PDA

View Full Version : A New Modern Day Cycle - What would you prefer? (Spoilers)

Sorrosyss
08-01-2015, 03:29 PM
I was reading the recent Gamespot interview, and found this little snippet about the modern day interesting.

The Assassin's Creed series story is still going somewhere, absolutely. The overarching story is divided up into cycles. So we had what we called the Desmond cycle, which ended with AC3. Black Flag was the transition point between the Desmond cycle and the new cycle.

So what people were hinting at in the very first Assassin's Creed was that date, in December 2012, when the world ends. For the final game in that arc, which was Assassin's Creed 3, we had to ship it in line with that real-world date. We knew that. I remember when we were on AC3 we kept saying “this game can’t slip, it can’t be delayed, we’re not going to change the Mayan calendar.”

That was the end of the Desmond cycle. And then we started up the new cycle, which I think will become much clearer with Assassin’s Creed Syndicate, without spoiling it. I can’t go into details about the present-day story, other than to say it is coming back, it is going to make sense for our players, and they’re going to understand the conflict between the Assassins and the Templars.

One of the things that’s been super important for me and for the team is to make sure the player feels in the present-day story that he or she has importance. That what they’re doing is helping the assassins in their war against the Templars. That they’re not just sourcing data for someone.

Without going into detail, it’s what justifies 95 percent of your experience inside the game, so it was essential. But I know we have to keep hush-hush.

Will a central character return?

[PR]: The present-day matters will be talked about later on.

Giard: [Laughs] I think we’ve already said too much.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/made-by-history-assassins-creed-syndicate/1100-6429248/

So, couple of interesting points. Black Flag was the transition point, so does this mean the individual that we played as within AC4 is actually whom we will play as in the modern day in future titles? There is a case for this, because in AC4 we were still using the Animus, which was prior to the Helix system. There are multiple e-mails and notices around the Abstergo office warning users about the Bleeding Effect, and to only use the device in small amounts. Therefore it is entirely possible that our individual spent far too long in there, and like Desmond has started to manifest Assassin abilities. As they say, you are not sourcing data for someone... anymore.

For a long time, the Ubisoft official surveys have made a point about asking us about if we would like customisable Assassins. If you look at AC4 onwards, the theme is very much for "you" to be the focus of the modern day. Is this perhaps the reason why we never saw or heard ourselves during AC4? It would make sense if from Syndicate onwards we could customise our hero, or heroine, without any of the constraints of what came from AC4 - as there was nothing to identify them. But again, that individual ran away with Shaun and Rebecca, so this too would make sense from recent comments about meeting familiar faces in Syndicate.

Games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect have allowed players to modify their main hero(ine), and has proven popular amongst gamers when they can continue their story into subsequent titles. Customisation is creeping its way into more and more games within the industry, and even Unity expanded this greatly for the franchise. With a customisble modern day character, it would continue the theme of this cycle, where we play as ourselves. But it would also give us the new modern day protagonist that many people crave. The historical era stories would be the same as always, with a new Assassin or Templar for us to enjoy, carefully crafted by Ubisoft's writers. But is this customisation the way for the modern day to both retain relevance, and give fans a more involved experience?

What say you then, what would you like this modern day cycle to become?

Would you like to see a customisable protagonist for the modern day?

Would you prefer to control a fully crafted new modern day protagonist, like Desmond? (Galina, Gavin etc)

Do you prefer the first person experience of Black Flag and Rogue?

Or would you rather retain the passive cut scenes of Unity's modern day?

SpiritOfNevaeh
08-01-2015, 03:49 PM
I'm conflicted between the first three options.

I don't mind either one as long as they're done well. :)

Jessigirl2013
08-01-2015, 04:07 PM
I was reading the recent Gamespot interview, and found this little snippet about the modern day interesting.

So, couple of interesting points. Black Flag was the transition point, so does this mean the individual that we played as within AC4 is actually whom we will play as in the modern day in future titles? There is a case for this, because in AC4 we were still using the Animus, which was prior to the Helix system. There are multiple e-mails and notices around the Abstergo office warning users about the Bleeding Effect, and to only use the device in small amounts. Therefore it is entirely possible that our individual spent far too long in there, and like Desmond has started to manifest Assassin abilities. As they say, you are not sourcing data for someone... anymore.

For a long time, the Ubisoft official surveys have made a point about asking us about if we would like customisable Assassins. If you look at AC4 onwards, the theme is very much for "you" to be the focus of the modern day. Is this perhaps the reason why we never saw or heard ourselves during AC4? It would make sense if from Syndicate onwards we could customise our hero, or heroine, without any of the constraints of what came from AC4 - as there was nothing to identify them. But again, that individual ran away with Shaun and Rebecca, so this too would make sense from recent comments about meeting familiar faces in Syndicate.

Games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect have allowed players to modify their main hero(ine), and has proven popular amongst gamers when they can continue their story into subsequent titles. Customisation is creeping its way into more and more games within the industry, and even Unity expanded this greatly for the franchise. With a customisble modern day character, it would continue the theme of this cycle, where we play as ourselves. But it would also give us the new modern day protagonist that many people crave. The historical era stories would be the same as always, with a new Assassin or Templar for us to enjoy, carefully crafted by Ubisoft's writers. But is this customisation the way for the modern day to both retain relevance, and give fans a more involved experience?

What say you then, what would you like this modern day cycle to become?

Would you like to see a customisable protagonist for the modern day?

Would you prefer to control a fully crafted new modern day protagonist, like Desmond? (Galina, Gavin etc)

Do you prefer the first person experience of Black Flag and Rogue?

Or would you rather retain the passive cut scenes of Unity's modern day?

I'm doubtful about a decent modern day in Syndicate, after Unity's awful "modern day" which consisted of cut scenes of you being talked at. <---- like WTF ubi :mad:
I personally want the MD style of ACIII, the "missions" were my the best part IMO ;)

Will a central character return?

[PR]: The present-day matters will be talked about later on.

Giard: [Laughs] I think we’ve already said too much.

In term of UBI being hush hush on the subject this can only mean one of two things.

1. The modern day is vastly improved from Unity and features a fully playable protagonist in a third person perspective (ACIII style) and that the modern day story is built on greatly and we are given the most story payoff since the end of ACIII.

2. The modern day is like Unity and they are trying to hide the fact its practically non existent.

Lets not forget they said this about Unity.
http://www.vg247.com/2014/07/09/assassins-creed-unity-plot-story-is-a-new-narrative-start-for-the-series/

That "new narrative start" consisted of throwing the MD out the window to get new players into the franchise.:mad:
This is insulting to long term fans of the franchise because Unity is another AC game that could completely disappear and yet and MD story wouldn't be affected! <------ AC was built on the MD STORY:mad:!

steveeire
08-01-2015, 04:40 PM
I'll tell you what I got from that interview, we are going to be a floating tablet again in Syndicate.

Goxxi
08-01-2015, 04:52 PM
I just hope that's gonna be something related with a crew of Altair II.

Sushiglutton
08-01-2015, 05:25 PM
I'm no fan of MD, so I hope they keep it as unintrusive as possible.

VestigialLlama4
08-01-2015, 06:18 PM
The new cycle is the Juno cycle.

As for me, I don't know, I actually like the approach in Black Flag. The idea that each new game could have a new MD protagonist who are actually nobodies with no special destiny who play a role in the conflict. The MD in UNITY for instance, using the Initiates to mass recruit and mass educate Assassins was kind of cool, it should have had a better ending but then that's a fault of the historical story.

I don't think going back to the Desmond approach, i.e. one special guy who is the man who will throw down with Juno is especially interesting. I like the idea that the Assassins are planning to rebuild and revive their former strength. So as long as we have new MD characters in each game, first person sequences and the like, I think it'll be fine. The worst thing though is to repeat. No going back to Abstergo Entertainment ever again.

Jessigirl2013
08-01-2015, 08:24 PM
I'll tell you what I got from that interview, we are going to be a floating tablet again in Syndicate.

Could be worse.
We could be stuck forever in a helix and forced to watch cut scenes of characters we cant interact with - Unity
And given a "choice" of joining the assassins.- like wtf

steveeire
08-01-2015, 08:28 PM
Yea that was the lowest point, but I really want a 3rd person protagonist, with a relevant storyline back. What they should do is start off with a new recruit and train him/her through the Animus so we can finally get the badass MD Assassin, Desmond was supposed to be.

Jessigirl2013
08-01-2015, 08:41 PM
Yea that was the lowest point, but I really want a 3rd person protagonist, with a relevant storyline back. What they should do is start off with a new recruit and train him/her through the Animus so we can finally get the badass MD Assassin, Desmond was supposed to be.

I agree,
What disappointed me more is that they hyped the modern day in Unity <--- I mean what game were they talking about :confused:

I want a third person protagonist as well, But I'm still doubtful of that in Syndicate.;)

Here's a theory of mine.
I think it might be in first person like ACBF, however set in Abstergo Industries and we interact with Berg <------ apparently he's in Syndicate
And hopefully we'll be moving the MD story along finally.

Chances are I'm wrong <--- wouldn't care it its for a third person protagonist ;) that would be better.

Or it will be like Unity and instead of being forced to watch bishop in cut scenes we instead have the joy of staring at Berg instead ;) <------ Hope I'm wrong, I wouldn't like a reverse Unity modern day ;)