PDA

View Full Version : The Inevitable remasters for current gen consoles.

steveeire
07-20-2015, 12:07 PM
Would you like to see anything added to the older games such as the protagonist lifting the hood up and down or combat animations, or is a graphical upgrade just fine.

VestigialLlama4
07-20-2015, 12:37 PM
Would you like to see anything added to the older games such as the protagonist lifting the hood up and down or combat animations, or is a graphical upgrade just fine.

I would generally like them to be remastered as it is, especially since in the case of AC1 and AC2, Patrice Desilets is no longer there to supervise the transition.

Putting the hood up and down in earlier games is a hard proposition anyway, like I doubt there's a model for Altair without his hood. The only time we do see him without his hood is Old Altair in Revelations. You can do it for Ezio since he has a full-face model but he has his hood down by default for many conversations anyway and in Brotherhood he's supposed to be fully in Mentor mode. Its only in Revelations with Old Ezio where he's with Sofia who he's courting that his hood comes down.

For AC3 I wouldn't mind a "Director's Cut" since a lot of stuff was cut out and too many features was put in. Like if they put that cut dialogue of Connor's final monologue back in the main game, as Darby McDevitt also feels should have been done. Then again, I highly doubt AC3 will be remastered for PS4 and Xbox One.

They'll do AC1 and the Ezio games if at all.

steveeire
07-20-2015, 12:48 PM
I could see them doing AC3 as well, if you look at the games that are being remastered at the minute, they are only about 2 or 3 years old, they just came out before the current gen consoles or shortly after, on last gen console obviously.

Alphacos007
07-20-2015, 02:23 PM
Some new textures would be welcome, but I don't want them changing the gameplay, just an HD remaster like most PS4 titles are is OK by me.

VestigialLlama4
07-20-2015, 02:27 PM
I could see them doing AC3 as well, if you look at the games that are being remastered at the minute, they are only about 2 or 3 years old, they just came out before the current gen consoles or shortly after, on last gen console obviously.

Yeah but AC3, even though its a good game, doesn't have the same prestige and demand as the other games do. Altair and the Ezio games define the brand in a way that AC3 does not. Black Flag is already out on Next-Gen consoles, it was ported at launch since PS4 came out that time, so that would be the representation of the New World games.

Remasters cost money and it depends on market demand. AC3 sold brilliantly on the old consoles but the sales started slowing down towards the end and I guess Ubisoft will think that whoever was interested in it would have bought it by now. For a long running franchise, its in their interest to keep the foundation games on newer platforms. Also remasters happen more with console exclusives than multi-platform titles. Uncharted 4 is coming next year and all three Uncharted games are coming on PS4, then the Team Ico games were remastered on PS3 and I believe it will come on PSN soon, Journey is coming as well. All of them are exclusive to PlayStation (and hence make the PS4 the clear winner over Xbox One).

Ubisoft have not been consistent on remaster issues. I can see Ubisoft putting remasters for AC1 and AC2 (and maybe Brotherhood, Revelations as well) because those are foundational representative games of AC as an IP and Ubisoft as a brand. But then you know they never did a remaster Next-Gen port of Sands of Time for instance. They did do one for Beyond Good and Evil and I guess for Rayman they have done one. So there's no consistency there.

Altair1789
07-20-2015, 07:30 PM
I wouldn't like a remaster, the game's story is messed up as is, and I feel if they remaster any games they'll edit whatever they can (cutscenes in AC1, different missions). For that reason, I think what they should do is make the Helix Menu missions playable. Give us a few fun missions to play in the current engine as our favorite old protagonists, and some new ones. A Bloodlines HD wouldn't be a terrible idea though

Dieinthedark
07-20-2015, 08:28 PM
I would absolutely LOVE remasters of both AC1 and AC2, untouched except for new lighting, textures/materials. None of the new animations that they're using, no new climbing mechanics. Just properly reskinned and not the mess of their Splinter Cell HD Trilogy.

If they really wanted something cool, pull a Halo remaster and allow us to switch between old gen and remaster at the push of a button. And in that case I wouldn't mind some new content added like say Solomon's Temple being an actual level like AC2 tombs/lairs instead of just starting us there. The kingdom could be improved as far as environmental detail.

My biggest things are that I wouldn't want Altair to be re voiced. Yes, even though his American voice doesn't fit the time period I still identify his voice with his character. And secondly, AC1's color palette was semi drab, don't change that to make it look like a modern game. The choice of color palette contributed to the atmosphere of AC1 which has still been the best of all the AC games as far as I'm concerned. The bright and vivid colors of AC2 or even ACR would stand out nicely should those be remastered but I'd been fine with just the numbered titles (AC1 - AC3) being remastered. Mainly 1 and 2.

Anykeyer
07-21-2015, 09:44 AM
Its an annual franchise. You are supposed to get a new toy each year and forget about older stuff. They wont do remasters, just like Activision wont make COD remasters.

VestigialLlama4
07-21-2015, 06:48 PM
Its an annual franchise. You are supposed to get a new toy each year and forget about older stuff. They wont do remasters, just like Activision wont make COD remasters.

That's a pity, I really like the first two World War 2 games, hate everything that came afterwards.

steveeire
07-21-2015, 08:10 PM

And who set that rule into stone? and going the way they are going it won't be a annual franchise for much longer.

VestigialLlama4
07-21-2015, 08:23 PM
And who set that rule into stone? and going the way they are going it won't be a annual franchise for much longer.

Its just a tendency. Its very hard to convince people to remaster an old game especially for a third party publisher with multi-platform titles. Like you don't have the original Thief Games getting a HD re-release for instance. You instead have them do Thief 2014, which became a Dishonored knock-off. Max Payne 1 and 2 were pretty good old-gen titles for instance but they aren't out on new consoles. GTA San Andreas was ported to new consoles last year in what turned out to be a bad port. Ubisoft likewise have never ported The Sands of Time (aka only good PoP game after POP1) onto Xbox 360.

There are a number of other cool PC and old Console releases (PS2, Xbox, NGC) that never got to be revived. Remasters are actually very rare -- Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, Wind Waker HD, Duck Tales Remastered, The Orange Box (and again no Half-Life 1), Beyond Good and Evil HD. A couple of decent James Bond games in the EA Library never got updated revival - Nightfire and Everything or Nothing. No One Lives Forever is another.

I mean its different with Nintendo and Playstation, it is in their interests to maintain their library because those are exclusive console properties. Zelda and Mario are Nintendo only. Playstation has God of War, Team Ico games, Naughty Dog's titles (Uncharted, The Last of Us), Journey and From Software's Demon Souls and Bloodborne. (Got to say, Playstation has Xbox beat in terms of exclusive titles).

Anykeyer
07-22-2015, 12:10 PM

Game publishers. When asked for remake they just add the most popular/defining features from original into their new game. Or ignore.

Sushiglutton
07-22-2015, 12:39 PM
I agree with Anykeyer that I don't think a remaster is inevitable at all. That said what I would like the most is an AC2 remaster. Both graphical and with gameplay tweaks. Perhaps parkour down, smoother combat, corner cover+kills, running assassinations.