PDA

View Full Version : CW-21b - Please help with reference (Nederlanders ook!)

Jeronimo83
04-03-2004, 04:47 AM
Hello,

If there's one plane that I'd like to see in the Pacific theater it's the CW-21b Demon a.k.a. Interceptor. Only about 24 aircraft of this type actually saw combat over the Dutch East Indies against Japan. They were the property of the Dutch Royal airforce. The aircraft is beautiful and extremely interesting performance-wise (it has a much better climbing rate then a Bf109 of its time!!!). It was wiped out in WW2 because of it being outnumbered by the Japanese Zero's.

I am modeling its cockpit at this very moment. The problem is, that reference is very scarce. However, I've been able to obtain some quite good quality photo's of the cockpit, but I'm having trouble with some parts. Some text on the equipment is not really readable. This is the biggest problem. Plus the fact that I cannot see what gunsight was used.
I've got some pictures that I'd like to upload to a site, so that people can give some reasonable comment on this lack of information, and make assumptions on their knowledge.
For example: a lot of the instruments are US-native, but have been overpainted by Dutch text. If someone can find the same instrument, with clear US text on it, I can translate it to Dutch to match the original aircraft.

If someone would be some kind to upload the pictures I have, I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Jeronimo

PS: I've (partially) made the cockpits for the P-38, IAR80/81 and Spitfires in FB.

Jeronimo83
04-03-2004, 04:47 AM
Hello,

If there's one plane that I'd like to see in the Pacific theater it's the CW-21b Demon a.k.a. Interceptor. Only about 24 aircraft of this type actually saw combat over the Dutch East Indies against Japan. They were the property of the Dutch Royal airforce. The aircraft is beautiful and extremely interesting performance-wise (it has a much better climbing rate then a Bf109 of its time!!!). It was wiped out in WW2 because of it being outnumbered by the Japanese Zero's.

I am modeling its cockpit at this very moment. The problem is, that reference is very scarce. However, I've been able to obtain some quite good quality photo's of the cockpit, but I'm having trouble with some parts. Some text on the equipment is not really readable. This is the biggest problem. Plus the fact that I cannot see what gunsight was used.
I've got some pictures that I'd like to upload to a site, so that people can give some reasonable comment on this lack of information, and make assumptions on their knowledge.
For example: a lot of the instruments are US-native, but have been overpainted by Dutch text. If someone can find the same instrument, with clear US text on it, I can translate it to Dutch to match the original aircraft.

If someone would be some kind to upload the pictures I have, I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Jeronimo

PS: I've (partially) made the cockpits for the P-38, IAR80/81 and Spitfires in FB.

heywooood
04-03-2004, 11:44 AM
The Demon !

Chennault wouldn't let his pilots fly them in combat - period.

Kinda like a deathtrap with no armour or selfsealing tanks.. but the pilots did love to fly them around in non-combat hops between AVG bases and the CAMCO factory.. and the Chinese pilots trained in them.. they were ok for advanced training.

They climbed like a bat outta hell as they say, and Chennault was desperate to get his defenders up above the incoming streams of Japanese bombers as quickly as possible - and the Demons could do it - they were just not safe enough for the pilots to risk it.

.. sorry - didnt mean to change the subject.

Adair_Smith
04-03-2004, 08:03 PM
One of the most beautiful looking fighters I've ever seen! Isn't there a two seater version presered somewhere in the US though?

clint-ruin
04-03-2004, 08:15 PM
http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/URG/cw21.html

Thing looks like it's about to flip over even when it's on the ground :>

http://home.iprimus.com.au/djgwen/fb/leninkoba.jpg

FltLt_HardBall
04-03-2004, 08:46 PM
Post a request at netwings, too. they're always a good source of resources and cameraderie.

netwings link. (http://www.netwings.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=list&forum=DCForumID43&archive=)

necrobaron
04-03-2004, 09:46 PM
Excellent! I was hoping someone would do this one! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"Not all who wander are lost."

DIRTY-MAC
04-04-2004, 11:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adair_Smith:
One of the most beautiful looking fighters I've ever seen! Isn't there a two seater version presered somewhere in the US though?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://gr.fipu.krasnoyarsk.edu/camms/archive/ww2_fighters/0033/pics/0033_144_1.jpg

Jeronimo83
04-04-2004, 12:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adair_Smith:
One of the most beautiful looking fighters I've ever seen! Isn't there a two seater version presered somewhere in the US though?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If there is ANYONE who is able to provide me with pictures of it, especially of the cockpit, I would be extremely grateful.