PDA

View Full Version : Sages, Twins, and the Father of Understanding - All Wrapped in a Shroud? (spoilers)

Sorrosyss
08-08-2015, 03:55 PM
There was a Q&A on twitter today, where it was confirmed that the Shroud of Eden is a major part of the story to Syndicate.

What piece of eden we going to see in Syndicate ??

The Shroud of Eden. Don't want to spoil too much, but it's a big part of the game!

I know I've already done a similar thread about this, but I'd really like to try and make a cohesive theory out of this, that covers the three timelines. (Well, kind of cohesive...)

First of all, the Shroud of Eden

http://i.imgur.com/ClWRdb6.jpg

Based on the real life Shroud of Turin, the Shroud of Eden is a Piece of Eden created by the First Civilization.

To cite the AC Wiki;

The Shroud was described as a white cloth stained with blood, which was usually kept in a simple wooden box. The shape of a seemingly tortured man was also burned onto its surface, positioned with arms to his sides and palms forward. However, Church records noted that the man's visage changed multiple times throughout history.

The Shroud was used to heal minor injuries and wounds, and even birth defects. There was some evidence that it could partially revive people from death, but that it invariably did not fully work.

Flash forward to the events of 1868, in AC Syndicate, we see both the Assassins and the Templars are now aware that the Shroud is in London, and are seeking it out. The motivation for the Assassins, and namely the Frye twins is pretty obvious. We already know that their father died shortly before they ventured to London, so to hear that there is a possibility to revive their father they would turn London upside down to find it.

But what of the Templars? Well apart from wanting power, as they always do, the Shroud has another facet that interests them.

The Father of Understanding

http://i.imgur.com/NMjEXtb.jpg

The Shroud would also 'speak'. An ethereal male voice would offer healing to people, and to connect with its power. Whatever we know to be true of the Father of Understanding, be it that it is Juno, Aita, Baphomet, or purely an ideal - here we have a voice from the beyond that appears to offer guidance to us mere mortals. Through fables and heresay, the Templars could quite easily have got hold of the notion that this object offers a direct link to their legendary leader.

In truth, the Shroud offers communication to an individual known as Consus. He was a member of the First Civilization, and we know from Project Legacy that he would appear to Giovanni Borgia as an apparent physical form of a bearded man. Giovanni had been in contact with the Shroud since child birth, and over time began to also exhibit symptoms of the Bleeding Effect, and indeed the memories of those who had touched the Shroud before. Which then begs the question...

Sages

http://i.imgur.com/4Ee0p7M.png

What would happen if a Sage were to touch the Shroud? The Sage plotline has been running since AC4 now, so it feels pretty obvious that another would feature within Syndicate. If a Sage were to touch the object, would it attempt to repair the First Civilization DNA present? Would the original entity take hold? We could potentially have a fully realized Aita running around Victorian London.

Or we take it a step further. Some people have suggested that Minerva, whom knew all about Aita and the methods being used on him, may have foreseen the trouble that Juno was to bring, and somehow coerced Eve (maybe Adam too) to use the device as well in order to one day take the fight to Juno. The Eve plotline has been lying under the surface for so long now, with declarations that Eve shall lead us, that she holds the key to Eden, and even the Lady Eve from Dead Kings. Given the similarity with Evie's name, what would happen if when she comes into contact with the Shroud, a dormant version of Eve were to take hold of her?

If we look at the three time lines we see another theme running. That of...

Twins

http://i.imgur.com/Mb9smv1.png

What if Twins have a higher proportion of First Civilization DNA? It's entirely possible, that these rare and unique individuals are the ones that carry the sage like entities of Adam and Eve. But look at the themes at work here. Even the latest trailer tries to push through the idea of "For Family".

Now look at the modern day. What do we have here? Oh look. Another twin. Galina Voronina had a twin sister. We know from Initiates that her sister died recently, and that she has now become acquainted with William Miles. It would not be a stretch for William to be looking for the Shroud to try and find a way to revive his son, Desmond. Galina would quite easily be convinced to go seeking out this Shroud for the very same reason to see her sister again. As a twin, would Galina then be subjected to unlocking Eve within her DNA as well? In doing so, Eve would finally re-emerge to lead us against the soon to be reborn Juno - via the Phoenix Project.

This all would tie back to the time of the First Civilization, and whilst they are not traditionally what we would now term as 'twins', Adam and Eve were both created at the same time by the same parent - the First Civilization.

http://i.imgur.com/TwPHhLE.png

The three timelines of Syndicate have the repeating theme of family, twins, and rebirth. In my mind, it is all wrapped up in the Shroud of Eden.

Namikaze_17
08-08-2015, 04:03 PM
Good post. :)

But didn't the twins' father die naturally? Wouldn't it be kinda dumb for them to set out and do that when fate was the killer? :rolleyes:

I would miss my parent too, but if it happened, it happened.

EDIT: Still not too keen with the "father of understanding" being an actual being.

It was badass with it being a drive ( or ideal) that kept the Templars going like the Assassins and their Creed.

Sorrosyss
08-08-2015, 05:00 PM
But didn't the twins' father die naturally? Wouldn't it be kinda dumb for them to set out and do that when fate was the killer? :rolleyes:

I would miss my parent too, but if it happened, it happened.

EDIT: Still not too keen with the "father of understanding" being an actual being.

It was badass with it being a drive ( or ideal) that kept the Templars going like the Assassins and their Creed.

True, their father supposedly does die of natural causes. But then if some report about the Shroud dangled in front of them tells of how it can heal and revive someone, I imagine their grief would push them on to find it.

As for the Father, I'm not saying it is Consus. Just that certain individuals in the Templar order would tie the legend to the voice etc. It is more likely a complete coincidence, but it wouldn't stop the fanatical types who were convinced it is the Father from seeking it out either, and in doing so pushing on the lie about it being the Father.

But it's all theory. A game theory. :D

Namikaze_17
08-08-2015, 05:16 PM
True, their father supposedly does die of natural causes. But then if some report about the Shroud dangled in front of them tells of how it can heal and revive someone, I imagine their grief would push them on to find it.

If this was Arno, I would agree( though none of his loved ones died of natural causes).

The twins' case is different as I'd like to think they've gotten past it over time - leaving the shroud relating to MD most likely.

Though, I'm not going to completely dismiss it as there perhaps is some hidden grief with one or both of the twins.

As for the Father, I'm not saying it is Consus. Just that certain individuals in the Templar order would tie the legend to the voice etc. It is more likely a complete coincidence, but it wouldn't stop the fanatical types who were convinced it is the Father from seeking it out either, and in doing so pushing on the lie about it being the Father.

But it's all theory. A game theory. :D

Seeking it out could be interesting... maybe I need to see more to get my mind straight on it ( if that happens, that is).

But a nice theory nonetheless.

Shahkulu101
08-08-2015, 05:45 PM
Well thought out but I hope your wrong about Jake and Evie trying to revive their dad.

No more stories focused on dead relatives, please.

VestigialLlama4
08-08-2015, 07:03 PM
The fact that the Shroud of Eden is in the Tower of London apparently suggests that it could tie to the ghost stories that is associated with the place.

As for the Sage. I am quite sure I know who its going to be. The Sages that we have met before are associated with invidivuals who create a new code and order, or who assert power by texts. Whether its Jacques de Molay and his Codex, whether its Thom Kavanagh and his Letters, Black Bart and his 12 Articles, and Germain and Molay's book. As well as John from IT and the Instruments of First Well.

The Sage is Karl Marx. Author of Das Kapital. Part 1 of that book was published in the year of 1867. There's no documented instance of Marx having heterochromia but I can't find references to his eye colour. But facially he looks like he can be a Sage. The trailers have many hints that Marx will be in the game. You had the shot of the British museum in the launch trailer, the quasi Marxist quotations in general.

RA503
08-08-2015, 07:52 PM
Now remembering my theory that the final battle of the game will be Jacob possesed by Consus (The Father) vs Evie possesed by Eve.

Or both brothers vs Consus Marx.

SirTookTookIII
08-08-2015, 08:24 PM
Am identicle twin, can confirm eagle vision.

My theory is that Jacob will die and Evie is desperate to find the shroud to revive him, maybe use the Koh-I-Noor to use it to its full potential, as we know the last time the Assassins used it on Brutus it did not work.

Ichrukia56
08-09-2015, 05:12 AM
@ Sorrosyss Very interesting theory i my self have been think that Adam and Eve were twins although do think that it is a bit strange that Ubisoft would go down the road of insect but that might explain Cain's story in the AC lore

Sorrosyss
08-17-2015, 01:01 PM
@ Sorrosyss Very interesting theory i my self have been think that Adam and Eve were twins although do think that it is a bit strange that Ubisoft would go down the road of insect but that might explain Cain's story in the AC lore

Yeah, as I said though, they are not traditionally 'twins' - just born at the same time. I don't really want to get into the debate of whether thats incest or not. lol

Bear in mind though, not all humanity came from the two of them. In the AC universe, they were considered the first of the 'freed humans'. In the truth video, we can even see other humans, so it is entirely possible that humanity carried on from the standard humans already in existence.

The hybrids, and indeed any offspring of human/first civ relations, would be the ones carrying the DNA, and eagle vision etc through the ages. Hence why they are arguably relatively rare, and in the case of twins - even more so. As such, the twin theory could hold as to why we have heard so little of Eve.

When Galina was unveiled they made a point of stating that she was a twin. At the time I think many of us glossed over it. Now it kind of offers an interesting dimension, especially given that she has so far been seemingly immune to the maddening side effects of the Bleeding Effect.

ze_topazio
08-17-2015, 01:20 PM

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2011/10/30/1226180/586211-insect.jpg

Jessigirl2013
08-19-2015, 01:08 PM
HAHA:cool:

That comment....
I laughed at that for too long.