PDA

View Full Version : Future flight sim concept...

SodBuster43
03-02-2004, 08:51 AM
Most flight sims/games try to model aircraft that actually existed in history. "Crimson Skies" by MS took a different approach and created fantasy aircraft that were actually kind of cool in a way but the game was lacking the detail of FB.

Why not develop a more serious WWII era propeller air combat sim from the ground up with fictional Nations/factions and a balanced aircraft set for each? This would allow each side to have aircraft of all types including fighters, fighter/bombers, medium bombers, heavy bombers, cargo/utility, reconnaisance, etc. The aircraft in the game could, of course, resemble real world aircraft but elements like cockpits, crew stations, gunner stations would be designed and not copied. Flight models and aircraft specifications would need to be within reasonable real world limits for the time period. Game terrain could be fictional as well or simply modeled after real world geography with national borders, country names, etc. changed to suit the fictional essence of the game.

I think this kind of simulation/game would be great fun and at the same time eliminate all the complaints about historical accuracy, flight models, damage models, etc. associated with modeling real world aircraft.

To go a step further, the initial aircraft in the game could actually be submitted for inclusion by the general public via an online contest of sorts with the best designs being considered for further development. This would be great fun and almost like submitting an aircraft design to meet a government/military specification and getting a contract for further development, etc. Design parameters for basic aircraft size, number of engines, gunner positions, etc, etc, could be predetermined by the game developer and would need to be closely adhered to by the persons submitting their design http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

I always thought that a generic air combat simulation would be good fun as it is more easily created, provides a balanced set of aircraft and in the long run would offend noone as it would be for the most part fictional.

[This message was edited by SodBuster43 on Tue March 02 2004 at 08:10 AM.]

SodBuster43
03-02-2004, 08:51 AM
Most flight sims/games try to model aircraft that actually existed in history. "Crimson Skies" by MS took a different approach and created fantasy aircraft that were actually kind of cool in a way but the game was lacking the detail of FB.

Why not develop a more serious WWII era propeller air combat sim from the ground up with fictional Nations/factions and a balanced aircraft set for each? This would allow each side to have aircraft of all types including fighters, fighter/bombers, medium bombers, heavy bombers, cargo/utility, reconnaisance, etc. The aircraft in the game could, of course, resemble real world aircraft but elements like cockpits, crew stations, gunner stations would be designed and not copied. Flight models and aircraft specifications would need to be within reasonable real world limits for the time period. Game terrain could be fictional as well or simply modeled after real world geography with national borders, country names, etc. changed to suit the fictional essence of the game.

I think this kind of simulation/game would be great fun and at the same time eliminate all the complaints about historical accuracy, flight models, damage models, etc. associated with modeling real world aircraft.

To go a step further, the initial aircraft in the game could actually be submitted for inclusion by the general public via an online contest of sorts with the best designs being considered for further development. This would be great fun and almost like submitting an aircraft design to meet a government/military specification and getting a contract for further development, etc. Design parameters for basic aircraft size, number of engines, gunner positions, etc, etc, could be predetermined by the game developer and would need to be closely adhered to by the persons submitting their design http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

I always thought that a generic air combat simulation would be good fun as it is more easily created, provides a balanced set of aircraft and in the long run would offend noone as it would be for the most part fictional.

[This message was edited by SodBuster43 on Tue March 02 2004 at 08:10 AM.]

Gato-Loco
03-02-2004, 01:09 PM
I don't like this idea. I think the historical accuracy is what makes FB totally great. History gives context to this game. I have no interest in flying the generic planes of the Republic of Krajaplistan on a generic war agains some other fictional country.

boohaa
03-02-2004, 05:20 PM
Agree with the cat!

Bull_dog_
03-02-2004, 05:46 PM
I never played Crimson Skies and I never will. There are plenty of games out there for folks who like them...but many people who really enjoy combat flight sims and stay with them for any length of time are history buffs...that is a big part of the attraction.

A post like that probably won't find too much agreement/support here since this is a community of history fanatics who squabble over the diameter of a rivet or the radius of the RPM gauge in a XP-something or another serial number #$^%&%$

Certainly that is why I spend so much time flying, reading and occassionally participating in this forum. In addition, I build models, read history books, am obsessed with the History channel and discovery wings...I grew up with buckets of army men as toys and I have an 8 year old son who gets army stuff for Christmas whether he wants it or not...I get to play with stuff he doesn't...you should see the cool Sherman and Tiger tanks he got this year...he he he

I'd get into 3-D modelling if I found a class that would teach it to me and I knew my first model ( a mosquito FB VI most likely) would make it into this game.

In the meantime I just work, fly and fish

SodBuster43
03-02-2004, 07:03 PM
Oh well, just an idea. I build models also and I am a history buff as well. But I also like to use my creative skills. To each his own I guess. I wonder if I made this sim if anyone would buy it.

Bull_dog_
03-02-2004, 08:00 PM
If the game were immersive and fun...I am sure people would buy it... but you wouldn't likely get too many of the historical crowd...

I really have no idea how many people who purchase games like FB buy them for the "game" aspect or because they are history nuts like me and just love military aviation of WWII?

It would be interesting to know...I just have a strong feeling based on the detail of the posts I read that many/most on this formum are military historians and students as a hobby.

KarayaEine
03-02-2004, 09:39 PM
I got IL-2 because of the historical content. If I wanted fantasy or make beleive I'd get a Star Wars game.

Johann

Horrido!
"We need more ammo!"
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid76/p1f0f308bee355fa7a1aba50e8d6381fb/fb4387a4.jpg

"Achtung Kommandant, sind Sie Fl├┬Ąche auf Feuer"

Aaron_GT
03-03-2004, 04:09 PM
It would be fun if I could design my own plane,
have it 'flight tested' to develop a flight
model that actually accurately models the flight
surfaces and so on and THEN play it online.
In theory you can do this to a certain extent
with Xplane, but the interface for design seems
hard work to me. Plus for really good quality
aerodynamic models you'd need a supercomputer...

But it could be fun - take a 190 and do a
'what if' with a Merlin. Or a double 190, or
totally fantasy planes, and so on.