PDA

View Full Version : Do you like the combat?

dimbismp
08-12-2015, 06:45 PM
I believe it is really bad...While the time passed i began to sympathise with most of ACS's features,but i still cannot stomach the new combat

Shahkulu101
08-12-2015, 07:02 PM
I like that it is more fluid and responsive, but the animations just look twitchy and unauthentic which is in stark contrast to the superb animations from the past games - especially AC3.

Namikaze_17
08-12-2015, 07:08 PM
Still looks twitchy and fast as hell, but maybe the rumors of it playing better than it looks are true hopefully - I see improvements with its fluidity, so I'll go with the second option for now.

steveeire
08-12-2015, 07:09 PM
Anything is better than what was in Unity.

LoyalACFan
08-12-2015, 07:15 PM
Playability is everything, of course, so I'm not voting, but it LOOKS horrific. Not just the animations (which suck soooo much) but it also looks like the problem of enemies just waiting patiently while you wail on them is worse than ever.

GunnerGalactico
08-12-2015, 08:52 PM
The animations could still use a lot of tweaking. Jacob looks as if he is sliding towards enemies just as he is about to attack them. The dual counter is the only thing that looks impressive so far.

SpiritOfNevaeh
08-13-2015, 01:42 AM
I'm kinda meh about the combat.

It was too fast paced and choppy when they first introduced the game, but I'm seeing some improvements and the game hasn't been released yet so hopefully it'll change for the better

Alphacos007
08-13-2015, 01:03 PM
I barely used the combat is any games except for the boardings in AC3/4, so I don't really care much. But I do agree that the animations looks way too cartoonish, specially in comparisson with the game's other animations which look fantastic.

pacmanate
08-13-2015, 02:28 PM
I dont understand the whole "works better when you play" argument. It's still going to look crap to me. Regardless of how fluid it is and how it feels, it looks really cartoonish.

The people you hit seem to get lifted off the ground and flail their legs around and the animations are too fast it makes them look twitchy. It is probably the worst looking combat in an AC game, because of how cartoonish it looks.

I'm actually really puzzled by this. You look at the parkour animations and they are really lifelike, they are amazing. Then you contrast it with the combat, its like two different games,

BananaBlighter
08-13-2015, 02:52 PM
Definitely too cartoonish and twitchy. While it seems to be improving it isn't AAA quality and it's kind of sad when contrasted with great parkour animations and combat from the previous games. It definitely seems to play better than Unity in terms of complexity, however it certainly looks far to easy and there aren't enough animations. However what I hate the most is the enemy AI and how they slump really weirdly when stunned.

Altair1789
08-13-2015, 05:49 PM
It kinda looks good but I think it'll be a bad system. It won't be the worst combat, but I hate that they dumped Unity's system instead of giving it the fine tuning it needed

Sushiglutton
08-13-2015, 05:55 PM
It looks odd. Not sure how much and exactly what the player controls yet, so it's a bit hard to tell how it will play. Does seem to me that there's once again too few moves and too much is being handled automatically. Range counter I approve of, haven't seen it too much in action but think I saw it once with the gun and once with the knife and it looked pretty cool.

Also the horrible looking contours around enemies are really disturbing.

It kinda looks good but I think it'll be a bad system. It won't be the worst combat, but I hate that they dumped Unity's system instead of giving it the fine tuning it needed

Isn't the Syndicate combat heavily based on Unity tech at least?

shamanio
08-13-2015, 06:51 PM
It is plays better than it looks, i play it on AC Tour in Moscow - and its really feels more brutal then it looks on videos. I think mostly it feel better becouse of good sounds - in all videos that i see before i'm played Jacobe's demo, it does't not have a clean ingame sounds.

But im agree thats combat system looks strange if compare to Unity's (witch i think was the best).

I'm agree with GunnerGalactico that it looks not real when Jacobe jump(step forward) to enemy than make a hit and then make jump(step) back.
And then the stun enemys - they just stays like zombies up to 4 people and wait when you kill them. I think its work not right.

AquilaTempestas
08-14-2015, 02:17 AM
Combat looks all right. A bit too fast, maybe.

I'm more interested in why the enemies kinda just stand there watching. Too shocked to move? Stunned?

Combat isn't that important to me in an AC game anyway. I trust it'll be fine.

Darkicity
08-15-2015, 01:42 AM
I liked the combat in Unity, didn't miss the melee combat much but glad to see that it is back. It does seem a bit rushed and all that but of course they still have time to polish it a bit. I hope it is better than it loox

Voidrek
08-15-2015, 02:26 AM
I liked that they tried to make the combat more challenging in Unity. Eventually, after enough gear is bought, you basically become unkillable, though, lol. Still, at least they tried something different.

I would have liked to see them take Unity's combat and improve upon it. A couple things that I thought needed improvement in Unity were the following:

1. Responsiveness - There were times in Unity where you would press the attack button and nothing would come out. Same thing would happen where you would try to parry and it wouldn't work. It was like the game didn't realize you were in combat or something. So a definite improvement to responsiveness would be welcome. Also, not allowing you to roll unless you were currently engaged in melee combat made you a sitting duck for gunshots which was pretty dumb.

2. Enemy variety - I really wish they would add some more enemy types and fighting styles. So maybe when you get to harder parts of the city you will start to encounter different types of enemies. Also, if you screw up an assassination mission and come into direct combat with the Templar, it should be a difficult fight. Give some of them unique weapons and moves to give us a little variety in combat. Anything to break up the 3 or 4 generic baddies we fight from beginning to end.

Anyway, regarding ACS combat, I definitely feel like something is off with the animations as others have said. Seems sped up a bit too much, almost as if it's in fast forward. It was actually kind of hilarious watching one of the Evie vids and the Royal Guard kept clubbing Evie upside the head repeatedly with a sped up animation. The kill animations look really awkward as well. Seems like the enemies have no weight to them with their bodies flopping all over the place, lol. A far cry from Unity's pretty smooth animations.

So I am definitely hoping for some improvement in this regard prior to release. I will say I am a bit less down on the game after the Gamescom footage, but I am still not sure I will pick it up at release. Need to see if there is some meaningful side content or if the map is just a bunch of filler. Crossing my fingers.

steveeire
08-15-2015, 02:33 AM
Unity had the worst combat, it was so boring.

itsamea-mario
08-15-2015, 03:37 AM
AC1 had the best combat.
FACT.

Alphacos007
08-15-2015, 03:48 AM
LOL, I remember struggling to go past one of the last assassinations because you were supposed to be caught and a whole lot of guards came attacking you, but you couldn't run, you had to kill the target in the middle of the confusion. Untill I found the Grab > Throw > Hidden Blade "glitch", then I killed everyone without a single issue :p

itsamea-mario
08-15-2015, 04:11 AM
LOL, I remember struggling to go past one of the last assassinations because you were supposed to be caught and a whole lot of guards came attacking you, but you couldn't run, you had to kill the target in the middle of the confusion. Untill I found the Grab > Throw > Hidden Blade "glitch", then I killed everyone without a single issue :p

If it's the one were it's Maria pretending to be Robert De Sable, you can kinda run, most of the times i did it i ran through the city then fought them a bit then ran some more till i'd picked them all off.

But i do genuinely like AC1's combat, it felt like it had more weight to it, each blow felt substantial, the animations weren't ridiculous and the blood effects were the best they've been for lot of the games.
a lot of the games that followed, the combat didn't really feel as intense, like you're just watching a guy effortlessly fly through a hundred enemies while you tap attack. I doesn't really feel like anything's happening.

Darkicity
08-15-2015, 04:15 AM
Unity had the worst combat, it was so boring.

Just because you probably sucked at it doesn't mean it sux

itsamea-mario
08-15-2015, 04:20 AM

Yes it does.

Shahkulu101
08-15-2015, 04:40 AM
I actually think you'd like ACU's combat Mario.

It's reminiscent of AC1's combat with the light and fast attacks, only a lot harder. It's really not like past games, you don't just cut down enemies at will. When they said 3 or more enemies would provide a tough challenge, they weren't kidding. Even with all the upgrades it's quite tense. It's the only combat system that gives a point to using stealth. Only annoying thing is that enemies use guns all the time which breaks the flow.

itsamea-mario
08-15-2015, 04:50 AM
I actually think you'd like ACU's combat Mario.

It's reminiscent of AC1's combat with the light and fast attacks, only a lot harder. It's really not like past games, you don't just cut down enemies at will. When they said 3 or more enemies would provide a tough challenge, they weren't kidding. Even with all the upgrades it's quite tense. It's the only combat system that gives a point to using stealth. Only annoying thing is that enemies use guns all the time which breaks the flow.

I do remember thinking the combat looked pretty good when the first batch of gameplay videos came out.
However, playing it would require me actually getting Unity, something i am not prepare to o.

Shahkulu101
08-15-2015, 04:58 AM
I do remember thinking the combat looked pretty good when the first batch of gameplay videos came out.
However, playing it would require me actually getting Unity, something i am not prepare to o.

You should get it when it's like 5. The game is a mess but does some nice things, a few of the assassination missions are really good. Gameplay wise it's the closest to AC1 yet, pleasantly there's little handholding and the game lets you figure out things yourself more often. We won't get another game like it again. Syndicate looks to have returned to the passive combat of previous games and has invisibly options and insta-kill bombs.

Also post patch 1526272836627 the game isn't buggy, runs like arse but no big technical glitches like at release.

Wolfmeister1010
08-15-2015, 05:49 AM
Those poll results though.

steveeire
08-15-2015, 08:45 AM

Who said I sucked at it? all I said was that it was boring, it a very distinct lack of fun.

rrebe
08-15-2015, 09:29 AM
Combat in Syndicate looks fine to me, so far. I won't make my final opinion until I have actually tried it myself to get how the combat feels.

I like the combat in Unity, it was more than just clicking one button (which gets really boring really fast), you actually had to think ahead a little to survive. It also looked pretty nice.

Darkicity
08-16-2015, 04:01 AM
Who said I sucked at it? all I said was that it was boring, it a very distinct lack of fun.

You know what would make it seem not fun? You dying a lot, just saying.

steveeire
08-16-2015, 11:04 AM
and who said I died a lot? the combat is easy its just not fun.

pacmanate
08-16-2015, 12:35 PM
I thought the Unity combat was good and bad. Good because I wasn't a one man army, bad because it took too long to kill. Brotherhood still has my favourite combat even though its really easy, I just loved the chain kill animations

SofaJockey
08-16-2015, 01:39 PM
It feels much better, controller in hand, than it does viewing combat in a gameplay clip.

Sorrosyss
08-17-2015, 12:49 PM
I thought the Unity combat was good and bad. Good because I wasn't a one man army, bad because it took too long to kill. Brotherhood still has my favourite combat even though its really easy, I just loved the chain kill animations

100% agree on Brotherhood. Still the best combat the series has ever had imo.

I'm still meh, about the animations. When everything else looks fairly realistic, they still look ridiculous. I suppose there is still time till launch to modify them, but if it plays better with the speed... we'll see I guess.

THE_JOKE_KING33
08-21-2015, 01:52 PM
Anything is better than what was in Unity.

Pretty much how I feel. i can deal with the twitchiness of the animations as long as it's actually fun.

EmptyCrustacean
08-21-2015, 03:12 PM
Brotherhood was my fave combat but Unity was also very good and a step in the right direction. I maintain that the best part of Unity is the first few hours where stealth is imperative because the combat doesn't yet much harder than that point. The problem with Unity is that the combat animation was buggy and too slow. Yes, it's more realistic but it dragged. Arno took forever to execute to a single thrust. With Syndicate they've overcompensated for that but it looks goofy.

VoldR
08-21-2015, 03:48 PM
If it's the one were it's Maria pretending to be Robert De Sable, you can kinda run, most of the times i did it i ran through the city then fought them a bit then ran some more till i'd picked them all off.

I like to swap between weapons for fun and to add diversity in my video.
If I want to handle them easily, I'd just use the hidden blades.

It's Insta kill, no matter what type of enemy even armoured dude in AC1 or 2. They instantly die when u counter. Boss included.

I took out all the phantoms and AlMualim in one strike with hidden blades.

Other weapons, u need to injure them first before u can kill via counter.

AC3 stop hidden blades being able to Insta kill by making some classes (scout, brute, captains) able to counter ur counters...

AC - I like the Insta kill via hidden blades (also in AC2-revelations)
Revelations just added two steps when dealing with Janissaries like breaking their armour first, similar to fighting Cesare Borgia.

AC 2+ - love using head, leg or fist to hit when grabbing someone.
Throwing dust for Insta takedown.
More horse combat features.
Crossbow counters
Hookblades zip lines
Chain kills

AC 3 - nice new animations
Dual counters
High profile takedowns
New gadgets and counters
Air assassinate with any weapons
Corner takedowns
Parkour moves and transition through buildings (Insta incognito when u do that)

AC L - different outfits for different skills

AC 4 - 6x guns
Naval combat features

AC R - more parkour moves

AC U - new combat rules & animations
Descending from structures

EmptyCrustacean
08-21-2015, 05:10 PM
Also wanted to add that I hope the one man army hasn't returned. It would be a step backwards to reduce the difficulty when they got the balance just right. At least make combat harder for Evie since she is more stealth orientated.

BananaBlighter
08-21-2015, 05:26 PM
Also wanted to add that I hope the one man army hasn't returned. It would be a step backwards to reduce the difficulty when they got the balance just right. At least make combat harder for Evie since she is more stealth orientated.

Close quarters combat seems very easy now, especially if you quickly stun everybody and then do a multi finisher. Also, with the voltaic bombs not doing any damage to the player, spamming them in a fight quickly takes out everybody nearby. The only reason I would say the combat would get difficult with too many people is that enemies seem to like shooting you more now when you aren't paying attention to them (beating up their buddy instead).

However what worries me more is that stealth has become so easy it is now practically non-existant , so I feel as if I can't really be bothered with it anymore and might just charge through all the stealth missions.