PDA

View Full Version : August Featured Builder: SwampBalls

RetiredRonin
08-06-2015, 02:24 PM
This week we’re having a conversation with a builder that we’ve all been able to see grow from noobness to greatness in the span of just over a year. A meteoric rise in skills that has left more than a few of us in stunned reverence at one of the fastest learners we have had the pleasure of playing tracks from.

The one, and the only, Mr. Swampballs.

http://static9.cdn.ubi.com/resource/en-GB/game/featured_news_213349.jpg

I was out of the office during the course of this interview, but it has been expertly handled by the Shogun. Let’s all read together, and then give the Swampy one a round for having some pretty darned amazing skills.

Name: Danny Lippard
Platform: PS4. I never had an Xbox, I have always been a Playstation fan.
First Trials game: Fusion. My wife gave it to me for my birthday last year, and she also encouraged me to start building tracks.

http://static9.cdn.ubi.com/resource/en-GB/game/trials/portal/featured_danny_213398.jpg

Besides Trials, what do you do?
I play drums, and ride my bike. I really enjoy programming, and building tracks, so that’s my main hobby right now.

What track that you have built is your favorite?
It’s a toss-up between Alien Assault and Vector Variations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtp4oft2Ujg

What about tracks from other community members?
funktastic- is one of my favorite builders. He inspires me with his amazing track designs. KALzzone8 has some amazing tracks. "Tore Kong" got me wanting to have a story in my tracks. SORA_no_AKANE’s “-Runaway-“, FG-312’s "Old Train Station", koumick95’s "Old Road of the Temple”, Fluffy Princess’s "Christmas Carnival" , ObsceneFreak's “-OF- Galactic Logistics”, AchillesWing’s "Childs Play 4: Apartment”, VEGASTRASH01’s "Slippery When Wet” … there are so many great tracks out there. All of the Fusion Community tracks, of course… other builders I like are killthewicked, MeGaShEd, GUS2128, Im_Wizolo… the list goes on and on...

I've enjoyed watching your progression as a builder. You’ve shown clear signs of greatness early on and quickly fulfilled those expectations. We could see how each track was improving upon your previous releases, and adding something new to your box of tricks. Please, give us some insight into how you worked to improve your skills in the editor. (Shogun)
Well, first off, I would like to say that I think the editor is Amazing! I have some programming experience, and I know how insane the math is that goes into Trials, so you guys have my utmost respect. I would also like to say thanks for picking me. It’s honor to be recognized as a builder. As far as learning, I was actually at a point in my life that I was bored with everything when I got Trials Fusion. I enjoy my work, (I’m a freelance developer, I build Flash games and advertising banners) but I wanted a challenge. My wife suggested I try to build a track, but I was lost at first. After some research, I found the Evolution tutorials on YouTube, done by you, Shogun, actually. I was hooked after that.

I had all these ideas for tracks, and I needed to learn how to program everything I wanted to do in my tracks. My Flash experience really helped me, and everything got easier to do eventually. After you start to think in that way, you can figure other things out. I think the best way to improve is to play around in the editor and see what works and what doesn’t. I still have a lot to learn.

I started doing tutorials because I got a question on how to make a door open, so I decided to start making them after that. I know there are other tutorial makers, and I think that’s cool because there are so many different ways to do things in the editor, you can learn a lot from other people. I know PneumaticBog484 makes great tutorials also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU5LhWyei5k

Ready for a multi-part question? Can you describe how you approach track making? How do you develop an idea? How do you get started? How to you execute that in the editor? Are there any particular aspects of building you focus on first?

In your tutorials, you said, build what you like to ride, so that’s what I do. I grew up riding BMX, and dirt bikes. My best friend had a Hodaka 100, and we tore it up on that thing. I had a BMX track in my back yard, and we were constantly digging at the jumps trying to get more air. I use all that when I make tracks. I try to think of something I have never ridden on, and try to build that. I also try to think of a story, it usually isn’t that deep, but I try to have something. I also enjoy trying to make something funny. I have a great time animating the rider at the end of my tracks.

Getting started is usually laying down a driveline. When I first started playing Trials, I was frustrated with how many hard and extreme tracks there were on TC. All these amazing designs, and I could not make it through them. I decided to start making easy tracks then. I wanted the noobs to have a good time too. I really dig tracks that don’t have what I call “dirty tricks”, which are random objects that trip you up and kill your speed. I always wanted my tracks to have a smooth, flowing driveline. Executing ideas in the editor is the most challenging part. Sometimes I get what I want in the end, and sometimes I discover cooler things as I go along. It’s all down to playing around and seeing what works.

As far as decorating, I feel like I am okay at some stuff and suck at other stuff. I try to build something new in each track to learn sculpting along with the programming. I think overall I try to do things that know are not the normal way to do them. I try to think of things in a different manner, and try to build tracks that I have never seen.

If I have an idea for an ending, I will try to build the driveline to match that ending. Decorating is easier if I have an idea of the theme from figuring out the ending first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSIB9xzNhkk

What makes a custom track really stand out for you?
I think mainly, if it’s fun. The decorations have a lot to do with it, but an amazing looking track can suck if the driveline is crappy. I like really swoopy jumps, a nice fast flow, and a lot of air. I really appreciate when builders take chances and do things you would not expect. That’s what I try to do, but I don’t push it as hard as some people.

Do you have any advice for people new to the Trials editor?
Watch Shogun's Evolution tutorials. Then watch mine. lol. I think mainly, play around with the editor, and push it in directions that others have not. A failure is only if you don’t try.

What is it about building tracks that appeals to you?
The challenges of trying to create what I think of. I have a few ideas I have not figured out yet, I build tracks as I figure the programming out. I will also try to learn something new, and apply that to a new track. I love the challenges of making my visions come to reality.

What have you learned during your time with the Trials editor?
That I suck as rider. lol. I also learned that there are some really smart people in this world. Like I said, ultimate respect for the programming in the game and editor.

We’re almost out of space, is there anything else you would like to say to the Trials community?
I want to say everyone I have met has been really cool, and I am stoked that I am a part of such creative group of people. I love all the different ideas, and the amazing creations people build. Thanks for playing my tracks. Also, check out my band… "Ravi and the Rexers" on iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/ravi-the-rexers/id446918918).

Thank you for taking the time to talk to us, and congrats on being selected as August’s Featured Builder. Make sure to take some time to go and check out Swampballs’ tracks, right now, in the Featured Feed in Trials Fusion on Track Central.

KALzzone8
08-06-2015, 02:34 PM
Well deserved SwampBalls! I really like the creativity and unique ideas this guy has, and I think his ending animations are just pure genius! Keep up the awesome work! :)

En0-
08-06-2015, 02:51 PM
Just a quick answer to say that reading your feedback on your experience with Trials is something that is heartwarming. Trials is not just a game and you're a great example of that statement.

I hope you'll keep enjoying Trials for a long time and that the community will have the chance to enjoy your creations.

Also, thanks your wife for all of us. Looks like she has great birthday gifts and great advices ;-)

Eno

funktastic-
08-06-2015, 03:18 PM
Thanx for the thumbs up about my track swampballs very kind of you.

I am really pleased for you bud , imo as much as there are awesome builders out there creating amazing tracks , fantastic drivelines , and kicking it out the park with decor delights i think the essence of the editor is totally explained in your track building. Create what you like and dont follow the " how to make a speedrun " ritual , the editor is more of a creative tool i think and not a tool just to make a brilliant fast perfect drivleines. I find it to be a place where your imagination can expand and become whatever you want it to be. This i feel you do to the full extent , in a very enjoyable way. Each track you bring out has something new , something that can inspire almost any creator on track central. I guess a lot find the logic side somewhat hard to work out , i my self go the long way round about things and also have learn't from your awsome tutorials , even tho my riders still sometimes looks like an elastic band haha.

My 2 fav tracks of yours , the one you just released call vine rider and alien assault , the others are still fantastic but thems are my favs. Looking forward to many more of your creations and to see into that creative mind of yours bud. just want to say bud well done , you deserve the featured builder spot and im really pleased for you bud. Sometimes the game does get it right :p and choosing you in which i think totally represent the essence of what the editor was made for , is one of thier better moves.

Good luck in the future with all your other creations i hope you totally master the editor , a year and your pulling out tracks like the ones you do , 2 years ya will be involved in making another trials game:p. Who needs 3 or 4 years to become a good builder , not you bud well done:)

geordiedeviant
08-06-2015, 03:32 PM
Well deserved.

MrGRiMv25
08-06-2015, 04:46 PM
Really liked Moonshine Madness as it had that silent movie feel to it. Cool prohibition style too. :cool:

RidingMower
08-06-2015, 10:25 PM
Totally (bleeping) awesome tracks! You're the best.

booped
08-06-2015, 10:37 PM
Congrats, always enjoy the uniqueness and humour in your tracks

VEGASTRASH
08-07-2015, 12:17 AM
Another old track builder...just what I like to see. Why do so many builders hover around the 40 mark?
Swamp has some impressive builds...most impressive. I usually have the same reaction when I play them....wtf?
Very original, tremendous coding, lines are smooth.
Thanks for bringing good things to TC this past year.

Rudemod 69
08-07-2015, 12:20 AM
Congrats on the featured builder slot. Looking forward to giving these tracks a blast.

SwampBalls
08-07-2015, 11:02 PM
Thanks, everyone, for all the kind words. It's great to be recognized for my efforts. I am inspired to push even harder and see what I can get the editor to do. Thanks again.
Swamp

ObeseSpectator
08-08-2015, 03:25 AM
You've churned out some phenomenal tracks thus far, and I hope you continue to progress as a builder.

NicholasBBB
08-08-2015, 06:52 AM
Its cause' all us old folks are taking the Vegas route of chugging creatine. I flexed my muscles yesterday and my grandma's window's exploded. She lives 2,000 miles away!

Deuxbaguettes
08-08-2015, 10:34 AM
Great tracks, they are really awesome adventures!

attila-999
08-08-2015, 01:40 PM
right now there is a "trademark" easily identifiable, I say: bravo
and humor of the final is always well done "in a few sequence shots, you tell a funny story"

Ozy Be
08-09-2015, 10:08 PM
Great pick RL, thank you very much from us over on X1,

And thank you Swampballs for the epicness :) and your mrs of course lol
Congratz dude ;)