PDA

View Full Version : Disable Shadows

zSolarStorm
07-26-2015, 12:01 AM
Okay so I have a descent gaming laptop, and can run games at medium settings. So basically my card goes extremely slow when Shadows are there. Like in AC4, it runs at 30 fps on low settings. I have problems in multiplayer since fps keep dropping to 20s. Now like in AC Rogue, if I run off the shadows, I can run the game at 40-50 fps at high settings. So I really need to know how to turn off the shadows in AC4.

Black_Widow9
07-26-2015, 02:11 AM
Hello,
Can you post a bit more about your rig? Does it meet the minimum requirements (https://support.ubi.com/en-US/FAQ/9/4186/minimum-requirements-for-assassins-creed-4-black-flag/kA030000000eakpCAA)?

Please note that

Laptop versions of these cards may work but are NOT officially supported. These chipsets are the only ones that will run this game.

Thanks

zSolarStorm
07-26-2015, 08:34 AM
Hello,
Can you post a bit more about your rig? Does it meet the minimum requirements (https://support.ubi.com/en-US/FAQ/9/4186/minimum-requirements-for-assassins-creed-4-black-flag/kA030000000eakpCAA)?

Please note that

Thanks

I know laptop chips are not supported but other games just run fine. And as I said, AC Rogue w/o shadows runs very smooth.

CPU = Intel i5 4200U @1.6 Ghz and 2.8 GHz Turbo Boost
GPU = Nvidia GT 740m 1 GB
RAM = 4 GB DDR3

Dude can you just tell me if it is possible to remove shadows? Any mod or something?

Jessigirl2013
07-26-2015, 12:14 PM
Really! I played AC4 on a low end card that met the minimum spec, and yet I was getting 40-50 fps on tweaked high settings.;) Could be that rogue is more optimized better for PC?:confused:
Just a guess?

Locopells
07-27-2015, 03:52 PM
Rogue is better optimised, I can confirm that. Even without shadows, ACIV won't run as well. However, you can turn shadow quality right down in the graphics options, but I'm not aware of any way to turn them right off (assuming that Shadow Quality doesn't include that option, I can't check right now).

Jessigirl2013
07-27-2015, 04:00 PM
Rogue is better optimised, I can confirm that. Even without shadows, ACIV won't run as well. However, you can turn shadow quality right down in the graphics options, but I'm not aware of any way to turn them right off (assuming that Shadow Quality doesn't include that option, I can't check right now).

Rogue is a clear example of how well Syndicate should be optimized ;)

Ubi take note!

Anykeyer
07-28-2015, 09:15 AM
Black Flag was current consoles gen game, Rogue is ported from ancient consoles w/o adding any bells. Ofc it runs better at any settings, the materials, lighting and foliage rendering are all different. It doesnt mean Rogue is better optimised. Optimisation means efficiency, not just raw speed taken out of context. So far Unity is the most optimised AC game, but a lot of ppl would try to disagree.

Jessigirl2013
07-28-2015, 04:21 PM
Black Flag was current consoles gen game, Rogue is ported from ancient consoles w/o adding any bells. Ofc it runs better at any settings, the materials, lighting and foliage rendering are all different. It doesnt mean Rogue is better optimised. Optimisation means efficiency, not just raw speed taken out of context. So far Unity is the most optimised AC game, but a lot of ppl would try to disagree.

But Rogue is better optimised.

Also its an entirely different game ;) sure they recycled some features from BF but even the map is bigger;)

zSolarStorm
07-28-2015, 04:56 PM

Optimization means that the game will be using all the available CPU and GPU's power. It means that the game will run on a very wide variety GPUs and not only on high end like Unity. That game is clearly un-optimized.

In my case, however I have a low end laptop, but I can run all games at 30 fps, except Unity. I get 3-10 fps in lowest quality on 480p lmao. I don't really know what kind of game is Unity or the coding done in the game, its just stupid, its useless.

I don't really know about optimizations for AC4 and AC RO, but I just noticed that they both run the very same. Except when I turn off shadows in AC RO, it jumps on to 40-50 fps.'
For me, AC4 runs like smooth 30 fps for 1 hr but then it drops to 20 fps. Its not about my laptop getting overheated, because other games run fine. Now this is called un-optimization.

PS: Since you mentioned that Rogue was ported from old gen, yes right, but if you properly compare those titles, AC RO's textures are better than in AC4. Overall quality is better. Only Rogue doesn't have much of AA and some other graphical features.

EDIT: Also I know AC3 MP and AC4 MP are based on different DirectX versions (AC3 uses Dx 9 and AC4 uses Dx 11), I just noticed that on lowest settings, AC3 has a lot of jagged lines all over. In AC4, there literally are NO jaggers, characters have smooth edges and so the buildings. It looks like AA is compulsorily enabled in AC4, it just looks like that. I'm talking about only multiplayer

Mr_Shade
07-28-2015, 05:02 PM
In my case, however I have a low end laptop, but I can run all games at 30 fps, except Unity. I get 3-10 fps in lowest quality on 480p lmao. I don't really know what kind of game is Unity or the coding done in the game, its just stupid, its useless.

Ubisoft does not recommend laptops for many of it's games - due to differences in the GPU standards and power saving etc - that can throttle performance so worth checking the requirements.

Not all games act the same - so while some maybe ok, others won't be - so you should always check the games individual requirements, rather than assuming.

Jessigirl2013
07-28-2015, 05:25 PM
Ubisoft does not recommend laptops for many of it's games - due to differences in the GPU standards and power saving etc - that can throttle performance so worth checking the requirements.

Not all games act the same - so while some maybe ok, others won't be - so you should always check the games individual requirements, rather than assuming.

I didn't think any games "recommends" laptops :confused:

Mr_Shade
07-28-2015, 05:28 PM
I didn't think any games "recommends" laptops :confused:

Some system requirements for other games [from other publishers ] list M versions - that's mobile = laptop

Jessigirl2013
07-28-2015, 05:40 PM
Some system requirements for other games [from other publishers ] list M versions - that's mobile = laptop

I was just joking ;)

I always though PCs were more capable of running GPU intensive games like AC.

Mr_Shade
07-28-2015, 05:44 PM
Having a laptop is normally a disadvantage though - since they are normally lower spec compared to the same desk top card.

And, one game running ok - doesn't mean any others will, since different games use different engines. ;)

Jessigirl2013
07-28-2015, 05:50 PM
Having a laptop is normally a disadvantage though - since they are normally lower spec compared to the same desk top card.

And, one game running ok - doesn't mean any others will, since different games use different engines. ;)

Also I find them a hassle to upgrade ;) Cant be dealing with all the screws ;)

Anykeyer
08-03-2015, 01:03 PM
Optimization means that the game will be using all the available CPU and GPU's power. It means that the game will run on a very wide variety GPUs and not only on high end like Unity. That game is clearly un-optimized.

No, game is not required to run on low end hardware at all. Or wide range for that matter. In fact true optimisation is only possible if you deal with very strict/narrow specs. You clearly dont know what you are talking about.

Jessigirl2013
08-03-2015, 01:09 PM
No, game is not required to run on low end hardware at all. Or wide range for that matter. In fact true optimisation is only possible if you deal with very strict/narrow specs. You clearly dont know what you are talking about.

Good point ;)

haldir307
01-18-2016, 06:31 PM
Hello, i am speaking for every people who have laptops and desktops which are handling ACS pretty well on low and medium graphic settings, but do not like the shadows because they are pixelated, please when you will release your next update just add the function "OFF" in shadow settings, we bought the game and you got paid, but let us fully enjoy the game, if you could release only this fix very soon as a quick patch or hot patch, how ever it is called in small size, it would be much appreciated. :)
Here is an image with two screenshots:
http://orig12.deviantart.net/a2bb/f/2016/018/a/1/pixalated_shadows_by_haldir307-d9of91z.jpg
Here is my laptop's perfomace in case you need this too, but its not requireable for my topic:
IntelR Core TM i5-4200H CPU @ 2.80GHz
DDR3 16GB
Nvidia GeForce GTX 850M 2GB