PDA

View Full Version : Oleg, please reduce hurricane force winds a bit.

SodBuster43
01-28-2004, 04:42 PM
Maybe I am missing something here but when you set the weather to something less than ideal the wind velocities change substantially. If weather is set to snow for instance, ground handling often times becomes a nightmare.

Now, why can't you have times with a gentle snow and very little wind effect? It seems like these two variables should be a separate item when creating maps.

I like the way weather was handled in LOMAC for instance where turbulance, wind, clouds and weather are all separate items in the mission builder.

Best regards,
SodBuster43

SodBuster43
01-28-2004, 04:42 PM
Maybe I am missing something here but when you set the weather to something less than ideal the wind velocities change substantially. If weather is set to snow for instance, ground handling often times becomes a nightmare.

Now, why can't you have times with a gentle snow and very little wind effect? It seems like these two variables should be a separate item when creating maps.

I like the way weather was handled in LOMAC for instance where turbulance, wind, clouds and weather are all separate items in the mission builder.

Best regards,
SodBuster43

XyZspineZyX
01-28-2004, 05:28 PM
Why wouldn't ground handling be a nightmare in any kind of snow condition?

Unless you've got a peacetime airfield crew and equipment, it's gonna be pretty rough out there. And anyone who's driven a car in snow can attest to how treacherous it can get.

These fighters and bombers were not real fun to groundhandle in *any* condition. Mud, rain, even soft or bumpy ground caused all kinds of accidents, even in conditions considered "normal operational".

Perhaps try slowing your taxi. I see a lot of guys who try roaring off across the infields at full throttle rather than bother to taxi to the take off strip.

SodBuster43
01-28-2004, 05:56 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stiglr:
Why wouldn't ground handling be a nightmare in any kind of snow condition?

SodBusters43's reply:
Once again the point has been entirely missed here. If the weather is set to snow THE DARN WINDS ARE SO HIGH VELOCITY that it is impossible to keep the plane on track even when applying full rudder/tail wheel and braking one wheel on the main gear. Highly unrealistic in my opinion. If the winds were this high there would be a good chance the sorte might be cancalled due to severe weather.

The main point I was also trying to convey is that weather should be more customizable like in LOMAC.

I suggest you re-read my first comments.

SodBuster43
01-28-2004, 06:11 PM
Maybe I should word this differently...

My main gripe is not about the rain, snow, fog, visibility, etc. It is only about the SEVERE WINDS exhibited when setting weather to SNOW/RAIN for instance. It just seems unrealistic to me when the aircraft practically blows off the tarmac when you apply the slightest bit of throttle and start to roll. Keeping the aircraft on track is near impossible due to the surface winds. I have tried locking the tail wheel, applying full rudder/tail wheel (or nose gear) and applying full braking to one main gear and nothing seems to overcome the wind effect while trying to taxi. The result is that my aircraft just continues into the parked planes, a building, etc, etc. etc.

It seems to me the wind effect on an aircraft that is trying to taxi is greatly over exaggerated.

My suggestion is to fix this behavior if it is not correct or allow different configuration settings for weather and wind velocity. Why shouldn't we, for instance, be allowed to configure weather for SNOW with MODERATE TO LITTLE WIND.

As it stands now if you want snow you also get the hurricane force winds that come with it.