PDA

View Full Version : Is BOB going to have NEW netcode for Online play?

ajafoofoo
06-03-2004, 04:30 PM
If there is one thing very lacking in IL2 AEP it is the netcode.

I've had 56k, dsl, and now cable. I got the smoothest play online with a 56k. With DSL and Cable the warping has a much more negative effect on ability to track a target and shoot them down.

I have a decent comp with 1gig of ram so it's not a comp issue. I've tweaked my net settings too.

The simple fact is that every other online game plays butter smooth and IL2 feels like a lagfest.

Is BOB just going to have old netcode salvaged or is this going to be overhauled? It really needs to be.

ajafoofoo
06-03-2004, 04:30 PM
If there is one thing very lacking in IL2 AEP it is the netcode.

I've had 56k, dsl, and now cable. I got the smoothest play online with a 56k. With DSL and Cable the warping has a much more negative effect on ability to track a target and shoot them down.

I have a decent comp with 1gig of ram so it's not a comp issue. I've tweaked my net settings too.

The simple fact is that every other online game plays butter smooth and IL2 feels like a lagfest.

Is BOB just going to have old netcode salvaged or is this going to be overhauled? It really needs to be.

Fennec_P
06-03-2004, 05:16 PM
Especially with the existing support for 32 players, and maybe even 64 in the future.

There is no point of this many players when even 10-15 turns into a total lag fest on T1.

But I wonder, is dedicated server any better? Most other games are much better on dedicated than they are on P2P.

Charos
06-03-2004, 05:41 PM
One would hope for a complete rewrite as the IL2 Code must be several years old now. Written in an age of Dial up modems and client-Servers.

Its High time Sims of all sorts spent as much focus on the Online play as the offline Single Player.

With all games the longetivity is with the Multiplayer.
By default BOB Should support a Linux and Windows Dedicated Server and be programmed for 64Bit - after all who doesnt want more stability and Horsepower.

More than anything I want to see objects further than 5KM - Trying to spot a plane below me against a Blurred landscape while cruising at 5000M Altitude is rather difficult.

ajafoofoo
06-04-2004, 01:20 PM
IL2 FB and AEP the online code really does feel like it was written back in the days of only 56k and lower.

I play a lot of new games online and IL2 is the only one where lag is a problem.

I would think with a dsl or better I could expect smooth play and not have planes warp all over the place.

609IAP_Recon
06-04-2004, 03:29 PM
I hope so, if not then it's a glorified FB.

But, I remember an interview with Oleg and a comment by IanBoys that said more like hundreds at one time on a big map.

Salute!

IV/JG51_Recon

http://www.forgottenskies.com/jg51sig2.jpg