PDA

View Full Version : Guards in Unity (both red and blue)

diablo0289
07-24-2015, 01:33 PM
Hello everybody. I just bought AC: Unity and, after a week of playing, I felt like I had to report this, hoping to see it changing in next games. (I would have looked for a suggestion-thread for ubisoft, but wanted to be sure first it wasn't just me).
So, here's the deal: Don't you guys think the guards (both soldiers and revolutionaries) have fricking hawk-eyes? I really had hard times doing quest because of that, but not the right hard times (thoose in which you feel challanged and kinda enjoy making a further effort to succeed), the frustrating one. I mean, you're supposed to be an expert assassin, and one of the enjoyables feature of the game should be feeling like a flawless master of shadows... nope. Doesn't matter how hard I try, with so many guards that go aggro 0.001 seconds after they see the point of my nose out of a wall it's impossible to feel that way.
I also kinda feel like the "whistle from behind the corner" would have helped, but they removed it...

so, summarizing: super guards and stealth system (whistle missing, plus a certain rigidity in the overall stealth mechanics)

Am I the only one to think that?

diablo0289
08-06-2015, 11:33 PM
Oh wonderful (though I'm confused about the "weird item" o.O). hope the feeling with the game will get back to the first ACs levels ;)

phoenix-force411
08-07-2015, 03:32 AM
Whistling was a good mechanic, but it doesn't help in tighter spaces because you attract more guards than the intended guard. If you think Unity is tough, try ACIII's AIs.

Jessigirl2013
08-07-2015, 09:16 PM
Whistling was a good mechanic, but it doesn't help in tighter spaces because you attract more guards than the intended guard. If you think Unity is tough, try ACIII's AIs.

AC is getting too easy IMO.

steveeire
08-07-2015, 09:25 PM
Too easy and less fun, they need to bring back the counter button (which they seem to be doing) and give us more enemy types with better AI.

pacmanate
08-07-2015, 09:28 PM

But AC3 was broken, it was tough in the wrong ways.

Worst 100% sync objectives in AC history.
Guards that would be alerted from all over the place.
Broken Bow which alerted guards even though it was a stealth weapon.

Alphacos007
08-08-2015, 07:55 AM
But AC3 was broken, it was tough in the wrong ways.

Worst 100% sync objectives in AC history.
Guards that would be alerted from all over the place.
Broken Bow which alerted guards even though it was a stealth weapon.

To be fair, that place is now Unity's.
The optional objectives have nothing to do with the missions themselves.
Guards see you from a mile away and alert all guards in the area.
The Phantom Blade alerts guards 80% of the time, even tough it's meant to be stealth.

pacmanate
08-08-2015, 05:00 PM
To be fair, that place is now Unity's.
The optional objectives have nothing to do with the missions themselves.
Guards see you from a mile away and alert all guards in the area.
The Phantom Blade alerts guards 80% of the time, even tough it's meant to be stealth.

I wouldnt say Unity is as bad at all. The Phantom Blade can be used for stealth effectively you just need to be cautious. The bow however... that bow.

Shahkulu101
08-08-2015, 05:51 PM

Objectively false statement. They've been getting harder, although not by much.

AC2 was easier than AC1 by a lot
ACB was designed for mentally deficient babies
ACR same as ACB
AC3 was still easy but a little more challenging
AC4 basically the same as AC3
ACU still an easy game but way more challenging than any AC game - for the right and wrong reasons.

Syndicate is ACU but a little more user friendly, remains to be seen how hard it is but it will likely be harder than the Ezio era games.

HDinHB
08-08-2015, 06:10 PM

ACR same as ACB
ACU still an easy game but way more challenging than any AC game - for the right and wrong reasons.

Syndicate is ACU but a little more user friendly, remains to be seen how hard it is but it will likely be harder than the Ezio era games.

It is her opinion; by definition it is subjective and can't be objectively true or false.

I don't necessarily disagree with the rest of your comments, but I wonder what objective criteria you use to measure the relative hardness of a game?

Shahkulu101
08-08-2015, 06:18 PM
It is her opinion; by definition it is subjective and can't be objectively true or false.

I don't necessarily disagree with the rest of your comments, but I wonder what objective criteria you use to measure the relative hardness of a game?

It's not a matter of opinion. If someone says water is dry, they are wrong. I judge like so...

How hard is combat? How easily can you die? Do you need to vary your moves etc.

Stealth. How does enemy AI work? Do you need to think about your route and strategy? Do you need to use a variety of tools and mechanics?

You know what I mean. The differences between Unity and past games isn't exactly subtle. Can anyone honestly say the combat in Unity was easier than past games? Not unless they are deluding themselves. Stealth is different, since AC3 has the most challenging stealth system - but Unity's is the second hardest stealth system.

EDIT: I should add that challenging doesn't equal a good game for me. For instance ACB and AC4 are easier than Unity but are far superior games IMO. And while AC3 has the hardest stealth the system is bloody horrible.

HDinHB
08-08-2015, 06:37 PM
If someone says "this water is frozen," that's something you can measure and declare objectively true or false. If someone says the water is, in their opinion, too cold, you can't say that is "objectively false." Well, you could say it, but it would be unfair and untrue.

Otherwise, I don't disagree with your conclusions.

Jessigirl2013
08-08-2015, 06:52 PM
If someone says "this water is frozen," that's something you can measure and declare objectively true or false. If someone says the water is, in their opinion, too cold, you can't say that is "objectively false." Well, you could say it, but it would be unfair and untrue.

Otherwise, I don't disagree with your conclusions.

I did state it was IMO :rolleyes: yikes.

It was my personal opinion on how hard games have been.
The only way they have got harder IMO is just by adding more guards ;)

My point is....
The chameleon ability is stupid!:mad:
and unlike the rope launcher its unnecessary!:mad:

Shahkulu101
08-08-2015, 06:53 PM
I did state it was IMO :rolleyes: yikes.

It was my personal opinion on how hard games have been.
The only way they have got harder IMO is just by adding more guards ;)

My point is....

This we agree on.

HDinHB
08-08-2015, 07:00 PM
My point is....

This is objectively false :p

Shahkulu101
08-08-2015, 07:06 PM
This is objectively false :p

Why are you so certain that difficulty isn't a thing that can be measured? By definition it is; if someone said easy mode was harder than er...hard mode - they would be wrong. :p

TO_M
08-08-2015, 07:09 PM
fun little tidbit: The rope-dart is probably one of the more stealthier weapons in AC3, In the William Johnson assassination I once used it to kill all the guards that were surrounding the target and I did not get detected once.

Fatal-Feit
08-08-2015, 07:18 PM

ACR same as ACB

I don't disagree with you, but just some minor stuff.

AC4/RO are easier than AC3. They dumbed down a lot of things from AC3, especially the combat, although that isn't to say that it made it a worse game.

ACR is harder than Brotherhood. Enemy archetypes and stuff were made to require more strategic thinking.

That is all. Woosh!

HDinHB
08-08-2015, 08:04 PM
Why are you so certain that difficulty isn't a thing that can be measured? By definition it is; if someone said easy mode was harder than er...hard mode - they would be wrong. :p

Difficulty can be measured, it's just...difficult. You can test the hardness of a stone, and determine that sapphire is harder than sandstone, and diamond is harder than sapphire. You can even create a scale and say "sapphire has a hardness of 9." And it doesn't matter who measures it or when. But there's no quantifiable measure of hardness of a game. Your qualitative analysis is probably more subjective than objective, and different players would have different opinions at different times. Combat got harder, but parkour got easier--is the game easier or harder? For who? UC3 on Crushing mode was easier for me than UC2 on Hard (it was the Yetis). You can compare the difficulty of games, but measuring it is a different story, and measuring it objectively is another thing altogether.

steveeire
08-08-2015, 08:20 PM
lol that reminds of of ME3 which I found easier at its hardest level than I did at normal level.