PDA

View Full Version : FW-190's

Mike8686
06-30-2004, 10:18 AM
ok I posted something about this b4 and I got varied answers, so again, whats difference between FW190 A and D series? And what about that TA variant? I find that I manuever much better with the A series, is that how it should be? And again I ask, I find myself stalling easily and so I make careful movements with my joystick when flying, should it be this way or am I missing something?

Mike8686
06-30-2004, 10:18 AM
ok I posted something about this b4 and I got varied answers, so again, whats difference between FW190 A and D series? And what about that TA variant? I find that I manuever much better with the A series, is that how it should be? And again I ask, I find myself stalling easily and so I make careful movements with my joystick when flying, should it be this way or am I missing something?

Hunde_3.JG51
06-30-2004, 10:32 AM
Main difference is that FW-190D had Jumo-213A inline engine, whereas the FW-190A used a BMW-801 radial. The rear fuesalage was lengthened a bit in the Dora with the use of a sort of filler part. Actually many parts of the FW-190A-8 and FW-190D were interchangeable.

As for the sensitivity, check your joystick settings. The 190 does have high speed stall modelled so you have to be more gentle than in may other planes. You should be gentle anyway to keep speed and energy high.

In JG-26 Top Guns of the Luftwaffe there was a comment that the initial Dora pilots missed the FW-190's better roll-rate and tighter turn radius http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif, but they soon learned to appreciate the FW-190D's better climb, dive, energy retention, and high altitude performance. So the FW-190A should feel a little more maneuverable than the 190D IMO.

http://www.militaryartshop.com/prints/bailey/warwolf.jpg

Formerly Kyrule2
http://www.jg51.com/

ASM 1
06-30-2004, 10:44 AM
D is usually faster and less guns than A - A has better armament (possible to carry bombs) and Armour. It also has 'erhote notleistung' ('emergency power') boost (sp?! - my german is non existant!) D9 '44 has EN boost,D9 the MW-50. The D series are longer-nosed and have a longer wingspan (as is TA152 - wings are longer than Dora http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) TA 152 is like an evolved D series with both MW-50 and GM1 (nitrous boost) systems. The GM-1 is used for VERY high alt performance (10000m +).

Also the FW 190's use a variety of engines - A series use BMW 801's, D's use Jumo 213A's and the TA uses a Jumo 213E (I think) Also, the TA 152 C (which we dont have... yet - uses a Daimler Benz DB603 engine)

A's are shorter/Stubbier in appearance than the D/TA series.

I don't have the proper explanation for this - maybe someone else does? but yes, the A series are pwerhaps more forgiving than the D/TA because of the shorter wingspan - yes the FW stalls easily - its supposed to (some of this can be rectified by tweaking your joystick setup)

You have the right Idea - be gentle with joystick movements, particularly in the TA as she is very prone to stalling if thrown around...as are the 190's, but the TA is worst.

oh yeah... and IRL the TA is fastest of the bunch - 472mph http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/784.gif

Sorry I cant be more specific - dont have my books handy, not able to look stuff up.

S!

Andrew

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v299/asm016/WW2%20Stuff/Sig_Pic.jpg

faustnik
06-30-2004, 10:52 AM
Oblt. Romm of IV./Jg3 said:

"As an air superiority and interceptor fighter the Fw 190D-9 handled better than the Fw 190A: it was faster and had a superior rate of climb. During dogfights at altitudes between about 3000 and 7,500 m, usual when engaging the Russians, I found that I could pull into a tight turn and still retain my speed advantage. In the Fw 190A I had flown previously, during dogfights I had often to reduce to minumum flying speed in the turn. In the descent the Dora-9 picked up speed much more radpidly than the Fw 190A; in the dive it could leave the Russian Yak-3 and Yak-9 fighters standing."

So, at least at high speeds, Romm felt the Dora was the better turner, much like the FB model. As always different pilots have different opinions of the same a/c. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mdegnan/_images/FaustSig
www.7Jg77.com (http://www.7jg77.com) is recruiting
CWoS FB forum. More Cheese, Less Whine. (http://www.acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=31)

Fw-190D-9
06-30-2004, 11:58 AM
Well Mike, as for the handling qualities of the FW-190 A and D, they are very very simular. The As are just alittle faster on the roll and in turns, but only slightly. But really thats it as far has handling qualities. As with all FW-190s you just need to the gental with the stick and just make sure you have plenty of air sepeed and altitude and its a really great plane to fly. I enjoy flying the A-5/6 and D-9 '44.

As for the Ta-152, thats an entirly different beast in many many ways. Last night I took it up for the first time, and WOW! Its a D-9 on steriods. I had no problems flying it, and found that it was more stable then the 190's in almost every area.

Hunde_3.JG51
06-30-2004, 02:07 PM
Faustnik, from reading some accounts it seems to me the 190A could turn tighter than 190D, but it seems to relate to low speed turn-rate. But then, who cares about that http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif. I think the 190A and 190D turned pretty similarly at high speed, where it matters, its just that the 190D retained energy better. I think this is pretty well represented in FB.

And Mike, if you are interested here are some tips on flying the 190A I posted awhile back. Hope this helps:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=493109104&r=402100304#402100304

http://www.militaryartshop.com/prints/bailey/warwolf.jpg

Formerly Kyrule2
http://www.jg51.com/

Mike8686
06-30-2004, 03:20 PM
Well tahnks a lot, it really does help but now I have another question. If the FW190 is almost always out-turned and out-climed by other aircraft as you said in that post, whats so good about it? What are its advantages? I mean I really like flying it, I need praktis, but I enjoy that aircraft, and from the bits and pieces of what I've read about it I an only discern that for some reason it is a truly great aircraft, but the again if it can out turn and climb enemies, how is that so? Also reading your post brings up another subject (Sorry I'm really new to this game and the manual to it doesnt provide much info, you guys are all I can rely on). See I'm almost done setting up my controls but I dont know what some of the stuff is, whats propellor pitch and what does it do? Whats mixture and what does it do? What are all the "Trimming" options all about? How does supercharger next/previous stage work? How does magneto next/previous stage work? What does it mean to feather propellor, and whats it good for? Whats "cowl or armor flaps" and whats it good for? Whats are these "HOTAS" controls at the bottom of the controls menu all about? How can I set it so that the slider on my joysick controls engine throttle? Whats the difference between flaps in raised and combat position? Is it best to leave my joystick (saitek cyborg evo) with the default settings the game provides? And how do you use (and know when to use) those boosts mentioned above (MW-50 and GM1). I know that to activate it on the A-8 I press my W key but how does it work when you have two? Theres no option in controls for a second boost.

Mike8686
06-30-2004, 03:22 PM
but the again if it can out turn and climb enemies, how is that so?<----I meant to say, but then again if it CANT out turn and climb

harryklein66
06-30-2004, 04:08 PM
u can out turn any ennemy plane at HIGH speed with the 190 ! so stay over
400/450km/h,and learn how mutch G' u can hold,and how mutch shake befor stall
you will see that the 190 is one of the best fighter in the game

Fw-190D-9
06-30-2004, 04:47 PM
Hey Mike, ya ever done a snap roll in a 190? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Nothin can match that.

Also make sure you have a hight advantage, this is a must for all fighter, but very important to the Fw-190.

And don't worry about getting shot up too bady, even the Dora is a tought bird to bring down. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Mike8686
06-30-2004, 05:24 PM
Also, what view do you guys use when engaging enemy aircraft and firing at them? Obviously n cockpit but I notice that with shift F1 and some other buttons I can toggle between views closwer and farther from the crosshair

harryklein66
06-30-2004, 06:30 PM
to shoot i use a cdv55 view and large view if the target start evade maneuver
because it's easy to anticipate the ennemy plane position,i find large view better when u have an instinctive shot or a hard deflection shot to do

Athosd
06-30-2004, 08:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike8686:
See I'm almost done setting up my controls but I dont know what some of the stuff is, whats propellor pitch and what does it do?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pitch controls how much air the propellor "bites" as it rotates - complex issue covered in detail in a number of posts here. For the 190 its automatic by default.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Whats mixture and what does it do?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Mixture controls how much fuel is mixed with air drawn into the engine cylinders before ignition. This subject is also discussed at length in this forum. For the 190 its automatic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What are all the "Trimming" options all about? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Elevator and Rudder are the important ones - in game they are effectively minor fixed stick/rudder inputs that you use to keep the plane stable as the speed changes. Detailed discussions abound. Basically good elevator trim will improve your gunnery (won't have to fight the stick at the critical moment) and rudder trim prevents slipping and resultant loss of speed (also effects gun accuracy).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> How does supercharger next/previous stage work? How does magneto next/previous stage work? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Supercharger is automatic on 190. Detailed discussion elsewhere in forum. Don't worry about the Magneto settings - default setting is optimal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What does it mean to feather propellor, and whats it good for?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Feathering the prop only applies to multi-engined planes. If the engine fails the prop may windmill and produce lots of drag (very bad) - feathering the prop turns the blades edge on to the direction of flight, minimising drag and making control with only one engine much easier.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Whats "cowl or armor flaps" and whats it good for? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

These are the radiator controls used to manage engine cooling - the further open they are the more speed you will lose (though cooling will be more effective). Lots of discussion on this subject.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Whats are these "HOTAS" controls at the bottom of the controls menu all about? How can I set it so that the slider on my joysick controls engine throttle? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HOTAS = Hands On Throttle And Stick. That section allows you to apply various controller axiis to the functions listed. Select the "Throttle" item and move the slider on your stick to assign it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Whats the difference between flaps in raised and combat position? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Flaps are used to increase lift at low speed (landing and take-off) - "combat flaps" are used by many to make low speed turns tighter. Flaps fully up is the optimal position for normal flight.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Is it best to leave my joystick (saitek cyborg evo) with the default settings the game provides? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Default settings may be ok - you'll just have to try it and see, adjustments are easily made.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> And how do you use (and know when to use) those boosts mentioned above (MW-50 and GM1). I know that to activate it on the A-8 I press my W key but how does it work when you have two? Theres no option in controls for a second boost.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MW50 must be engaged with the engine at idle (or at least below 100%) and only kicks in when the throttle is advanced past 100%. For the 190 flick it on and leave it on (no need to turn it off). GM-1 is used at very high altitude 10km+ - functions the same as MW50 for practical purposes. On the TA152 it only becomes an option at the eligible alt - if MW50 is engaged, disengage boost and then re-engage it GM-1 will show up on the HUD log (text info on the right hand side of the screen).

Several other types of boost are available - there is an aircraft information document on FB's second disc which gives a fair bit of info (though obviously doesn't include planes added in patches).

Cheers

Athos

Over the Hills and O'er the Main,
To Flanders, Portugal and Spain,
The Queen commands and we'll obey
Over the Hills and far away.

Fw-190D-9
06-30-2004, 08:45 PM
for the MW50 flick it on and leave it on? I wouldn't do thaqt you have a limited amount of the stuff, I use it if I am climbing, helps keep the engine cool and gives me more power.

Athosd
06-30-2004, 08:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fw-190D-9:
for the MW50 flick it on and leave it on? I wouldn't do thaqt you have a limited amount of the stuff, I use it if I am climbing, helps keep the engine cool and gives me more power.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its only used when the throttle setting is above 100%. Turning it on or off with the 'W' key merely toggles its availability.

Mike8686
06-30-2004, 09:02 PM
Wow athos, thanks a lot, truly appreciate it
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Mike8686
06-30-2004, 09:57 PM
O BTW, can you also tell me how the radiator options work and what they're for?

NegativeGee
06-30-2004, 10:03 PM
One other thing about the MW-50 and GM-1 boosts, do not engage/disengage them when your throttle setting is 101% or higher. If you do, it will ruin the engine.

I find the best way to use them is switch them on at the start of your flight when your throttle is at 0%.

"As weaponry, both were good, but in far different ways from each other. In a nutshell, I describe it this way: if the FW 190 was a sabre, the 109 was a florett, or foil, like that used in the precision art of fencing." - G√ľnther Rall

http://www.invoman.com/images/tali_with_hands.jpg

Look Noobie, we already told you, we don't have the Patch!

WTE_Galway
06-30-2004, 11:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike8686:
O BTW, can you also tell me how the radiator options work and what they're for?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

closed is just that an armored flap covers the radiator and protects it and provides better aerodynamics at the expense of more heat

open .. gives better cooling but makes the radiator more vulnerable to shooting slow you down and makes some planes (Lagg is really bad) very unstable at low speeds

the numbers are just partially open positions

auto basically closes the radiator gradually as you increase throttle it is NOT temperature controlled. if you go for 110% throttle auto will close the radiator whilst at 0% throttle auto fully opens the radiator

BTW .. even though prop pitch is auto in the 190 there are situations where you may want to override it .. for example to get an extra bit of performance to close on a fleeing bogie in a long chase by taking engines revs a touch closer to redline

Fw-190D-9
06-30-2004, 11:35 PM
MW50 will ruin your engine if you turn it on when your throttle is above 101%? I can understand the nitrous oxied boost of the GM-1, but the MW50 is just a methenol and water mix that is injected into the engine to cool it and to rise it's RPMs. It also has enouph fuel time of I think maybe 15 minuets, so how would it ruin the engine?

Athosd
06-30-2004, 11:43 PM
O BTW, can you also tell me how the radiator options work and what they're for?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Basically - use the radiator flaps when you see the "Engine Overheat" message come up on your HUD log.

IIRC the radiator cycles forward with each key press from auto/closed (default) thru 2,4,6,8,Open and then back to auto/closed. The exact effect of each radiator flap step varies depending on the type of aircraft (some also have auto radiators that you can't control).

Fully open radiator flaps allow maximum cooling of the engine, but result in considerable drag (might lose as much as 30-40kmh). Under normal circumstances you can leave this control at default - your engine will usually only overheat if you use a lot of full throttle/boost.

The middle ground is generally at setting "4" - however there is a lot of discussion here about best use of the radiators (particularly with the 190).

Cheers

Athos

Fw-190D-9
06-30-2004, 11:49 PM
I usally never really touch the radiator controls and usally just back off the throttle till the engine cools.