PDA

View Full Version : Will lefties get some love?

Shuai8297
07-24-2015, 01:41 PM
Lefthanded people are usually disregarded in modern games and character models are 100% righthanded in all but a few of them (FPS games where you have the option to reverse viewmodels). In For Honor, where so much focus is put on the fighter him-/herself, it would be nice to see an option where you can choose your dominant hand. Also, due to the games combat mechanics, there shouldn't be any interference with gameplay. The main argument against this would be the development time needed to develop a feature that will only benefit roughly 10% of the playerbase. However, considering it seems every hero will have a male and female counterpart already, I beg the developers to take it one step further and let all of their players, even the lefties, feel as one with their character.

Solid_Altair
07-24-2015, 06:29 PM
I think it would involved more work than it seems, specially for shields.

Would you like the over the shoulder view to be swapped to the left shoulder, too?

BTW, I don't know if lefties had some love in the middle ages. Until not so long ago lefty children were scolded to become right-handed.

MisterWillow
07-24-2015, 08:16 PM
Don't know how much work it would actually be. Theoretically, it would just be mirroring a character model. Regardless, it would be interesting to engage a fight and find their shield on the other side.

Weiss_M
07-24-2015, 09:44 PM
Remember the game is set in a fictional world. I don't know right know how to say this in English: Don't think they are going to include prejudices in real world in the game. Like women doing just house chores or lefties being punished.

I also like lefties being included in games. I'm not one myself, but having played Zelda since childhood makes me apreciate this kind of individual traits in protagonists. I rage every time they make another right handed Link in new Zeldas.

I read once the reason people don't include left handed characters in games is because they would have to make animations not only mirrored, but also the interaction between right handed and left handed people.
Normally we have:
1: Right vs Right handed
But then they have to do:
2: Left vs Left handed
and
3: Right vs Left handed

That's why in Twilight Princess Wii version (a mirrored version of the Gamecube game) everyone is left handed except Link (IIRC)...

It's appreciated, but I think it's not worth the effort when everyone can just play teh same model, like when people has never had any problem playing Link as left-handed.

And in a left-handed-vs-right-handed-sword+shield-users fight I think shields would become kind of useless, because most of the blows would come form the unprotected side of each warrior and they would end up parrying with the sword instead of blocking with the shield. But don't trust my words, I could be far from right.

Deadshot.
07-25-2015, 05:13 PM
Yeah...it's a great idea, but I think that the best you're gonna get is a lefty-controls setup

Shuai8297
07-25-2015, 08:27 PM
BTW, I don't know if lefties had some love in the middle ages. Until not so long ago lefty children were scolded to become right-handed.

Should we really continue to discriminate left-handed people for the sake of historical accuracy though?

Shuai8297
07-25-2015, 08:44 PM
I read once the reason people don't include left handed characters in games is because they would have to make animations not only mirrored, but also the interaction between right handed and left handed people.
Normally we have:
and

That is true, though since they already implemented a system where each action has multiple animations, from which one is picked based on the character's current physical position, the framework for adding in additional animations is already there.

It's appreciated, but I think it's not worth the effort when everyone can just play teh same model, like when people has never had any problem playing Link as left-handed.

Actually people do, that's exactly why new Zelda games have Link be right-handed instead, because people don't like playing left-handed.

And in a left-handed-vs-right-handed-sword+shield-users fight I think shields would become kind of useless, because most of the blows would come form the unprotected side of each warrior and they would end up parrying with the sword instead of blocking with the shield. But don't trust my words, I could be far from right.

I didn't think the shield mechanics had been revealed yet?... But yes, if it turns out the shield gives protection only to your off-hand side or something similar then I realise a left-handed option would be unfeasible since it would affect gameplay. However, if shields function in the same way as weapons, where left/right/top does not affect efficiency in any way, I don't see a problem.

Shuai8297
07-25-2015, 08:48 PM
Yeah...it's a great idea, but I think that the best you're gonna get is a lefty-controls setup

That is the standard convention, which is why I created a thread pleading for a proper left-handed mode/setting.

Weiss_M
07-25-2015, 11:39 PM
Actually people do, that's exactly why new Zelda games have Link be right-handed instead, because people don't like playing left-handed.
I was tallking about non-Wii Remote games. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem wielding the controller in the right hand while Link uses his left hand.

I didn't think the shield mechanics had been revealed yet?... But yes, if it turns out the shield gives protection only to your off-hand side or something similar then I realise a left-handed option would be unfeasible since it would affect gameplay. However, if shields function in the same way as weapons, where left/right/top does not affect efficiency in any way, I don't see a problem.

I actually was talking about real life sword+sheld fights, as they are more dynamic than any game could represent outside of cutscenes. In the game, I think the animations of blocking an attack with the shield from the other side would be OK.

Dead1y-Derri
07-26-2015, 11:49 AM
As someone who is left handed this idea would be quite cool but I wouldn't want the developers to spend too much time doing this for something that isn't too important.

Shuai8297
07-27-2015, 01:49 AM
I was tallking about non-Wii Remote games. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem wielding the controller in the right hand while Link uses his left hand.

Okay yeah, that might've been an unfair comparision due to the fact that the Zelda games make use of motion tracking. However, in one sense the ability to chose left- or right-handedness is even more important in For Honor than in Zelda. When you're playing a Zelda game, you're playing as Link, an already "established" character with his own traits and personality. However, in For Honor, or well, atleast in the multiplayer mode, you're starting with a blank slate. Even if you choose a faction and a hero which will determine your allegiance and weapon of choice, you're still only making *your* character, say, a warden of the legion.
What I'm trying to say is that Link is a character of his own, and when playing with those kind of characters I have nothing against he/she being left- or right-handed, because that's part of who the character is. However, in For Honor, you're creating *your* character. You're choosing your gender, your faction, your weapon and your appearance, all in the name of making your character truly yours. This is why I believe being able to play left-handed is so important in a game like this. Because if you're to feel as if you're in a real swordfight, as is the vision of the creative director, you have to feel like your character is a representation of yourself. And when something so fundemental such as handedness is off, the fact that you're just controlling a character becomes blatantly obvious and breaks the immersion.
Now that got very abstract in a very short time, so I think I'll just stop it here.
To sum it up in a more concrete fashion: It's not only about physical complications when playing with the wrong handedness, but also the immersiveness of the game when the character that's supposed to be representing you, actually doesn't.

Oh, and yeah, it would be pretty weird to fight *right-handed sword + shield* vs *left-handed sword + shield*...

Solid_Altair
07-27-2015, 07:02 PM
It wouldn't be just about mirroring the characters. As the post above says, there'd be quite a difference if you have "orthodox vs southpaw". Attacks that'd be blocked with the shield would then be blocked with the sword and vice-versa. That could end up requiring a bunch of new animations.

I don't oppose the idea. I just think it'd involve more work than it seems.

Shuai8297
07-30-2015, 12:02 AM
Normally we have:
and

That is true, though since they already implemented a system where each action has multiple animations, from which one is picked based on the character's current physical position, the framework for adding in additional animations is already there.

Though now when I think about it, since all of their animations are motion-captured, getting a left-handed setting might be more unfeasible than I originally imagined.