PDA

View Full Version : suggestion for future trees

XyZspineZyX
08-12-2003, 11:32 PM
i've noticed that when flying at very low levels, sometimes you look at the forests at a certain angle, and they disappear completely. this happens to me especially when flying over a body of water with many small islands along the shore. sometimes you will not see the trees until it is too late and then of course you die. if in the future sims, forests are done the same way, with the multi layered bitmaps, perhaps a texture could be put on the side of the forests so that you could tell there was a forest there, even from the side.
note: i run at low graphics settings, so if at high graphics settings, this is not a problem for some reason, then this is not an issue. also if no one else is bothered by this, then it doesn't matter either.

XyZspineZyX
08-12-2003, 11:32 PM
i've noticed that when flying at very low levels, sometimes you look at the forests at a certain angle, and they disappear completely. this happens to me especially when flying over a body of water with many small islands along the shore. sometimes you will not see the trees until it is too late and then of course you die. if in the future sims, forests are done the same way, with the multi layered bitmaps, perhaps a texture could be put on the side of the forests so that you could tell there was a forest there, even from the side.
note: i run at low graphics settings, so if at high graphics settings, this is not a problem for some reason, then this is not an issue. also if no one else is bothered by this, then it doesn't matter either.

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 12:46 AM
A better idea is to eliminate 3D trees entirely, as they have no effect on gaming experience except flashing between grafix modes.

Does anybody wish *alot* more of the landscape could be the the farm crop patterns? Those patterns have a very clean 2D tree grafix, and lots of "fake" roads too that vehicles don't follow. Most Sexy. Pay attention to the 2D crop patterns, we need maps covered with them.

Next:: Crop circles, please. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 05:09 PM
LEXX_Luthor wrote:
- A better idea is to eliminate 3D trees entirely, as
- they have no effect on gaming experience except
- flashing between grafix modes

well I suppose for those mainly interested in on-line dogfighting, any thing which is only eye-candy but affects FPS is seen as useless

There are however a majority of players who only fly off-line..........do alot of ground attack......or also like to use the ground/tank battle aspect of the sim, who enjoy as realistic a landscape as they can get

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 05:43 PM
3D trees are good for hiding things such as artillery pieces etc but hit the frame rates a bit. That's good for people who didn't build the mission but, if you did build it, you'd know where all the objects are. The trees also give better screenshots at low level too. Now only we had splines of trees available, for use in the FMB, so that we could drag hedges over the map....

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 11:08 PM
1. Lots of us ground attack in DF servers - in fact, there are several that host DF maps that are built pretty much just for it.

2. There are "splines" of trees in the FMB - they're in the "Objects" menu, but I can't recall their number.

Hmmm, am I becoming one of the few that think that a sim named IL-2 should pay strict attention to ground attack?

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 11:18 PM
Actually, he's talking about the forests, not the individual 3-D trees. The forests are done with overlapping 2-D graphics in order to avoid framerate nosedive. They look absolutely HEAVENLY from above, but when you're flying at or below treetop level, it's really hard to tell there's a forest there at all.

"Oh no, the V-1 Doodlebug is heading for our bunghole!" ---David

"...I possess the wings of faith. Though heavy on my shoulder (no measurement can prove their weight), still a burden are they not to me. I am the challenger of gravity." ---Emperor

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the reply BA Dart but the trees you mean in the object viewer are just objects and not splines. A spline is a banding tool and used in the same way that you enter waypoints onto the map and they are not of fixed length. These are suitable for putting down roads, walls, fences and hedgerows etc. The graphics usually have a lower polygon count than the normal type of free standing objects.

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 09:11 AM
i think your idea for verticle textures of some sort, is a good one. It would benifit us all if these were added, and as the 2D modeling is done to reduce FPS, adding another layer wouldn't create much trouble.... infact, they could just be added to the edges, as they'd only be neccesary there...

I do however believe the Trees / Forests have a place in this sim... the same way that i wouldn't want to fly over a "Sprite" Mountain... i don't want to fly over a forest that's just drawn into the dirt... if that were the case, why don't we just make a giant box w/ Sky blue coloring, and stenciled clouds on the walls?

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 10:21 AM
/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Eating my words now. Patch made the trees ~much~ MUCH faster. Only small drop in framerate when trees flash into focus. Amazing.

Gotta get a new video card anyway.