AC2->Yes
ACB->Yes
ACR->No
AC3->Yes
AC4->No
ACU->Yes
ACS->It is said that "yes"
5/8

Is either an assassin from the beginning,or is introduced to the Order fairly quickly
AC1->Yes
AC2->No
ACB->Yes
ACR->Yes
AC3->Yes
AC4->No
ACU->Yes
ACS->Yes
6/8

Seeks revenge/vengeance/redemption for maily death(among other things)
AC1->No
AC2->Yes
ACB->Yes
ACR->No
AC3->Yes
AC4->No
ACU->Yes
4/7

At some point a PoE or Temple is discovered.Both orders seek it
AC1->Yes
AC2->Yes
ACB->Yes
ACR->Yes
AC3->Yes
AC4->Yes
ACU->Yes
7/7

The final target is a Grand Master(or Mentor)
AC1->Yes
AC2->Yes
ACB->Yes(sort of)
ACR->Yes
AC3->Yes(sort of)
AC4->Yes
ACU->Yes
7/7

Towards the end,the protagonist realises the true meaning of the Creed
AC1->Yes
AC2->No.Or yes.(i'm torn about this)
ACB->No
ACR->No
AC3->No
AC4->Yes
ACU->Yes
(only)3-4/7

I am not saying that each and every plot point is bad,but it gets boring after some time.Feel free to add more!

steveeire
08-17-2015, 07:49 PM
I am missing the point here?

Honestly tropes are not a bad thing, it is how they are used thats important.

pacmanate
08-17-2015, 08:03 PM
I am missing the point here?

Honestly tropes are not a bad thing, it is how they are used thats important.

I think its more predictability.

steveeire
08-17-2015, 08:26 PM
predictability isn't really a bad thing either as long as the story and characters are good.

pacmanate
08-17-2015, 09:12 PM
predictability isn't really a bad thing either as long as the story and characters are good.

I guess thats subjective though. I like unpredictable stories, its why I love TLoU

Farlander1991
08-17-2015, 09:22 PM
Speaking of tropes/structure, AC really likes Hero's Journey. Well, most stories do, you can probably apply it to stories where writers didn't even think they're making one, lol.

What's interesting, though, is that in AC3 the Hero's Journey is subverted - steps are the same, but the results are far more grim. What's more interesting is that it happens to the only archetypal Hero of the series - Connor (everyone else is an anti-hero in AC).

steveeire
08-17-2015, 09:34 PM
I guess thats subjective though. I like unpredictable stories, its why I love TLoU

I like both really, and either can be good or bad depending on how the story and characters are utilised. I knew how the Avengers was going to end didn't stop my smiling like a giddy child when I was watching it (I mean the Avengers 1).

SteelCity999
08-17-2015, 10:01 PM
Because of the historical nature of the AC narratives there will always some level of predictability. I think the biggest moments happened with the modern day such as the end of AC2 and ACB. AC1 did a good job with the historical narrative. Since they have tried to keep the narrative from bleeding over from game to game they have lost some of the options they had in the first few games.

Jessigirl2013
08-17-2015, 10:36 PM
Connor is considered charismatic?:confused:

Jessigirl2013
08-17-2015, 10:43 PM
The ending is somewhat abrupt usually following after a AC signature WTF moment.

AC1->Yes
AC2->Yes
ACB->Yes
ACR->Yes
AC3->Yes
AC4->No
ACU->No (Who actually considers this an ending?)
ACS->Lets hope so. (But they say they are "following in the footsteps of Unity" so prepare to be disappointed)

5/8

This is where I think AC is failing IMO ;)

WTF moments is what builds hype and suspense for the next entry.

Namikaze_17
08-17-2015, 10:50 PM
Connor is considered charismatic?:confused:

Maybe not to most fans, but he must have charisma of some kind if he was able to generate the following he massed over the years. Besides, just look at him - He looks like the type of guy you'd at least listen to, or maybe even follow into battle.

Charisma comes in many forms is what I'm saying.

D.I.D.
08-17-2015, 10:51 PM
The ending is somewhat abrupt usually following after a AC signature WTF moment.

AC1->Yes
AC2->Yes
ACB->Yes
ACR->Yes
AC3->Yes
AC4->No
ACS->Lets hope so. (But they say they are "following in the footsteps of Unity" so prepare to be disappointed)

5/8

I think ACU's ending would have been considered a WTF moment in the past, but we've seen too many of them, which is as good a reason as any to come up with something else. It's no less WTF than Desmond's visions of two alternative futures in AC3, in any case - in ACU, we got a shared post-death conversation between two characters that actually happened in their experience, not as a white-room simulation, and then we did indeed get a pretty abrupt ending after that. Once, that would have been pretty freaky, and now we're all "meh" about it :)

Cliffhangers were making the games feel like there'd be a cliffhanger every time, supernatural endings have done the same thing, and perhaps the most effective ending so far was AC4's because it sidestepped the series' tendency towards reliance on character deaths, TWCB/PoEs, and general DUN-DUN-DUUUUNNNNNN business.

steveeire
08-17-2015, 11:01 PM
Maybe not to most fans, but he must have charisma of some kind if he was able to generate the following he massed over the years. Besides, just look at him - He looks like the type of guy you'd at least listen to, or maybe even follow into battle.

I don't agree he has any charisma at all, let alone the charisma it takes to lead people into battle.

You know what forget that I don't want another thread ending up a Connor discussion.

Namikaze_17
08-17-2015, 11:09 PM
I don't agree he has any charisma at all, let alone the charisma it takes to lead people into battle.

I guess it's all in his head then. :rolleyes:

You know what forget that I don't want another thread ending up a Connor discussion.

Had no intent to spark one, but if you say so...

EDIT: I hope there's no confusion, but so we're clear, I'm not implying that Connor is charismatic.

By charisma, I meant by how he inspired devotion in others like his recruits for example.

Shahkulu101
08-17-2015, 11:15 PM
Connor literally lead battalions multiple times and won...

But yeah charismatic isn't how I'd describe him.

steveeire
08-17-2015, 11:16 PM
I didn't mean you, with that last sentence, I meant in general.

pacmanate
08-17-2015, 11:48 PM

He was also at the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

And by this i mean was shoved into every American thing that happened. EVER

HDinHB
08-17-2015, 11:52 PM
Towards the end,the protagonist realises the true meaning of the Creed
AC1->Yes
AC2->No.Or yes.(i'm torn about this)
ACB->No
ACR->No
AC3->No
AC4->Yes
ACU->Yes
(only)3-4/7

I'm confused by this. Are you saying that either Ezio never learned the "true meaning of the Creed" (I know some people here who would agree with that) or that he learned it in AC2 and then forgot it in ACB/ACR?

AC1->Yes
AC2->Yes
ACB->Yes
ACR->Yes
AC3->Yes
AC4->No

5/8

ACU definitely had a WTF ending for me. "Everything you have done is worthless, thanks for playing." WTF kind of ending is that? Probably not what you meant.

dimbismp
08-18-2015, 12:04 AM
I'm confused by this. Are you saying that either Ezio never learned the "true meaning of the Creed" (I know some people here who would agree with that) or that he learned it in AC2 and then forgot it in ACB/ACR?
He already was a master assassin in ACB and ACR,he couldn't discover the true meaning of the Creed,if he already had discovered it.

SpiritOfNevaeh
08-18-2015, 12:55 AM

EDIT: I hope there's no confusion, but so we're clear, I'm not implying that Connor is charismatic.

By charisma, I meant by how he inspired devotion in others like his recruits for example.

Charisma:

1. Compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others.

2. A divinely power or talent.

Charm, presence, personality, force of personality, strength of character, magnetism, attractiveness, appeal, allure.

:p :rolleyes:

steveeire
08-18-2015, 01:11 AM
Yep none of which Connor has.

SpiritOfNevaeh
08-18-2015, 01:17 AM

1. Don't care what you think since it wasn't directed at you :rolleyes:

2. I know you're a Connor hater so anything you say about him will be negative, so you didn't have to waste a post to tell your "obvious" point. :rolleyes:

steveeire
08-18-2015, 01:26 AM
I don't hate him, I just see what he actually is.

Jexx21
08-18-2015, 02:06 AM
connor's the kind of guy that will stab you in the heart

ShoryukenMan
08-18-2015, 02:23 AM
I like Altair and Connor for different reasons, but I personally don't see either of them as charismatic.

For Altair, he maybe a little more charismatic in Revelations, but certainly not in AC1.

That's just me, though.

HDinHB
08-18-2015, 05:43 AM
He already was a master assassin in ACB and ACR,he couldn't discover the true meaning of the Creed,if he already had discovered it.

Gotcha

Sorrosyss
08-18-2015, 12:47 PM
I wonder how many of these the movie's story will have? A fair few I wager. :p

SpiritOfNevaeh
08-18-2015, 01:23 PM
I like Altair and Connor for different reasons, but I personally don't see either of them as charismatic.

For Altair, he maybe a little more charismatic in Revelations, but certainly not in AC1.

That's just me, though.

Yeah, I find it funny that people including me love Altair but yet he isn't charismatic as well, so it makes me wonder what the REAL reason is for not liking Connor "not being charismatic."

Not to mention Altair IMO was more monotone throughout the game than Connor supposedly was.

I could state a reason but I'd rather not say because it will start a debate I want to avoid on the forums altogether or people will make up more excuses not to like him.

GunnerGalactico
08-18-2015, 01:29 PM

Here it is. It is stuff like this that irritate the crap out of me. These rabid trolls feel it is their gawd given right to bash and **** on characters just because they don't suit their type of archetype. You seriously cannot mention Connor in a sentence without people like this crapping on him. :mad:

It's not even like there are threads materializing around here that are demanding Ubi to make a sequel for him or something.

Yeah, I find it funny that people including me love Altair but yet he isn't charismatic as well, so it makes me wonder what the REAL reason is for not liking Connor "not being charismatic."

Not to mention Altair IMO was more monotone throughout the game than Connor supposedly was.

I could state a reason but I'd rather not say because it will start a debate I want to avoid on the forums altogether or people will make up more excuses not to like him.

Altair and Connor are probably my two favourite and most interesting Assassins ever! I prefer his first VA Philip Shahbaz over Cas Anvar any day.

D.I.D.
08-18-2015, 01:41 PM

That's just me, though.

I've never really liked young Altair either. I liked the idea of playing as a character who is in the wrong, but I thought his whole delivery was too much like one of those US English overdubs of a typical sulky anime protagonist.

I don't think charisma or a lack of it is necessarily the problem with the characters after that. Ubisoft just wants us to like them too much and the writers have tended to take the shortest routes to making that happen, which is understandable. We might spend more time with these characters, but we don't see them up close as much as we do in a TV show or movie, and there's more pressure for us to get a handle on the characters quickly for marketing purposes. So, they've hung the characters on simple, easily identifiable hooks: heroes from fantasy and sci-fi. The trouble is, we get a picture that doesn't quite sit properly. We have a fiction in which we're told the Templars massage the stories they feed to the public, but the Assassins' ones don't ring true either; it doesn't feel like the whole picture of the assassin or the life he/she lives.

It makes me think of the times I've known people who turned out to be highly manipulative. At first, you're on their side. You sympathise with their reports of being treated unfairly or being misunderstood, but then those stories pile up and stretch your charity. The person's accounts hardly ever acknowledge any personal error or mistakes, or at least not fatal ones: just enough to keep it believable, but not enough to damage the person's image. Doubts creep in, and eventually the mask slips.

AC stories are kind of like that. With the notable exception of AC4, the characters are so shiny and balanced. It's alright for Luke Skywalker, because you don't see him piercing throats or delivering several fast lightsaber jabs to an enemy's heart in a rage. They kept it on the side of a line that allowed him to be a nice boy and kill a bunch of people, nice enough that Disney could come along later and buy him. In AC, the screen is covered in blood and wanton viciousness, but the protagonist of the cut scenes is incongruous to his/her actions. It's less like you're there and seeing a life played out than you're hearing the story second-hand from the mouth of the assassin: "... And I swear that's how it happened. Honest".

[edit] Oh, man. I've just had a really dark thought. Remember how Sands Of Time made you like the Prince because of the storytelling framework: "No, that's not how it happened. Let me begin again..."? What if you had a weird, manipulative assassin who provided a Prince-like voiceover in the same way, and you slowly realised he/she was lying to you (i.e. to himself/herself, to his/her God)?

steveeire
08-18-2015, 01:51 PM
Here it is. It is stuff like this that irritate the crap out of me. These rabid trolls feel it is their gawd given right to bash and **** on characters just because they don't suit their type of archetype. You seriously cannot mention Connor in a sentence without people like this crapping on him. :mad:

I am not trolling it is my opinion, honestly people need to learn what trolling actually means, also yes I do have the right to **** all over a fictional character if I want too, Just as you have the right too praise said character.
My problem with Connor isn't that he doesn't fit an archetype, its that people like assign him characteristics and attributes he clearly doesn't have.

SpiritOfNevaeh
08-18-2015, 02:07 PM
And congrats for being added to my ignore list :p

But anyway, charisma is different for everyone so you can judge charisma in a character based on what you're used to.

pacmanate
08-18-2015, 03:13 PM

For me, its his voice. He is so droney, I get bored listening to him.

GunnerGalactico
08-18-2015, 09:19 PM
I am not trolling it is my opinion, honestly people need to learn what trolling actually means, also yes I do have the right to **** all over a fictional character if I want too, Just as you have the right too praise said character.
My problem with Connor isn't that he doesn't fit an archetype, its that people like assign him characteristics and attributes he clearly doesn't have.

That is highly besides the point. You've made it quite clear that you hate him ever since you got back here. My point of argument is that nobody got on your case (maybe Vestigia did, but nobody else pestered you) when you said negative things about Connor, they just ignored you and carried on. Whenever somebody says anything positive about him, you feel it is your duty to cancel out that person's post and say something negative out of spite. That is all, I'm not trying to change your view here. Anyways, my hands were already washed clean off you long ago.

Mr.Black24
08-19-2015, 07:00 PM

This is the kind of baseless reasoning that lead to every character into becoming the "brash and charismatic" trope that is poisoning everything that is good. Like we can't have an honest and good hearted character anymore. Nope has to be rough, gritty, and a clone of previous characters.

No one has a true argument on why he is a bad character at all. It just leads too "he is not funny and charismatic like Ezio", like how I seen when AC3 was released. Its dull, boring, and not interesting. Thats why no one appreciates your opinion. Its just baseless.

VoldR
08-20-2015, 12:10 AM
Was checking their age and was bit surprised that Edward is 22 from start and Haytham is 29... Yes I consider him as the starting protagonist. :D still falls in 20 something age, lol

Is either an assassin from the beginning,or is introduced to the Order fairly quickly

Altair - Raised
Ezio - 12 years
Edward - 5 or 6 years (depending ur point of view)
Adewale - already is when the DLC started (5 years when first met Edward and then resigned as quartermaster)
Shay - already is when 'Rogue' started
Aveline - "months of training"
Connor - 5 months
Arno - 12 yrs 6 months or 2 months (u decide:) )

As for Connor,
I don't care much for Charisma... Except in games that need it for persuading, lol

In any case, Connor IMO is well acted even before I saw the interview of the voice actor as to why he did the way he did. As I too believe the same from the start. If he acts like any other "charismatic " people whatever that is, than I'll have a problem.

This is very believable as other characters with similar behaviour despite their background and people around them still likes to follow or hang around them for whatever reason.

If they do nothing but stay by themselves than people stay away from them except super cheery people...
If they do something with their lives and aid others, despite their cold attitude, people can respect them and only those close to them knows their true feelings.

When he first see the city, he has excitement to learn and explore, when he was abandoned he is pissed, when he learns the unfairness and deceitful means of informing the public he feels wrong.

When he's with his father, he's tone change a bit to suit the moment & topic of conversation between them, when he's looking for lee the way he shouted is like frustrated child shouting to his dad in search of something or someone...

Only part I think may have a problem is when his friend said he likes the hunter girl and Connor goes "oh, Oh..."
:D

steveeire
08-20-2015, 12:15 PM
That is highly besides the point. You've made it quite clear that you hate him ever since you got back here. My point of argument is that nobody got on your case (maybe Vestigia did, but nobody else pestered you) when you said negative things about Connor, they just ignored you and carried on. Whenever somebody says anything positive about him, you feel it is your duty to cancel out that person's post and say something negative out of spite. That is all, I'm not trying to change your view here. Anyways, my hands were already washed clean off you long ago.
I don't do it out of spite, if I never offered an opinion in threads that talk about Connor I'd never post anything because every thread eventually turns into a Connor worship thread, and for the record I don't hate him, I hate how they wrote him and how he was used.

This is the kind of baseless reasoning that lead to every character into becoming the "brash and charismatic" trope that is poisoning everything that is good. Like we can't have an honest and good hearted character anymore. Nope has to be rough, gritty, and a clone of previous characters.

No one has a true argument on why he is a bad character at all. It just leads too "he is not funny and charismatic like Ezio", like how I seen when AC3 was released. Its dull, boring, and not interesting. Thats why no one appreciates your opinion. Its just baseless.

I don't see how its baseless if like you say Ubisoft felt the need to make every character brash and charismatic because of the poor reception they got for Connor, and there is noting wrong with having a honest and good hearted character as long a the character is well written and interesting.

Anyway I am done with this.

Jessigirl2013
08-20-2015, 04:55 PM

Connor is a subject that could be debated for decades ;)
I agree, I just couldn't help myself with that joke.:rolleyes:

I think ACU's ending would have been considered a WTF moment in the past, but we've seen too many of them, which is as good a reason as any to come up with something else. It's no less WTF than Desmond's visions of two alternative futures in AC3, in any case - in ACU, we got a shared post-death conversation between two characters that actually happened in their experience, not as a white-room simulation, and then we did indeed get a pretty abrupt ending after that. Once, that would have been pretty freaky, and now we're all "meh" about it :)

Cliffhangers were making the games feel like there'd be a cliffhanger every time, supernatural endings have done the same thing, and perhaps the most effective ending so far was AC4's because it sidestepped the series' tendency towards reliance on character deaths, TWCB/PoEs, and general DUN-DUN-DUUUUNNNNNN business.
I wouldn't say the past ending was unexpected, I don't know anyone who didn't think... Elise was destined to die in Unity after watching her announcement trailer.;)

Yeah.. That's not what I wanted.

Wouldn't surprise me.:rolleyes:

Any thread Connor is mentioned in seems to turn to this argument.;)
Good points.

I wouldnt say he lead them, He just turned up when it convenient for him to help them out ;)

He was also at the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

And by this i mean was shoved into every American thing that happened. EVER
Yeah.;)

I think he did, he just had already discovered it in previous entry, ;)
Therefore he didn't need to learn it again, as he already knew it.:rolleyes:

ACU definitely had a WTF ending for me. "Everything you have done is worthless, thanks for playing." WTF kind of ending is that? Probably not what you meant.

I have to agree, I didn't expect the ending to be so awful!
Syndicate had better have a decent ending. A WTF moment would just be a bonus.;)

Charisma:

1. Compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others.

2. A divinely power or talent.

Charm, presence, personality, force of personality, strength of character, magnetism, attractiveness, appeal, allure.

:p :rolleyes:

I guess Connor could be considered attractive... I guess:confused:

"force of personality"
Uhh......
:nonchalance:

D.I.D.
08-20-2015, 05:24 PM
I wouldn't say the past ending was unexpected, I don't know anyone who didn't think... Elise was destined to die in Unity after watching her announcement trailer.;)

:D Well, a lot of us hoped they wouldn't be so predictable, but hey.

That's not really the part of the ending I meant, though!

GunnerGalactico
08-20-2015, 06:48 PM
Any thread Connor is mentioned in seems to turn to this argument.;)
Good points.

You realise this only now :p

I guess Connor could be considered attractive... I guess:confused:

"force of personality"
Uhh......:nonchalance:

Err...yeah he does have personality. His traits are more of the endearing type. Hell, he boldly called out one of the founding fathers for hypocrisy, that definitely counts for strength of character. In any case, Connor is not meant to be that likeable. You either like him or hate him. That's how it is. ;)

HDinHB
08-20-2015, 07:43 PM
A lot of Connor's best qualities came out in the homestead missions, which many people didn't play or just didn't like.

Anyone who helps a pregnant lady herd pigs is alright in my book.

Locopells
08-20-2015, 08:08 PM
Topic guys. Every time I think you're going back on...

GunnerGalactico
08-20-2015, 08:11 PM
Sorry Loco, we'll stay on topic now :)

Mr.Black24
08-21-2015, 05:08 AM
To be fair, we are talking about characters. And ever since the big guy, we got the whole "brash and charismatic" folks who are all in it for themselves. I'm just mad that because of people lacking the thought process behind Connor, we won't get an honest, good person, for the people type, since its considered "dull and boring". For this, it scared off the writers into playing it "safe". So much for innovation....

Like we had 3 characters already with this trope, please lets have someone different!

HDinHB
08-21-2015, 05:50 AM
The OP cocluded that all the protagonists fit the young/charismatic/brash stereotype, except for old Ezio:

Young(early 20s),charismatic,brash and deadly protagonist
AC1->Yes
AC2->Yes
ACB->No
ACR->No
AC3->Yes
AC4->Yes
ACU->Yes
ACS->Yes

SteelCity999
08-21-2015, 06:36 PM
Regardless of Connor's personality, the story he was crafted in left a lot to be desired. Let's face it, Connor was the Forest Gump of the American Revolution. They did such a bad job with mission design and feeling the need to put him in every important event that his character got lost or it felt like he didn't belong. It could've been any native american. The voice acting was ok but definitely could've been better especially in some of the more intense areas of the game, very droney as someone said. So the good moments you saw got watered down so heavily from the artificial stuff that it hurt the story and the character. Of course he could also be Luke Skywalker for all anyone cares.....young kid's family is killed, kid sent off to exiled old mentor to rebuild the order in the new world after having his father almost eradicated it, only to face his father (the bad guy) in the end. Who's the emperor? Haytham or Charles?

I think they learned their lesson though and it shows in AC4 and Unity. While you can argue details, they chose to craft a story about the character within events. Otherwise Arno, would've been leading the French Revolution all by himself and Edward would've been the pirate king. AC2 was soo tailor made for the series it's not funny. All they needed to do was keep Ezio on track and not make him do anything dumb. AC1 had enough grey area in the history books to make it work really well. ACB story was forced while ACR was pretty good at fitting Ezio but not overdoing it.

In the end, they have to remember to build characters. Even if the character is a jerk, he can still be good and entertaining. Then they have to give them a story that brings out the characters personality and let's it be entertaining. Arno could've been a much better character with only a little more help. They needed to make his actions make a little more sense (especially regarding his own father). Connor's story in terms of gameplay and how we saw him needs a complete overhaul (not of his character but more of the game's story).