PDA

View Full Version : A Recap. of Darwin's Life, His Descendant and The Theory Of Evolution

RinoTheBouncer
07-22-2015, 04:16 PM
A RECAP OF DARWIN, HIS DESCENDANT AND THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION

CHARLES DARWIN

was an English naturalist and geologist, best known for his work on Evolution. At some point, he met the Assassin Jacob Frye.

Here’s a timeline of the most notable moments in Darwin’s life, starting from the year 1868, which marks the start of the events of Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate, where Darwin and Frye could’ve likely crossed paths:

1868 July Visits Isle of Wight and meets Alfred Lord Tennyson and Julia Margaret Cameron. Is photographed by Cameron. Publishes The Variation of Animals and Plants Under Domestication.

1869 Publishes 5th edition of Origin. Continues work on descent of man.

1870 Whole year working on descent of man. Various visits to relatives.

1871 Publishes The Descent of Man, and Selection in relation to Sex. Engages in dispute with St George Mivart, adds a new chapter to sixth edition of Origin of Species to rebut Mivart’s claims. Daughter Henrietta marries Richard Litchfield and moves to Bryanston Street in London where Darwin becomes a regular visitor.

1872 Publishes 6th edition of Origin. 13 February to 21 March rents London holiday house at 9 Devonshire St. In October takes a family holiday in a rented house in Sevenoaks, Kent. Is impressed with the veranda and on returning to Down House builds one there. Publishes The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals.

1873 Attends a soiree at George Eliot’s house. Worked on climbing plants and 2nd edition of Descent of man.

1874 A séance is held at his brother’s house in January but Darwin does not attend. ‘The Lord have mercy on us all, if we have to believe in such rubbish.’ 2nd editions of Descent and Coral Reefs published.

1875 Publishes Insectivorous Plants. Gives evidence to the Royal Commission on Subjecting Live Animals to Experiments. Sits to the portrait painter Walter William Ouless, for the family. A copy later made by Ouless for Christ’s College, Cambridge, etched by Paul Rajon. ‘I look a very venerable, acute melancholy old dog’.

1876 During the summer begins to write an autobiographical memoir for his children and future grandchildren. ‘I know that it would have interested me greatly to have read even so short and dull a sketch of the mind of my grandfather written by himself, and what he thought and did, and how he worked.’ This memoir published in edited form in Francis Darwin’s Life and Letters of Charles Darwin (1887) Publishes The Effects of Cross and Self Fertilisation in the Vegetable Kingdom. In September Darwin’s first grandchild is born to Francis and Amy Darwin. Amy dies in childbirth and Francis goes to live with his parents at Down House with the baby, Bernard Darwin. Francis becomes Darwin’s secretary and botanical assistant.

1877 Awarded Honorary LLD from Cambridge University. Publishes The Different Forms of Flowers on Plants of the same Species and ‘A biographical sketch of an Infant’ in the journal Mind which was written up from notes made in 1839-41 on his firstborn, William Darwin.

1878 'The whole of this last year [working on] on the circumnutating Movements of plants & bloom.'

1879 In August takes a family holiday in Coniston in the Lake District. Meets John Ruskin. Publishes a biographical study of his grandfather, Erasmus Darwin. Translated from the German by W.S. Dallas, with a preliminary notice by Charles Darwin, followed by bitter controversy with Samuel Butler after he accuses Darwin of plagiarism. Is painted in oils for the Cambridge Philosophical Society by William Blake Richmond, dismissed by Emma Darwin as ‘quite horrid, so fierce & so dirty’.

1880 Publishes The Power of Movement in Plants…Assisted by Francis Darwin.

1881 July, takes another holiday in the Lake District, based in Ullswater. In August his brother Erasmus dies, and is buried in Down churchyard. Publishes The Formation of Vegetable Mould through the Action of Worms, with observations on their Habits. Bestows money to Kew Gardens for publication of Index Kewensis. Arranges a civil list pension for Wallace. Defends right of scientists to experiment on live animals.

1882 Dies 19 April, aged seventy-three. Buried in Westminster Abbey, 26 April. See his last will and testament here.

BEAGLE 2

The Beagle 2 was a landing spacecraft launched by the European Space Agency to search for evidence of life on Mars in the year 2000. It was named for the HMS Beagle that Charles Darwin sailed on.

Two years prior, Vanessa, a worker at the British Landing Operations Control Centre was bribed by Robert Getas so she could quit her job and spend more time with her children.

When the Beagle 2 landed on 25 December 2003, Vanessa routed all signals to her laptop, causing her fellow employees to assume the landing was a failure.

Using the holidays as an excuse to leave early, she then handed over the laptop to Getas. Getas subsequently thanked her by having a man from Abstergo's Lineage Discovery and Acquisition division kidnap her, after she had mentioned she was actually descended from Darwin.

The Beagle 2 was believed to have crashed until 16 January 2015, when HiRISE imagery revealed the probe had landed on Mars, and that it had only partially deployed its equipment.

VANESSA

Vanessa was a scientist working in the Landing Operations Control Center of the National Space Centre. In the year 2003, she was involved with the launch of the Beagle 2. She was also a descendant of Charles Darwin.

Her genetic memories were relived and studied by an agent of Abstergo Industries in their Project Legacy in 2012.

Around 1998, Vanessa was contacted by Robert Getas, who showed great interest in the LOCC's missions. After being offered a large amount of money, Vanessa agreed to work with him; though over the five years they kept in contact with each other, they never met face to face.
During the holiday season of 2003, Vanessa stayed at the control center with several of her colleagues, as they nervously awaited news of their landing spacecraft, the Beagle 2, which had been launched six days previously. Vanessa intercepted the Beagle 2's signal, and secretly routed the results and control codes to her own laptop. To everyone else, the Mars Express mission was slated to have been a failure.

Immediately after, Vanessa left the building to deliver the laptop to Robert Getas, though she was halted by a security guard. Initially nervous, as she had stolen valuable information, Vanessa calmed down once the guard asked for her signature so that he could clock her out.
Following this, Vanessa traveled to meet her contact at a preordained location, a café. Though she had researched his appearance, she had some trouble spotting Robert in the crowd, which amused him. Afterwards, the two of them sat together and amiably began discussing Vanessa's payment, as well as the Beagle 2's actual progress.

As she and Robert left the café, Vanessa laughed at the irony of her trading off the Beagle 2, as she was a descendant of Charles Darwin, who had formulated the theory of evolution after his expeditions on the HMS Beagle, from which the spacecraft had taken its name.

In response, Robert stared at her for a moment, before proposing a new deal for Vanessa. After Robert offered her the chance to work for him at his office, Vanessa was hesitant, as the money he had just paid her was more than enough for her retirement, though the man was eerily insistent.

Robert advanced on her, saying that "money [was] too easily spent," and that the two of them could "make history" together. Even as Robert insisted that he would fly her with him back to his facility, Vanessa was unnerved by his sudden interest. However, she was equally hesitant to refuse, as Robert still had connections with the money she had been paid.

Upon stepping backwards, Vanessa bumped into a large man, who then covered her face with a cloth, presumably soaked with a drug or sedative, that caused her to lose consciousness. From there on, Vanessa's fate remained a mystery.

FALSE EVIDENCE

January 3, 1997: “I’m writing to in response to your concerns about the rising alarm in the press and the scientific community. The lack of a transitional ancestors from archaic hominids to modern mankind (Homo Sapiens) is no longer safe. As you wrote, we have to act.

We can’t let the truth get out. They’ll find out about the artifacts. It will cause too much disruption, too much chaos. Bury our constructed skeletons near Tim White’s expedition in Ethiopia. We’ll give them their missing link.

The birth of humanity. The truth makes me sick”

"The Tetragrammaton. The 72 names of God. You see? They're all contained within three verses: Exodus 19 through 21. And, get this, you'll like this. If you arrange the four Hebrew letters in God's name within an equilateral triangle, their numerical values add up to the same number: 72.”

―Shaun explaining the password to the other Assassins.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t31.0-8/11709929_1616813351903439_601606238289091732_o.jpg

I-Like-Pie45
07-22-2015, 04:25 PM
Darwin is a liar and agent of the Devil, those beaks were put on the finches by Jehovah to test the faithful

VestigialLlama4
07-22-2015, 04:29 PM
Darwin is obviously an interesting figure to include in a franchise that deals with evolution and inheritance of genes and traits.

1868 is Darwin at the peak of his controversy. Origin of Species is published and it sparks an intellectual revolution across Europe. I am curious how they will work him in since he's a biologist not an inventor. But mostly he'll be involved in some First Civ stuff.

ze_topazio
07-22-2015, 05:00 PM
Darwin may have some involvement in developing some theories that will eventually be used by Vidic in the creation of the Animus.

VestigialLlama4
07-22-2015, 05:29 PM
Darwin may have some involvement in developing some theories that will eventually be used by Vidic in the creation of the Animus.

That's one thing that AC lore has been weak on. The origin of the Animus itself. The concept of genetic memory and the idea of using that to see, interact and record the past.

In Black Flag, the Subject Zero records state that the concept and process existed before and it wasn't invented by Warren Vidic (he merely invented the cumbersome AC1 Animus, which Lucy also worked on and that went operational around the late 21st Century). In the manual for AC1, Vidic cites Carl Jung's theories as an inspiration for the Animus (well Jung was certainly fitting to be a Templar, as opposed to Freud). Anima was a concept in Jungian metaphysics.

ze_topazio
07-22-2015, 07:52 PM
I no longer remember in which game was, AC4 probably, didn't Juno hinted she and the others included the genetic memories thing in humankind genetic code and then came up with the animus tech to view those genetic memories so that one day they could contact Desmond? they must have found a way of giving enough info to the Templars in order to let them invent the machine one day.

The_Kiwi_
07-23-2015, 03:53 AM
A very interesting read
I hadn't thought about how Darwin might be handled in a game where evolution isn't actually why we are here

Mr.Black24
07-23-2015, 05:14 AM
BEAGLE 2

The Beagle 2 was a landing spacecraft launched by the European Space Agency to search for evidence of life on Mars in the year 2000. It was named for the HMS Beagle that Charles Darwin sailed on.

Two years prior, Vanessa, a worker at the British Landing Operations Control Centre was bribed by Robert Getas so she could quit her job and spend more time with her children.

When the Beagle 2 landed on 25 December 2003, Vanessa routed all signals to her laptop, causing her fellow employees to assume the landing was a failure.

Using the holidays as an excuse to leave early, she then handed over the laptop to Getas. Getas subsequently thanked her by having a man from Abstergo's Lineage Discovery and Acquisition division kidnap her, after she had mentioned she was actually descended from Darwin.

The Beagle 2 was believed to have crashed until 16 January 2015, when HiRISE imagery revealed the probe had landed on Mars, and that it had only partially deployed its equipment.

VANESSA

Vanessa was a scientist working in the Landing Operations Control Center of the National Space Centre. In the year 2003, she was involved with the launch of the Beagle 2. She was also a descendant of Charles Darwin.

Her genetic memories were relived and studied by an agent of Abstergo Industries in their Project Legacy in 2012.

Around 1998, Vanessa was contacted by Robert Getas, who showed great interest in the LOCC's missions. After being offered a large amount of money, Vanessa agreed to work with him; though over the five years they kept in contact with each other, they never met face to face.
During the holiday season of 2003, Vanessa stayed at the control center with several of her colleagues, as they nervously awaited news of their landing spacecraft, the Beagle 2, which had been launched six days previously. Vanessa intercepted the Beagle 2's signal, and secretly routed the results and control codes to her own laptop. To everyone else, the Mars Express mission was slated to have been a failure.

Immediately after, Vanessa left the building to deliver the laptop to Robert Getas, though she was halted by a security guard. Initially nervous, as she had stolen valuable information, Vanessa calmed down once the guard asked for her signature so that he could clock her out.
Following this, Vanessa traveled to meet her contact at a preordained location, a café. Though she had researched his appearance, she had some trouble spotting Robert in the crowd, which amused him. Afterwards, the two of them sat together and amiably began discussing Vanessa's payment, as well as the Beagle 2's actual progress.

As she and Robert left the café, Vanessa laughed at the irony of her trading off the Beagle 2, as she was a descendant of Charles Darwin, who had formulated the theory of evolution after his expeditions on the HMS Beagle, from which the spacecraft had taken its name.

In response, Robert stared at her for a moment, before proposing a new deal for Vanessa. After Robert offered her the chance to work for him at his office, Vanessa was hesitant, as the money he had just paid her was more than enough for her retirement, though the man was eerily insistent.

Robert advanced on her, saying that "money [was] too easily spent," and that the two of them could "make history" together. Even as Robert insisted that he would fly her with him back to his facility, Vanessa was unnerved by his sudden interest. However, she was equally hesitant to refuse, as Robert still had connections with the money she had been paid.

Upon stepping backwards, Vanessa bumped into a large man, who then covered her face with a cloth, presumably soaked with a drug or sedative, that caused her to lose consciousness. From there on, Vanessa's fate remained a mystery.

I remember this from Project Legacy. I hope they touch upon this since that story really gotten my attention! Its a chance to make something good out of the Modern Day story, I hope its taken and done well.

Namikaze_17
07-23-2015, 07:49 AM
As always, an interesting read. :)

It will certainly be interesting to see how Darwin is handled in a series that deals with genetics and traits. :rolleyes:

Sorrosyss
07-23-2015, 12:57 PM
When they announced Darwin was in it I instantly jumped to the assumption that it would involve discussions about DNA that would tie into the Animus. Perhaps he comes into contact with a Sage, and somehow becomes aware of the triple helix? That would be fun to play out.

The_Kiwi_
07-23-2015, 01:17 PM
DNA wasn't understand until far later, the double helix was discovered in the 1950s
I highly doubt there'll be any discussions between Darwin and someone about DNA

Sorrosyss
07-23-2015, 03:30 PM
Yeah true, right you are. For some reason I thought he was involved with the discovery of DNA. Way after his time though I see now, my mistake. Still, hopefully he comes across something First Civilisation related to make him question evolution etc. Though looking at his other work, he was involved heavily on plant life too. Wonder if the old Voynich manuscript might show up again - some interesting plant imagery in that.

NondairyGold
07-23-2015, 04:25 PM
I'm hoping we'll see the beginnings of how the two factions became interested in past lives. Opium den's were all the rage, maybe the templar's used these, along with hypnosis techniques to test theories they had on helping induce memories of past lives. We know the Bedlam asylum will make an appearance so it's entirely possible these people were driven mad by the bleeding effect. This in turn inspired Darwin's theory of evolution.

VestigialLlama4
07-23-2015, 05:49 PM
We know the Bedlam asylum will make an appearance so it's entirely possible these people were driven mad by the bleeding effect. This in turn inspired Darwin's theory of evolution.

Darwin's theory of evolution was inspired by years of study and fieldwork, Bedlam asylum was the last place he'd visit.

NondairyGold
07-23-2015, 08:59 PM
Darwin's theory of evolution was inspired by years of study and fieldwork, Bedlam asylum was the last place he'd visit.

This is a video game, it's based on historical events it's not actual events. If they can put Connor on a horse with Paul Revere, they can have Darwin "inspired" by an asylum and it's goings on. I thought it would be something interesting to talk about as this place is dead. If you'd like to dismiss it out of hand then that's your prerogative. The series isn't known for it's historical accuracy.

RinoTheBouncer
07-26-2015, 09:18 AM
I personally hope that Darwin's appearance will serve more than just a feature of a well-known figure. I hope it will have to do with the First Civilization and perhaps something else that he discovered and was eventually scrapped/hidden just like Tesla's work revolving around free energy.

I'd be really happy if Darwin and the First Civilization play a pivotal role in this upcoming adventure.

Hans684
07-26-2015, 09:50 AM
I personally hope that Darwin's appearance will serve more than just a feature of a well-known figure. I hope it will have to do with the First Civilization and perhaps something else that he discovered and was eventually scrapped/hidden just like Tesla's work revolving around free energy.

I'd be really happy if Darwin and the First Civilization play a pivotal role in this upcoming adventure.

With huge impact on MD, their memories has to be important.

RinoTheBouncer
07-27-2015, 08:28 AM
With huge impact on MD, their memories has to be important.

Yes!

And we did try to revisit various parts of history, briefly through time loops, so maybe this time, a time loop that takes us to First Civ. times would be a lot better than just a fast run through a collapsing simulator of an historical city. This time, they could add dialogue. They can make the time loop more meaningful by having it show dialogues and cutscenes, briefly, rather than just going from point A to point B in time.

Hans684
07-27-2015, 08:48 AM
Yes!

And we did try to revisit various parts of history, briefly through time loops, so maybe this time, a time loop that takes us to First Civ. times would be a lot better than just a fast run through a collapsing simulator of an historical city. This time, they could add dialogue. They can make the time loop more meaningful by having it show dialogues and cutscenes, briefly, rather than just going from point A to point B in time.

Except Arno himself never visited them, only his avatar. Those time loops are filler within filler, why waste time on a setting in 3 different eras when you can use that on MD? They was just there with no purpose other "look a timer period that you want, so we will have you visit it". The loops where nothing but escapes, we went trough them because we where Abstergo was looking for us. Nothing more. I'd rather a big mini open world in the same city as the ancestor with both a MD protagonist and missions.

Sorrosyss
07-27-2015, 12:57 PM
Well they said in a recent interview that they may reuse existing art assets to expand the modern day. If I was to wager, I would say we may see a slightly re textured London featuring in the modern day. Though I'm pretty sure that Rifts will be back as well.