PDA

View Full Version : What do you think the single player part of the game will be like?

Ichrukia56
08-17-2015, 12:26 PM
Hello

i would like to get very body's opinion on what they think the single player part of this game will be like ( i know we are all look forward to when the beta comes out for the multiplayer and when the game is released) but as a tried a true single player patriot i would like to discuss it with you all so do you think that it will be a linear story or open world? Personal i will not might if it is linear but i do think that with the setting an open world could work especially if it is set in the hole of Europe.

P.S Please keep this discuss civil i would hate to have a mod lock it because of a troll or some other reason ;)

Willaguy2010
08-18-2015, 03:05 AM
When they said that this game takes place in a different world, because of Vikings vs Samurai vs Knights, I took that to mean that everything would be different, including the world they are on or something like that. I mean, when have the Samurai from Japan ever roamed the desert like the Chosen do in this game? I could be wrong though. Also, I think the campaign would be linear, usually with open world games you have some sort of RPG elements, but from what we've heard there really isn't anything to indicate there will be any RPG elements.

coma987
08-18-2015, 08:58 AM
I think the singleplayer will be like a tutorial for all factions but with a small backstory, in one of the videos a developer said the game isn't about great characters and great story but about feeling like you are a warrior.

Ichrukia56
08-18-2015, 09:32 AM
When they said that this game takes place in a different world, because of Vikings vs Samurai vs Knights, I took that to mean that everything would be different, including the world they are on or something like that. I mean, when have the Samurai from Japan ever roamed the desert like the Chosen do in this game? I could be wrong though. Also, I think the campaign would be linear, usually with open world games you have some sort of RPG elements, but from what we've heard there really isn't anything to indicate there will be any RPG elements.

I deafeningly think that the hope world has in some sense gone to hell especially if the Japanese have turned into a nomad horde and have some how made their way to Europe :confused: linear games can have RPG elements to them also if there is customization in the multiplayer then i would like to think there could be some in the single player as well but we will just have to wait a see then the developers tell us more :cool:

Ichrukia56
08-18-2015, 09:34 AM
@ Coma987 i hope that is not the case other wise this game will be just like rainbow 6 siege and i do hope that does not happen :D

Mr_Moonstone
08-18-2015, 02:26 PM
What could be interesting: if they turned the single player campaign into a tactical overworld map where you can select different fronts to fight at (maybe a little bit like the boardgame Risk).
You select your next battle territory and enemy (different fronts with different heroes), maybe even are able to form alliances (wink to possible DLC with allied factions - spartans, sarazens, celts and so on) and, depending on the 'route' you take, may even reach different end scenarios / endings.

Greets

Dead1y-Derri
08-18-2015, 07:07 PM
When I was at Gamescom they did confirm that the story is going to be like a proper campaign of some kind with a story and taking place entirely offline, unlike games like Titanfall which had a campaign but it was really just an online match with commentary.

UbiSeraphim
08-19-2015, 03:17 AM
I'm hoping that there's enough single player content to explain all of the different paths. Like, samurai leaving Japan to become nomads and wandering through the deserts? I'd love to play through that! And not just because #Iamchosen. :)

xMiiSTY
08-19-2015, 03:01 PM
What do you think the single player part of the game will be like?

AWESOME. THAT'S WHAT.

In all seriousness, I'm not too familiar with the histories behind samurais and vikings and such, but I can't wait to cut some limbs off and beat the crap out of some vikings and knights... ;) Just like UbiSeraphim, I'm wondering if there will be a different story line for each faction? So. Many. Hours. In. Game.

premiumart
08-19-2015, 06:45 PM
I would really like to know what single player leves look like or is it just like multiplayer matches with bots and backstory ? I think the single player campaign will be shooter-ish, play through scripted levesl watch some cutscenes, etc. Also i think they already said that there will be proper Hero characters along the way.

Ichrukia56
08-22-2015, 11:42 AM
AWESOME. THAT'S WHAT.

In all seriousness, I'm not too familiar with the histories behind samurais and vikings and such, but I can't wait to cut some limbs off and beat the crap out of some vikings and knights... ;) Just like UbiSeraphim, I'm wondering if there will be a different story line for each faction? So. Many. Hours. In. Game.

I hope so as well time will tell :)

UbiBooma
08-22-2015, 09:28 PM
AWESOME. THAT'S WHAT.

^^

Dead1y-Derri
08-24-2015, 03:27 PM
AWESOME. THAT'S WHAT.

It would be cool to do that or it might be a system where you pick your faction and then its kind of the same campaign as you go through. I honestly can't wait to find out more about the game's single player campaign.

Zercon.
08-24-2015, 07:27 PM
what he said ->
I think the singleplayer will be like a tutorial for all factions but with a small backstory, in one of the videos a developer said the game isn't about great characters and great story but about feeling like you are a warrior.
this game is like a moba and/or WoT

I would really like to know what single player leves look like or is it just like multiplayer matches with bots and backstory ? I think the single player campaign will be shooter-ish, play through scripted levesl watch some cutscenes, etc. Also i think they already said that there will be proper Hero characters along the way.
all the characters are heroes their is no races so it is broke down to the 3 master classes and then the 4 sub classes

JeoAttack
08-24-2015, 08:03 PM
I'm pretty sure I read that the game takes place in an alternative time-line, so that gives the developers a ton of wiggle room for a good story.

Personally I think they should play up the "no faction is good, everyone is bad" angle that appears different based on which faction you're playing.

But obviously Vikings win in the end.

japezeen
09-13-2015, 02:15 PM
Hi!

I never register these kinds of forums anywhere but when i saw this game on YouTube...i was hooked....big time..i had to register here. I love samurais, knights and vikings..perfect combo but i want game devolepers here make this realistic and only with really happened real events so we could really relive the real past. no fantasy stuff please. Our past history is fantasy alike enough already if you look what has really happened and has writen. I mean this about the single player campain..

HoyHoyJake
09-15-2015, 01:35 PM
What could be interesting: if they turned the single player campaign into a tactical overworld map where you can select different fronts to fight at (maybe a little bit like the boardgame Risk).
You select your next battle territory and enemy (different fronts with different heroes), maybe even are able to form alliances (wink to possible DLC with allied factions - spartans, sarazens, celts and so on) and, depending on the 'route' you take, may even reach different end scenarios / endings.

Greets

I like some of this idea. Would be cool to choose your battles in a sense. This would keep it from being too linear, not that I have any problem with linear experiences, but I think the nature of having big, epic battles lends itself well to opening up the world, providing plenty of freedom for players to determine where to go and how to fight.

Precious771
10-31-2015, 01:04 AM
This game looks really interesting, and all it would take for me personally to buy it is a complete single player experience. A campaign with a story would be very welcome, a PvE mode in addition to that even better, but tbh I'm good even if single player is simply MP matches with bots (like in Quake Wars or the original Star Wars Battlefront games).

I'm hoping it will be something like Killzone (story mode with the ability to play MP in it's entirety against bots) but regardless how it turns out, I support a full experience for both SP and MP fans. As many Ubisoft games in the past always have.

Dez_troi_aR
10-31-2015, 04:15 PM
Hi!

I never register these kinds of forums anywhere but when i saw this game on YouTube...i was hooked....big time..i had to register here. I love samurais, knights and vikings..perfect combo but i want game devolepers here make this realistic and only with really happened real events so we could really relive the real past. no fantasy stuff please. Our past history is fantasy alike enough already if you look what has really happened and has writen. I mean this about the single player campain..

If the campaign is built around historical events then vikings, knights and Samurai would never meet in Battle. (Nope, knights and vikings neither, though "Knight" is something that can be interpreted in many different ways. The German word "Ritter" comes from basically having a Horse Reiter (rider) -> Ritter(knight). So that would be Charlemange around 800A.C and therefor would fit into the period of viking attacks. But vikings didnt attack francia that early. However, these guys didnt think of themselves as knights they were just warriors with a horse... Our modern definition of Knight is linked to the christian component witch comes up around 1100A.C. (if i remember correctly) and thats around 50-100 years after scandinavia has been christianized.

I guess the campaign will like the single player modes in RTS or games like Tekken, were you have a little background and story wraped around your usual maps and scenarios. I wouldn't expect a real story with actual events happening as you play or level design like in a shooter.
And i truly dont want them to invest a lot of effort in the single player thing. Better focus on the important stuff.

RVSage
11-18-2015, 07:49 PM
I hope the single player is a better ryse son of rome. The art of battle system is exactly what ryse missed. I am hoping for a stunning linear game

Fatal-Feit
11-23-2015, 03:36 AM
I hope the single player is a better ryse son of rome. The art of battle system is exactly what ryse missed. I am hoping for a stunning linear game

I'm all for this. ^

If the SP levels are set up like the MP portions, just offline with some minor tweaks and gimmicks, that would be pretty disappointing. The AOB system offers a lot of flexibility for the SP. Perhaps we aren't playing through one cohesive narrative, and instead a entire level based around a real events in history. Kind of like Unity's prologue. But yeah, a Ryse-like campaign would be awesome. The closed alpha gave us maps that allowed us to interact with the environment (like triggering gates and pitfalls), so imagine what they can bring in SP.

MisterWillow
11-23-2015, 04:23 AM
Super late to this thread, but I haven't really put much thought into how I'd like singleplayer to be; having been more concerned with basic mechanics and customisation/progression type stuff. That is, until yesterday, where it came up in another thread (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1331220-For-Honor-Character-creation-customization-Character-select-in-Story-mode-etc), and I just spitballed an idea that I really think would be interesting, which, for the sake of convenience I'm going to copy/paste over here.

In story mode, I'm actually hoping you switch characters/classes at certain intervals, and multiple times throughout---sort of like the recent Mortal Kombat story modes---and switch factions in process, and in so doing, you'd get to test out all the classes, to figure out what you're preferences are for multiplayer, and to see alternate perspectives on what's actually going on in the world the devs have created.

Imagine seeing something play out as one faction, and have that faction's characters/leadership perceive the circumstances one way, and decide on a course of action, and then switching factions to see that that perception is completely wrong. It would also be a great device for showing the commonalities and/or differences between the separate factions' ideologies, so that anyone who's on the fence about which faction they want to play as in multiplayer can see what it is they would be fighting for (so to speak).

As a rather elaborate example:

You're playing a Legion section, as a Warden, under the command of a Duke whose city stands in the southern regions of the Kingdom. The Chosen have already breached the border and sacked a few towns (possibly earlier campaign levels), have suffered some losses, but seem determined to gain a major foothold in the region, and the Duke knows the only way they'll be able to do that is to capture the city he commands, as it acts as a major thoroughfare for troops and supplies keeping the region stocked and defended. You've been sent as reinforcements, by command of the King. The Duke lays out the importance of the city's defense and orders you to the wall.

As you look out over the southern fortification, there is an open field, a shallow dip in the land, and a forest beyond. All is quiet for a moment, and then you hear a battle cry from beyond the slope, and see the Chosen army slowly rise up---seemingly out of the land---as they march toward the castle, all the while you hear their commanders galvanizing their troops (preferably in Japanese). The Duke (or a general) orders a volley of arrows, which succeed in taking out a few in the front ranks, causing the Chosen to stop, whereupon their commander gives a command, waves a signal fan, and their archers let loose an Arrow Storm, felling a number of Legion troops on the wall, before a large portion of the army charges the wall, the first among them to reach it throwing grappling hooks and begin climbing.

Gameplay begins, in which you defend the wall as Chosen begin climbing up onto it---and let's assume you have access to your Feats, and would be able to call in Catapult Strikes on the Chosen army below. After some period of time, a short cutscene plays of one of the Chosen commanders giving a signal, and from over the decline comes a couple of horses pulling a battering ram on a wheeled frame, which charge up to the gate, followed by a couple dozen Chosen warriors and archers to operate and defend it; and as certain Legion archers change focus from the main force scaling the wall to the ram and its workers, a few (more) Chosen succeed in scaling the wall, creating a breach in your defenses.

Gameplay resumes as you fight a bit more on the wall, until the Duke (or general) rallies the troops there, the troops around you crushing and pushing back the fighters on the wall, and orders you to the gate. Once there, in a courtyard amid the rhythmic thumping of the ram on the other side of the door, the unit commander imparts on you the importance of holding the entryway, and when the wood cracks and splits, and the doors are flung open, the entire Chosen force charges into the breach.

You would fight in the courtyard for a few minutes, but ultimately you are victorious, and force a retreat from the Chosen. The Duke would not be satisfied, however, until he sees all the invaders destroyed, and orders the army to run down the fleeing Chosen and make sure they won't return. The Legion chases them over the decline and into the forest, but as they start moving through the trees, you would see there is a larger, secondary Chosen force hiding in the brush, at which point you would switch to a Chosen Oni, ambush the Legion, and fight your way back through the field and eventually succeed in sacking the city.

From there, the campaign could either stay with the Chosen story until the next conflict, or it could switch back to the Legion---the King reacting to news of the city's fall, but being told that there's other trouble in the Kingdom, and that the Warborn have been sighted on the northern coast---or even switch to the Warborn---the camera pulls back from the Chosen victory to eventually reveal a small fleet of ships seeing the smoke from the burning city from a distant river, where they're preparing to attack a port.

There's plenty they can do with this method of storytelling. If, in that little scenario, you stay with the Chosen, you could have a little celebration scene, with some opportunity for dramatisation, laying out a bit of what they really want to accomplish (i.e. 'This can be our new home. Fertile fields, clear skies. But we must defend it.'), making them more than just a bunch of faceless soldiers. Also in that scenerio, if you pull back to the Warborn, perhaps they succeed in taking the port they're going after, but having seen the smoke earlier, the leader of the warband thinks it's probably an easy target for a second raid, setting up a conflict between them and the Chosen.

Sorry if that was a bit long and involved, but I really think it gets my point across. ;)

Also, reading through this thread, I like the idea of the overworld map that you manipulate like a game of Risk. I'm wondering, though, how a story would factor into that. On the main site, there are very simplistic motivations given to the factions---the Chosen are looking for a new home, the Warborn are trying to reclaim their ancestral home, and the Legion are being invaded. Would you pick the faction you want to play as and then conquer as much as you can? Honestly, as much as I like the idea, I can't help but feel that would be better served as a separate single-player (or even Civilizations-esque multiplayer) mode. If they called it Conquest, for example, and it's more a turn-based strategy game with three sides all vying for power, without the fighting that's the game's main sell (or with it, but when a conflict occurs, it's a 1v1 fight between the two Heroes in direct opposition). But perhaps I'm overstepping myself...

Regardless, and I'm not sure how this would come across, but since the devs have been really pushing the multiplayer, it would be kind-of interesting if the campaign ends with the three factions obtaining a more-or-less equal footing on the map, but the overall war still on-going, with an implication that everything you're doing in multiplayer is a sort of never-ending continuation of the campaign. Really try and connect the two. Of course, that could always backfire, with people complaining about cliffhangers, but I think it would add something thematically to the game. :)

Fatal-Feit
11-23-2015, 04:04 PM
Super late to this thread, but I haven't really put much thought into how I'd like singleplayer to be; having been more concerned with basic mechanics and customisation/progression type stuff. That is, until yesterday, where it came up in another thread (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1331220-For-Honor-Character-creation-customization-Character-select-in-Story-mode-etc), and I just spitballed an idea that I really think would be interesting, which, for the sake of convenience I'm going to copy/paste over here.

In story mode, I'm actually hoping you switch characters/classes at certain intervals, and multiple times throughout---sort of like the recent Mortal Kombat story modes---and switch factions in process, and in so doing, you'd get to test out all the classes, to figure out what you're preferences are for multiplayer, and to see alternate perspectives on what's actually going on in the world the devs have created.

Imagine seeing something play out as one faction, and have that faction's characters/leadership perceive the circumstances one way, and decide on a course of action, and then switching factions to see that that perception is completely wrong. It would also be a great device for showing the commonalities and/or differences between the separate factions' ideologies, so that anyone who's on the fence about which faction they want to play as in multiplayer can see what it is they would be fighting for (so to speak).

As a rather elaborate example:

You're playing a Legion section, as a Warden, under the command of a Duke whose city stands in the southern regions of the Kingdom. The Chosen have already breached the border and sacked a few towns (possibly earlier campaign levels), have suffered some losses, but seem determined to gain a major foothold in the region, and the Duke knows the only way they'll be able to do that is to capture the city he commands, as it acts as a major thoroughfare for troops and supplies keeping the region stocked and defended. You've been sent as reinforcements, by command of the King. The Duke lays out the importance of the city's defense and orders you to the wall.

As you look out over the southern fortification, there is an open field, a shallow dip in the land, and a forest beyond. All is quiet for a moment, and then you hear a battle cry from beyond the slope, and see the Chosen army slowly rise up---seemingly out of the land---as they march toward the castle, all the while you hear their commanders galvanizing their troops (preferably in Japanese). The Duke (or a general) orders a volley of arrows, which succeed in taking out a few in the front ranks, causing the Chosen to stop, whereupon their commander gives a command, waves a signal fan, and their archers let loose an Arrow Storm, felling a number of Legion troops on the wall, before a large portion of the army charges the wall, the first among them to reach it throwing grappling hooks and begin climbing.

Gameplay begins, in which you defend the wall as Chosen begin climbing up onto it---and let's assume you have access to your Feats, and would be able to call in Catapult Strikes on the Chosen army below. After some period of time, a short cutscene plays of one of the Chosen commanders giving a signal, and from over the decline comes a couple of horses pulling a battering ram on a wheeled frame, which charge up to the gate, followed by a couple dozen Chosen warriors and archers to operate and defend it; and as certain Legion archers change focus from the main force scaling the wall to the ram and its workers, a few (more) Chosen succeed in scaling the wall, creating a breach in your defenses.

Gameplay resumes as you fight a bit more on the wall, until the Duke (or general) rallies the troops there, the troops around you crushing and pushing back the fighters on the wall, and orders you to the gate. Once there, in a courtyard amid the rhythmic thumping of the ram on the other side of the door, the unit commander imparts on you the importance of holding the entryway, and when the wood cracks and splits, and the doors are flung open, the entire Chosen force charges into the breach.

You would fight in the courtyard for a few minutes, but ultimately you are victorious, and force a retreat from the Chosen. The Duke would not be satisfied, however, until he sees all the invaders destroyed, and orders the army to run down the fleeing Chosen and make sure they won't return. The Legion chases them over the decline and into the forest, but as they start moving through the trees, you would see there is a larger, secondary Chosen force hiding in the brush, at which point you would switch to a Chosen Oni, ambush the Legion, and fight your way back through the field and eventually succeed in sacking the city.

From there, the campaign could either stay with the Chosen story until the next conflict, or it could switch back to the Legion---the King reacting to news of the city's fall, but being told that there's other trouble in the Kingdom, and that the Warborn have been sighted on the northern coast---or even switch to the Warborn---the camera pulls back from the Chosen victory to eventually reveal a small fleet of ships seeing the smoke from the burning city from a distant river, where they're preparing to attack a port.

There's plenty they can do with this method of storytelling. If, in that little scenario, you stay with the Chosen, you could have a little celebration scene, with some opportunity for dramatisation, laying out a bit of what they really want to accomplish (i.e. 'This can be our new home. Fertile fields, clear skies. But we must defend it.'), making them more than just a bunch of faceless soldiers. Also in that scenerio, if you pull back to the Warborn, perhaps they succeed in taking the port they're going after, but having seen the smoke earlier, the leader of the warband thinks it's probably an easy target for a second raid, setting up a conflict between them and the Chosen.

Sorry if that was a bit long and involved, but I really think it gets my point across. ;)

http://i.imgur.com/wW1dH66.gif

You have nothing to apologize for. I enjoyed reading every minute of it. :)

If you don't mind, I'd like to elaborate on feats. I don't know if someone have already spoken about it (sorry, in advance), but reading your post made me realize how much potential they have in the SP. Players aren't as limited, so it would be awesome to see some unique feats only achievable in the SP.

Gameplay begins, in which you defend the wall as Chosen begin climbing up onto it---and let's assume you have access to your Feats, and would be able to call in Catapult Strikes on the Chosen army below.

As an example, instead of a usual catapult strike, we're able to command several catapult strikes at once. And/or we have a unique feat for the mission, which is dropping hot boiling oil.

Saint_Anger64
11-23-2015, 11:09 PM

Greets
I DO HOWEVER want the to be stages and areas that are Not in multi-player to be in the campaign. I Don't want campaign to be anything like what Coma9 described! That would be an awful slap in the face to a passionate group of warriors. JS. That would turn this into just another competition with no real meaning. Story and history is where the passion comes from. Without it,its pretty graphics and neat combat.

Saint_Anger64
11-23-2015, 11:21 PM
Split screen is in so we Have to have it in campaign. Also I would love to see deep fleshed out stories for leaders of each faction. Then later we can have story's for other Hero's of each faction added and develop maybe and entwined story/campaign that centers on each hero/class/faction. It could improve the lifespan of potentially the best game in years!

Fatal-Feit
11-23-2015, 11:39 PM
I Don't want campaign to be anything like what Coma9 described! That would be an awful slap in the face to a passionate group of warriors. JS. That would turn this into just another competition with no real meaning. Story and history is where the passion comes from. Without it,its pretty graphics and neat combat.

But the passion for this game derives completely from its gameplay. :p

A game does not need a strong narrative to have passion or meaning. After all, gameplay is the most important aspect of a game, no matter what anyone else thinks.

MisterWillow
11-23-2015, 11:52 PM
You have nothing to apologize for. I enjoyed reading every minute of it. :)

:D

If you don't mind, I'd like to elaborate on feats. I don't know if someone have already spoken about it (sorry, in advance), but reading your post made me realize how much potential they have in the SP. Players aren't as limited, so it would be awesome to see some unique feats only achievable in the SP.

As an example, instead of a usual catapult strike, we're able to command several catapult strikes at once. And/or we have a unique feat for the mission, which is dropping hot boiling oil.

That's an excellent point. I particularly like the idea of campaign-specific Feats which wouldn't really be conducive to a multiplayer setting, given that narrative allows for specific cirumstances that might never arise there.

I mean, when in multiplayer could burning oil factor in, really? Maybe if the Battlefield's-Rush-type mode that has been suggested, with players trying to breach a wall, but outside of that (especially in Dominion), there would be no need for it.