PDA

View Full Version : Predict the ACS metascore

dimbismp
08-14-2015, 11:23 AM
Here's how the previous games fared(in each case i chose the platform with the most reviews):
AC:81
ACII:90
ACB:89
ACR:80
ACIII:84
ACIV(old gen):88
ACIV(current gen):83
ACRo:72
ACU:72*

*In my opinion,if it weren't for the technical issues,the game would get a 75

Before making your decision,bare in mind that current gen games tend to get lower scores than the old gen ones(See ACIV).For example,by the end of last gen almost 50 games had a metascore above 90(some even almost reached the perfect 100),while so far only 2 next gen only games have a metascore above 90.

Considering all these facts,i believe that anything above 80 will be a big success for ACS.

I'll vote for the"65-75" option,allthough i hope for something better

kosmoscreed
08-14-2015, 12:13 PM
The game will be better than ACU but the press is so burned and tired of AC....hard to predict to be honest.

m4r-k7
08-14-2015, 12:24 PM
I think it will probably get 75 - 82

GunnerGalactico
08-14-2015, 01:07 PM
It slightly edges out Unity on a few things. So, my guess would be between 77 - 83

Alphacos007
08-14-2015, 01:46 PM
I think it'll be better than ACU, so something above 75. I'll guess 78.

SofaJockey
08-14-2015, 01:49 PM
Partly because of series tiredness, I think many have come to a view about ACS even before release.
I wouldn't even be surprised by troll metacritic reviews being posted by people within minutes of launch.

I quite like the look of the game, but the game sites appear to be treating it as a pile of 'meh'...
And much of the gaming press is consumed by Fallout 4, even making up 'news' about that when there really isn'y any.

Sushiglutton
08-14-2015, 02:39 PM
I think it will be less buggy than Unity. At the same time there has been a lot of discussion and negativity about the "Ubisoft-formula" in the gaming community. I believe reviewers will be more vigilant when it comes to how the world in Syndicate is filled out with content. The gameplay for Syndicate looks weak if you compare to modern AAA standard. Combat is very choppy, the AI problems, which have plagued AC since forever, are still very present and the carriages look pretty clunky and not nearly as exciting as the ship combat. It's more of the same in an increasingly tired franchise. Also high quality releases like the Witcher 3 and MGSV will demonstrate just how far behind Ubisoft is falling.

All these factors combined make me believe the score will be in the low seventies, perhaps the same as for Unity 72.

VoXngola
08-14-2015, 04:24 PM
I think it will be less buggy than Unity. At the same time there has been a lot of discussion and negativity about the "Ubisoft-formula" in the gaming community. I believe reviewers will be more vigilant when it comes to how the world in Syndicate is filled out with content. The gameplay for Syndicate looks weak if you compare to modern AAA standard. Combat is very choppy, the AI problems, which have plagued AC since forever, are still very present and the carriages look pretty clunky and not nearly as exciting as the ship combat. It's more of the same in an increasingly tired franchise. Also high quality releases like the Witcher 3 and MGSV will demonstrate just how far behind Ubisoft is falling.

All these factors combined make me believe the score will be in the low seventies, perhaps the same as for Unity 72.

Took the words out of my mouth. Witcher 3 and GTA V are such amazing open world games, especially Witcher 3. And MGS V is many people's wet dream.
If you compare AC to those open world games, it's kind of embarrassing to be honest.

Shahkulu101
08-14-2015, 05:06 PM
I predict a 77-82.

Sanbutt995
08-14-2015, 05:15 PM
75-80. It looks a bit too much like Unity which will hurt it's score, but I think the game looks better than ACU did.

GunnarGunderson
08-14-2015, 05:46 PM
Should I include paid reviews in my estimate? Because I remember Unity getting a couple perfect scores

phoenix-force411
08-14-2015, 06:02 PM
AC does need a break. I think the series gets really old really quickly due to the rehashing since ACII. ACII-ACRevelations basically have mechanics from ACI, but have been improved as the games went by. ACIV and Rogue have the same mechanics from ACIII. And now, Syndicate has the same mechanics from Unity. The rehashing just goes on and on. Poor story-telling just makes the game even worse. Ubi needs to stop wasting the fans' time and get to the important parts and what makes the series so great. Right now, it's all about gameplay appeal and not story. Casual gamers don't care about the story of AC, they just want to be impressed by the gameplay. Assassin's Creed used to be well-praised, but now it's just seen as Ubi's Cash Cow, Milked Dried Series, and a "used to be good" game. It's been ridiculed for a long time now, and with how bad Unity was, it basically proved to the anti-fans and fans who were on the edge of leaving the series that the series wasn't going to get better. If Syndicate is as horrible or worse than Unity, AC would probably only survive on casual gamers.

BananaBlighter
08-14-2015, 06:38 PM
From what we've seen I don't see any reason to give it a very high score. But the main reason for my opinion is that it seems too easy, which is something others may actually prefer.

pacmanate
08-14-2015, 08:41 PM
75-85 - If its more polished and has a good story it will be a good game. The devs had said they want a SP only game so they can focus on story, so if they still cant deliver after all this focus, I'm off the AC train.

SpiritOfNevaeh
08-14-2015, 09:20 PM
I'm gonna say its already looking a little better than Unity but might not be perfect than AC1 - ACIV.

So I'm gonna play it safe at 75-85.

And yes Sushi, I do agree the series needs a break BIG time. I;m sure we're not the only ones who feel this way.

RVSage
08-15-2015, 02:06 AM
Kinda betting on 85+... Primarily because of Marc Alexis Cote. He has looked positive, smiles and I have a hinch he has been leading the project well

Jessigirl2013
08-15-2015, 12:28 PM
Kinda betting on 85+... Primarily because of Marc Alexis Cote. He has looked positive, smiles and I have a hinch he has been leading the project well

Yeah,
I doubt UBI will allow any bugs to slip though the net this time, so the score will be based on the story and gameplay as apposed to bugs.;)

Personally I never look at meteoritic scores. ;)

Sorrosyss
08-15-2015, 12:39 PM
I'd say 76 - 80. I'm that specific. :p

Alphacos007
08-15-2015, 12:51 PM
Yeah,
I doubt UBI will allow any bugs to slip though the net this time, so the score will be based on the story and gameplay as apposed to bugs.;)

Personally I never look at meteoritic scores. ;)

Meteoritic? :rolleyes:

I also believe they will do their best within the time constraints to not let any huge bugs go through, but I doubt we will have a bug free game, all ACs always had plenty of bugs on release, just not nearly as much as Unity had.

BananaBlighter
08-15-2015, 02:30 PM

I also have been very hopeful, seeing many of the devs being very positive and confident that it's gonna be great. Is it possible they're still hiding something that's gonna make this game great? I'm hoping that some of the things that upset me will be gone by release, or were only present in the demos. For example, I hope you do actually take damage from volt bombs, and that the chameleon ability only reduces detection, or that the rope launcher makes noise, and that the combat will be smoother.

SpiritOfNevaeh
08-15-2015, 02:35 PM

Oh yeah! I forgot this guy is working in this one.

He also worked on AC3 so it might be promising :)

pacmanate
08-15-2015, 02:58 PM
I also have been very hopeful, seeing many of the devs being very positive and confident that it's gonna be great. Is it possible they're still hiding something that's gonna make this game great? I'm hoping that some of the things that upset me will be gone by release, or were only present in the demos. For example, I hope you do actually take damage from volt bombs, and that the chameleon ability only reduces detection, or that the rope launcher makes noise, and that the combat will be smoother.

Well they haven't really added much. The only thing they can be confident in is no bugs and a good story. So if they fail either its bad.

BananaBlighter
08-15-2015, 03:08 PM
Well they haven't really added much. The only thing they can be confident in is no bugs and a good story. So if they fail either its bad.

Yeah that's why I'm hoping there something that they haven't revealed yet that's gonna add so much to the game. I'm hoping that the gangs are a lot more in depth than we first imagined and there's something to do with that working so well in the open world that makes them so confident. Of course it could just be that the story is legendary, but it's kind hard for a writer to judge if their story is good or not. I guess we'll just have o wait and see.

EmptyCrustacean
08-15-2015, 03:17 PM
the game will definitely be better than Unity but that's not saying much considering that Unity set the bar so low.

D.I.D.
08-15-2015, 03:38 PM
I can see it being quite high, potentially. The setting is a popular aesthetic, and The Order 1886 puked on its own shoes already this year. It might just have enough different game modes contained within it that it pulls off the trick that Brotherhood did, of making you feel that there were at least 2 or 3 things you'd be equally happy to do at any given time and nothing that you absolutely hate doing (okay, not you, person who hated parts of Brotherhood :) I mean the reviewers!).

Unity could have been a much more popular game if the sprawl of its content had been pruned down to the best material. Maybe Syndicate will have the necessary restraint.

pacmanate
08-15-2015, 03:52 PM
Yeah that's why I'm hoping there something that they haven't revealed yet that's gonna add so much to the game. I'm hoping that the gangs are a lot more in depth than we first imagined and there's something to do with that working so well in the open world that makes them so confident. Of course it could just be that the story is legendary, but it's kind hard for a writer to judge if their story is good or not. I guess we'll just have o wait and see.

Me too, so far I see the gangs as Assassin recruits, but you can't call them into combat....

SofaJockey
08-15-2015, 04:58 PM
Should I include paid reviews in my estimate? Because I remember Unity getting a couple perfect scores

There is no need to ascribe perfect scores to the unlikely reason of payments.
(If that were true, Ubisoft would surely have bought some more !)

Reviewers like different things, and those reviewers must have really liked it on first play.
One Dutch news site even game it GOTY (http://www.bndestem.nl/algemeen/multimedia/de-beste-games-van-2014-1.4684528)

EmptyCrustacean
08-15-2015, 05:09 PM

The devs were also very positive about Unity showing demo after demo after demo. We got more during Unity's campaign than we did Syndicate. I think they're actually more nervous about Syndicate because they know they're dangling by a very thin thread.

Farlander1991
08-15-2015, 05:54 PM
The devs were also very positive about Unity showing demo after demo after demo. We got more during Unity's campaign than we did Syndicate.

Huh? There were literally like four demos for ACU - the two E3 demos (sp and co-op) and two gamescom demos (Notre Dame assassination and a heist) that were repeated over and over by different publications in some variations. There even was a bit unrest here among the community because there were pretty much no new demos shown and we never really saw anything outside of the Notre Dame area.

The only real difference was the IGN Making Of and some Experience videos (about new engine, customization, and side-missions), which was also advertised in a weird way - there was one IGN and one Experience video released in Summer, and then silence until very close to release. But in ACS' case these kind of videos were replaced to more community-driven - people's reactions from playing the demo, and some in-development videos too. More low-key.

VestigialLlama4
08-15-2015, 07:21 PM
Huh? There were literally like four demos for ACU - the two E3 demos (sp and co-op) and two gamescom demos (Notre Dame assassination and a heist) that were repeated over and over by different publications in some variations. There even was a bit unrest here among the community because there were pretty much no new demos shown and we never really saw anything outside of the Notre Dame area.

Exactly, and the first two E3 demos turned out to be absent from the game final.

As for how it will be rated overall. Obviously you can't tell now, but I think it will be well recieved purely because Ubisoft are doing things right, allowing more fans to play and give them actual feedback and provided they avoid cancelling early reviews like they did for UNITY, maybe they will get a better reception.

king-hailz
08-16-2015, 07:22 AM
I would say around the same as unity... maybe a bit higher and maybe a bit lower. The thing's that people didn't like in unity haven't really been changed and they haven't really added anything revolutionary to it. They haven't taken a risk like with black flag. If we are going on game play alone then this will be in the 70s. However the one thing that I think will determine it's score is if the story is good. If the story is good it will be a bit like revelations.

(Honestly I think revelations is way underrated on Metacritic! And Brotherhood is way overrated... It would make sense for me if brotherhood got AC3s score, AC3 got Revelations score and Revelations got Brotherhoods score.)

rrebe
08-16-2015, 08:46 AM
While I don't know much about Syndicate nor have I been actively searching for new information, I have a fairly good feeling about the game so I'd predict a 75-85 score, maybe even above that, at this point.

Jessigirl2013
08-16-2015, 07:05 PM
Meteoritic? :rolleyes:

I also believe they will do their best within the time constraints to not let any huge bugs go through, but I doubt we will have a bug free game, all ACs always had plenty of bugs on release, just not nearly as much as Unity had.

Damn spellcheck :rolleyes:

I know no game is completely bug free. ;)
But Unity was just an awful mess at launch, and I doubt they want another repeat ;)

dimbismp
08-16-2015, 11:50 PM
I am surprised by the poll results!You guys are alot more optimistic than me :P

Jessigirl2013
08-17-2015, 11:18 AM

With AC games its always best to be optimistic, Just means that if its bad we rage more.;)

BananaBlighter
08-17-2015, 02:58 PM

I'm usually a pessimistic guy but I'm being especially biased seeing as it's Victorian London and I can't imagine this setting getting wasted so I just really really really need it to do well.

pacmanate
08-17-2015, 04:14 PM
I wanna know who voted "85 or above: One of the best AC games ever made,plus one of the best current gen games" and why.

dimbismp
08-17-2015, 04:53 PM
I wanna know who voted "85 or above: One of the best AC games ever made,plus one of the best current gen games" and why.

+1

pacmanate
08-18-2015, 05:09 PM
Come on you 4!

dimbismp
08-18-2015, 06:07 PM
Come on you 4!
@RVSage voted for 85+,because of MAC

Sushiglutton
08-18-2015, 06:54 PM
You need to make your poll public next time dimb so we can spy on are feloow forumers :p

dimbismp
09-16-2015, 08:46 PM
I changed my mind..I predict a metascore of 82/100 :P

EmptyCrustacean
09-18-2015, 05:18 PM
Whoever voted the pink option is a hater lol. It will not be the worst game of all time and will most certainly be better than Unity.

tomenigma
09-19-2015, 02:39 PM
65-75:The game doesn't escape ACU's shadow -> My vote. Although, I love AC universe but new game will have hard time escaping Unity shadow. Additionally, this game will be judged against such marvel like The Witcher which in my opinion is GOTY. I would love Ubisoft to follow steps of CDPR and release all DLCs for free - this alone could bring the value of game up.

I live in Canada and games are now $75-$79 - almost $20 up from last year - what's up with that? I get that US studios are trying to match US dollar currency but *why* Ubisoft is selling ACS for $79.99 (before tax) if there are also based in Canada? Can anyone answer this question.

strigoi1958
09-19-2015, 04:47 PM
92 I think...

BananaBlighter
09-19-2015, 04:56 PM
I'm starting to think about 90 too, though I'm still pretty upset about how easy it seems it's going to be.

dimbismp
09-19-2015, 05:43 PM
I'm starting to think about 90 too, though I'm still pretty upset about how easy it seems it's going to be.

92 I think...
Guys,i think that you are too optimistic...I can't see the game being as successful as the witcher.Let's hope though.

BananaBlighter
09-19-2015, 05:53 PM
Guys,i think that you are too optimistic...I can't see the game being as successful as the witcher.Let's hope though.

If the score does turn out to be around 90, you owe me some cheese, deal?

Senningiri_GR
09-19-2015, 06:16 PM
I think about 74-81

dimbismp
09-19-2015, 06:24 PM
If the score does turn out to be around 90, you owe me some cheese, deal?
Deal ;)

SpiritOfNevaeh
09-20-2015, 09:57 PM
Well, since the guy from Journey is working on it, I'd give it anywhere from 85-95 :rolleyes:

CrossedEagle
09-21-2015, 03:30 AM
I'm feeling it'll be in the 76-82 range. Why those numbers exactly? I don't know.

dimbismp
10-11-2015, 12:15 PM
It is the final countdown guys!The game is less than 2 weeks away,and (hopefully) thr first reviews will be out soon!Post your final predictions about the ACS metascore!

pacmanate
10-11-2015, 12:29 PM
It is the final countdown guys!The game is less than 2 weeks away,and (hopefully) thr first reviews will be out soon!Post your final predictions about the ACS metascore!

I doubt it somehow. Didnt Unity's reviews come out on the day? I think the same will happen with Syndicate and IGN might have a "FIRST" review or whatever a week before for hype purposes.

Metacritic score... 83

EmptyCrustacean
10-11-2015, 12:36 PM
It's a hard one to call. Critics are going to be much harder on Syndicate now.

dimbismp
10-11-2015, 12:44 PM
I doubt it somehow. Didnt Unity's reviews come out on the day? I think the same will happen with Syndicate and IGN might have a "FIRST" review or whatever a week before for hype purposes.

Metacritic score... 83
A few weeks ago you were curious why some people voted for "85 or above".Now,you say "83".What changed? ;)

As for me,i am really torn.At first,i voted for "65-75".Then,i became a little bit more optimistic,hoping for a 80.Now?
Well,it really depends...If the story is great,i can see it getting a 82-83.If it sucks and/or it is really short,the dumb AI,the ubi-type side content etc will drag the game really low,like at 73-74.

dimbismp
10-16-2015, 08:36 PM
Sorry for bumping the thread guys,but we have an update:Reviews will be out just a day before launch.Surely not a positive sign...

Final prediction(i swear):74

Journey93
10-16-2015, 08:43 PM
It's a hard one to call. Critics are going to be much harder on Syndicate now.

Well I certainly hope the critics are harsh especially after the Unity debacle.

cawatrooper9
10-16-2015, 09:00 PM
I'd say above 80 at least

RVSage
10-16-2015, 09:11 PM
Final prediction from me 75-85

BananaBlighter
10-16-2015, 09:20 PM
Final prediction 82

booty_fiend
10-16-2015, 10:02 PM
50 at best