PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Careers and Ubisoft Survey

The_Kiwi_
07-28-2015, 05:06 AM
I am interested in knowing the prospects and the careers of the frequent visitors of this forum
Think of it as a social experiment
Just answer with the response that best suits you
A career in gaming can be anything ranging from journalism to programming to design to running a company
As long as it falls within the gaming realm

I-Like-Pie45
07-28-2015, 06:05 AM
bears cannot get careers in human-based industries

Alphacos007
07-28-2015, 06:46 AM
To be honest, I'd really like a career in the gaming industry, but I seriously doubt I could ever get any meaningful spots with the degree I'm going for, so I don't have any hopes for it.

Shahkulu101
07-28-2015, 01:38 PM
Can't ever see myself being a developer since you have to be super-intelligent and have in-depth knowledge about computers, numbers and all that jazz. Just too complicated for me.

Could mayyyyybe see myself in marketing or as a community manager or something. But no, I'm not actively looking for a career in the game industry. Although I don't have a clue what the hell I want to be.

EmbodyingSeven5
07-28-2015, 02:12 PM
I'm interested in the industry itself. I don't know where I would get involved though. I have never coded, but I have never tried learning so I don't know if I would have it in me. I'm a decent writer though, so perhaps critiquing and journalism is more my style.

JamesFaith007
07-28-2015, 03:14 PM
Well, as teenager I wanted write short story, book, videogame scenario, TV show script and movie script, so I would gladly move to step three now.

Sushiglutton
07-28-2015, 04:09 PM
Nah, that ship has sailed I suppose. I'm not sure if working with your hobby is always such a great idea. Could potentially spoil a lot of the fun with playing as the illusion disappears. And I do really enjoy playing games! If I worked with gaming I think being at the top making general design stuff and concepts is by far the most fun. The nitty gritty work of implementation is probably pure pain. I wanna be the guy who comes in to the office at 10 and says something like: "let's have a dinosaur easter-egg" and then goes for a cup of coffee.

If I was doing something more hands-on I think designing melee combat could potentially be a lot of fun.

bears cannot get careers in human-based industries

You can do mo-cap work for FarCry.

SpiritOfNevaeh
07-29-2015, 01:08 AM
I LOVE gaming so I wouldnt mind getting into something in the gaming industry.

I just need to find my niche, whatever that may be, and make sure it gets somewhere.

Sorrosyss
07-29-2015, 11:05 AM
From what I have read, it can be a very demanding industry, as is most of the entertainment sector. When deadlines close in, a lot of staff have to put in a lot of overtime. If you could handle the work / life balance, then you should go for it.

If I ever had the opportunity, I'd be more interested in the design aspect to games. Coming out with ideas, throwing them at the white board etc. That'd be my area if I ever went into said industry. But alas, dreams and reality rarely mix as they say. :)

That being said, I'd love to move to Canada, dearest Ubisoft. ;)

The_Kiwi_
07-29-2015, 11:40 AM
Nah, that ship has sailed I suppose. I'm not sure if working with your hobby is always such a great idea. Could potentially spoil a lot of the fun with playing as the illusion disappears. And I do really enjoy playing games! If I worked with gaming I think being at the top making general design stuff and concepts is by far the most fun. The nitty gritty work of implementation is probably pure pain. I wanna be the guy who comes in to the office at 10 and says something like: "let's have a dinosaur easter-egg" and then goes for a cup of coffee.

If I was doing something more hands-on I think designing melee combat could potentially be a lot of fun.

You can do mo-cap work for FarCry.

I'm wondering how many people share your mentality
It's very interesting, it's like that "don't meet your heroes" quote, because peeking behind the curtain ruins the illusion

I'm now also wondering wondering how many people would quit Ubisoft if they found out that most of the stuff they say is lies, like things relating to marketing, saying that Evie was not made to cater to feminists or the whole parity debacle with Unity

And 64% of people so far want a career in gaming, very interesting
I'm not surprised there's a majority for a gaming career but I thought the percentage would be higher

itsamea-mario
07-29-2015, 03:21 PM
I am Yves Guillemot.

UbiJustin
07-29-2015, 03:39 PM
I voted the last option, obviously.

I love what I do. I will say it's not for everyone. There are many, many different disciplines within the gaming industry, and no two people have the same path to that end result. But if you're passionate about it, then pursue it.

I've talked a lot about how to pursue a career in the industry on my streams, but if you would like any specific advice here, please feel free to ask.

One thing we always joke about is "Do a thing," but it really does help. If you create a game in your free time, or build a website, or build a community, then you get a sense of where your passions lie. I wanted to pursue several different things in the gaming industry before I found a passion for community and social media. So it's good to explore a bit.

There's also always this: jobs.ubi.com (http://jobs.ubi.com)

;)