PDA

View Full Version : Was AC Unity Downgraded Through Updates?

Areyn1995
08-01-2015, 12:55 PM
I don't believe it has been, but after searching around many people say 1.4 downgraded the graphics on the PC. Just want to know if anyone noticed any difference after any of the updates 1.2 - 1.5, in terms of textures/draw distance texture pop-ins etc.

Jessigirl2013
08-01-2015, 12:59 PM
Don't think so, I think they just improved the optimisation because at launch It was awful ;)

I don't think anyone will object that the patches considerably improved the game with the points you mentioned ;)

Definitely not downgraded IMO ;)

Areyn1995
08-01-2015, 01:07 PM
Don't think so, I think they just improved the optimisation because at launch It was awful ;)

I don't think anyone will object that the patches considerably improved the game with the points you mentioned ;)

Definitely not downgraded IMO ;)

Well that's good to hear, thanks for the quick reply =). Been going through every single AC game this month and finally onto Unity, so i was completely out of the loop when it was initially released. Do you notice any FPS drops during cut scenes though? I remember when I tested it a few months back it had awful drops into the 10's-20's during cut scenes, especially close-ups of people in dialogue.

Jessigirl2013
08-01-2015, 01:20 PM
Well that's good to hear, thanks for the quick reply =). Been going through every single AC game this month and finally onto Unity, so i was completely out of the loop when it was initially released. Do you notice any FPS drops during cut scenes though? I remember when I tested it a few months back it had awful drops into the 10's-20's during cut scenes, especially close-ups of people in dialogue.

I personally have had no problems with FPS drops, especially in cut scenes. <---- It ultimately depends on your hardware. Some people have issues, Some people don't ;)

Everyone who has issues with Unity usually have different issues, due to the scale of the game.
I still have issues with Arno getting stuck on objects while roaming, or freezing in mid air. <---- which forces a restart of the game.
I also have had him fall though the floor occasionally.
But as far as I hear no one else on the forum is having these issues ;)
I also had an annoying game breaking bug which caused me to delete my save files after sequence 8, and also a bug in one of the missions which was frustrating ;)
I also got the game in March:confused: so it was after all the patches.

^ seems like a lot of problems, but you shouldn't have any issues, many people don't;)
If you have any problems just try the forum ;) and we can help you out ;)

I'm all for speedy replies ;) I check the forum regularly ;)

Areyn1995
08-01-2015, 03:57 PM
So just ran Unity for a bit upgraded to 1.5, do these screenshots seem normal? (especially the last one) i swear draw distance textures were better than this especially in screenshots around launch.

http://s30.postimg.org/69peyafox/1st.png

http://s30.postimg.org/cq2z24dm9/2nd.png

http://s17.postimg.org/6e5ael7wv/4th.png

Mr_Shade
08-01-2015, 04:04 PM
That's the first area - it's tiny compared to when you proceed into the main game / city, so there isn't much draw distance, since there isn't much around ;)

Jessigirl2013
08-01-2015, 04:15 PM
That's the first area - it's tiny compared to when you proceed into the main game / city, so there isn't much draw distance, since there isn't much around ;)

Yeah ;)

Areyn1995
08-01-2015, 04:23 PM
Fair enough lol thanks for the replies. I'll wait until I get to paris and post a few building shots, just to be sure.

Yamatsan
08-01-2015, 04:42 PM
Version 1.4.0 and 1.5.0 introduced massive pop-in everywhere. The clothes of NPC's, flags and details on buildings (like for example window borders and plants) pop-in like crazy.
Besides that patch 4 and 5 also introduced a lot of LOD issues. See here (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/950438-Unity-s-Building-Texture-Draw-Distance-is-Woefully-Low).

I did not have any of those issues on version 1.3.0 of the game.

Of course there is also a positive side of things. The patches did solve a lot of bugs.
I have not had any issues besides LOD and pop-in.

Areyn1995
08-01-2015, 05:06 PM
Version 1.4.0 and 1.5.0 introduced massive pop-in everywhere. The clothes of NPC's, flags and details on buildings (like for example window borders and plants) pop-in like crazy.
Besides that patch 4 and 5 also introduced a lot of LOD issues. See here (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/950438-Unity-s-Building-Texture-Draw-Distance-is-Woefully-Low).

Of course there is also a positive side of things. The patches did solve a lot of bugs.

YES! That's the exact problem I'm having... One of the first forums i went to, really annoying. I'll upload more pics soon in paris to show what I'm facing.

Areyn1995
08-01-2015, 05:38 PM
Here are the pictures, you can clearly see how blurred and low res everything is even the wall textures from a short distance. Running 1.5 with everything maxed, soft shadows and 2x MSAA

HERE (http://i.imgur.com/QHvZrpv.png) - Look at roof textures and especially the textures on the building across the river to the left

HERE (http://i.imgur.com/vwpApTo.png) - General roof and chimney textures completely blurred.

HERE (http://i.imgur.com/sVbDmTh.png) - Bad textures in general, look at the tall clock tower type builder in the short distance closer to the right.

HERE (http://i.imgur.com/rYlrcBO.png) - Good example of bad textures at a short distance, towards me.

HERE (http://i.imgur.com/gjIGJkn.png) - And probably one of the worst, building across to the right, just smudged.

I'll try a fresh install without updates and see how the game looks in comparison.

Mr_Shade
08-01-2015, 05:49 PM
Well some seem to have it - others not - so might be down to your hardware, such as GPU and hdd speed [for streaming assets]

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/950438-Unity-s-Building-Texture-Draw-Distance-is-Woefully-Low?p=10599665&viewfull=1#post10599665 posted a solution that worked for them.

Jessigirl2013
08-01-2015, 07:25 PM
I agree,
It could be your hardware, Unity does require a beast of a rig to run on ultra at good FPS;)

What's your specs?

Didn't know this? :confused:

Is it worst than the pop in on the Syndicate demo ;)
That s*** looks awful ;) lets hope its because its an alpha build ;)

Areyn1995
08-02-2015, 08:34 AM
I agree,
It could be your hardware, Unity does require a beast of a rig to run on ultra at good FPS;)

What's your specs?

4690k @ 4ghz
8gb Ram
Evga GTX 780 3gb SC w/ ACX
1tb Seagate HDD

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hardware would only account for game performance... Not texture quality. It's not like it takes a long time to load textures, its that it never loads the textures at all. Even buildings next to me look blurry until I'm literally right next to it.

Yamatsan
08-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Well some seem to have it - others not - so might be down to your hardware, such as GPU and hdd speed [for streaming assets]

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/950438-Unity-s-Building-Texture-Draw-Distance-is-Woefully-Low?p=10599665&viewfull=1#post10599665 posted a solution that worked for them.

Hmm, interesting. But that doesn't take away the fact that it started showing up after patch 4.
I already have the graphics to max but I will look into the NVIDIA control panel option mentioned in the above post.

I have seen setups way above the recommended specs (in this case a GTX 980 Ti, i7 4790K and the game installed on an SSD) that still have this issue. My guess is that it has something to do with the max amount of drawcalls on DX11.

I think a lot of the issues regarding pop-in, LOD and performance could be fixed by porting the game to DX12. It's a shame that we will probably never see that day. But I understand that the team working on AC:U has to move on to different projects.

Didn't know this? :confused:

Is it worst than the pop in on the Syndicate demo ;)
That s*** looks awful ;) lets hope its because its an alpha build ;)

Well AC:S is currently under development so we can't judge it's current state.
I do hope they have the time and resources to find a way to fix the issues regarding LOD and pop-in present in AC:U.

Mr_Shade
08-02-2015, 10:14 AM
Even buildings next to me look blurry until I'm literally right next to it.
I never had that - some in the distance, since that is how they manage to cram so many in..

I'm on a GTX970 - so odd you get it..

Areyn1995
08-02-2015, 10:27 AM
I never had that - some in the distance, since that is how they manage to cram so many in..

I'm on a GTX970 - so odd you get it..

Indeed... Oh well, I'll just play through it for the story regardless. Thanks for the replies.

Mr_Shade
08-02-2015, 10:29 AM
I'd try the above fix though - if you use the nvidia experience - that may also be worth checking [or un-optimising]

Areyn1995
08-02-2015, 11:10 AM
I'd try the above fix though - if you use the nvidia experience - that may also be worth checking [or un-optimising]

By the Nvidia fix, you mean the Texture Filtering - Quality > Performance right? If so, I've tried that. I've Also tried the other recommendation to set everything to lowest, restart game, set everything to max, restart game and load save but nothing. It's a weird problem i see others having where, for example... I'm across the street from a building with a Flag or some other details and it hasn't loaded in. I walk towards the building and slowly the textures pop in, then i start walking back away from it and they disappear around the same area. The magical "line" where the texture appears and disappears due to distance is fairly short.

Jessigirl2013
08-02-2015, 11:35 AM
4690k @ 4ghz
8gb Ram
Evga GTX 780 3gb SC w/ ACX
1tb Seagate HDD

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hardware would only account for game performance... Not texture quality. It's not like it takes a long time to load textures, its that it never loads the textures at all. Even buildings next to me look blurry until I'm literally right next to it.

From experience with some games some graphics have issues while others do not ;)

Jessigirl2013
08-02-2015, 11:36 AM
Hmm, interesting. But that doesn't take away the fact that it started showing up after patch 4.
I already have the graphics to max but I will look into the NVIDIA control panel option mentioned in the above post.

I have seen setups way above the recommended specs (in this case a GTX 980 Ti, i7 4790K and the game installed on an SSD) that still have this issue. My guess is that it has something to do with the max amount of drawcalls on DX11.

I think a lot of the issues regarding pop-in, LOD and performance could be fixed by porting the game to DX12. It's a shame that we will probably never see that day. But I understand that the team working on AC:U has to move on to different projects.

Well AC:S is currently under development so we can't judge it's current state.
I do hope they have the time and resources to find a way to fix the issues regarding LOD and pop-in present in AC:U.

If they cant fix the pop-in in their current game, what's the bet Syndicate will be the same way ;)

Mr_Shade
08-02-2015, 11:56 AM
By the Nvidia fix, you mean the Texture Filtering - Quality > Performance right? If so, I've tried that. I've Also tried the other recommendation to set everything to lowest, restart game, set everything to max, restart game and load save but nothing. It's a weird problem i see others having where, for example... I'm across the street from a building with a Flag or some other details and it hasn't loaded in. I walk towards the building and slowly the textures pop in, then i start walking back away from it and they disappear around the same area. The magical "line" where the texture appears and disappears due to distance is fairly short.

Which is odd - since some don't have the issue as bad - or at all - and that fix fixed it for the person posting... so could be down to drive speed or fragmentation etc.

Jessigirl2013
08-02-2015, 12:22 PM
Which is odd - since some don't have the issue as bad - or at all - and that fix fixed it for the person posting... so could be down to drive speed or fragmentation etc.

I agree it seems odd ;)
My spec is lower than yours and yet I didn't have this issue.

Areyn1995
08-02-2015, 05:10 PM
Another one to the collection lol... Seriously, what?!

http://i.imgur.com/9BnhPwS.png

Oh well I've given up trying to get this game looking perfect, I'll just finish it for the story and hope Syndicate's launch is smoother.

Jessigirl2013
08-02-2015, 06:18 PM
Another one to the collection lol... Seriously, what?!

http://i.imgur.com/9BnhPwS.png

Oh well I've given up trying to get this game looking perfect, I'll just finish it for the story and hope Syndicate's launch is smoother.

After Unity I doubt UBI would release another sub-par game ;)

If anything it will be the most bug free game ever ;) They have to save their PR after Unity ;)

Areyn1995
08-02-2015, 06:38 PM
One can only hope Jessigirl, one can only hope :nonchalance:... Anyway, where do you think the next AC game will take place? They'll start running out of time periods soon where fully automatic guns or automobiles weren't a thing yet. It will soon get silly wearing an assassin outfit with nothing but blades and a single shot pistol, unless they're planning on earlier time periods they've skipped over.

Jessigirl2013
08-02-2015, 06:48 PM
One can only hope Jessigirl, one can only hope :nonchalance:... Anyway, where do you think the next AC game will take place? They'll start running out of time periods soon where fully automatic guns or automobiles weren't a thing yet. It will soon get silly wearing an assassin outfit with nothing but blades and a single shot pistol, unless they're planning on earlier time periods they've skipped over.

Many people want Japan to happen, but I'm not sure ;)

I personally have a theory that the next setting will be Ancient Egypt <---- It was hinted at in ACBF ;)
My knowledge of that point is history is lacking to say the least, so I'm unsure about how the A vs T war will be fitted in ;)

What's your thoughts Areyn ?

Regarding Syndicate, after the disappointment of Unity last year, I'm trying hard to be optimistic ;)
The past gameplay looks pretty good and I'm almost positive it wont have any technical niggles like Unity ;) <--- At least nothing major;)
I do worry that the modern day will be like Unity <-- Which was awful IMO:mad:

But at this point all we can do is speculate. ;)
and hope that the modern day will be better and that, In UBIs words "Fans wont be disappointed";)

SkypherDZN
08-02-2015, 10:13 PM
I don't believe it has been, but after searching around many people say 1.4 downgraded the graphics on the PC. Just want to know if anyone noticed any difference after any of the updates 1.2 - 1.5, in terms of textures/draw distance texture pop-ins etc.

As a day 1 player I can tell u that Unity was definitely downgraded through patches. It was 1.3 or 1.4. The graphics of the interiors were affected noticeably.

Jessigirl2013
08-03-2015, 10:51 AM
As a day 1 player I can tell u that Unity was definitely downgraded through patches. It was 1.3 or 1.4. The graphics of the interiors were affected noticeably.

Have you got screenshots?