PDA

View Full Version : Corey May has left Ubisoft and joins Certain Affinity

VoXngola
07-22-2015, 03:30 PM
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/07/22/assassins-creed-scriptwriter-corey-may-leaves-ubisoft-joins-certain-affinity.aspx?utm_content=buffer9eef3&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I don't know what to say. It's a surprising turn of events. He was there with AC day 1, he created it together with Patrice and all the other veteran developers. He was the lead writer of the franchise. And now, after Patrice and Jade, he ,too, left.

He's saying that AC is in "capable" hands. Hopefully Darby or Jeffrey take up his position.

What do you think about this? I mean, it's Corey...damn.

I-Like-Pie45
07-22-2015, 03:54 PM
PERSONALLY l THINK THAT COREY REALIZED THAT HE WAS ON A SINKING SHIP AND DECIDED TO JUMP WHILE HE STILL COULD

kosmoscreed
07-22-2015, 03:56 PM
I believe he was not working full time with Ubisoft anymore, I guess is a logical move. Step by step, the key people that created AC is leaving or getting kicked out.

I wish him luck!.

VestigialLlama4
07-22-2015, 04:04 PM
I hope they put Darby McDevitt in charge

Sushiglutton
07-22-2015, 04:07 PM
Best of luck to him!

I hope they put Darby McDevitt in charge

100% agree, Darby is the chosen one!

Hans684
07-22-2015, 04:08 PM
He can make his own luck, he's talented enough.

At least we still have Darby.

twenty_glyphs
07-22-2015, 04:28 PM
Wow. This is certainly sad, considering he felt like one of the last publicly known faces who had worked on the series since the beginning. At the same time, AC3's story certainly wasn't my cup of tea, and who knows how much input he's had on the direction of Assassin's Creed since he transitioned to the narrative director role after AC3. I don't think the series' story will necessarily suffer just because he's leaving, but I'm sure he will be missed.

This makes me miss the days of getting sucked into AC2 and Brotherhood's stories though. Sigh. I wish someone would find a way to recapture the sense of mystery and mystique that the first 3 games had. Darby seems to get some stuff, but no one seems to have recaptured the sense of historical conspiracy or found any way to tell an interesting story in the present since Brotherhood. It's unbelievable that I've gone from caring so much about the story in early 2011 to hardly caring about the narrative at all. I really hope the narrative brain trust has been generating ideas since 2012/2013 and can finally put them to use in Syndicate, but I'm pretty cynical at this point.

ze_topazio
07-22-2015, 05:01 PM
I wish him the best of luck.

rob.davies2014
07-22-2015, 05:23 PM
I've become more and more disillusioned with the franchise as time has gone by and now I've really given up hope :( Corey May was one of the early AC visionaries and one of the few people who could have taken it back to the way it used to be.

I don't think they'll ever recapture the magic of the first few games. Sad times.

I'd thank him, if I could, for everything he's done with AC and wish him good luck for the future.

Shahkulu101
07-22-2015, 05:24 PM
Quite sad to see, since he's been here since the start. He helped create a fantastic universe, his contribution to the series has been exceptional. Glad that he's left on good terms, and wish him all the best in his future endeavors. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on what Certain Affinity are doing from now on.

I am wondering about one thing. Does this affect his current role with Assassin's Creed Syndicate or will he continue with that and then move on? I also echo the sentiment that Darby should be in charge from now on, although that could mean he would work on fewer individual games.

dimbismp
07-22-2015, 05:34 PM
I am wondering about one thing. Does this affect his current role with Assassin's Creed Syndicate or will he continue with that and then move on?.
What i understood from Loomer's Interview with Yohalem,is that the story and the involvement of Corey was pretty much done back in E3.Besides,i don't think that he would leave in the middle of the process

LieutenantRex
07-22-2015, 08:11 PM
There goes the last of the old guard. Tragic, really.

lothario-da-be
07-22-2015, 10:30 PM
And with every person who has been there since AC1 leaving Ubi, AC loses a bit of it's soul, the only thing that (unnaturally) keeps AC alive is Yves.

SpiritOfNevaeh
07-22-2015, 11:50 PM
1. Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

2. I wish him well.

3. Darby would be an awesome replacement :)

Xstantin
07-22-2015, 11:52 PM
well, best of luck

RA503
07-23-2015, 12:00 AM
I think that Corey have more influence in AC than Patrice,is Corey who created the First Civ, based in a similar precursors of the Ultima series : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_(series) (he said that in a interview for a brazilian site)and he wrote the scrip for 3 games of the saga, the most of any writter.

A thing that I don't understand is how he wrote Batman Arkham Origins,I don't know that a writer can wrote things for other companies(AO is from WB montreal and have noting to do with ubsoft).

SixKeys
07-23-2015, 12:37 AM
I think that Corey have more influence in AC than Patrice,is Corey who created the First Civ, based in a similar precursors of the Ultima series : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_(series) (he said that in a interview for a brazilian site)and he wrote the scrip for 3 games of the saga, the most of any writter.

A thing that I don't understand is how he wrote Batman Arkham Origins,I don't know that a writer can wrote things for other companies(AO is from WB montreal and have noting to do with ubsoft).

From what I understand, Corey was working as a freelancer for the past few years. That's why he could move between studios working on whatever project they offered.

I wish him good luck. But I don't really see how this makes a difference for the AC brand. Corey hasn't been involved since AC3 apart from being a lore consultant or something like that. He came back for Syndicate but now he seems ready to move on.

frodrigues55
07-23-2015, 12:41 AM
Does it really have any sort of impact on the series, though?

The first civ, modern day and overall lore is a pure mess now. It has been a mess for a while - and its actually getting in the way of a good story.

There's nothing really good holding the games together anymore, so I assume having compelling stories contained within each game is what's important.

Altair1789
07-23-2015, 12:52 AM
He did very well with AC3. I hope he has a lot more opportunity there

RVSage
07-23-2015, 01:09 AM
It is sad indeed .. But I wish him good luck for his next AAA story...He is a great writer... Wrt to AC franchise.. We still have the ever mysterious Darby :D and Jeff... Jeff did well in black flag and revelations

D.I.D.
07-23-2015, 12:37 PM
None of this is necessarily that bad. If there's one auteur at the centre of a game and that person leaves then naturally you'd be concerned about the continuation of the series, but AC didn't really have that since it was birthed by three people. Arguably, Patrice Désilets was the one among them who was closest to that mastermind position (given that so much of AC1 is obviously a product of Sands of Time), but nobody in this thread gave up on the series when he left. Corey May has been at some distance from the project working with the ALICE studio and on other games projects, so again, there isn't a particular reason to be glum about him finally stepping off.

Look at it this way; every single person who contributes to these forums on a regular basis has a little goblin inside his or her head saying, "Listen to me! I know how to make this series better. I know what's been going wrong for years". Think about what that means. Looking on the bright side, every time someone leaves there will be tons of people clamouring for those positions, all of them having that same itch, all of them desperate to build on the past and improve the future. Maybe it'll be someone inside the company who'll finally have the authority to make big changes, or maybe it'll be someone from outside: perhaps some great professional writer from films, TV or comics who is especially skilled at making sequel-based/episodic stories work.

Sorrosyss
07-23-2015, 12:53 PM
Best of luck to him. Now the question is who gets the torch, Darby or Jeffrey? Though I wouldn't object to them both working on all future games.

Zafar1981
07-24-2015, 10:04 AM
​Meanwhile in Montreal Canada.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xft1/v/t1.0-9/11745745_10153412141326007_3078846205501940309_n.j pg?oh=896cd70c4ccb79af7b805e139e60e467&oe=5655A0BA&__gda__=1444310600_66df38dea75ad4b24cef166af0dfed0 2

VestigialLlama4
07-24-2015, 10:26 AM
None of this is necessarily that bad. If there's one auteur at the centre of a game and that person leaves then naturally you'd be concerned about the continuation of the series, but AC didn't really have that since it was birthed by three people. Arguably, Patrice Désilets was the one among them who was closest to that mastermind position (given that so much of AC1 is obviously a product of Sands of Time), but nobody in this thread gave up on the series when he left. Corey May has been at some distance from the project working with the ALICE studio and on other games projects, so again, there isn't a particular reason to be glum about him finally stepping off.

Patrice Desilets was heavily involved in the conceptualization stage, as he says in interviews that is his main strength. The Animus, Desmond and the Assassins and their creed comes from him. He's also the history buff so that passion fed itself into AC2 as well. So I would say that a great deal of AC and its ideas came from him primarily. His idea of "organic design" that is the interface being a real thing for the player character was also inspired by that. The whole idea of social stealth and blending in was ideas that came in from theatre and acting as well. Of course this is an IP and once the concepts are created and set in stone and the IP becomes a major brand as it did with AC2 then PD's role becomes less important. Already in AC2, many of the side missions and stuff were done by multiple studios and the Tomb Levels weren't something that Desilets directly oversaw (although its heavily inspired by Sands of Time).

Look at it this way; every single person who contributes to these forums on a regular basis has a little goblin inside his or her head saying, "Listen to me! I know how to make this series better. I know what's been going wrong for years". Think about what that means.

What that means is that fans have certain ideas and expectations but have little awareness that other people might be interested in, or if it could make an interesting game. There is a difference between fanworks and professional writers and I don't mean just in terms of quality. A Professional Writer will always write with an eye and ear for new audiences and will present the story in a new fashion and manner, whereas most fanwork is essentially devoted to pet peeves, minutiae and marginalia that is of interest only to fellow fans.

Looking on the bright side, every time someone leaves there will be tons of people clamouring for those positions, all of them having that same itch, all of them desperate to build on the past and improve the future. Maybe it'll be someone inside the company who'll finally have the authority to make big changes, or maybe it'll be someone from outside: perhaps some great professional writer from films, TV or comics who is especially skilled at making sequel-based/episodic stories work.

In comics, you often have the case where after the original writer and artist leave, a new writer and artist comes in and works on it. In a lot of cases these new writers and artists are "fans" who do scabwork and hackwork and essentially use the comics to write fanfiction i.e. stories unlikely to interest people who aren't the already converted, with very little references to things outside of AC continuity and no real ideas on where to take the story forward. ROGUE is one example, its full of references and connections to AC lore but it doesn't have anything to appeal to people who are new to the game nor does it feature an interest and involvement in history. Black Flag on the other hand or AC3 brings new fans into the series and takes the story to new directions.

dxsxhxcx
07-24-2015, 12:31 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xft1/v/t1.0-9/11745745_10153412141326007_3078846205501940309_n.j pg?oh=896cd70c4ccb79af7b805e139e60e467&oe=5655A0BA&__gda__=1444310600_66df38dea75ad4b24cef166af0dfed0 2

http://oi61.tinypic.com/288s3eu.jpg

D.I.D.
07-24-2015, 12:40 PM

Absolutely, I agree with all of that. It could go either way -- or that third way you identified, where the product isn't necessarily terrible but you start to worry about the fan-fiction issue. Then again, it could be like Doctor Who which has been passed through the hands of generations of fans-turned-creators and remains very strong.

I just think it would be a shame to slip into the "last nail in the coffin" mode of thought which seems to be creeping in here and there. Anyone who was dissatisfied with recent ACs ought to be cautiously optimistic about new blood (or new power for old blood!).

VoXngola
07-24-2015, 01:30 PM

:O Where is that from?