PDA

View Full Version : Question Regarding Gold Pack

BigBoy01
03-07-2004, 11:41 AM
Just picked up the Gold Pack
No mention in the little manual or the readmes on the disks as to whether or not any past patches are needed to fix "bugs". It does say apply the Ace Expansion Pack over versions 1.0 or 1.21 only (not 1.22?).
so my questions are:
1. What needs to be applied in what order to have a fully up to date, debugged, IL2FB, and in what order?
2. Will the A.E.P. work with the 1.22 patch?
3. Will just Flights Battle Over Europe work with all of the above?

BigBoy01
03-07-2004, 11:41 AM
Just picked up the Gold Pack
No mention in the little manual or the readmes on the disks as to whether or not any past patches are needed to fix "bugs". It does say apply the Ace Expansion Pack over versions 1.0 or 1.21 only (not 1.22?).
so my questions are:
1. What needs to be applied in what order to have a fully up to date, debugged, IL2FB, and in what order?
2. Will the A.E.P. work with the 1.22 patch?
3. Will just Flights Battle Over Europe work with all of the above?

cd.jakevas
03-07-2004, 11:46 AM
Just install a clean copy of Il2(im assuming u never had it installed), and then install Ace expansion pack. Im not sure about Battle over europe, but im 99.9 percent sure it will work fine(i dont have it). Because all it adds are skins and missions.

http://members.cox.net/jakevas/sig7.jpg

Tully__
03-07-2004, 12:18 PM
There are a couple of things that don't work if AEP is installed over most 1.22 installs, as the 1.22 patch set some of the files that need to be updated as "Read Only". Those files will not be overwritten when AEP installs.

Your best bet is a clean re-install then AEP, but if you already have a 1.22 install and don't want to uninstall and start over, there's a list posted by Oleg in Oleg's Ready Room of the files that need to have their settings changed before installing AEP (or that have to be manually edited after the install, if you want to do it that way).

=================================================

http://members.optusnet.com.au/tully_78th/Corsair.jpg (http://www.mudmovers.com/sturmovik_101/FAQ.htm)

IL2 Forums Moderator
Forum Terms of Use (http://www.ubi.com/US/Info/TermsOfUse.htm)

Salut
Tully

BigBoy01
03-07-2004, 05:35 PM
Clean install plus 1.22 then A.E.P. or skip 1.22, just 1.0 plus A.E.P.

Thanks.

JR_Greenhorn
03-07-2004, 05:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BigBoy01:
Clean install plus 1.22 then A.E.P. or skip 1.22, just 1.0 plus A.E.P.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Skip 1.22.

h009291
03-07-2004, 05:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>There are a couple of things that don't work if AEP is installed over most 1.22
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Such as?

http://www.medals.org.uk/united-kingdom/images/uk654.jpg

LeChuck59
03-07-2004, 05:55 PM
"...there's a list posted by Oleg in Oleg's Ready Room of the files that need to have their settings changed before installing AEP"

BigBoy01
03-07-2004, 06:14 PM
Thanks guys, I'll uninstall my present 1.1 version and clean install just the gold pack then try B.O.E.on top.

Maple_Tiger
03-07-2004, 09:12 PM
Dosen't the Fb gold pack already contain AEP or version 2?

That is what i orderd. I dont think you need to wory about aplying any patchs yet. Once you instal FB Gold you will already have 2.0

Capt. 361stMapleTiger.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid78/pd6c878f0006c224805da6c9645408b41/fb291d3e.jpg

Proud member of the FBAA and Nutty Philosohpy Club.

Skycat_2
03-08-2004, 12:11 AM
The Gold Pack is simply 'Forgotten Battles' and 'Ace Expansion Pack' in the same box. Three CDs in one box!

Since AEP is designed to install over FB v1.0, and contains the 'free' material of upgrade patch 1.21, it stands to reason that you'll save yourself time and trouble if you just skip the FB patches.

So, install your Gold Pack discs and disregard the downloadable patches (until the AEP patch is released) ... many FB owners are being advised to uninstall or reinstall to version 1.0 before installing AEP to avoid some anomolies anyhow. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/53.gif

Mitlov47
03-08-2004, 01:19 AM
I'll be picking up AEP soon. I'm currently running FB v1.21. If I uninstall FB, will I lose all my skins and saved QMB/FMB templates?

---------------------------

"I hear the roar of a big machine; Two worlds and in between.
Love lost, fire at will; Dum-dum bullets and shoot to kill.
I hear dive bombers and Empire down, Empire down..."
--Sisters of Mercy

KI-84-1a -- "Kaoru"

Bartsimpson-
03-08-2004, 03:47 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Skycat_2:
The Gold Pack is simply 'Forgotten Battles' and 'Ace Expansion Pack' in the same box. Three CDs in one box!

Since AEP is designed to install over FB v1.0, and contains the 'free' material of upgrade patch 1.21, it stands to reason that you'll save yourself time and trouble if you just skip the FB patches.

So why would you need to buy the gold pack if the ace pack has all the patches , in other words do'es the f/b in gold pack or ace in gold pack have the patches up to 1.22 ??

Bartman .

http://www.nightbomber.com/forums/images2004/header_right.gif

tsisqua
03-08-2004, 04:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bartsimpson-:
So why would you need to buy the gold pack if the ace pack has all the patches , in other words do'es the f/b in gold pack or ace in gold pack have the patches up to 1.22 ?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, if I understand correctly, the FB version in the Gold pack is version 1.0 The ADDON is what contains all the previous patches. The Gold pack is for the new FB pilot that needs both in ordr to be up to date with the rest of us. Those that have FB already do not need the Gold Pack, unless they just want it as a collectable.

Tsisqua

http://server5.uploadit.org/files/tsisqua-nedChristie.jpg
Tsalagi Asgaya Galvladi

BigBoy01
03-08-2004, 05:13 AM
That's what I wasn't sure of , if the A.E.P. also had the patch updates included as there was no specific mention of that in the manual or readmes. Apparently it does. I have IL2FB patched to version 1.1 already installed so a careful uninstall and search for any leftover folders is the next order of business. I bought the Gold Pack because I wanted a backup IL2FB disk (as I usually do with any sim that I end up liking enough to keep on my HD), and to continue to support these developers who have shown a real "service and support after the sale" attitude, going back to the initial release of the first IL2. If they keep building add ons I'll continue buying them. "Bug" fixes aside, I feel they are entitled to continue to earn fair compensation for all of the new planes, etc., and they've given them to us for free, (heresy, I know). (I also believe the LOMAC team will end up doing the same considering how they supported the Flanker line - if they don't give up in disgust feeling it's just not worth the effort after all the whining and verbal abuse they've taken on many forums).

Yep, haven't experience the satisfaction of the thrill of the kill that I get with the IL series since CFS2. Even cought my self nevously laughing after the first one - now that, for me, is immersion.

But, I'm gettin' off topic.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Bartsimpson-
03-08-2004, 05:24 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tsisqua:

No, if I understand correctly, the FB version in the Gold pack is version 1.0 The _ADDON_ is what contains all the previous patches. The Gold pack is for the new FB pilot that needs both in ordr to be up to date with the rest of us. Those that have FB already do _not_ need the Gold Pack, unless they just want it as a collectable.

Tsisqua .

Thanks Tsisqua,

For taking time to read, understand and reply to my issue , hope this will help others also to understand what disk has the patches up to 1.22 in ace-gold .

Regards.

Bartman .

http://www.nightbomber.com/forums/images2004/header_right.gif

Hawgdog
03-08-2004, 05:43 AM
Holy cow.
Ok, I've been out of the loop forever, I downloaded the 116 meg patch to make sure I had all the latest patches...soooo, today when I buy the AEP I'll have problems if do NOT delete everything and start with fresh instal of FB?
Soooo what were the patches for? LOL, I love this place, forgot what fun it was being gone for the last few months.
Thanks for explaining it over and over, I know it ticks off some, but I appreciate it.
can't wait, getting excited after seeing some pic posts about AEP dam, its as off the chart as IL2 was a couple of years ago

http://img5.photobucket.com/albums/v22/HawgDog/sharkdog.gif
When you get to Hell, tell 'em HawgDog sent you!

TacticalSkirmsh
03-08-2004, 07:27 AM
I purchased the Gold Edition so that I could have two bootable CDs in case one became damaged.

After a complete re-install using the Gold Edition, which by the way doesn't integrate the installation, but keeps AEP a separate addon install as mentioned, I put my 3-CD collection of the Gold Edition away for "safe keeping."

I boot the FB/AEP game up with the original FB CD No.2 with no problems. Should I ever have a problem with this CD (i.e., becomes damaged), then I'll have the original disks as a backup.

For the little extra it costed, given how much I play this game (and how long I suspect I'll be playing) having the peace of mind of a second bootable disk (and I suppose a copy of the Gold Edition as a collectible) appealed to me. And yes, I know some folks would rather use other means to have a second bootable disk.

‚"There is a big difference if you are in actual war or if you are playing war.‚"Ě (Colonel Enrich ‚"Bubi‚"Ě Hartmann, GAF)

:FI:TacticalS!

Maple_Tiger
03-08-2004, 08:50 AM
The award-winning action of IL-2 Sturmovik returns with this double-value Gold Pack, featuring the standalone sequel Forgotten Battles AND the Ace Expansion Pack for one historic price. Take to the skies in more than 50 authentic aircraft and plunge yourself deeper than ever into the perilous world of a WWII fighter pilot.

FB Gold does include aces expansion pack.

Capt. 361stMapleTiger.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid78/pd6c878f0006c224805da6c9645408b41/fb291d3e.jpg

tsisqua
03-08-2004, 09:46 AM
Yea, you basically get FB for $10.00 more. Funny thing is, when I see old copies of good games in the store, I wanna buy them, even if I already own them. Maybe I should get on the couch, Dr. Freud?

Tsisqua

JR_Greenhorn
03-08-2004, 09:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hawgdog:
Holy cow.
Ok, I've been out of the loop forever, I downloaded the 116 meg patch to make sure I had all the latest patches...soooo, today when I buy the AEP I'll have problems if do NOT delete everything and start with fresh instal of FB?
Soooo what were the patches for? LOL, I love this place, forgot what fun it was being gone for the last few months.
Thanks for explaining it over and over, I know it ticks off some, but I appreciate it.
can't wait, getting excited after seeing some pic posts about AEP dam, its as off the chart as IL2 was a couple of years ago<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It is my understanding that just vers. 1.22 will give problems if you install AEP over it. There are some files that are read-only that don't get overwritten. If you have any other version--1.1, 1.21, etc.--you should be able to install AEP over it without issue. I think the reccommendation to install AEP only over a clean version of FB is play-it-safe advice born on these forums.

To anyone that is concerned about losing skins and missions:
Why not just move them to another folder while you are installing AEP, then move them back? This would seem to me the safest way to go about it. AEP shouldn't eat your files, but just in case something happened during the install, it makes good sence to have a backup.

Maple_Tiger
03-08-2004, 10:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tsisqua:
Yea, you basically get FB for $10.00 more. Funny thing is, when I see old copies of good games in the store, I wanna buy them, even if I already own them. Maybe I should get on the couch, Dr. Freud?

Tsisqua<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know what you mean. I am into the C+C thing and i would just love to get my hands on the first one.

Im not shure if the AEP is on the FB Gold installation discs or not. It could be just a seperait disc all together for all i know. I hope its on the FB Gold installation discs though.. make things a bit easier.

Capt. 361stMapleTiger.

BigBoy01
03-08-2004, 10:59 AM
Maple_Tiger: "Im not shure if the AEP is on the FB Gold installation discs or not. It could be just a seperait disc all together for all i know. I hope its on the FB Gold installation discs though.. make things a bit easier."

That's exactly what the Gold Pack is, disk #1 and #2 are the original Il2/FB version 1.0. The 3rd disk is A.E.P. into which is integrated the 1.21 patch.

BigBoy01
03-08-2004, 11:01 AM
Oh yes, A.E.P. will also be available by itself (including the integral 1.21 patch)for application over, per the manual, version 1.0 (from the original box) or that version patched up to 2.21. (I think.)

BigBoy01
03-08-2004, 11:02 AM
Sorry, patched up to version 1.21.