PDA

View Full Version : Capes

Thodoras10
08-07-2015, 05:40 PM
Hey guys, it would be nice if we had capes in the game and it would also be nice if we were able to customise those capes. Capes wont give any bonuses they are 100% cosmetic.

MisterWillow
08-07-2015, 11:49 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz3yhfWC7a1r0voa9.gif

(sorry, couldn't resist :p)

In all seriousness... maybe?

On the one hand, a cape would be largely impractical in a fight. While it could be used to feint or obscure attacks, it would be more of an overall liability, as it could be caught and tugged by your opponent (especially one behind you, which you might not be aware of), choking you, flooring you, blinding you be being thrown over your head; it could be caught by the wind, or other happenstance, and thrown over your head in the same way; depending on its length, it could be stepped on---by you or someone else---or wrap itself around your leg, tripping you.

On the other hand, most of those circumstances are not very likely to be accounted for in the game, and capes look cool, they feel cool, and could therefore affect your confidence.

On the other-other hand, this might be applicable to only two of the factions, as samurai aren't well known for wearing capes or cloaks. The only thing close to them are horo, which was a bag-like apparatus that would catch the wind and balloon while riding a horse. Their size, however, I think would obscure your character (and possibly your opponent) too much for them to be a practical addition.

http://tac-ellas.webs.com/horopic.jpg

Maybe the Chosen could use the various battle-flags samurai would wear into battle (sashimono, nobori, etc.). Also, the Legion appear to be wearing half-tabards on their backs (and a full tabard ), which seem to be customisable with colour/patterns/emblems. And the Warborn... well, we know next to nothing about the warborn, but my guess is they don't need any stinking capes, and would rather charge into battle bare-chested (or maybe that's a holdover from the other thread about expansions, and I'm still fixated on Celts). ;)

Thodoras10
08-08-2015, 04:10 AM
Look dude i know that you are so ****ing into the immersion/realism thing but godamnit this once put it aside and see the cosmetic side of things a cape is an awesome add cause it looks super bad-***. Now you know me better than anyone in this forum and you know that i love cosmetic adds. And i am not talking about huge capes, besides we have seen the gameplay trailer and there is no single animation that could be ruined by the cape as the player wont do any spins aside from executions which are post-battle and wont cause any disturbances. Also i doubt that it will be caught by the wind and block your entire view it can be programed not to ****ing anoy players and to mostly stay down, but not interely down for it must have some inclince or else its not a cape.

P.S For ****s sake confidence is the player's problem not the cape's

LOOV YOU MATE :D

MisterWillow
08-08-2015, 05:28 AM
:eek: Went a bit heavy on the rebuttal, didn't you.

Firstly, most of the attention I paid to 'immersion'realism' to this specifically is in regard to how practical an accoutrement is to a soldier, and a cape is moderately-to-severely impractical in a melee.

Second, I acknowledged that most of the reasons for a cape to be impractical in real life needn't be accounted for in the game, so calm down a bit.

Third, the Warden spins when doing a follow-up, overhead heavy attack, and at least once while engaging mobs, and we haven't seen any of the other classes' move-sets, so we don't know how much spinning is involved there (I'm hoping for the same level of the Warden).

Fourth, I'm not aware of how large a cape you'd wanted. Would you like ankle-length, knee-length, waist length? What's wrong with the tabards on the Legion?

Fifth, there are reasons practical to the game itself that it might not be possible, or even desirable. Should it waft as you move, run, and dodge? If so, how much? Should it have free-reign to create a tent while sprinting, or be partially plastered to your character? Should it interact with objects like doorways, or other players? Should it crumple when it hits all the AI people when you're in the middle of the mob, or pass right through them? The former sounds like a programming nightmare, and the latter would probably upset people for looking cheap and/or breaking immersion.

It also appears to only apply to two factions. At least with knights and vikings, you can say it's part of their mythological image to be cloaked, dashingly, heroically, with shield and sword and whatnot. When people think of samurai, they generally don't picture them wearing a cape while in combat, if they do at all.

Finally, confidence is tied in with appearance, at least to a small degree. That's at least part of the the reason people love customisation. If you look good, you feel good, and if you feel good, you act more confidently. If you think you look ridiculous---unless your purpose in customising your avatar is to make them ridiculous---you're less likely to be focused on what you're doing.

Ant Heuser Kush
08-08-2015, 06:11 AM
+1

naphack
08-08-2015, 08:33 AM
:eek: Went a bit heavy on the rebuttal, didn't you.

Third, the Warden spins when doing a follow-up, overhead heavy attack, and at least once while engaging mobs, and we haven't seen any of the other classes' move-sets, so we don't know how much spinning is involved there (I'm hoping for the same level of the Warden).

Why do you hope for spinning to be on the same level as the warden? care to elaborate?
As far as I am concerned, the less in game characters turn their backs on their opponent, the better.

On topic: I'm not all that hot for capes. They don't really make sense from a practical point of view.
Let's put it differently: A cape serves no purpose in actual combat, but it can hinder you, so why would you wear it, when you are storming a castle? It's something you wear, when you are more worried about the weather than about the enemy. Bashing open the gates of a castle and storming in certainly isn't a situation, where the weather is of a lot of concern to you. You will be sweating enough from the exercise even without that rag covering your back.

MisterWillow
08-08-2015, 09:54 AM
Why do you hope for spinning to be on the same level as the warden? care to elaborate?
As far as I am concerned, the less in game characters turn their backs on their opponent, the better.

I elaborated over here (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1212665-Get-Rid-of-Spinning) about as much as I could. Basically, a spin in combat isn't a death sentence---in reality, they happen too fast for an opponent to capitalize all that much, if at all---and could even be useful under the proper (albeit extremely rare) circumstances. Otherwise, in the context of this being a video game not attempting to be a full-on simulation, I would expect at least a little pizzazz here and there. The Warden showed off two instances of spinning (one of which is an execution) and that's it, which is more than enough flourish to gain a couple of 'cool' points. Any more than that for any given class would be superfluous, though.

naphack
08-08-2015, 10:07 AM
The big thing about spins is that they aren't something, you plan on. You don't initiate a fight with a spinning attack, which is why having spins as stock moves is stupid.
Spinning to make up for mistakes is another story. If you over-swing, you are pretty much forced into a spin. Getting sidestepped is pretty much the same as over-swinging. But spinning without any momentum after having your attack parried, like we see in that warden scene is kind of stupid.

MisterWillow
08-08-2015, 10:34 AM
The big thing about spins is that they aren't something, you plan on. You don't initiate a fight with a spinning attack, which is why having spins as stock moves is stupid.
Spinning to make up for mistakes is another story. If you over-swing, you are pretty much forced into a spin. Getting sidestepped is pretty much the same as over-swinging. But spinning without any momentum after having your attack parried, like we see in that warden scene is kind of stupid.

I agree, but the spin wasn't the initial attack. It was the follow-up attack, after he hit his opponent. I watched both the gameplay videos again, and neither involved the initial attack being blocked, which at least makes a little bit of sense.

I don't want to derail this thread any more than it is with this, so if you'd like to discuss it further, reply to me on the thread about spinning I linked in my last post.

Thodoras10
08-08-2015, 06:31 PM
I cant believe that my cape thread turned into a spin fanatic lodge :D look dudes i will be short on this one. I prersonally dont like spins mostly because they remind me of fantasy games that aren't realistic at all. I want to see capes in the game that arent really big and if confidence makes you play better then so be it you cant change that and if you for instance think that you dont look badass with a cape you can switch it off either way a cape is a pretty nice add for this game and surely many people want it. Also as i have told you before you know me better than anyone here and you know that i like cosmetic adds so please for this once mate agree with the cosmetic side of things and not with the practicity or their implementation in the game. Lastly Mister Willow this one's for you: "It is hard to win an arguement with a smart person, but it is damn near impossible to win an arguement with and idiot" I want you to think on these words and then answer. :D

MisterWillow
08-08-2015, 08:19 PM
I prersonally dont like spins mostly because they remind me of fantasy games that aren't realistic at all.

Now look who's all about immersion/realism. :p

I want to see capes in the game that arent really big and if confidence makes you play better then so be it you cant change that and if you for instance think that you dont look badass with a cape you can switch it off either way a cape is a pretty nice add for this game and surely many people want it.

Right, but how big is "not really big"? I'm pretty sure you don't want, say, Batman capes that billow if a light breeze touches them, but what is your criteria? Is it knee length? Waist length? Does it cover your shoulders and/or drape across your chest, or is it pinned to your pauldron/breastplate/gorget?

Also as i have told you before you know me better than anyone here and you know that i like cosmetic adds so please for this once mate agree with the cosmetic side of things and not with the practicity or their implementation in the game.

You say that as if I'm working on the game, which I'm not.

Truthfully, I'm indifferent. I agree they look cool (because, of course they do), and if they are present, I'm not going to get upset or anything because "that's not practical"; and if they aren't present, I'll just think "so they went realistic with that decision".

However, there are technical aspects that really have to be taken into consideration. If you're wearing a cape and it's clipping through everything, people will complain, and if they have to engineer cloth physics that behave realistically, it could add time to production (that's assuming they don't already have said physics; the tabards looked pretty good).

Thodoras10
08-08-2015, 08:53 PM
I am not that into realism but i want a little bit of everything :P and mate when i said that you know me better than anyone i meant that you know what i support and like :D.

MisterWillow
08-08-2015, 10:00 PM
I am not that into realism but i want a little bit of everything :P and mate when i said that you know me better than anyone i meant that you know what i support and like :D.

Yes, I understood that.

By "You say that as if I'm working on the game, which I'm not", I was referring specifically to:

Also as i have told you before you know me better than anyone here and you know that i like cosmetic adds so please for this once mate agree with the cosmetic side of things and not with the practicity or their implementation in the game.

Should've bolded in the other post.

Thodoras10
08-08-2015, 10:20 PM
Anyways :P

Solid_Altair
08-09-2015, 05:41 AM
I like moving things. I don't want a big common cape hiding most of my character, though. It may even get a bit in the way of the AoB system. And even if it doesn't, capes suck when they hide too much of the animations.

So, I'd like stylized capes, shorter, sideways, etc. And if those end up too unrealistic, then I'd prefer having no capes at all.

I like that piece of armor hanging about the Oni's back. That quenches my thirst for movement quite well.

Thodoras10
08-09-2015, 06:49 AM
Let me get some things in order here. I never asked anyone if they like capes or not i asked people if they want to have the option to add capes if anyone wants them, i never told anyone to forcibly like capes, i just want to have capes for the people out there who want to have capes in the game.

Shuai8297
08-09-2015, 02:56 PM
As long as there is minimal clipping and they don't look like a two by four nailed to your back, I'm in favor of them. However, when it comes to "dramatic" visual add-ons such as capes, I believe they should be a choice between two or more "non-cape" options, rather than a blunt *cape or no cape*. This ensures that not every player and their mother runs around with capes and also encourages players to make aesthetic choices based on what looks good on their character, rather than just checking all of the checkboxes.

Havemercy87
08-10-2015, 12:56 AM
As long as there is minimal clipping and they don't look like a two by four nailed to your back, I'm in favor of them. However, when it comes to "dramatic" visual add-ons such as capes, I believe they should be a choice between two or more "non-cape" options, rather than a blunt *cape or no cape*. This ensures that not every player and their mother runs around with capes and also encourages players to make aesthetic choices based on what looks good on their character, rather than just checking all of the checkboxes.

I agree with this^^
For a cape to be a cosmetic option would be fine with me. "If" they put them in-game I'd like to see at least 2 options, full-length(ankle length) or a half cape(thigh or waist length).

Really I'm indifferent as well, if they are, they are. If their not, their not. But if the capes are going to fly through ppl I'm not putting one on cuz they would be lame.

Zercon.
08-17-2015, 02:56 AM
do not care if capes are in or out this is not an open world so no one will see the guild colors on the cape

Warphorntek
08-18-2015, 02:25 AM
Capes maybe for specific class.