. Ergo you find a better solution.
I understand all that. It's just hard for me to accept the mutation or elimination of certain details in AC1, that I consider almost perennial. Reshaping the AC1's story to make it functional in a movie, would mean an adaptation of the book and game, granted, so considerable parts would have to be kept out. However, eliminating all those little remarkable details that we know so well, would eliminate some of the enjoyment of the entire piece of work, don't you agree? In a reshaped story, with some of those marking details kept, it would raise the level of acceptance of the audience (and here I mean specifically us, the fans): standing on you theatre seat, you'd think "oh, cool, I remember that!" :cool:

I totally agree with that, and details is what divides great stories from stories with good but unexplored ideas. As well as total ********. Details are indeed important because that's what makes the story work.

And just changing details for the sake of changing details is bad. Continuing the digging metaphor, that's like making a path that's not connected in the middle and creating a hole somewhere else. But as long as the path is well dug, properly connected, makes sense, and leads to that ball in the center, it doesn't really matter how exactly the digging process was going.
Agreed. But, as I said just above, I still believe some details should be kept, in order to secure that bond with the fraction of the audience that is specially connected with the theme, and series.

DualFace
08-30-2015, 10:11 AM
I have to give the costume designers props---I think they're doing a nice job so far. Fassbender looks pretty badass in it.

The movie time period sequences taking place in 15th century Spain again though makes me wonder all kinds of things like how it
might (if at all) relate to anything that we've experienced with the Ezio saga. That'd be pretty cool if it did.

Sushiglutton
08-30-2015, 11:30 AM
The more I think about this movie the more curious I get how they will handle everything. I mean like the present/history ties to the games, eagle vision(?), leap of faith(?) will they complicate things by TWCB stuff, how weird will they go. Have to admit I'm way more excited for the movie than a new game :D!

Matknapers18
08-30-2015, 02:42 PM
The more I think about this movie the more curious I get how they will handle everything. I mean like the present/history ties to the games, eagle vision(?), leap of faith(?)

Well Access the Animus posted this photograph that was taken on set in Malta today. Shows a stuntman jumping off a church. I highlighted him in a red circle, because he's super hard to see. Could be a leap of faith perhaps?

http://i59.tinypic.com/xdfgoj.jpg

Offtopic, but looks like a beautiful church, screams Assassin's Creed.

SpiritOfNevaeh
08-30-2015, 07:38 PM
Saw this on Twitter:

Ubisoft confirms that what happens in the Assassin's Creed movie will affect the wider Assassin's Creed universe, including games & comics.

https://twitter.com/VGFGamers/status/638056389332574208

...I honestly don't think thats a good idea. Theres too much stuff going on as it is, but I'll try to stay positive.

ze_topazio
08-30-2015, 07:50 PM
Malta would be a beautiful location for an AC game.

That Baroque style church in XV century Spain though... ;)

Hans684
08-30-2015, 08:40 PM
Saw this on Twitter:

Ubisoft confirms that what happens in the Assassin's Creed movie will affect the wider Assassin's Creed universe, including games & comics.

...I honestly don't think thats a good idea. Theres too much stuff going on as it is, but I'll try to stay positive.

AC has always had a bigger picture story, a story without impact or connections would be worse.

joelsantos24
08-30-2015, 09:44 PM
Saw this on Twitter:

Well, I don't really think is too much of a problem, not necessarily, anyway. I suppose we just have to perceive it as a new installment in the series. It's hard, and unprecedented, I believe, to even think about it that way, but it might be a good thing.

Farlander1991
08-30-2015, 10:35 PM
So, you're saying that the medium change will affect the structure or representation of a story? Inherently? Obviously, each medium carries limitations, functional ou time-constricting, that forces the one telling the story, to be selective towards wish aspects are relevant and which are less relevant, that is, which ones to leave in or out of the main cut. So, is that what we're talking about, the limitations of each medium that force the story to be reshaped?

Well, there's three parts I guess when it comes to medium change that affects the story:
1) Inherent, this is when something's not possible to properly even represent physically in a similar to the source way. Let's say make a dance suite based on AC1 (or a ballet or a musical, what is to your liking).
2) Conventional - each medium has its own conventions in how to tell and represent the story efficiently, and while games and movies are similar in a lot of regards (they both use visuals and sound, for example), conventions still differ.
3) Personal - Now this is more of a wild-card. It's based on personal opinions of the creators what works and what doesn't and how to make it work or be good, defining what's important, etc. That personal touch that reflects your creation, because as soon as the original source leaves its medium (and this can apply even if it stays in the same medium as well) it stops being the original creation and becomes something new, yours. As an example - I think AC1 modern day has very good lore (and I really love the set-up of the Satellite), but that part doesn't really tell a good story in my opinion (and modern day and historical part outside of the ending aren't interconnected in terms of themes and character development), and as movies aren't really lore-exploring mediums, I'd feel it important to change significantly the modern day part to tell a better narrative with a thematic connection to the historical part.

I can use Faramir from LotR as an example, widely different characters leading to diverging events between source and adaptation, that ultimately serve the same purpose. Changes were made because you had to know the lore to understand properly why Faramir in the book wouldn't even touch the Ring at all (this is the inherent problem - it's hard to put that particular kind of lore on screen, and if you retain how Faramir is in the books then it will be a 'wtf' moment for the audience), because as a character Faramir lacks a noticeable arc in the book, and for dramatic purposes Frodo and Sam would need an obstacle at that point in the movie (the conventional and personal reasoning parts). In the end, though, both book Faramir and movie Faramir have an understanding of the Ring, what is it that Frodo has to go through, and does what his brother didn't have the strength to do. And, you know, I for example, like the movie Faramir more than the original one (though, with a caveat that it's Faramir from Extended Edition, theatrical lacks some scenes that I think make him really work, but I'm not sure if that's really important or not), so I don't consider those changes bad.

Btw, mentioning the satellite, AC plays on the 2012 prophecy, in the adaptation the tie to the 'end of the world' date would have to be removed. It would feel strange, AC games, like any art, are products of their times, so even playing them in 2015, it's not jarring to see tie-ins to the end of the world from 2012, which was on mind of all people for the first decade of the 21st century (even though everybody knew this wouldn't happen of course, it was still a cultural phenomenon), because you know those games are released from 2007 to 2012. However, a movie adaptation would be, respectively, a product of its time - 2016 if it were released instead of the AC movie we have. And having that tie-in would feel strange and tacky, because culturally this is not relevant anymore, and 2012 end of the world plotline (and/or the satellite connection to it) would feel... strange.

I understand all that. It's just hard for me to accept the mutation or elimination of certain details in AC1, that I consider almost perennial. Reshaping the AC1's story to make it functional in a movie, would mean an adaptation of the book and game, granted, so considerable parts would have to be kept out. However, eliminating all those little remarkable details that we know so well, would eliminate some of the enjoyment of the entire piece of work, don't you agree? In a reshaped story, with some of those marking details kept, it would raise the level of acceptance of the audience (and here I mean specifically us, the fans): standing on you theatre seat, you'd think "oh, cool, I remember that!" :cool:

I agree that seeing familiar elements might increase enjoyment for those who expect those elements. But also somewhat disagree, as to me an adaptation, regardless of how faithful it is, is a different work and enjoyment doesn't have to come from the enjoyment of the original :)

[/quote]Agreed. But, as I said just above, I still believe some details should be kept, in order to secure that bond with the fraction of the audience that is specially connected with the theme, and series.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm not saying that the only way an AC1 movie can be done is if we change absolutely everything :) However, if the creators of the movie will change absolutely everything, but it will be a great movie with that core what makes AC1 special remaining - then I don't mind. :) There are examples of great adaptations and movies in all the spectre of 'change from the source', as I've already mentioned.

But ultimately, everything is based on personal preferences :D

Nemesis-T
08-31-2015, 09:06 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7e/Jay_and_Silent_Bob.jpg

I'm going to Hollywood to stop shooting of this fu%^ng movie! :D

joelsantos24
08-31-2015, 09:46 AM
I think AC1 modern day has very good lore (and I really love the set-up of the Satellite), but that part doesn't really tell a good story in my opinion (and modern day and historical part outside of the ending aren't interconnected in terms of themes and character development), and as movies aren't really lore-exploring mediums, I'd feel it important to change significantly the modern day part to tell a better narrative with a thematic connection to the historical part.
Yes, obviously, movies are a more immediate medium and cannot waste time on the explanation of intricate folklore. But isn't the present of AC1 used, essentially, as more of a form of introduction, and subsequently, less about developing the mythology? That is, introducing the protagonist (Desmond) to his current predicament: who are these people, what do they want and why am I here? I think AC2 might actually have done more on the explanation and exploration of the mythology.

I can use Faramir from LotR as an example, widely different characters leading to diverging events between source and adaptation, that ultimately serve the same purpose. Changes were made because you had to know the lore to understand properly why Faramir in the book wouldn't even touch the Ring at all (this is the inherent problem - it's hard to put that particular kind of lore on screen, and if you retain how Faramir is in the books then it will be a 'wtf' moment for the audience), because as a character Faramir lacks a noticeable arc in the book, and for dramatic purposes Frodo and Sam would need an obstacle at that point in the movie (the conventional and personal reasoning parts). In the end, though, both book Faramir and movie Faramir have an understanding of the Ring, what is it that Frodo has to go through, and does what his brother didn't have the strength to do. And, you know, I for example, like the movie Faramir more than the original one (though, with a caveat that it's Faramir from Extended Edition, theatrical lacks some scenes that I think make him really work, but I'm not sure if that's really important or not), so I don't consider those changes bad.
I understand. So tell me, if you don't mind, of course, which are the sequences or parts of AC1 that wouldn't fit in a movie adaptation, in your opinion? Leaving the Mayan doomsday clock off that adaptation to begin with, for obvious and agreeable reasons, of course.

Well, I'm not saying that the only way an AC1 movie can be done is if we change absolutely everything :) However, if the creators of the movie will change absolutely everything, but it will be a great movie with that core what makes AC1 special remaining - then I don't mind. :) There are examples of great adaptations and movies in all the spectre of 'change from the source', as I've already mentioned.

But ultimately, everything is based on personal preferences :D
This is precisely the reason why I'm not against the prospect of getting an entirely new story and with (mostly) different characters. Apparently, regarding the characters, we might actually be surprised with the appearance of one or a few canonical characters of the series (https://twitter.com/assassinscreed/status/637300076696739840).

Farlander1991
08-31-2015, 10:52 AM
But isn't the present of AC1 used, essentially, as more of a form of introduction, and subsequently, less about developing the mythology? That is, introducing the protagonist (Desmond) to his current predicament: who are these people, what do they want and why am I here?

Well, all these things you've mentioned ARE the mythology. AC1 doesn't develop it deeply, but it introduces it and forms the mythology in the player's head. But there's not much actually happening in AC1 (more on that below).

I understand. So tell me, if you don't mind, of course, which are the sequences or parts of AC1 that wouldn't fit in a movie adaptation, in your opinion? Leaving the Mayan doomsday clock off that adaptation to begin with, for obvious and agreeable reasons, of course.

Well, I've already mentioned most of them, which you disagreed with which is why we're having this conversation in the first place :D I understand why you would consider those things important, but I'll try to explain in detail why, for the purposes of the movie, it would be better to change them (in my opinion of course):

1. The City/travel structure. This one is fairly straightforward - there's too many travelling back and forth between different cities in AC. This works in the game since, well, we're doing the travelling, but in a movie that would be needlessly confusing. The only city that we'd see repeatedly would be Masyaf. Possibly Jerusalem as well, but only due to technicality - Altair's story could start there as a prologue like in the game (but we don't really explore Jerusalem itself or spend time in it). So one time per city. There's also a question of if there are two many cities? In the game there's four. I personally think three would be a good amount for the movie. Masyaf - Assassin's homebase, Acre and Jerusalem as essentially the main cities of the Crusade that will be different stylistically.

2. Amount of Templar targets should be lowered to 3 max. In the game, each target has very little actual screen-time, however, overall we spend about 40 minutes with each. Learning about them, reasons why they have to die, then seeing the atrocity that they actually do, and then at their death bed looking at all that happened from a different perspective. If you want to have the same effect in the movie, then you have to lessen the amount of targets so that the audience could have the same experience of 'learning something about a person and then learning a twist due to different perspective'. Quality over quantity, so to speak.

3. Malik. In the game, Rafiqs are representation of attitude towards Altair that show Altair's progression as a character and acknowledge the change. Malik is just one of them, however personally damaged by Altair. So while he doesn't have much screen time, due to other Rafiqs the progression of his relation towards Altair doesn't seem jarring (at least to me). However, once again, in the movie three characters would be too much - neither of them would have time to be developed properly. We'd need only one character like that, and that would be Malik - as he's the most important. Now, there's also the question that, with the exception of the beginning and the end, Malik's a passive character - he's sort of a quest giver, one that Altair repeatedly returns to. Like with cities, this doesn't really work well in movies, so, I believe Malik's role has to be expanded to be more active. He doesn't necessarilly have to be a companion, but he needs to play a bigger role - a more active one where he can interact with Altair more often to gradually change his opinion of the person.

4. Modern day. If we describe in short what happens in modern day in AC1 is: Desmond is in prison and lies in the Animus until people that captured him find what they need. It's all extra passive, with lore talks describing what and why is happening around us in the modern day, but nothing is really happening TO us (Assassins trying to save Desmond is a great example: we just hear it as a voice over, it doesn't affect Desmond personally). I don't think that kind of thing is good for a movie. Now, Desmond can still be a prisoner of course, but more needs to happen. And this has also to relate to what is happening the historical part, otherwise it would feel disjointed. The historical part is about a quest of redemption and understanding the Creed. Well, this can actually be perfectly connected to what Desmond might be going through at that moment (though in AC1 proper it isn't really explored). Desmond ran away from his assassin family and doesn't understand, or know, the creed and thinks this is all ********. So he has to have a same thematic quest of redemption of his own. This can manifest in him, I don't know, trying to escape and warn the assassins of something. Bleeding effect could kick in earlier so that we wouldn't have to stay in the animus in the second half of the movie. This is not 'it has to be done that way', but just general idea of what I think has to be done.

I believe those are the main ones. There might be more, but honestly, these four points by themselves lead to a chain reaction of a bunch of things that have to be changed and modified. However, the overall narrative of Altair wronging the brotherhood, redeeming himself and befriending Malik while in search of his nemesis only to realize that the real nemesis was his mentor who uses their philosophy to his own ends just like Altair tried to do before - that all can stay of course, just the way to tell it would be different.

This is precisely the reason why I'm not against the prospect of getting an entirely new story and with (mostly) different characters.

Yeah, I don't mind a new story in AC lore as well.

Locopells
08-31-2015, 11:31 AM
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.692623030838609.1073742064.340276136073302

joelsantos24
08-31-2015, 12:14 PM
Well, all these things you've mentioned ARE the mythology. AC1 doesn't develop it deeply, but it introduces it and forms the mythology in the player's head. But there's not much actually happening in AC1 (more on that below).
Yeah, AC1 introduced it, mostly, and AC2 began it's development.

1. The City/travel structure. This one is fairly straightforward - there's too many travelling back and forth between different cities in AC. This works in the game since, well, we're doing the travelling, but in a movie that would be needlessly confusing. The only city that we'd see repeatedly would be Masyaf. Possibly Jerusalem as well, but only due to technicality - Altair's story could start there as a prologue like in the game (but we don't really explore Jerusalem itself or spend time in it). So one time per city. There's also a question of if there are two many cities? In the game there's four. I personally think three would be a good amount for the movie. Masyaf - Assassin's homebase, Acre and Jerusalem as essentially the main cities of the Crusade that will be different stylistically.
Like I said before, I completely agree with this.

2. Amount of Templar targets should be lowered to 3 max. In the game, each target has very little actual screen-time, however, overall we spend about 40 minutes with each. Learning about them, reasons why they have to die, then seeing the atrocity that they actually do, and then at their death bed looking at all that happened from a different perspective. If you want to have the same effect in the movie, then you have to lessen the amount of targets so that the audience could have the same experience of 'learning something about a person and then learning a twist due to different perspective'. Quality over quantity, so to speak.
As much as I love The Hunt for the Nine, and what they all represent, in regards to the different excesses inherent to human behaviour, I admit it would've to accommodate an adaptation with possibly one target per city. Tied up with what you mentioned above, we could have all three main cities (Jerusalem, Damascus and Acre), plus Masyaf, but mostly intertwined with the assassination missions/targets.

3. Malik. In the game, Rafiqs are representation of attitude towards Altair that show Altair's progression as a character and acknowledge the change. Malik is just one of them, however personally damaged by Altair. So while he doesn't have much screen time, due to other Rafiqs the progression of his relation towards Altair doesn't seem jarring (at least to me). However, once again, in the movie three characters would be too much - neither of them would have time to be developed properly. We'd need only one character like that, and that would be Malik - as he's the most important. Now, there's also the question that, with the exception of the beginning and the end, Malik's a passive character - he's sort of a quest giver, one that Altair repeatedly returns to. Like with cities, this doesn't really work well in movies, so, I believe Malik's role has to be expanded to be more active. He doesn't necessarilly have to be a companion, but he needs to play a bigger role - a more active one where he can interact with Altair more often to gradually change his opinion of the person.
I honestly wouldn't like to see Malik as Altar's companion, at least for most of the story. On the other hand, I totally agree that, as the significant character that he happens to be, he needs far more prominence that he was given in the game.

4. Modern day. If we describe in short what happens in modern day in AC1 is: Desmond is in prison and lies in the Animus until people that captured him find what they need. It's all extra passive, with lore talks describing what and why is happening around us in the modern day, but nothing is really happening TO us (Assassins trying to save Desmond is a great example: we just hear it as a voice over, it doesn't affect Desmond personally). I don't think that kind of thing is good for a movie. Now, Desmond can still be a prisoner of course, but more needs to happen. And this has also to relate to what is happening the historical part, otherwise it would feel disjointed. The historical part is about a quest of redemption and understanding the Creed. Well, this can actually be perfectly connected to what Desmond might be going through at that moment (though in AC1 proper it isn't really explored). Desmond ran away from his assassin family and doesn't understand, or know, the creed and thinks this is all ********. So he has to have a same thematic quest of redemption of his own. This can manifest in him, I don't know, trying to escape and warn the assassins of something. Bleeding effect could kick in earlier so that we wouldn't have to stay in the animus in the second half of the movie. This is not 'it has to be done that way', but just general idea of what I think has to be done.
Obviously, the present day sequences were incredibly bleak, and extremely passive. That being said, the present day sequences served the main purpose of essentially introducing the protagonist to the matter at hand, and what we perceive know as the corresponding mythology. I wouldn't say the movie should display a present-past sequences' ratio of 1, that is, equivalent screen time between the present and historical sequences, but it would've to be significantly more relevant.

EmptyCrustacean
08-31-2015, 12:15 PM
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.692623030838609.1073742064.340276136073302

Awesome. I can't wait to see more set pics. Looks like they're going to incorporate parkour into the movie which is an absolute must.

NondairyGold
08-31-2015, 12:24 PM

Just to be clear, are these considered leaks or not? Just say I had a camera with a long lens and I was in the building across the road at Ubisoft Montreal and started to take photo's of the guy's/girls at work there while they were working away and then posted them here would I be banned for leaking copyrighted material?? This is a genuine question by the way, or is it just game leaks that we can't post?

Locopells
08-31-2015, 12:53 PM
It depends how they're obtained. In this instance, they're filming quite openly on the streets. If you had to sneak onto a set - or were peering through the window of a private building, then that would be another matter...

NondairyGold
08-31-2015, 01:09 PM
It depends how they're obtained. In this instance, they're filming quite openly on the streets. If you had to sneak onto a set - or were peering through the window of a private building, then that would be another matter...

Thank you for clearing that up :)

Farlander1991
08-31-2015, 02:00 PM
As much as I love The Hunt for the Nine, and what they all represent, in regards to the different excesses inherent to human behaviour, I admit it would've to accommodate an adaptation with possibly one target per city. Tied up with what you mentioned above, we could have all three main cities (Jerusalem, Damascus and Acre), plus Masyaf, but mostly intertwined with the assassination missions/targets.

Now imagine what would have to be done to adapt the stories of AC2 and AC3 into movies of 2-3 hours :rolleyes: :D

joelsantos24
08-31-2015, 03:24 PM
Now imagine what would have to be done to adapt the stories of AC2 and AC3 into movies of 2-3 hours :rolleyes: :D
It would be troublesome, admittedly. But in this case, with one target in Jerusalem, another in Acre and a third one in Damascus, it would be more balanced.

SixKeys
09-01-2015, 12:42 PM
Just wanted to say I'm loving Farlander's posts and 110% agree with them. Especially with regards to Desmond needing a proper arc of his own in modern day, if they were to adapt AC1. In-game his role is sufficient as he's just a player avatar, the "straight man" whose purpose is to absorb all the exposition. But in a movie it would feel incredibly pointless to have him there at all unless he was going to undergo a personal journey that's reflective of his experiences in the Animus. For example the escape from Abstergo would need to happen at the end (instead of at the beginning of the second part like in AC2), and it would need to be Desmond's own plan instead of Lucy's. That would be a sign of his having resolved to take control of his own life and use the skills he learned from his ancestor. If the sequels decided to go with the "Lucy is a traitor" plotline, it would also make more sense if it was Desmond's idea to break out and Lucy was half-heartedly dragged along.

Locopells
09-03-2015, 01:05 PM
Denis Menochet has joined the cast of the Assassin's Creed Movie.

https://www.facebook.com/AccessTheAnimus/posts/693539440746968/?type=1

Also:

https://www.facebook.com/AccessTheAnimus/posts/693660807401498/

And this:

http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/arts/film/56748/academy_award_nominee_michael_fassbender_in_malta_ for_assassins_creed_filming#.Veg2ZvT38s3

strigoi1958
09-03-2015, 01:11 PM
Thanks for posting these gems Locopells... in one of the pictures on the 2nd FB link is a van that has "Saracino's" written on the side... such a shame.... it would have been more apt if it had been "Assassino's" ;)

assassinrider20
09-05-2015, 02:04 AM
If this movie goes well, maybe they can do more Assassin's Creed movies.

In the games, they've done....
- Israel
- Italy
- Colonial War
- France
- China
- India
- Russia
- England

In the first movie, they're doing Spain. Wonder if they can do....
- Japan
- Brazil
- Egypt
- Viking Age

ze_topazio
09-05-2015, 03:08 AM
All of those would be wasted, they are great settings for games, but then, so is Spain and they used for a movie, of course that doesn't mean they can't make games for those setting too.

Shahkulu101
09-05-2015, 03:39 AM
Just thinking, if they ever want to tackle either of the WW's, a movie would be ideal.

Senningiri_GR
09-05-2015, 02:17 PM
I think that he looks a lot like the Novice Assassins from Assassin's Creed Brotherhood: http://i.imgur.com/MeIKbYd.jpg

SixKeys
09-05-2015, 10:44 PM
IMO the outfit looks more like Ezio's Revelations outfit than anything else.

VestigialLlama4
09-05-2015, 11:21 PM
IMO the outfit looks more like Ezio's Revelations outfit than anything else.

True. Its supposed to be Spain in the 1400s and from the looks I am guessing Moorish Spain. This is probably Granada which was the last Moorish kingdom to be conquered. That's also where Alhambra is located.

ze_topazio
09-05-2015, 11:34 PM
The guy in this pic clearly looks like a Moorish soldier I think.

https://scontent-mad1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11902419_692923764141869_701413097689103401_n.jpg? oh=c0f9bcb9c1ec57652f2a9bea00ee7558&oe=566AA49C

ze_topazio
09-07-2015, 11:38 PM
Some new pics, courtesy of this person, read his thread to know what's going on.

https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/3jq6ar/the_assassins_creed_movie_is_about_to_start/

https://scontent-mxp1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11960254_10153551369485185_6288663324983210301_n.j pg?oh=5292831e412f3a7a4be4b9f593a39de1&oe=56AA6B6B

https://scontent-mxp1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11960062_10153553402685185_8615962082421902313_n.j pg?oh=03e7affbb3f1f93df22a7a77803017f3&oe=567B9FCE

http://i.imgur.com/f0NxQm2.jpg

Locopells
09-07-2015, 11:50 PM
According to Trama Films, Hovik Keuchkerian will star in the Assassin's Creed Movie!

SixKeys
09-08-2015, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the photos, Ze. I spot a haycart. :D

strigoi1958
09-08-2015, 12:25 AM

The boxer ?

As for the pictures that you and Ze have posted, I must say... whoever chose the location did a good job ;)

ze_topazio
09-08-2015, 10:34 AM
A couple more pics

https://www.facebook.com/AccessTheAnimus/timeline

https://scontent-mrs1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/11990432_695467503887495_8426592402547729748_n.jpg ?oh=78085d8166133783d195af6c965d74dc&oe=566B6DCC

https://scontent-mrs1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xlp1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/11951215_695462513887994_7840816809585264988_n.jpg ?oh=f88b7f42a67939c1b32eeb90a3c6c1b5&oe=56A5DE07

https://scontent-mrs1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/11988558_695462523887993_3616505967450070411_n.jpg ?oh=a7192b3e4ba8b24299103da2a43f4360&oe=5678D6ED

https://scontent-mrs1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11935021_695462487221330_243918026449532701_n.jpg? oh=858485bcd16c02eeed65a0e86b480ac5&oe=565D5CC3

https://scontent-mrs1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11996907_695462453888000_297741729877294618_n.jpg? oh=fad3570727de11b2f277088778cbf0ee&oe=56A50F5C

https://scontent-mrs1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/1970525_695462450554667_6350876207192063661_n.jpg? oh=856c3aa8e5393f0b6203563a2233718c&oe=565D2EA8

https://scontent-mrs1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/11709551_695462440554668_7184316756735052999_n.jpg ?oh=b221a36b3504a7cd9a72b2d1994affaa&oe=5679CE84

Locopells
09-08-2015, 11:28 AM
https://www.facebook.com/AccessTheAnimus/timeline/story?ut=43&wstart=0&wend=1443682799&hash=-6954468003437493349&pagefilter=3

Alphacos007
09-08-2015, 11:36 AM
Looking very good, can't wait for a trailer :D

Farlander1991
09-08-2015, 12:06 PM
Wonder if somebody will forget to remove a plastic bottle from a set prop and it will make into the movie :D

Alphacos007
09-08-2015, 12:18 PM
Hehe, the other day I was watching some movie about the Romans and in the background you could see a Legionaire drinking water from a plastic bottle, I laughed way more than I should have. I hope something like that happens :p

Locopells
09-09-2015, 02:43 PM
Then there was this one from Downton Abbey, which got a ridiculous amount of press coverage...

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03006/downton_split_3006369b.jpg

New set photos

https://www.facebook.com/AccessTheAnimus/timeline/story?ut=43&wstart=0&wend=1443682799&hash=5828746999127458270&pagefilter=3

strigoi1958
09-09-2015, 03:05 PM
thanks locopells it is starting to look great.... I like the way the Templar shield looks used already.... I wouldn't mind having a prop from that film hanging on my wall.... anyone got flight timetables to Malta ? ;)

HDinHB
09-09-2015, 08:50 PM
You don't have to go to Malta, just save this link and wait a few years. http://www.propstore.com/products/?keyword=sword

Although going to Malta doesn't seem like a bad idea either. I could mill about in the background...

strigoi1958
09-10-2015, 08:45 AM
Ouch those prices... but a good find... I bookmarked that... still cheaper to fly to Malta and "borrow" a shield forever ;) TBH AC fans should be asked to be extras....

HDinHB
09-10-2015, 06:05 PM
Well, if you do go to Malta, pick up a few extras and PM me :cool:

ze_topazio
09-11-2015, 12:31 PM
https://scontent-mrs1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/12011130_696915773742668_7635274167972968293_n.jpg ?oh=292d06b276c45f559bf1c5c96595c2cf&oe=56615475

Alphacos007
09-11-2015, 12:50 PM
Nice catch right there, I hadn't noticed it!

Sushiglutton
09-11-2015, 03:08 PM
They seem to go for very assassiny shots, me like.

Locopells
09-11-2015, 04:46 PM
Updated:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.692623030838609.1073742064.340276136073302&type=3

Alphacos007
09-11-2015, 05:12 PM
http://media.giphy.com/media/DM9n9fNry8tq0/giphy-downsized-large.gif

ze_topazio
09-11-2015, 05:42 PM
The people taking all those photos.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/gallery/popcorn-gifs/bundy.gif

HDinHB
09-11-2015, 06:54 PM
Can I get a "Whooooooa Bundy!"?
http://i.imgur.com/S7XGr.gif
(PS: Thanks for changing your sig, the Cesare's rolling head made me seasick.)

More cool pics. I wish the movie was coming out next month.

Is part of the movie set in Malta, or is Malta just filling in for Spain? Either way, I'm thinking the next game should be set in Malta.

Ureh
09-11-2015, 08:10 PM
Thanks for posting the pics.

Malta. It's definitely a wonderful setting for the first AC movie. So far the sneak peeks they're giving us go above and beyond what I was expecting.

ze_topazio
09-12-2015, 01:36 AM
(PS: Thanks for changing your sig, the Cesare's rolling head made me seasick.)

Is part of the movie set in Malta, or is Malta just filling in for Spain? Either way, I'm thinking the next game should be set in Malta.

Glad to please.

Malta is just filling.

WendysBrioche
09-13-2015, 12:44 AM
Gross

ze_topazio
09-16-2015, 12:25 PM
Some new pics

https://scontent-mad1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t31.0-8/12031371_698992220201690_3274736258379897521_o.jpg

https://scontent-mad1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtl1/t31.0-8/11708020_698992216868357_8841388262484489571_o.jpg

Also there's rumors this fort will be used as a setting in the movie.

https://scontent-mad1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11990376_697811146986464_5427725837845919082_n.jpg ?oh=0134186190cb2f7069f070b9938992a6&oe=56A184FA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Manoel

Coincidently the construction of this fort was financed by a man who in AC Rogue letters is revealed to be a Templar.

Ureh
09-16-2015, 06:53 PM
The dots are being connected! What other secrets are lurking in the shadows!? :O

strigoi1958
09-17-2015, 03:03 AM
thanks Ze... I appreciate you finding and posting these.

I wonder if they'll use effects to make the fort look complete or maybe just film parts undamaged ?

SixKeys
09-17-2015, 03:43 AM
I'm honestly surprised people are able to snap so many pictures from the set without some security guy coming to harass them. Granted, they're not really spoilers, but still.

VestigialLlama4
09-17-2015, 04:34 AM
I'm honestly surprised people are able to snap so many pictures from the set without some security guy coming to harass them. Granted, they're not really spoilers, but still.

Cameras on phones are so small these days that there's not a lot anyone can do. Barring you know shoot in a police state like North Korea where you will have that perfect platonic leak-free security.

Besides marketers aren't against this, it's free publicity, fans are doing their job for them. We are not exactly seeing any spoilers, we know its set in 1400s Spain.

HDinHB
09-18-2015, 04:55 AM
I've been hearing lots of ads for the Steve Jobs movie, and it's making me more hyped for Assassin's Creed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEr6K1bwIVs

ze_topazio
09-19-2015, 09:15 PM
A new pic, it seems like some action is happening in Fort Manoel.

https://scontent-mrs1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/11145134_700257290075183_8368537900268224061_n.jpg ?oh=8b9b81e4e161536cbf003945387219aa&oe=566B7B66

EmptyCrustacean
09-20-2015, 02:54 PM
My blog post on the news for anyone interested: https://cartoonsarebetterthanreallife.wordpress.com/2015/09/20/assassins-creed-revelations/

sckyless
09-21-2015, 03:54 AM
It's not entirely surprising that Ubisoft's Hollywood partners didn't want to make a film about a Syrian terrorist and a character that tens of millions of people already know is dead.

HDinHB
09-21-2015, 04:16 AM

I thought that sounded familiar.

strigoi1958
09-21-2015, 11:15 AM
My blog post on the news for anyone interested: https://cartoonsarebetterthanreallife.wordpress.com/2015/09/20/assassins-creed-revelations/

Like all the things you write, (including your lyrics) it is sincere and well thought out.... although I do dislike the term "casual gamers". I'd be interested to find out what classifies someone as a casual gamer.

EmptyCrustacean
09-21-2015, 04:43 PM
Like all the things you write, (including your lyrics) it is sincere and well thought out.... although I do dislike the term "casual gamers". I'd be interested to find out what classifies someone as a casual gamer.

re BIB: Quoi? lol please explain.

I don't recall using 'casual gamer', I probably meant 'casual fan'. Basically, the masses and not the hardcore AC fans who have been with the franchise from day 1 and appreciate the lore.

strigoi1958
09-22-2015, 02:56 AM
Am I confused or are you a certain talented singer/songwriter/instrumentalist I believe I heard on reverbnation ? and yes a second reading confirms you did state fans not gamers my bad :o

Rohjasdex
09-24-2015, 02:14 AM
Looks better then I though it would look will reserved Judgement till actually seeing the movie however.

Locopells
09-27-2015, 03:08 PM
https://www.facebook.com/AccessTheAnimus/posts/703314626436116

SixKeys
09-27-2015, 07:57 PM
The guy can't have had a big part if he's already finished filming.

strigoi1958
09-27-2015, 09:12 PM
I don't recognise his name but maybe all his parts were filmed consecutively

HDinHB
09-30-2015, 12:10 AM
http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/09/29/assassin-s-creed-the-movie-filming-photos-leaked-3566773?lt_source=external,manual

The rest of the pictures we've already seen, but there's something about this:
http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/images/c_fill,h_445,w_640/t_mp_quality/wek2syv9tyhmk7eqkare/assassin-s-creed-the-movie-filming-photos-leaked-635334.jpg

They don't credit the source, but I don't suppose it's official either.

Alphacos007
09-30-2015, 02:25 AM
This picture has been circulating on the internet literally for years now, so it's probably a huge well-made fake.

HDinHB
09-30-2015, 02:48 AM
I figured it was fan art or something, but I haven't seen it. Makes me hope good things for MD in the movie (even though it's not related).

HDinHB
10-02-2015, 07:58 PM
If true, this is ridiculously good news.

http://deadline.com/2015/10/jeremy-irons-brendan-gleeson-join-assassins-creed-1201564455/

EXCLUSIVE: Jeremy Irons and Brendan Gleeson are joining the cast of Assassins Creed starring opposite Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard for director Justin Kurzel, New Regency and UbiSoft Motion Pictures; Fox is distributing. The live-action film is an adaptation of the wildly popular Ubisoft video game. Irons plays Cotillards father. Gleeson plays Fassbenders father. This is one heck of a lineup as the production companies are very smartly reaching beyond the already established Assassins Creed brand and have put together a high-quality cast.

And, for a future Assassin's Creed trivia quiz tie-in question, Irons played Rodrigo Borgia in Showtime's The Borgias.

http://i1.wp.com/pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/irons_gleeson_fotor.jpg?crop=0px%2C38px%2C1761px%2 C1180px&resize=446%2C299

SixKeys
10-02-2015, 09:21 PM
Jeremy Irons has a very hit-and-miss resum. He's been in many great movies but also some real stinkers like Dungeons & Dragons and Eragon. His acting seems to reflect how he feels about the material. If he thinks the script is crap, he won't bother with a good performance either.

VestigialLlama4
10-02-2015, 09:26 PM
Jeremy Irons has a very hit-and-miss resum. He's been in many great movies but also some real stinkers like Dungeons & Dragons and Eragon. His acting seems to reflect how he feels about the material. If he thinks the script is crap, he won't bother with a good performance either.

All fancy actors tend to feel that way. Read up Alec Gu-ness on Star Wars. [NOTE: Apparently the actor who played Obi Wan Kenobi is some swear-word on this forum filter :confused:]

Jeremy Irons is a great actor. Moonlighting, Reversal of Fortune, Inland Empire to name a few.

HDinHB
10-02-2015, 09:57 PM
All fancy actors tend to feel that way. Read up Alec Gu-ness on Star Wars. [NOTE: Apparently the actor who played Obi Wan Kenobi is some swear-word on this forum filter :confused:]

Jeremy Irons is a great actor. Moonlighting, Reversal of Fortune, Inland Empire to name a few.

Interesting. I know that the first word in guinea pig is/was considered a slur against Italians, so maybe it's trying to capture that. Let's see if spelling it Alec ******ss helps any.

ed: In that case I'm very confused. I guess the filter doesn't like stout?

Farlander1991
10-02-2015, 10:32 PM
His acting seems to reflect how he feels about the material. If he thinks the script is crap, he won't bother with a good performance either.

Yeah, but when the material is crap it's also when he just says '**** it' and has the time of his life as he just does whatever the **** he wants and has fun :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV3roWM0DSs

SpiritOfNevaeh
10-02-2015, 11:58 PM
OMG Jeremy Iron. a.k.a.the voice of Scar from The Lion King <3

Locopells
10-03-2015, 12:25 AM
Other news on the wind, Malta filming has finished, they're now moving onto shooting the rest in London and Spain.

HDinHB
10-03-2015, 12:38 AM
OMG Jeremy Iron. a.k.a.the voice of Scar from The Lion King <3

Oh yeah, good one.

Some Jeremy Irons quotes:

[on portraying Rodrigo Borgia] I don't want to make him a sympathetic man. I want him to be an inconsistent man, a man where one moment you think 'Christ, that's terrible!' and some moments you think 'Oh, he's wonderful!' Like all of us, I want to try and create someone that is neither black nor white.

(When asked by an interviewer about why he accepted his role in Dungeons & Dragons (2000)) "Are you kidding? I'd just bought a castle, I had to pay for it somehow!"

Other news on the wind, Malta filming has finished, they're now moving onto shooting the rest in London and Spain.
They do move fast. Maybe we'll get some lovely pictures of Spain. I guess London will be indoor sound stage work.

Locopells
10-03-2015, 12:46 AM
(When asked by an interviewer about why he accepted his role in Dungeons & Dragons (2000)) "Are you kidding? I'd just bought a castle, I had to pay for it somehow!"

Hah!

They do move fast. Maybe we'll get some lovely pictures of Spain. I guess London will be indoor sound stage work.

Probably Leavesden or Pinewood, I guess.

I-Like-Pie45
10-03-2015, 01:37 AM
he's just in this one for the money i hope you realize this, just like why everyone wants to join marvel movie casts now

AnExplodingDodo
10-03-2015, 02:09 AM
Hah!

Probably Leavesden or Pinewood, I guess.

Pinewood. I know people working on it. They've held the hidden blade and stuff. Pretty cool actually

HDinHB
10-03-2015, 02:36 AM
Pinewood. I know people working on it. They've held the hidden blade and stuff. Pretty cool actually

We'll need pictures, secretly recorded videos, and backstage passes.

Please.

VestigialLlama4
10-03-2015, 04:33 AM
Yeah, but when the material is crap it's also when he just says '**** it' and has the time of his life as he just does whatever the **** he wants and has fun :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV3roWM0DSs

Look honestly I don't see how that line can be done with a straight face. Though Irons breaking out in a smile at the end ruins it. Give actor crap material and there's not a lot he can do with it.

Ralph Fiennes when he played Voldemort in the HP movies said that initially he thought he would play him in a subtle way but then he gave up and went over the top, "There's no other way to play this guy."

Locopells
10-03-2015, 11:11 AM

Oooh...

strigoi1958
10-03-2015, 03:36 PM
@ AnExplodingDodo don't forget we're your best friends and will happily escort you to pinewood ;)

Sushiglutton
10-03-2015, 10:06 PM
And, for a future Assassin's Creed trivia quiz tie-in question, Irons played Rodrigo Borgia in Showtime's The Borgias.

http://i1.wp.com/pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/irons_gleeson_fotor.jpg?crop=0px%2C38px%2C1761px%2 C1180px&resize=446%2C299

Sweet, two historical drama experts :D! This movie is getting more exciting all the time. May be the best AC product in years.

Hans684
10-03-2015, 10:26 PM
Sweet, two historical drama experts :D! This movie is getting more exciting all the time. May be the best AC product in years.

More exciting than anything Syndicate has to offer.

Ziiimmie
10-06-2015, 01:03 PM
the story on this sounds better then most AC games lately released

EmptyCrustacean
10-06-2015, 01:51 PM
the story on this sounds better then most AC games lately released

It sounds exactly the same...

HDinHB
10-09-2015, 11:57 PM
Rejoice lovers of Modern Day...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/assassins-creed-movie-modeled-after-batman-begins-/1100-6431312/

In addition, he said the film's story will be just about evenly split between the past and the present. By comparison, the Assassin's Creed games focused more on the past.

Barronet also acknowledged that adapting Assassin's Creed for the big-screen was no easy task, in part because it has two heroes, Callum and Aguilar, each of which are played by Fassbender.

"Assassin's was complicated to develop, because you're working with two time periods, one contemporary and one historical," he said. "With two heroes, as you have Callum, the modern-day hero, and his ancestor Aguilar, who have two parallel stories which meet up. Generally in a film, you only have one hero. And with the link between the past and the present, you can't have one of the stories taking precedence over the other. So structurally, it's very complicated."

Barronet also revealed the estimated extent of Ubisoft's financial investment in the Assassin's Creed movie, revealing the film's budget is between $150-$200 million. To make the movie a financial success, he said he's hoping it appeals to basically everyone who likes movies.

"Our big gamble is that it works for three audiences," Barronet said. "Fans of our games, which there are some 95 million of; fans of mainstream cinema who are going to see Star Wars and Spider-Man; and in parallel, we're also aiming it people who would never think of going to see an Assassin's film, people who like independent films."

ACZanius
10-10-2015, 12:48 AM
Rejoice lovers of Modern Day...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/assassins-creed-movie-modeled-after-batman-begins-/1100-6431312/

You have no idea how happy that information makes me, oh man sounds eeeeeeeeeepiiiiiiccccccccccccccccc!!!!!!!

Do you think there will be connection between the movie and the games? Possibly even seeing Calum Lynch in a game? Man at least we are kicking off with something big regarding modern day

ze_topazio
10-10-2015, 12:57 AM
Each game sells on average 10 million copies, yet that guy think there's 95 million AC fans out there? why aren't the remaining 85 million fans buying the games every year? unless that was a typo and they meant 9.5.

You have no idea how happy that information makes me, oh man sounds eeeeeeeeeepiiiiiiccccccccccccccccc!!!!!!!

Do you think there will be connection between the movie and the games? Possibly even seeing Calum Lynch in a game? Man at least we are kicking off with something big regarding modern day

Doubt it, they would have to hire Fassbender and this big stars don't work for cheap, but then we have been seeing more and more Hollywood stars working on games so who knows, maybe for one game, I can't see him having time to work on this every year.

Or they could give the role to a different voice actor.

Assassin_M
10-10-2015, 01:02 AM
Each game sells on average 10 million copies, yet that guy think there's 95 million AC fans out there? why aren't the remaining 85 million fans buying the games every year? unless that was a typo and they meant 9.5.
No, each game sold about 10 million copies, give or take. And we have 8 main games, so that makes 80 million. If you count all the handheld games, it'll be 15 million, so that's 95 million fans. Someone was snoozing during Math Class tsk tsk.

I-Like-Pie45
10-10-2015, 01:08 AM

Doubt it, they would have to hire Fassbender and this big stars don't work for cheap, but then we have been seeing more and more Hollywood stars working on games so who knows, maybe for one game, I can't see him having time to work on this every year.

Kiefer sunderland was very engaging in all ten of his lines of dialogue in mgs5 the phantom pain

HDinHB
10-10-2015, 01:46 AM
No, each game sold about 10 million copies, give or take. And we have 8 main games, so that makes 80 million. If you count all the handheld games, it'll be 15 million, so that's 95 million fans. Someone was snoozing during Math Class tsk tsk.

Hehe, I think that's the way they got to that number. Maybe they figure if people will buy more than one game, they will buy an equal number of movie tickets?

The article I linked was the second one I found--the first one was snippets of poorly-translated English, so I thought it might be a typo or translation error. I tracked down what I believe is the original article, in French (real French, not Unity French), and it has the same number:

http://www.premiere.fr/Cinema/News-Cinema/Ubisoft-Motion-Pictures-Assassin-s-Creed-a-ete-un-developpement-complique-4272113

Notre grand pari, cest quon travaille sur trois audiences : les fans de nos jeux, et il y en a quand mme 95 millions ; les fans de cinma mainstream qui vont voir Star Wars et Spider-Man ; et en parallle on vise aussi une population qui ne penserait pas du tout aujourdhui aller voir un film Assassin, qui aime les films indpendants.
and he even repeats it later:

We must respect the 95 million people who play our games.
Maybe in French the decimal is silent?

It's a reasonably long article, with lots of info. Well worth reading, in French if you can, but even translated.

...there is an important message: freedom versus control. How far are we willing to fight to defend the independence and freedom? And if in the end, there was a way to create less violence and problems, what they would be willing to give up our freedom? These are real current messages.

ACZanius
10-10-2015, 01:50 AM

Zebrah, of course we don't know this yet but what do you think are the chances that in the movie we will see Juno actually starting to "take over" the world? Or You think Syndicate will make any huge steps towards that finally?

ze_topazio
10-10-2015, 01:03 PM

Corporate logic is too advanced for me mate, I was terrible at mathematics back in school though.

Kiefer sunderland was very engaging in all ten of his lines of dialogue in mgs5 the phantom pain

So I heard, his one and half lines in Ground Zeroes were already very thrilling.

Bring back David Hayter.

Hehe, I think that's the way they got to that number. Maybe they figure if people will buy more than one game, they will buy an equal number of movie tickets?

Personally I don't have plans to watch this movie 10 times.

Zebrah, of course we don't know this yet but what do you think are the chances that in the movie we will see Juno actually starting to "take over" the world? Or You think Syndicate will make any huge steps towards that finally?

We can only guess.

And new pic.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/12096591_706689632765282_1032566073993125102_n.jpg ?oh=65d39fd81f2330ba1e5a6a7a4bae1776&oe=569AA968

Farlander1991
10-10-2015, 01:08 PM

This calculation presumes that every purchase is from a unique buyer, though. What if 1 person bought all 8 gamaes? That's not 8 fans, that's one ;) And that's just the hardcore fans. So I guess the more correct number would be around 40 million fans? If we presume that the average of bought games per person is 4.

VestigialLlama4
10-10-2015, 01:26 PM
This calculation presumes that every purchase is from a unique buyer, though. What if 1 person bought all 8 gamaes? That's not 8 fans, that's one ;) And that's just the hardcore fans. So I guess the more correct number would be around 40 million fans? If we presume that the average of bought games per person is 4.

40 million is wow...4 times the population of Greece.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/12096591_706689632765282_1032566073993125102_n.jpg ?oh=65d39fd81f2330ba1e5a6a7a4bae1776&oe=569AA968

I had doubts whether the AC movie would or would not be disaster, seeing this picture with Fassbender in costume, my doubts are resolved...it's absolutely clear that this movie will be a disaster.

That outfit is ugly, unnecessary, inelegant and reflects poor imagination.

I-Like-Pie45
10-10-2015, 10:06 PM
So I heard, his one and half lines in Ground Zeroes were already very thrilling.

Bring back David Hayter.

david hayter can't do facial capture ;)

SpiritOfNevaeh
10-11-2015, 09:46 PM
https://twitter.com/VGFGamers/status/653306811223801856

Assassin's Creed movie is modeled after Batman Begins, Blade Runner. Plus, Ubisoft reveals the movie's budget is as much as $200 million.

JESUS!

GunnerGalactico
10-11-2015, 10:07 PM
https://twitter.com/VGFGamers/status/653306811223801856

Assassin's Creed movie is modeled after Batman Begins, Blade Runner. Plus, Ubisoft reveals the movie's budget is as much as $200 million.

JESUS!

If the movie takes some inspiration from Batman Begins, it might definitely be awesome. :cool:

EmptyCrustacean
10-12-2015, 01:00 AM
If the movie takes some inspiration from Batman Begins, it might definitely be awesome. :cool:

Batman Begins is fantastic movie and the best superhero origin movie ever imo. This is very, very good news.

VestigialLlama4
10-12-2015, 02:39 AM

I disagree. Assassins are not superheroes or Batman. And in any case, Batman Begins isn't an especially good movie either. None of those movies would have amounted to anything if The Dark Knight didn't have Heath Ledger as Joker.

ACZanius
10-12-2015, 03:28 AM
I disagree. Assassins are not superheroes or Batman. And in any case, Batman Begins isn't an especially good movie either. None of those movies would have amounted to anything if The Dark Knight didn't have Heath Ledger as Joker.

I agree Assassins are not superheroes nor Batman, and all 3 movies were great but one that was masterpiece of 3 was The Dark Knight, which agreed, heath ledger was a major +pro in the movie.

SixKeys
10-12-2015, 03:57 AM
The Dark Knight is so overrated.

VestigialLlama4
10-12-2015, 04:25 AM
The Dark Knight is so overrated.

It is but it's still better than the other two and it's because of Heath Ledger's performance mainly.

Batman in the movies never works because that mask prevents us from getting into that character so it's always up to the villains to make the movie interesting. The Arkham games managed to get into that better because animation doesn't have that distinction between actual human faces and masks covering most of it.

SixKeys
10-12-2015, 04:41 AM
Nope. Batman Begins was better and Heath Ledger as the Joker never did anything for me.

I-Like-Pie45
10-12-2015, 04:59 AM
you're only saying that cause he's dead and you feel that devaluing his performance makes you hipper and edgier

GunnerGalactico
10-12-2015, 08:21 AM

I agree Assassins are not superheroes nor Batman, and all 3 movies were great but one that was masterpiece of 3 was The Dark Knight, which agreed, heath ledger was a major +pro in the movie.

Good grief! Who's talking about Assassins being made into superheroes here? :rolleyes: I sincerely enjoyed Batman Begins as an origin story, I liked how it explained how Bruce Wayne came to be known as the "Dark Knight". I actually meant if they used the same inspiration and principle to explain how Fassbender's character becomes an Assassin, then I'm hopeful about the movie.

Oh, I also think that Batman Begins is a great movie and the only one that I enjoyed out of the Dark Knight trilogy. Period.

LoneSyndicate
10-12-2015, 12:09 PM
Link. (https://www.yahoo.com/movies/assassins-creed-first-look-heres-michael-127715456582.html)

Posting the picture from the article here directly:

I could've sworn they started filming back in september.

btw what do you guys think of the film being directed by the director of Macbeth?

LoneSyndicate
10-12-2015, 12:21 PM
40 million is wow...4 times the population of Greece.

I had doubts whether the AC movie would or would not be disaster, seeing this picture with Fassbender in costume, my doubts are resolved...it's absolutely clear that this movie will be a disaster.

That outfit is ugly, unnecessary, inelegant and reflects poor imagination.

I disagree, it follows 15th century Spanish fashion IMO. It seems like something an assassin of the time would wear. and we all know in films costumes dont end up looking the same in the finished product, it still might go through digital enhancements and stuff. Lets give it a chance hahaha

Sushiglutton
10-12-2015, 01:29 PM
This movie sounds more and more exciting every time I hear of it :D! $200 million, wow! The cast is stunning!

And I for one loved all the Nolan Batman movies + Blade Runner!

Fingers crossed this movie won't diaspoint!

VestigialLlama4
10-12-2015, 03:24 PM
I disagree, it follows 15th century Spanish fashion IMO.

Which 1400's Spanish fashion? Just asking.

To me I am against the costume on basic principle because it looks too much like how the Assassins dress in the game. To me all the hooded outfits worn by the Assassins were a gaming convenience, a result of the Animus' render as a video game, I always felt that a true AC movie would render it like a film so we'd have an Assassin who behaves realistically i.e. multiple costumes and identities, wearing peasant or servant clothing to blend in and so on.

cawatrooper9
10-12-2015, 03:32 PM
To me I am against the costume on basic principle because it looks too much like how the Assassins dress in the game. To me all the hooded outfits worn by the Assassins were a gaming convenience, a result of the Animus' render as a video game, I always felt that a true AC movie would render it like a film so we'd have an Assassin who behaves realistically i.e. multiple costumes and identities, wearing peasant or servant clothing to blend in and so on.
I do understand why you think that (as it is how a logical human would behave), but that would be a risky move by the studio, not to mention that it would be removing one of the game's most iconic aspects. If the Mario Brother's movie taught us anything, it's that icons in videogame movies should not be abandoned for attempts at realism.

SixKeys
10-12-2015, 03:35 PM
Which 1400's Spanish fashion? Just asking.

That could still happen, you know. The assassins do have a "uniform" that's iconic to the brand, but that doesn't exclude the possibility of disguises. Just look at Aveline.

ze_topazio
10-12-2015, 03:42 PM
I don't think I'll ever understand the problem you people have with the hoods, climbing ridiculous tall buildings? fine, jumping from several meters high into a haystack? fine, hidden blades that work god knows how? fine, carrying an arsenal of weapons in broad daylight? fine, wearing hoods? OMG WHAT AN UNREALISTIC THING, really? the hoods are among the most realistic things in the series yet that's the thing people find more outrageous.

VestigialLlama4
10-12-2015, 04:38 PM
I do understand why you think that (as it is how a logical human would behave), but that would be a risky move by the studio, not to mention that it would be removing one of the game's most iconic aspects. If the Mario Brother's movie taught us anything, it's that icons in videogame movies should not be abandoned for attempts at realism.

I don't think Super Mario Bros the Movie is a reference to anything, and even there Mario and Luigi dressed in Red and Green there because they still needed to be Mario or Luigi...anyway that's obviously a terrible mistake on the part of everyone.

That could still happen, you know. The assassins do have a "uniform" that's iconic to the brand, but that doesn't exclude the possibility of disguises. Just look at Aveline.

Perhaps. When I play AC, I always try to get an outfit that blends in best into that area and time. This wasn't a problem on AC1 but in AC2 I tried to put in dyes that looked more period and better fit the areas. Same with Rome. Revelations was the exception because I thought Ezio's gray scholar outfit worked very well. AC3 unfortunately didn't give Connor a range of alternative outfits to choose from and the uniform was decent. For Black Flag though I preferred the alternative outfits, even Shark Hunter sleeveless west to the main AC outfit (which I think is super ugly aesthetically and functionally). For Unity, I liked Arno's default outfit but wish I could toggle hood on-off.

I don't think I'll ever understand the problem you people have with the hoods, climbing ridiculous tall buildings? fine, jumping from several meters high into a haystack? fine, hidden blades that work god knows how? fine, carrying an arsenal of weapons in broad daylight? fine, wearing hoods? OMG WHAT AN UNREALISTIC THING, really? the hoods are among the most realistic things in the series yet that's the thing people find more outrageous.

I just don't see how in any period or time you can blend into any crowd wearing an outfit like that. The movie during the end of the Reconquista and deals with the Inquisition so the outfit seems vaguely "moorish" but even then it's out of place.

cawatrooper9
10-12-2015, 04:50 PM
I don't think Super Mario Bros the Movie is a reference to anything, and even there Mario and Luigi dressed in Red and Green there because they still needed to be Mario or Luigi...anyway that's obviously a terrible mistake on the part of everyone.

Haha, yes, I did go for one of the more extreme options available, but dresscode aside the movie did ignore many of the core concepts that makes Mario games unique and iconic.

Now, it's interesting that the filmmakers have referenced Batman Begins as an inspiration for the movie. Batman Begins is blatantly about becoming "more than a man", becoming an icon. In the film, we see an evolution of Bruce, as he transforms from bitter adolescent, to ninja-in-training, to generic masked vigilante, to the iconic Batman. Perhaps there will be a similar progression here, with the traditional robes being more built up to than immediately apparent. It's not as if there isn't some precedence of this in the games, anyway, as getting your robes if often a big event in the games (ACII, ACIII, and ACU especially).

VestigialLlama4
10-12-2015, 05:14 PM
Haha, yes, I did go for one of the more extreme options available, but dresscode aside the movie did ignore many of the core concepts that makes Mario games unique and iconic.

Now, it's interesting that the filmmakers have referenced Batman Begins as an inspiration for the movie. Batman Begins is blatantly about becoming "more than a man", becoming an icon. In the film, we see an evolution of Bruce, as he transforms from bitter adolescent, to ninja-in-training, to generic masked vigilante, to the iconic Batman. Perhaps there will be a similar progression here, with the traditional robes being more built up to than immediately apparent. It's not as if there isn't some precedence of this in the games, anyway, as getting your robes if often a big event in the games (ACII, ACIII, and ACU especially).

Well I think they cited Batman Begins because commercially the only other reference to the Assassins in global popular culture is the bad guys from Batman Begins. The League of Shadows (Ra's Al Ghul) is based on the Hashashin, in the comics and the movie.

Heck AC1 has the Batman Begins plot...replace Altair with Bruce Wayne, Al Mualim with Liam Neeson and it's the same story. The student turns against the master and the whole conquer fear thing is "pierce the illusion" complete with a similar boss fight during the training scenes. Except of course Batman "doesn't kill":rolleyes:, he just goes on a joyride of a tank that upends several police cars and abandons his mentor to die in a train explosion. Batman doesn't kill because like every rich man who fights crime he has a lawyer who advises him on how to get away from facing legal consequences of his actions.

But you know to me the whole approach of the movie, going to the Reconquista is kind of silly (apologies to Spanish fans...no offense intended). They should have introduced it fully, gone to the crusades and introduced the concept in full, because this way they will make things confusing for audiences.

cawatrooper9
10-12-2015, 05:17 PM
But you know to me the whole approach of the movie, going to the Reconquista is kind of silly (apologies to Spanish fans...no offense intended). They should have introduced it fully, gone to the crusades and introduced the concept in full, because this way they will make things confusing for audiences.
Yeah, establishing Templars and Assassins in a context that is both historically accurate and convincing can only really be done in the Crusades. I suppose they just assume that this movie is for the fans first, so they assume that we've already reached that jumping off point of being able to discuss Assassins in any historical period.

EmptyCrustacean
10-12-2015, 05:21 PM
Well I think they cited Batman Begins because commercially the only other reference to the Assassins in global popular culture is the bad guys from Batman Begins. The League of Shadows (Ra's Al Ghul) is based on the Hashashin, in the comics and the movie.

Heck AC1 has the Batman Begins plot...replace Altair with Bruce Wayne, Al Mualim with Liam Neeson and it's the same story. The student turns against the master and the whole conquer fear thing is "pierce the illusion" complete with a similar boss fight during the training scenes. Except of course Batman "doesn't kill":rolleyes:, he just goes on a joyride of a tank that upends several police cars and abandons his mentor to die in a train explosion. Batman doesn't kill because like every rich man who fights crime he has a lawyer who advises him on how to get away from facing legal consequences of his actions.

That's not why they reference Batman Begins. The reason why is because of the non linear story telling in the form of flashbacks.

VestigialLlama4
10-12-2015, 05:51 PM
Yeah, establishing Templars and Assassins in a context that is both historically accurate and convincing can only really be done in the Crusades. I suppose they just assume that this movie is for the fans first, so they assume that we've already reached that jumping off point of being able to discuss Assassins in any historical period.

Well most AC fans didn't know Assassin from Hitman when the first game came out. I mean the Marvel movies, I don't entirely like what they do, but they tend to at least have some respect for the original source material (at least earlier movies) and understand what them appealing and attractive to start with. So there they started in the Crusades and went from there.

That's not why they reference Batman Begins. The reason why is because of the non linear story telling in the form of flashbacks.

Well that's a silly reason to refer to Batman Begins. The Matrix (the first one) is more apropos or even Inception for that matter, in that you are drawing a difference between a "real world" and a "virtual world", communicating that your protagonist is both himself and an ancestor and that he isn't actually travelling back in time.

The first Matrix opening sequence with rooftop chase, acrobatics and the like is a good example of how its done. It looks real but it's off somehow.

EmptyCrustacean
10-13-2015, 11:24 AM
Well that's a silly reason to refer to Batman Begins. The Matrix (the first one) is more apropos or even Inception for that matter, in that you are drawing a difference between a "real world" and a "virtual world", communicating that your protagonist is both himself and an ancestor and that he isn't actually travelling back in time. The first Matrix opening sequence with rooftop chase, acrobatics and the like is a good example of how its done. It looks real but it's off somehow.

Yes but the difference is Batman Begins uses the past to tell the present - that is, you have the past and the present working together to form Bruce Wayne's character development and ultimately tell us why he becomes Batman. The movie is incredibly character driven and the training montage is very quick. In fact some people said the training montage was rushed and there wasn't enough action in the movie (I don't think that's a bad thing) Nolan isn't a fan of big hand to hand action sequences. He's into high concepts (Inception, Interstellar) or character pieces (Batman Begins, Insomnia) so I really don't think the AC movie is taking any inspiration from that aspect of BB. I think they're going to use the past character to form the character development of Callum Lynch.

SixKeys
10-13-2015, 08:34 PM
Access the Animus just posted this. Apparently it's from the Abstergo set. Looks kinda photoshopped to me though.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2iuoyad.jpg

Sushiglutton
10-13-2015, 09:04 PM
Looks very Abstergoesque :). Funny I'm not really that interested in MD in the games, but curious to see how they handle it in the movie. Think it will work better when it doesn't interupt you from a gameplay exeperience, but rather is just part of the story flow of the movie. There are also no technical reasons to make MD less cool than the historical part, which should be great for it.

Given the competition of historical dramas in movies/TV-shows it does make sense to have a more MD focus to stand out.

HDinHB
10-13-2015, 09:31 PM
It does look kind of fakey, but the source seems reliable: https://twitter.com/AymarMtl/status/653987687028928512. Sometimes movie sets and props look fakey in real life so they can look realistic on film/sensor under the lights.

http://comicbook.com/2015/10/13/first-assassins-creed-set-image-released/ doesn't have much new info, but While he was coy, he did say that "It’s possible you may find some familiar faces..."

Oh, here's another tweet
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CRODeI5UAAAv9Lp.jpg
Azazia Aymar ‏@AymarMtl 1h1 hour ago Camden Town, London
On set with the amazing Justin Kurzel, a true Assassin and fantastic Director! #assassinscreedmovie

SixKeys
10-13-2015, 11:11 PM
I'm glad Abstergo is in the movie in some form, was afraid they were only interested in the historical tourism part.

ze_topazio
10-13-2015, 11:28 PM
I hope they hire Francisco Randez to play Ezio with Roger Craig Smith providing the voice, but the cameo could be of Shaun, in that case they need to bring Danny Wallace of course.

Depending on the time period the modern day is set, the cameos could also be from Desmond or Lucy or both, maybe Altair could appear in a flashback or something, Rodrigo Borgia could also be a possibility, maybe even Giovanni, etc...

Others like Vidic, Rebecca, William, Daniel, etc... are a possibility but they would need new actors/actresses which in my modest opinion would not make the cameo as cool or impactful, I mean, if suddenly Leonardo DiCaprio appears on screen I'm going to be like "And you are supposed to be who?", and he's like "It's me, Ezio!", I'm going to be like "OH HELL NO, YOU AIN'T EZIO".

SixKeys
10-13-2015, 11:49 PM
Others like Vidic, Rebecca, William, Daniel, etc... are a possibility but they would need new actors/actresses which in my modest opinion would not make the cameo as cool or impactful, I mean, if suddenly Leonardo DiCaprio appears on screen I'm going to be like "And you are supposed to be who?", and he's like "It's me, Ezio!", I'm going to be like "OH HELL NO, YOU AIN'T EZIO".

Why would they need new actors for those characters?

HDinHB
10-14-2015, 12:05 AM
I'm glad Abstergo is in the movie in some form, was afraid they were only interested in the historical tourism part.

One of the articles I linked above said modern day would be about 1/2 of the movie ("evenly split" I think they said).
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1252276-First-Look-at-Michael-Fassbender-in-the-AC-Movie?p=11075270&viewfull=1#post11075270

One of the more farfetched articles I read said Vidic would be played by Gary Oldman, which would be as awesome as it is unbelievable. I would expect the modern day of this movie to take place after the events of 2012.

ze_topazio
10-14-2015, 12:29 AM
Why would they need new actors for those characters?

I believe those characters have original designs, as in, they were not modeled after their voice actors or anyone for that matter.

But forget about Vidic, after further inspection it seems like Vidic is modeled after his voice actor after all, I'm not sure about William, but Rebeca and Daniel don't seem to be based on anyone or at least doesn't seem like they are, I could be wrong.

booty_fiend
10-14-2015, 11:28 PM
only one problem and it's a minor one (everything else is delightful): fassbender DOES NOT look like a spaniard. nope nope nope!

but guess what? i'm only looking for something to b!tch about because this looks so damn good, so it's fine, guys!

Locopells
10-15-2015, 12:19 AM
Guess they're using the old Animus...

VestigialLlama4
10-15-2015, 04:17 AM
only one problem and it's a minor one (everything else is delightful): fassbender DOES NOT look like a spaniard. nope nope nope!

but guess what? i'm only looking for something to b!tch about because this looks so damn good, so it's fine, guys!

Well the Spanish have a mixed ancestry, you have Blonde Spanish at the North (see Isabella of Castille) so the conception people have about Spain is about as accurate as Americans thinking Sicilian culture as refashioned in mafia films is accurate to the whole Boot of Italy.

My real doubts is that Fassbender's ancestor is apparently a Morisco, that is a Spanish Moor or perhaps an Iberian or Sephardi Jew, which is a bigger stretch than him being Spanish.

Don't worry they won't get Leonardo DiCaprio, he doesn't do junk movies like AC. Although considering that he's playing Hugh Glass in The Reveant, set in the post-Connor era as it were, I think he'd fit right in if you can pique his curiosity.

But they should get a name actor for Ezio because he's not the main character and movie audiences won't know who he is so they need to know that this guy is someone big. A star cameo is the best way to do that. Even if they don't know it's Ezio, they'll know solely because of the actor that he's someone special. So if they cast say Brad Pitt as Ezio, "they'll say whoa Brad Pitt is an Assassin", although personally I think Edward Kenway is a better fit for him in looks and personality.

I am quite sure that we'll see Ezio, Leonardo and Rodrigo.

ACZanius
10-15-2015, 04:23 AM
Well the Spanish have a mixed ancestry, you have Blonde Spanish at the North (see Isabella of Castille) so the conception people have about Spain is about as accurate as Americans thinking Sicilian culture as refashioned in mafia films is accurate to the whole Boot of Italy.

My real doubts is that Fassbender's ancestor is apparently a Morisco, that is a Spanish Moor or perhaps an Iberian or Sephardi Jew, which is a bigger stretch than him being Spanish.

Don't worry they won't get Leonardo DiCaprio, he doesn't do junk movies like AC. Although considering that he's playing Hugh Glass in The Reveant, set in the post-Connor era as it were, I think he'd fit right in if you can pique his curiosity.

But they should get a name actor for Ezio because he's not the main character and movie audiences won't know who he is so they need to know that this guy is someone big. A star cameo is the best way to do that. Even if they don't know it's Ezio, they'll know solely because of the actor that he's someone special. So if they cast say Brad Pitt as Ezio, "they'll say whoa Brad Pitt is an Assassin", although personally I think Edward Kenway is a better fit for him in looks and personality.

I am quite sure that we'll see Ezio, Leonardo and Rodrigo.

Srs hire Roger Craig Smith, you don't have see the mouth in the scene, have it iconic Ezio suit, hood, shadow on the face and just make roger do the voice, Ezio is so iconic to me, the voice, the charisma everything i literally could not watch someone else play him as a full fledged assassin lol

VestigialLlama4
10-15-2015, 04:35 AM
Srs hire Roger Craig Smith, you don't have see the mouth in the scene, have it iconic Ezio suit, hood, shadow on the face and just make roger do the voice, Ezio is so iconic to me, the voice, the charisma everything i literally could not watch someone else play him as a full fledged assassin lol

Roger Craig Smith is a voice actor and physically he's not Ezio at all.

Remember these movies are made for an audience who have never played the games. For you and me, Roger Craig Smith's voice is Ezio but for most audiences they don't know either of these names.

Ideally of course they should not make the movies in the same universe as the games. They should be separate and self-contained because games and movies are different things altogether.