PDA

View Full Version : My Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China tribute, featuring Roger Craig Smith

loomer979
08-21-2015, 06:39 PM
"A tribute to the best aspects of AC Chronicles: China, and an attempt to fix one of its worst." Hope you all enjoy it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAoEWB547KU

GunnerGalactico
08-21-2015, 07:21 PM
He really made that training sequence sound epic. :cool:

Captain Tomatoz
08-21-2015, 10:41 PM
Now for someone to mod this into the game some how

Sorrosyss
08-22-2015, 11:46 AM
Very cool. But also slightly sad that Ubi didn't choose to use him in the first place.

NondairyGold
08-22-2015, 01:48 PM
"A tribute to the best aspects of AC Chronicles: China, and an attempt to fix one of its worst." Hope you all enjoy it!

Roger didn't happen to say why he wasn't the voice of Ezio in Chronicles did he Loomer?

Very cool. But also slightly sad that Ubi didn't choose to use him in the first place.

Totally agree, it must have something to do with them outsourcing the game to Climax Studios. If a dedicated fan like Loomer can get it done, then there's really no excuse for not having Roger do the voice over. Unless he's priced himself out of it of course... we might never know the real reason.

Jessigirl2013
08-22-2015, 11:16 PM
Why wasn't he in it?
Seems odd?

Shahkulu101
08-22-2015, 11:20 PM
Climax, the studio Ubisoft outsourced Chronicles to, probably wanted to cut costs.

Although Roger is awesome and seems like the kind of guy who'd do it for free. In fact he kind of just did with this video so mass respect to him.

pacmanate
08-23-2015, 12:16 AM
Weird... If Loomer can get Roger for free why didn't Climax do it?

Shahkulu101
08-23-2015, 12:24 AM

Well if Climax hired him it would have been a professional job, so even if the role was small, they would have had to pay him something and I'm sure Roger would want payment (I did say he'd do it for free, but was speaking figuratively).

Whereas this was a really cool thing for the fans, and Roger is a great guy so agreed to do it. Or maybe Loomer did pay him? :p (I kid, of course)

SixKeys
08-23-2015, 12:31 AM
Clearly Loomer has some dirt on Roger that he's holding over his head.

HDinHB
08-23-2015, 01:49 AM
Whatever his methods, clearly, the Ubisoft casting dept should hire Loomer.

http://powerupgaming.co.uk/2015/08/23/assassins-creed-roger-craig-smith-reprises-role-of-ezio-in-fan-made-tribute/

By teaming up with YouTube user Loomer, however, fans can listen to Craig Smith briefly return as the character in the game’s tutorial mode, as he mentors current protagonist Shao Jun. In a statement, the actor said:

“These lines were recorded without the astute direction of Amanda Wyatt (my voice director on the AC games), as well as without the assistance of Ida Darvish and Peter Arpesella (my dialect coaches on the AC games) – all without whom the character of Ezio would not exist. If I’ve butchered the accent or botched the performance for these lines – that’s all on me! Many thanks to Ubisoft and to the fans for your support of this epic gaming franchise. Insieme per la Vittoria!”

Sounded great to me RCS, and thanks to you and Loomer.

loomer979
08-23-2015, 01:54 AM

All I know is that Roger was never even approached to voice Ezio in Chronicles: China.

For those speculating on payment: I imagine they would have had to pay Roger something, but you would think they would have at least entered price negotiations with Roger right? I honestly think it's just a case of Climax having no idea what matters to the fans and Ubisoft lacking the proper oversight on the tutorials to catch it.

SixKeys
08-23-2015, 02:58 AM
Let's be real, it was only like 5-10 lines. Roger has voiced Batman by now, I'm sure his salary reflects that. They didn't get Kristen Bell back for The Lost Archive either for such a small part.

ze_topazio
08-23-2015, 03:06 AM
A cup of coffee and a sandwich would have been enough payment.

I-Like-Pie45
08-23-2015, 04:04 AM
A cup of coffee and a sandwich would have been enough payment.

Shao Jun, here's a hidden blade.Tt might come in handy if you, the master of assassinating, take it with you.

loomer979
08-23-2015, 07:50 AM
Let's be real, it was only like 5-10 lines. Roger has voiced Batman by now, I'm sure his salary reflects that. They didn't get Kristen Bell back for The Lost Archive either for such a small part.

It's more like at least 33 lines, which I know because I actually had Roger record all of them (bless his soul) before I made the video and ended up only using about 1/3 of them as the final video took shape.

Climax doesn't know what sort of salary Roger would command because they never got in contact with him.

And bringing up Lucy in The Lost Archive is interesting because the developers there at least had enough foresight to just not have her speak instead of replacing her with another actress (especially one that sounds as bad as Roger's replacement).

All of which leads me to believe it's less of a money issue and more of a tone-deaf issue at Climax.

SixKeys
08-23-2015, 09:18 AM
AC isn't exactly new to replacing voice actors. Subject 16, Altair, Vidic (in AC4) and Shao Jun have all been replaced at one point. Of course it's possible that it's a tone-deaf issue, but it's equally likely that Ubi told the developers "here's your budget, make sure you don't go over it" and they just decided to hire the cheapest voices they could get.

Jessigirl2013
08-23-2015, 10:44 AM
Congrats, the online media have picked this up.
http://powerupgaming.co.uk/2015/08/23/assassins-creed-roger-craig-smith-reprises-role-of-ezio-in-fan-made-tribute/

Proper famous.:rolleyes:

Sorrosyss
08-23-2015, 11:03 AM
All of which leads me to believe it's less of a money issue and more of a tone-deaf issue at Climax.

That explains why the replacement is so terrible for sure. I really disliked the Shao Jun replacement as well, as with many of the Templars who just sounded British - let's be honest here. Some people dislike doing the accents, but it adds a whole lot more authenticity to it in my view.

I daresay they probably didn't approach the actress from Embers either. Its a shame. Especially in the case of Ezio, the poster boy of the franchise, people are gonna notice! They may well have had budget considerations, but to not even approach Roger is a blatent disrespect to the franchise and the work of those that came before.

ze_topazio
08-23-2015, 12:24 PM
Shao Jun, here's a hidden blade.Tt might come in handy if you, the master of assassinating, take it with you.

Thanks, maybe I'll need it.

Locopells
08-23-2015, 12:30 PM
If you're good enough to get through the highest difficulty, they turn the tutorials off altogether...

pacmanate
08-23-2015, 01:16 PM

Which is still odd. Why would you pick up a project and not do research on the characters? Eh, oh well.

All I know is that Ezio knock off made me confused/angry/sad at the same time

HDinHB
08-25-2015, 03:25 AM
Loomer tweeted earlier that RCS got clearance from Ubisoft before doing the voice work. It's cool that they let him do it, and I bet there is more than one *facepalm* at Ubi: "Why didn't we do that?"

I haven't gotten round to China Chronicles yet, so I hadn't hear pseudo-Ezio until I watched a clip today. Wow what a difference. It sounds like a bad dub to an old martial arts movie.

Jessigirl2013
08-25-2015, 12:57 PM
Looks like this got the attention of Eurogamer.;)
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-24-ezio-voice-actor-replaces-assassins-creed-chronicles-dialogue

I'm actually curious how you got the audio?:confused:

Friends in high places?:rolleyes:

ze_topazio
08-25-2015, 02:34 PM
Looks like this got the attention of Eurogamer.;)
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-24-ezio-voice-actor-replaces-assassins-creed-chronicles-dialogue

"3 for Ezio's Legacy Audio DLC Pack incoming?" by Jimjamyaha

lol

GunnerGalactico
08-25-2015, 02:57 PM
I'm actually curious how you got the audio?:confused:

Friends in high places?:rolleyes:

Loomer is actually no stranger to the AC voice actors, he does podcasts with them after the release of their respective games. He was probably lucky that RCS was kind enough to do the audio for him. It just bugs me that Ubi didn't just ask him in the first place. :nonchalance:

HDinHB
08-25-2015, 09:27 PM
Kotaku has a nice article on it. Sounds like they might have actually interviewed Loomer, not just watched the video, or read an article by someone else who watched the video:
http://kotaku.com/fan-gets-original-ezio-actor-to-fix-recent-assassins-cr-1726431624

“I held out some small hope that Ubisoft would patch Roger’s voice in but it soon became clear that that wasn’t happening.” Loomer had interviewed Smith before and pitched the idea to him. He also says Smith ran it by Ubisoft and got their blessing.

“I basically put together a list and video compilation of all of Ezio’s lines in AC: Chronicles China (about 33 lines total) and sent it to Roger,” Loomer said. “He then recorded his take on the lines (I assume from his home studio) and emailed me the sound files. We did a couple retakes on some of the lines (Ubisoft has changed how Shao Jun’s name is pronounced over the years) but other than that, that was pretty much it.”

And, in case you missed it, Loomer even created a backstory for the crappy voice and his righteous version:

The idea is that ACC:C was made by Abstergo, that Abstergo got Ezio’s voice wrong and that Erudito the hacker is revealing to you what Ezio really sounds like. Brilliant!

Brilliant indeed.

If you haven't checked out Loomer's youtube channel, you should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrZ3WDq6wHQ

He has everything from tutorials to interviews to tourism to live streams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-zw06IWe-A

bitebug2003
08-26-2015, 12:13 AM
Oh they have to patch this in :mad:

I miss Ezio :(

RVSage
08-26-2015, 06:08 AM
Clearly Loomer has some dirt on Roger that he's holding over his head.

hahaaha This is my favorite comment here .. Laughed hard.

Great video Loomer, so happy AC Universe has fans like you :)