PDA

View Full Version : stupid question but, how do i ban people?

CAF_Poker
07-31-2004, 03:49 PM
I keep getting these guys who are vulching and stuff or who keep bad mouthing my friends. So i'd like to know how to keep them out of my server even if it is only for a little while. Thanks ahead of time.

CAF_Poker
07-31-2004, 03:49 PM
I keep getting these guys who are vulching and stuff or who keep bad mouthing my friends. So i'd like to know how to keep them out of my server even if it is only for a little while. Thanks ahead of time.

steve_v
07-31-2004, 05:06 PM
bump

Maj_Death
07-31-2004, 07:43 PM
Press shift tab to open up the command line, type: user # insertplayernumberhere KICK

It is case sensitive and spaces are manditory. It might be kick instead of KICK though, I havn't used it in a very long time. I do not think you can actually ban someone with just FB/AEP, but you can do it if you download FBD or a similer program. Also, vulching is assumed to be allowed unless the host says otherwise. I suggest you stick "vulching is not allowed" in the mission briefing if you havn't already done so.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spelling mistakes left in intentionally to annoy tttiger.

Maj_Death here, I/JG1_Death at HL

I build COOPs and DF maps. If you would like some of them you can get them atmy COOP page (http://www14.brinkster.com/triggerhappy770/default.htm)

I/JG1 Oesau is recruiting axis pilots who prefer to fly maximum realism. We accept both veterans and rookies. We fly in VEF2, VWF and may join other online wars in the future. I am currently the acting CO, if you are interested in joining please PM me here or page me in HL.
http://www.bestanimations.com/Humans/Skulls/Skull-06.gif

Aviar
07-31-2004, 08:00 PM
CAF_Poker,

I'm sure you know that 'banning' and 'kicking' are two different things. Your topic and post mention\describe both of these, so we'll try to help you with both methods. Also, banning is indeed possible in FB:AEP. First of all, this is straight from the readme file:

--------------------------------------------
Console Commands:
- words containing spaces may now be used in console commands in quotes
- 'user' command is modified: disposed of of 'KICK' keyword
- 'chat' command is modified: added keyword 'TO# <N>' - it sends the message to the player of the given number
- added command: 'kick <name>' - disconnects the given player from the server
- added command: 'kick# <N>' - disconnects a player of the given number
- added command: 'ban' - prohibits connection for the given player groups
command format:
ban [ADD] [REM] [NAME [<name>]] [PATTERN [<pattern>]] [IP [<ip mask>]] [CLEAR] [LOAD [<file name>]] [SAVE [<file name>]]
ADD - adds players listed in NAME, PATTERN, IP to the ban list
REM - removes players listed in NAME, PATTERN, IP from the ban list
CLEAR - clears the ban list
NAME [<name>] - picks out a player by his name
PATTERN [<pattern>] - picks out a player/players by the name(s) given in the <pattern>.
In the <pattern> - '?' represents any character, '*' represents any quantity of any characters
IP [<ip mask>] - picks out a player by his network address
<ip mask> - N.N.N.N, where 'N' is either a number 0 to 255, or a number range (i.e. 10-127), or a '*' that is any number
LOAD [<file name>] - reads list from a file ('banned.txt' by default)
SAVE [<file name>] - writes the list into a file ('banned.txt' by default)
----------------------------------------------

There are two ways to kick a player:

1. Type the following into your console: (Bring up the console by pressing the tilde (`) key.)

>kick Aviar (Enter)<--Press the Enter key.

2. The second method requires 2 steps. Type the following into your console:

>user (Enter)

You will then see a list of players, each with a number to their left:

0 CAF_Poker
1 steve_v
2 Aviar

Proceed with step 2 and type the following into the console:

>kick# 2 (Enter) <--This is the player # AFTER you enter the 'user' command. Don't confuse this with the player number you see when you press 's' to see the online scores. There is a space between '#' and '2'.

*This method is usefull when a player has a difficult name or is using unusual\foreign characters.

Ok, let's look at banning. To ban a player (by NAME) from your server, type this into the console:

>ban ADD NAME Aviar SAVE banned

(Of course, where it says 'Aviar', you would put the actual name of the player you are banning.)

Now hit 'Enter' and directly below you should see something like this in the log text:

##>ban ADD NAME Aviar SAVE banned

(If you see an ERROR message instead, you have probably typed something incorrectly.)

**Every time you start your server, you will need to load the banned list. Even if you have not added any new names, you still need to load the list at every new session. This is the command to load the banned list:

>ban LOAD banned

Again, look for the confirmation in the log text directly below. It should look like this:

##>ban LOAD banned
---------------------------------

To add an IP address to the ban list, type this into the console:

>ban ADD IP 25.255.255.255 SAVE banned

(Of course, you would enter the actual IP address of the banned player.)

*Don't forget to LOAD the banned list!

To add a squad name (actually called 'PATTERN') to the banned list, type this into the console:

>ban ADD PATTERN JG14* SAVE banned

(Don't forget the '*' at the end of the squad pattern. Any player name starting with JG14 will be banned.)

*Don't forget to LOAD the banned list!

The instructions above are for when your server is actually open. You can also edit the banned file between sessions by opening it with Notepad. It may look something like this:

name Aviar <---NAME Ban
ip 25.255.255.255 <---IP Ban
pattern JG14* <---Squad Ban

From here, you can easily add or delete entries and then save the changes. Then, simply LOAD the file when you start a new session.

Aviar

--------------------------
AMD XP 2600+
EPoX EP-8K9AI Mobo
1536Mb DDR PC 2100 RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
SoundBlaster Audigy 2
Klipsch 5.1 THX Certified Speakers
CH FighterStick USB
CH Pro Throttle USB
CH Pro Pedals USB
Thrustmaster Tacticalboard

1.JaVA_Razer
08-01-2004, 04:18 AM
thx for info this is good read and very usefull

------------------------------
Teamplay on a dogfightserverhttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/crazy.gif
It sounds like a classic game of air-quake!?

Quote from extreme One

http://www.entity-project.tk
AMD 2500+ @3200+
Asus A7n8X-X
512MB DDR 3200 Apacer
Hercules 9200(soon to have a X800 pro)
2Coolermaster fans
Thermalright SP 97 CPU cooler
Sunbeam rheobus

CAF_Poker
08-01-2004, 09:57 PM
thanks a bunch man, that helps alot.

Aviar
08-01-2004, 10:40 PM
CAF_Poker,

I thought I saw you post somewhere else that you are using version 1.22. I can't remember if banning was a feature back then, but I guess you'll find out..http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Also, the kick command was changed at one point, so just be aware of that.

Most people here, I believe, are now playing FB:AEP. I can't imagine how many players you would get in a 1.22 server. Anyway, good luck.

Aviar

AMD XP 2600+
EPoX EP-8K9AI Mobo
1536Mb DDR PC 2100 RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
SoundBlaster Audigy 2
Klipsch 5.1 THX Certified Speakers
CH FighterStick USB
CH Pro Throttle USB
CH Pro Pedals USB
Thrustmaster Tacticalboard