PDA

View Full Version : Evie Frye, a lost opportunity.

mgg93
08-05-2015, 01:12 PM
In every forum I visit (Neogaf, IGN, Meristation, and so forth) I get this collective feeling that Evie Frye should be Syndicate's only main character.

It's something I thought from the very beginning, as she seems to me not only cooler in looks and style, but also more interesting of an Assassin (quiet, reflexive, mysterious) than her brother Jacob, who unfortunately (I hope I'm wrong) gives me the feeling that he'll be the dullest, least likeable main character to date. This would not really be a problem if the narrative and marketing of the game was split 50/50, or if you could choose who to play as the entire game. However, this does not seem to be the case, as the main story will be, according to some rumors, 70/30 or even 80/20 in favor of Jacob.

Every thread about this game in other forums show people saying things like "I'll play as Evie as much as the game allows me to", "I wish she was the core of the story", etc.
The fact that Jacob seems like yet another Ezio ripoff (white, young, impulsive, brutal and headstrong) doesn't help at all.

But what do you think? Are you happy with Jacob? Would you also wish for Evie to be the most relevant part of Syndicate?

pacmanate
08-05-2015, 01:16 PM
At this point I wouldn't want just Evie or just Jacob. However I am not happy with the rumoured split either. I think it was rumoured 30% for Evie, or 20%. Thats about 2 sequences which judging from Unity is about 6 missions. (AC Unity had 12 sequences, 7 of them only had 2 missions, the other 5 sequences had 3 maximum)

That causes a problem in 2 ways. Firstly, its not a lot at all. And Secondly, how do you spread the missions? Do you have Evie missions here and there, if so that will make it seem like even less as you have to wait longer to play as her. If you put all her missions back to back, again you will have to wait, but what if you want to play as Jacob?

A 50/50 split would have been more logical in my opinion, you could have a more alternating mission sequence pattern that way. The rumoured sheer lack of Evie missions and the fact that how they are split in the game makes me worry.

Namikaze_17
08-05-2015, 01:50 PM
Eh, I'm inclined to say Jacob is more aligned with Edward than Ezio honestly. And even if Jacob does come off how you described him, there's also the chance he'll be heavily different from how he's marketed like Edward or Shay were for example. As for Evie, well, there's nothing about her so far that makes me think she's "cooler" or "more interesting" then her brother or vice versa. If anything, she comes off like a female Altaïr which could be just as uninspired and dull. With that said, I'll refrain from saying which is "better" till the game releases as I'd hate to seem biased - especially given that we know next to nothing of either character.

As for the percent, yeah that is a bummer - it also makes me wonder why it is that anyway? Why not 50/50? For now, I try not to dwell on it. They might both be excellent characters and the percentage probably won't matter - I hope. We'll just have to wait and see how it plays out I guess. :)

VoXngola
08-05-2015, 01:58 PM
To be honest, I'm kinda getting this ugly vibe from people. To me it seems like a lot of people hate Jacob for being "just another male" protagonist while Evie is favoured for just being a female.

We don't even know much about both of those characters, they might surprise us in the game, much like the game itself.

Farlander1991
08-05-2015, 02:19 PM
Why not 50/50?

My guess is: production failsafe. If you have a second playable character that you're not sure if you'll be able to deliver on time (Unity, after all, decided not to focus on female playable characters, though that also wasn't its focus at all, while it is a focus for Syndicate, which also might explain why Jacob lacks a lot of new animations - most of their forces in that regard were focused on Evie), the logical thing would be to have a back-up plan where that second character can become an NPC. Restructuring 50% of the main story in such case would be much more difficult than 25% of the story.

JamesFaith007
08-05-2015, 02:26 PM
It is to early to judge her when only few videos are out.

She can be both great or annoying but now many people judge her mostly only by fact that she is woman. When Jacob as man is automatically labelled with treats of his predecessors, she is mysterious, cool and so on, even when we know practically nothing about her and her brother.

Namikaze_17
08-05-2015, 02:37 PM
My guess is: production failsafe. If you have a second playable character that you're not sure if you'll be able to deliver on time (Unity, after all, decided not to focus on female playable characters, though that also wasn't its focus at all, while it is a focus for Syndicate, which also might explain why Jacob lacks a lot of new animations - most of their forces in that regard were focused on Evie), the logical thing would be to have a back-up plan where that second character can become an NPC. Restructuring 50% of the main story in such case would be much more difficult than 25% of the story.

I see... kinda figured it was something like that.

SofaJockey
08-05-2015, 02:43 PM
There may be rather too many assumptions being made at this point.

It would appear that you're required to play as one protagonist or the other in certain story missions (http://www.gamesradar.com/assassins-creed-syndicate-preview/).

But that seems to leave plenty of room to choose for other side content.

As it says in the GamesRadar article:

"[Ubisoft] want[s] them [players] to try to play it as Jacob and Evie. What we're really proud about...is how different they are, and how you can actually choose to play as one or the other in this big world."

My personal play style tends toward Evie, but I'm happy to roll with Jacob when a 'bruiser' approach is more appropriate.

I-Like-Pie45
08-05-2015, 04:22 PM
It's probably the hormones talking

pacmanate
08-05-2015, 04:41 PM
There may be rather too many assumptions being made at this point.

It would appear that you're required to play as one protagonist or the other in certain story missions (http://www.gamesradar.com/assassins-creed-syndicate-preview/).

But that seems to leave plenty of room to choose for other side content.

As it says in the GamesRadar article:

"[Ubisoft] want[s] them [players] to try to play it as Jacob and Evie. What we're really proud about...is how different they are, and how you can actually choose to play as one or the other in this big world."

My personal play style tends toward Evie, but I'm happy to roll with Jacob when a 'bruiser' approach is more appropriate.

Side mission free roam means nothing. That's boring.

Sorrosyss
08-05-2015, 07:20 PM
Honestly, looking around third party sites I see the same pattern. Alot of people are far more interested to play Evie, especially from female fans. Naturally, I share the same feeling.

Like most of you, I would have preferred the split to be nearer to 50/50 (and we honestly don't know what the split is until launch), but thinking it through rationally I can see why they have done it this way. Take Tomb Raider. If you buy that, you know what you are getting - a female lead game. But Assassin's Creed has always been predominantly a male lead game franchise. I suspect there is a worry that some long term fans would have an issue playing as a female. For example, in some MMOs I have played, certain people point blank refuse to play as the opposing gender. (I have no issue fyi)

If they give a portion of Syndicate over to Evie, they can test bed what the response to the character is. For example, we know Unity basically metrics all your player data. So if they look at the Free Roam stats, and see Evie pulling ahead of Jacob in overall usage - they would likely know that the character has been a success. Equally if no-one uses her, it would be very telling in this data.

Thus if you like Evie, I'd encourage you, like me, to use her as much as possible to hopefully ensure we see more of her in either future titles, or the upcoming DLC. Or indeed, to help us see double protagonists going forward.

Sushiglutton
08-05-2015, 07:44 PM
I thought that having more than one protagonist added a ton to GTA V. Just that fact that you could switch when you was stuck doing something that suddenly felt dull was a "lifesaver". I also feel (something we have discussed before) that Open World games really benefit from offering a variety of flavours. The complete package becomes much better than the sum of its parts.

So in short I'm glad both of them are in the game.

EmptyCrustacean
08-05-2015, 08:03 PM
From the little we've seen of Evie so far I like her. I like her stoic exterior.

Jacob, on the other hand, reminds me too much of Arno only less handsome and with a bad cockney accent rather than a bad French Canadian trying to be posh...

I don't understand.

Time and time again the fans complain about Ezio clones and Ubisoft continue to pump out these cliche male leads.

VestigialLlama4
08-05-2015, 08:09 PM
From the little we've seen of Evie so far I like her. I like her stoic exterior.

Jacob, on the other hand, reminds me too much of Arno only less handsome and with a bad cockney accent rather than a bad French Canadian trying to be posh...

I don't understand.

Time and time again the fans complain about Ezio clones and Ubisoft continue to pump out these cliche male leads.

They put out Connor and the online racists exploded in nerdrage so its not like they didn't try.

Jacob Frye is an Edward Kenway clone more than an Ezio clone.

RVSage
08-05-2015, 08:17 PM
Wait till the game releases and decide who is a clone of who... It can turn out that Jacob is different in more than one way...

pacmanate
08-05-2015, 08:23 PM

I don't understand.

There has not been one Ezio clone at all.

EmptyCrustacean
08-05-2015, 08:23 PM
Wait till the game releases and decide who is a clone of who... It can turn out that Jacob is different in more than one way...

I very highly doubt that.

Namikaze_17
08-05-2015, 08:30 PM
I keep saying to not entirety believe the marketing - nothing is set in stone.

As RVSage said, let's wait till the game releases. :p

VestigialLlama4
08-05-2015, 08:36 PM
I keep saying to not entirety believe the marketing - nothing is set in stone.

That was true of all games before Rogue-Unity. Each game before had an element of surprise and some tricks hidden in the sleeve. But then 2014 had two bad games that are as bland as advertised.

So no reason to give them benefit of the doubt anymore.

pacmanate
08-05-2015, 08:36 PM
I very highly doubt that.

You do realise a Clone means exactly the same? Connor wasn't an Ezio clone, the furthest from it. Edward was brash, cocky and selfish, you could argue so was Ezio, but their persona makes them completely different. Arno was a stick. Jacob we can't even judge, but he doesn't seem anything like Ezio either.

EmptyCrustacean
08-05-2015, 08:38 PM
There has not been one Ezio clone at all.

Rubbish.

Arno.
Edward.
And now Jacob are virtually the same people.

pacmanate
08-05-2015, 08:40 PM
Rubbish.

Arno.
Edward.

Sorry but what? Explain.

GunnerGalactico
08-05-2015, 08:45 PM

I also like that about her. I like her cool, collected personality, reason being because I find that very refreshing in a female character.

Namikaze_17
08-05-2015, 08:46 PM
Rubbish.

Arno.
Edward.

No, no they are not.

That's basically saying Altaïr, Connor, and Adéwalé are the same people. :rolleyes:

pacmanate
08-05-2015, 08:50 PM
Ezio was a womaniser, he was a joker, he was flamboyant.

Arno wasn't a womaniser he was always focused on Elise, he wasn't a joker, he wasn't flamboyant, he was focused on his motives.
Edward wasn't a womaniser, he was selfish, he was brash.

Jacob we don't even know but he doesn't even look like Ezio or act like Ezio, nor does his speech indicate a similarity to Ezio.

Namikaze_17
08-05-2015, 08:57 PM
That was true of all games before Rogue-Unity. Each game before had an element of surprise and some tricks hidden in the sleeve. But then 2014 had two bad games that are as bland as advertised.

So no reason to give them benefit of the doubt anymore.

I would say Rogue surprised us a bit with Shay. Everyone expected him to be the stereotypical serious and vengeful type like Kratos going by the trailers, but he ended being very selfless and endearing during his story regardless of what people think of his character in general.

pacmanate
08-05-2015, 09:03 PM
I would say Rogue surprised us a bit with Shay. Everyone expected him to be the stereotypical serious and vengeful type like Kratos going by the trailers, but he ended being very selfless and endearing during his story regardless of what people think of his character in general.

I love Shay's character. It's a shame that Rogue got pushed into the dark because I think its a really strong AC game. New side missions we won't see again, further improved naval, north atlantic map, lots of collectibles that reward you better, a different take on story than usual AC games.

Rogue is a great example that new mechanics and graphics don't make a great game. Unity had a terrible story, bland characters, too many collectibles, side missions with no substance and it's only selling point looking at it now was overhauled mechanics and its graphics.

EmptyCrustacean
08-05-2015, 09:07 PM
Ezio was a womaniser, he was a joker, he was flamboyant.

Arno wasn't a womaniser he was always focused on Elise, he wasn't a joker, he wasn't flamboyant, he was focused on his motives.
Edward wasn't a womaniser, he was selfish, he was brash.

Jacob we don't even know but he doesn't even look like Ezio or act like Ezio, nor does his speech indicate a similarity to Ezio.

Um, yes he was. There was a cut scne where he woke up with a woman on him and in-game you could chase female prostitutes and bed them if you catch them in time.

You know what I mean by similar character traits.

Brash, "charismatic", witty one liners, likes the ladies, bit of a rascal, bit of a lad, bit of a ******, amoral when it comes to smaller affairs etc. Arno is only very slightly different in that he was in love with Elise.

EmptyCrustacean
08-05-2015, 09:09 PM
No, no they are not.

That's basically saying Altaïr, Connor, and Adéwalé are the same people. :rolleyes:

Adewale wasn't stoic so he has no place in that setence.

Altair and Connor were both stoic but Connor was more immature, naive and prone to quick outbursts. Altair was more shrewd and collected.

pacmanate
08-05-2015, 09:12 PM
Um, yes he was. There was a cut scne where he woke up with a woman on him and in-game you could chase female prostitutes and bed them if you catch them in time.

You know what I mean by similar character traits.

Brash, "charismatic", witty one liners, likes the ladies, bit of a rascal, bit of a lad, bit of a ******, amoral when it comes to smaller affairs etc. Arno is only very slightly different in that he was in love with Elise.

How is having a one night stand being a womaniser? Also the catching prostitutes thing? Darby said himself he didnt want that in game because that wasn't Edward's character.

Ezio wasn't brash... and how does witty one liners make someone a clone? Me and Mario for example can have witty one liners but we are nothing alike. Bit of a rascal? You are saying anyone who is a bit cheeky is a clone?

Your argument doesn't even make sense.

I can have witty one liners and be a bit of a rascal, so can someone else. That doesn't mean we are clones.

steveeire
08-05-2015, 09:13 PM
I'll probably end up playing as Jacob, but could careless, I just want a good game regardless of protagonist, and ugh not this thread again.

Namikaze_17
08-05-2015, 09:14 PM
Adewale wasn't stoic so he has no place in that setence.

Altair and Connor were both stoic but Connor was more immature, naive and prone to quick outbursts. Altair was more shrewd and collected.

I meant they all share a similarity of being serious dudes that are dedicated to their work.

But that doesn't mean they're the same either.

GunnerGalactico
08-05-2015, 09:15 PM
http://www.insidearm.com/wp-content/uploads/eating-popcorn.gif?279849

Namikaze_17
08-05-2015, 09:24 PM
http://www.insidearm.com/wp-content/uploads/eating-popcorn.gif?279849

Oh, stop it you. :rolleyes:

Locopells
08-06-2015, 12:03 AM
Ahem...

D.I.D.
08-06-2015, 01:43 AM
How is having a one night stand being a womaniser? Also the catching prostitutes thing? Darby said himself he didnt want that in game because that wasn't Edward's character.

Ezio wasn't brash... and how does witty one liners make someone a clone? Me and Mario for example can have witty one liners but we are nothing alike. Bit of a rascal? You are saying anyone who is a bit cheeky is a clone?

Your argument doesn't even make sense.

I can have witty one liners and be a bit of a rascal, so can someone else. That doesn't mean we are clones.

I get your point, and I think "clones" was too strong but I agree with that point most of all.

They're of a type, let's say, in that they're very similar: heroic, model looks, likeable in a very direct kind of way. Take some movie/TV characters; we've never seen an AC protag who is like Léon (http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0090375/?ref_=tt_cl_t1), Prakoso (http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0427415/?ref_=tt_cl_t12), Micheletto Corella (http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0123666/?ref_=tt_cl_t5), Julian Noble (http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0013757/?ref_=tt_cl_t1), Nikita (http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0010744/?ref_=tt_cl_t1), Richard Harrow (http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0223610/?ref_=tt_cl_t12), Jack Carter (http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0013761/?ref_=tt_cl_t1), Modesty Blaise (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modesty_Blaise) or Seibei Iguchi (http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0020405/?ref_=tt_cl_t1). There are some similarities between some of the characters in that quick top-of-my-head list, but they're mostly pretty different from each other. There is more diversity of character types within that list than there has been among main-entry AC games, certainly. The one from that list which is most like the main AC heroes is Julian Noble, and the joke there is that his movie pulls the rug from under the viewers by showing that the suave hitman is a egomaniacal lunatic -- except the AC boys are pre-punchline Julians.

I accept that there are limits in terms of games characters -- what will work and what will not over 20 hours -- but the current crop are played so safely within their limits that they tend to blend in the mind.

I-Like-Pie45
08-06-2015, 01:45 AM
i hope she has hairy arms

pacmanate
08-06-2015, 02:04 AM
I get your point, and I think "clones" was too strong but I agree with that point most of all.

They're of a type, let's say, in that they're very similar: heroic, model looks, likeable in a very direct kind of way. Take some movie/TV characters; we've never seen an AC protag who is like Léon (http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0090375/?ref_=tt_cl_t1), Prakoso (http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0427415/?ref_=tt_cl_t12), Micheletto Corella (http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0123666/?ref_=tt_cl_t5), Julian Noble (http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0013757/?ref_=tt_cl_t1), Nikita (http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0010744/?ref_=tt_cl_t1), Richard Harrow (http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0223610/?ref_=tt_cl_t12), Jack Carter (http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0013761/?ref_=tt_cl_t1), Modesty Blaise (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modesty_Blaise) or Seibei Iguchi (http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0020405/?ref_=tt_cl_t1). There are some similarities between some of the characters in that quick top-of-my-head list, but they're mostly pretty different from each other. There is more diversity of character types within that list than there has been among main-entry AC games, certainly. The one from that list which is most like the main AC heroes is Julian Noble, and the joke there is that his movie pulls the rug from under the viewers by showing that the suave hitman is a egomaniacal lunatic -- except the AC boys are pre-punchline Julians.

I accept that there are limits in terms of games characters -- what will work and what will not over 20 hours -- but the current crop are played so safely within their limits that they tend to blend in the mind.

If you say "heroic, model looks, likeable in a very direct kind of way" rather than "Ezio Clone" then I sort of agree. But it kind of makes sense why.

AC games are about doing the right thing, or seemingly the right thing for the Creed = Heroic Protagonist
No one would really like to play an ugly man or woman = Model Looks

I think likeable is a bit subjective. I dislike Arno

HDinHB
08-06-2015, 03:49 AM
i hope she has hairy arms

I hope she doesn't have hairy legs or pits.

Side mission free roam means nothing. That's boring.

But it's probably 80% of the game.

I-Like-Pie45
08-06-2015, 04:45 AM
I hope she doesn't have hairy legs or pits.

female body shaving didn't become a big thing until the 20th century so she probably does

Alphacos007
08-06-2015, 08:56 AM
female body shaving didn't become a big thing until the 20th century so she probably does

That's not how videogames and movies work :rolleyes:

D.I.D.
08-06-2015, 11:44 AM
If you say "heroic, model looks, likeable in a very direct kind of way" rather than "Ezio Clone" then I sort of agree. But it kind of makes sense why.

AC games are about doing the right thing, or seemingly the right thing for the Creed = Heroic Protagonist

I think likeable is a bit subjective. I dislike Arno

I think games needed to use pretty archetypes. A character that wasn't conventionally attractive was unlikely to translate as such on the old systems, and most likely a character like that would just be dismissed as poorly made. Now, we have better technology: better resolution to describe more subtle animations and expressions, for one thing. I think games need to learn from TV and movies (two mediums which also used to be stuck in that trap of assumption).

The audience hasn't had the opportunity to be tested on whether it would like to see characters who don't look like classic "AAA". But let's imagine Boardwalk Empire with Jon Hamm instead of Buscemi as Nucky Thompson. You could have the same story, the same script, but the show would have been radically different, and I would argue it would be much poorer although Hamm is a fine actor. With Buscemi in that role, there was the vulnerability of a powerful man who is having to claw harder than ever to maintain his power in the world, and only part of that pressure is to do with his direct political position. A huge amount of his problems are tied up in his vulnerability as a man of charm, of violence, of virility, and all of these aspects are failing him a little bit as each year goes by. The impact of these private issues carries into his public affairs too.

I'm sure Game Of Thrones could have cast Kate Beckinsale or someone like her as Brienne of Tarth, and the audience would have accepted it readily. We're used to seeing ***-kicking women who'd also be at home as the face of L'Oreal, but we would have missed out of Gwendoline Christie and everything she brings to that role. Without question, she is the best possible person to play Brienne, but traditional American casting wisdom would have said "no". This is a big part of US TV drama catching up to UK TV drama, in my view. They've been learning that the drama should come first, and cosmetic concerns can hang way down the list. A good story is not improved by the most genetically blessed face, or the most botoxed one.

In my list, the only actor with model looks played Richard Harrow, but he played him as a man with half his face missing who speaks every halting word around gulps of breath and saliva. The actors playing Micheletto, Prakoso and Seibei Iguchi don't have Hollywood faces, and thank God for that. I'd love to play a character like any of those people. The current crop is so much narrower than it needs to be, and a lot of people feel that timidity hurting the series.

Shahkulu101
08-06-2015, 12:02 PM
^ Connor wasn't your typical AAA character so Ubi has done it before with AC. Although he still looked quite conventional because he was a sexy bastard.

D.I.D.
08-06-2015, 12:34 PM
^ Connor wasn't your typical AAA character so Ubi has done it before with AC. Although he still looked quite conventional because he was a sexy bastard.

Hmm, I don't know. Seems like your classic beefcake to me, although I'd agree that he was a little different under the surface. You'll notice they allowed his friend to be a little fat lad, which was never on the cards for Connor ;)

I'm not about to make an argument for that kind of physical diversity though. I've seen some very silly ideas recently of what games characters "should" look like if they were representative of overweight affluent Westerners, and that would be especially daft in AC. However, they are making our protags kind of ridiculously muscular in a way that nobody was until the advancements in understanding about musculature in the 20th century. Connor's physique is comparable to (and maybe even a little more boosted than) that of Eugene Sandow, who was declared the World's Strongest Man in his day:

http://www.wrestle.co.uk/pics/fullpics/new/sandow.jpg

They could still do all the climbing and fighting and be significantly less ripped!

pacmanate
08-06-2015, 01:00 PM
I actually think every protagonist is too skinny. Connor only looks bulky because of his clothes.

Shahkulu101
08-06-2015, 01:15 PM
I actually think every protagonist is too skinny. Connor only looks bulky because of his clothes.

We see him in all his glory in ToKW and the guy still looks like a bear.

D.I.D.
08-06-2015, 01:15 PM
Even if we allow for that, the width of Connor's shoulders is crazy, and you can see him pretty well in the prison scenes and parts of TOKW. He's at that size where BMI is no longer relevant because the muscle weight throws them outside the normal curve. Not necessarily the ideal body shape for a climber -- looking at the best climber's bodies, it seems to be better to be strong but relatively light, or at least not the bench-presser's body since you're effectively lifting yourself throughout the movements (India's Jyoti Raj aka "Monkey King", Sasha DiGiulan, Alex Honnold... Asima Shiraishi is insanely powerful, but she looks like most other 14-year-old girls!).

pacmanate
08-06-2015, 01:30 PM
He has a huge *** back and shoulders, but his bicep/triceps/forearms aren't exactly huge.

http://img08.deviantart.net/fdb8/i/2015/112/e/c/shirtless_connor_kenway_by_bananahannah55-d5vjyc0.jpg

SofaJockey
08-06-2015, 01:54 PM

This does not appear to be correct.
Here is a fascinating site discussing in intimate detail, how (middle & upper class) female victorians would shave and dress:

http://www.katetattersall.com/victorian-feminine-ideal-the-perfect-silhouette-hygiene-grooming-body-sculpting/

I-Like-Pie45
08-06-2015, 04:58 PM
omg pac don't post that pic

you'll summon a wild silvermercy through black magics

pirate1802
08-06-2015, 05:40 PM

So if tomorrow there's a Breaking Bad game you're saying that people wouldn't be falling over themselves to play as Mr. White? wut?

Also there's this popular guy:
http://images.lazygamer.net/2013/11/GTA-V-Trevor.jpg

People like interesting characters. Superficial beauty doesn't an interesting character make.

pacmanate
08-06-2015, 06:37 PM
^ Well... point taken. But that guy was insane as well. It all comes down to writing I guess, Trevor was a well written character and GTA V was huge to allow development of his character and his relation to the player.

AC games just don't have this im afraid, in scope or depth

lothario-da-be
08-06-2015, 09:55 PM
This whole game is a lost opportunity imo. I don't really think we can tell if Evie is a lost opportunity yet, she might be a very boring character.

The_Kiwi_
08-07-2015, 07:06 AM
To be honest, I'm kinda getting this ugly vibe from people. To me it seems like a lot of people hate Jacob for being "just another male" protagonist while Evie is favoured for just being a female.

We don't even know much about both of those characters, they might surprise us in the game, much like the game itself.

This
This exactly
I love you
People won't admit it, but I can tell that a lot of people that praise Evie are only doing so because she is a female
It's disgusting
Praising a character based on gender is just as sexist as feminists make Ubisoft out to be

Fatal-Feit
08-07-2015, 07:24 AM
Meanwhile, I'm just sitting here thinking Evie's more appealing because she has the best looks. :)

This whole game is a lost opportunity imo. I don't really think we can tell if Evie is a lost opportunity yet, she might be a very boring character.

Out of curiosity, what would you have done with a game based on Victorian London?

D.I.D.
08-07-2015, 01:44 PM
This
This exactly
I love you
People won't admit it, but I can tell that a lot of people that praise Evie are only doing so because she is a female
It's disgusting
Praising a character based on gender is just as sexist as feminists make Ubisoft out to be

No.

Some positive reactions against a massive negative weight of history? That's not the same thing at all.

Also, if you take a step back and look at your point of view, it's one that accepts male characters as the default but demands that female characters be something exceptionally good in order to earn their place. Prior to AC3's release, many people were expressing excitement at the prospect of playing as a Native American assassin. Were you shouting them down too? This is no different. We're in the hype period, people are imagining a best case scenario, and they've got high hopes for Evie. There's nothing wrong with that. So what if she turns out to be dull? By comparison to the list of dull male assassins, will she somehow be worse? Who cares. Another dull character: throw it on the pile.

"Disgusting"? Woah there, Red Pill.

Alphacos007
08-07-2015, 02:23 PM
What? I think you went completely off point there mate.
I agree with him, a lot of people are praising Evie just because she is female, and that is ridiculous. As much as I like her and that we will play with her, praising her just for the gender makes no sense at all. It's just as sexist as saying she will be terrible because she is female. You're judging her only based on the gender, and that's not how it should work.

VoXngola
08-07-2015, 02:41 PM
No.

Some positive reactions against a massive negative weight of history? That's not the same thing at all.

Also, if you take a step back and look at your point of view, it's one that accepts male characters as the default but demands that female characters be something exceptionally good in order to earn their place. Prior to AC3's release, many people were expressing excitement at the prospect of playing as a Native American assassin. Were you shouting them down too? This is no different. We're in the hype period, people are imagining a best case scenario, and they've got high hopes for Evie. There's nothing wrong with that. So what if she turns out to be dull? By comparison to the list of dull male assassins, will she somehow be worse? Who cares. Another dull character: throw it on the pile.

Nononono. No!

I'm not somebody that wants or thinks that Evie should be exceptional. There are many female characters out there that I absolutely love, and none of them had the aura of having the need to be exceptionally good in order to compete with my favourite male characters.

I see it everywhere. On the forums, the subreddit, on various gaming sites that cover Syndicate. Evie is praised to the heavens when we don't even know much about her, while Jacob is getting the exact opposite treatment. It's unfair. I've seen people saying that Evie is the sole reason for their interest in the game. Sorry, but I can't help but shake my head at such statements. Without really knowing Jacob and Evie, how can so many people just straight up -sorry- **** on Jacob so much while preferring Evie on the other hand? It's terrible.

Maybe Jacob is a bad protagonist. Maybe Evie is really damn cool. But to base your hate or love on a character just because of their gender...yeah. Not good.

Imagine if we had gotten 2 female protagonists. People would be all over them and praise Ubisoft just because they are female. This is not equality, this is straight up sexist.

I really feel for Jacob.

The_Kiwi_
08-07-2015, 02:58 PM
No.

You're basing this on nothing
I don't give a **** about the gender, because to me, advertising a character by gender is sexist
Everything you've said about me is wrong