PDA

View Full Version : Would you like decision making in AC?

dimbismp
07-26-2015, 10:06 PM
I know that it's not possible to do this according to the Animus rules...We relive the life of ancestor as it really happened.

But what if we could somehow change that(maybe by entirely letting the MD go...)so that we could add a "choices&consequences" system,like the one in the Witcher games for example?
I am replaying ACIV(which is absolutely great,it is the best AC to date IMO+it has the best story,but this is off topic) right now,and i was thinking:
"What if i could kill Roberts before he could betray Edward?'
"What if i could accept the Templars' offer to get out of the prison and return to England?'
"What if i could actually join the Templars from the begging or with Hornigold?'
"What if i could join the assassins from the beggining?(i mean when you meet them)"

This opens up the countless possibilities of branching storylines and it has the potential to maybe improve the narrative's quality.

So,what do you think?

I-Like-Pie45
07-26-2015, 10:18 PM
decision making is just a sales gimmick like motion control. only a few games have ever actually gotten the concept right

decision making in most games is ultimately inconsequential and useless such as: gta 5, fallout 3, deus ex: human revolution, bioshock infinite, mass effect series, and infamous

decision making would only ruin these games even more

JamesFaith007
07-26-2015, 10:35 PM
No.

I know "decisions and its impact" is popular feature last few years but it really don't fit in AC style game.

steveeire
07-26-2015, 11:03 PM
You could give players some more agency in the MD parts of the game, for instance at the end of Rogue they could let yo choose whether or not you become a Templer

Altair1789
07-26-2015, 11:08 PM
Yes, but not at all like the Witcher, and not as a part of the main series. I want a game that's not in-animus, but takes place in a nice time period. I don't want it to follow the Witcher's model, the Witcher is a bit too linear for an open ended game, I hate cutscenes + choices, and I hate only knowing a couple words out of the entire sentence you're going to say. I want it to be modeled after Fallout New Vegas. I want there to be complete open endedness. You can join the templars, you can join the assassins, you could maybe take over everything on your own, etc. I really liked the options given to you in the Fallout games. I think it would be cool if you could make an ending out of something that didn't happen in the time period. For example, if the game took place during the American Revolution, you could become a redcoat and take stop the revolution, or you could become a templar and aid the revolution to control the colonies soon after, something like that. It doesn't need to be canon

Hans684
07-27-2015, 09:14 AM
As a non-canon side game, yes. As a canon main game, hell no. We relive memories, the choices is already made by the protagonist. We simply go trough it all.

Sorrosyss
07-27-2015, 12:47 PM
Well, if AC were to go the full blown RPG route, sure would love that. It adds decent replayability to games imo. I found my Mass Effect playthroughs quite different between when you play Paragon or Renegade.

In terms of the standard setup though, when we had purely the Animus, the decision making would make no sense as those are set events. But remember we have the Helix now, which is primarily software. In Liberation, we even had some of this playing out, where you saw one sequence of events, and indeed ending, which had been deliberately adjusted by the Templars. Erudito then helped us see the actual events unedited. I think that would be an interesting mechanic to reuse. It also would add all sorts of questions. As in, was what we saw what actually happened, or an Abstergo edit? It opens up lots of questions about history and existence, and indeed how much of it is the actual truth. Adding in decision making could be an interesting spin on it, assuming it is well written.

Alphacos007
07-27-2015, 12:49 PM
For a spin off, sure! A game based solely on a time period without reliving memories, where you could play as you wish, would be great. But not for the main story games. Not at all.

Hans684
07-27-2015, 02:40 PM
In terms of the standard setup though, when we had purely the Animus, the decision making would make no sense as those are set events. But remember we have the Helix now, which is primarily software. In Liberation, we even had some of this playing out, where you saw one sequence of events, and indeed ending, which had been deliberately adjusted by the Templars. Erudito then helped us see the actual events unedited. I think that would be an interesting mechanic to reuse. It also would add all sorts of questions. As in, was what we saw what actually happened, or an Abstergo edit? It opens up lots of questions about history and existence, and indeed how much of it is the actual truth. Adding in decision making could be an interesting spin on it, assuming it is well written.

This I can support, an in universe explanation to why we can make choices.

SofaJockey
07-27-2015, 03:29 PM
No.

Because of wibbily wobbly timey wimey.

SpiritOfNevaeh
07-27-2015, 11:34 PM
Like what Alp said, maybe for a spin off, but not in the AC series itself.

Since the series is technically about history, the decisions that were made are "set in stone" to bring us where they are today.

EmptyCrustacean
07-28-2015, 12:45 AM
Anybody that requests decision making in AC doesn't understand the point of the animus. The events are merely a simulation . All decisions have all ready been made, you're just reliving it. To have a choice defeats the entire premise of the game.

dimbismp
07-28-2015, 01:09 AM
Anybody that requests decision making in AC doesn't understand the point of the animus. The events are merely a simulation . All decisions have all ready been made, you're just reliving it. To have a choice defeats the entire premise of the game.
"I know that it's not possible to do this according to the Animus rules...We relive the life of ancestor as it really happened.But what if[...]"
Read next time...

Shahkulu101
07-28-2015, 01:46 AM
If they made the MD meaningful I'd love decision making in that realm. But no, not in the Animus - makes no sense.

Alphacos007
07-28-2015, 06:44 AM
If they made the MD meaningful I'd love decision making in that realm. But no, not in the Animus - makes no sense.

The thing about decision making in the MD is that it would be hard to follow up with the story in the next installments, because you never know what the player picked before. I'd rather just have the standard linear story experience that we have than half assed stories that could fit with all the possible player decisions *looking at the The Elder Scrolls franchise*

EmptyCrustacean
07-28-2015, 11:10 AM
"I know that it's not possible to do this according to the Animus rules...We relive the life of ancestor as it really happened.But what if[...]"
Read next time...

I did read it all. That's why I came to the conclusion that either you don't get the premise or don't care about it. Either way your idea would never work. It just wouldn't and it would mean Ubi would have to come up with some expository dialogue to justify it - and the story is messed up enough.

Shahkulu101
07-28-2015, 01:31 PM
The thing about decision making in the MD is that it would be hard to follow up with the story in the next installments, because you never know what the player picked before. I'd rather just have the standard linear story experience that we have than half assed stories that could fit with all the possible player decisions *looking at the The Elder Scrolls franchise*

There wouldn't have to be branching storylines though. Just subtle choices that alter the dynamic between the characters a little bit. For instance, say we could have chose whether or not to hit back when William smacked down Desmond. If you hit him back there's a lot more tension then between the characters leading to different dialogue during conversations, nothing game changing but a nice touch. Maybe even give us romance options just to add a little something - they would have to be done tastefully of course.

Some might say there would be no point in having it at all if it's not that impactful but I'd disagree, it would be nice to have that a little bit more agency in how you engage with other characters. Allow us to express ourselves a little bit.

EmbodyingSeven5
07-28-2015, 02:17 PM
I suggested a game that just took place in the past with the animus not involved, A break from the recently dull MD storyline would be a breath of fresh air. And choices could work in a game like that.

EmbodyingSeven5
07-28-2015, 02:19 PM

I actually found the more recent elder scrolls stories to be really epic and well told.