PDA

View Full Version : Who Else Played Unity In French?

Darkicity
08-11-2015, 06:58 AM
I felt like the perfect English accents ultimately ruined the ambience of the game so much so that I played the whole game in French. Who else did this, just wondering?

Codarsnacht
08-11-2015, 12:26 PM
I did for half of my second playthrough. What annoyed me most about the thick English accents was that they could be heard when walking around the city, along with snippets of French, and it just killed the immersion.

I did not mind the English too much during the cutscenes as I wanted to focus on the visual, and for me, reading subtitles is a huge distraction from what's actually happening on screen. That's ultimately the reason why I reverted to playing in English during the 2nd half of my 2nd playthrough because I felt I was missing too much of the scenes - the expression on the characters' faces etc... I know some people can read AND see the characters, but I couldn't ;P

Altair1789
08-11-2015, 02:22 PM
I didn't, but Matknappers made what I thought it would've been like if I had

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEvXxG6cu-8

pacmanate
08-11-2015, 02:48 PM
"and Arno, if I die it's all your fault" Hahahaha.

SixKeys
08-11-2015, 05:29 PM

These vids still crack me up.

EmptyCrustacean
08-11-2015, 08:21 PM
I was very tempted to but then I thought I should play as the makers intended. If I ever did a second playthrough (which I'd never do since I'm not a masochist) then I'd most certainly play it in French. The English accents ruined it for me and is partly why i can't get too excited about the London setting for Syndicate.

Darkicity
08-11-2015, 08:47 PM
Hahaha!! That video was hilarious. And I also understand that about not being to look at the visual and read the subtitles as well. I guess I didn't have this problem since I know French but I was actually surprised that the French voice acting was superb! One doesn't even notice that the lip sync is syned to the English language and not French. But seriously, why didn't they go with English spoken in French accents, it's not that hard!

Xstantin
08-11-2015, 09:25 PM
Elise's voiceacting bothered me a bit so I switched to French for my second playthrough.

Farlander1991
08-11-2015, 09:57 PM
I'm probably one of the few people here who actually doesn't mind the absence of French accents (I also think that the quality of voice acting itself is on a pretty high level, those are some fine actors doing a good job), so no, I didn't play Unity in French nor do I plan to.

I also don't find that video funny (sorry, Matknappers), but, hey, people seem to dig it so good for them and the creator :)

Namikaze_17
08-11-2015, 10:26 PM

Still a classic.

Codarsnacht
08-11-2015, 10:42 PM
Lol, I never found those videos funny either. Kind of a poor attempt at copying Gamerpoop, tbh.

OFFTOPIC:

I'm probably one of the few people here who actually doesn't mind the absence of French accents (I also think that the quality of voice acting itself is on a pretty high level, those are some fine actors doing a good job), so no, I didn't play Unity in French nor do I plan to.

I agree with you for the most part, but my GOD is Élise's voice actor confusing. She is definitely not English. If she is, I don't understand why she is putting on such a silly accent. I think she is great as a character and her voice actor was great at showing emotion etc etc - but please! Ubisoft, hire people who are native speakers of the language the characters are speaking. It's so distracting.

LoyalACFan
08-12-2015, 12:54 PM
Yes, I played it in French, with a baguette in my arms, a cigarette in my mouth, and a white flag at the ready :rolleyes::p

UbiJustin
08-12-2015, 10:14 PM
I played in French on my playthrough on PC. I was re-learning French at the time, so it helped to immerse myself in the language.

I believe UbiGabe said he used to play AC II in Italian. BENE!

Darkicity
08-12-2015, 11:05 PM
I played in French on my playthrough on PC. I was re-learning French at the time, so it helped to immerse myself in the language.

I believe UbiGabe said he used to play AC II in Italian. BENE!

Same here mon fratello, on both things. I played AC2 and Brotherhood in Italian to feel more immersed in it and I picked up a lot of Italian which made me seem advanced when I took an Italian class last semester at my college haha. The English in AC2 and Brotherhood were good though but I just prefer for the game to be as authentic as possible.