PDA

View Full Version : Shield and weapon mix. And health suggestion

DarkHeavenSoul05
07-20-2015, 07:28 AM
I was just wondering if they'll be adding shields to the game.

I was thinking it should be able to defend three sides but the shield would get damaged and get destroyed over time.
Knights and Vikings both used shields so for Samurai I was thinking if they are the only class that can dodge.
Knights and Vikings use the dodge button to block and Samurai uses dodge button to dodge.
Since the shield won't be unlimited the Samurai should have a hard time dodging and it will all depend
on the direction of the enemies attack and the dodge of the Samurai. It's like the dodge system in Infinity Blade and other similar games.

-----------------------------xD

You guys might hate this but I was thinking of a lower health game.
Here are examples of what I mean...
Getting hit to your right will slow down your attack in all directions if you are Viking or Knight (With the shield).
Getting hit to your left where your shield is will slow down your defending speed and you will take a few damage when they hit your left arm.
Getting hit to your head is instant kill (Well not really first you'll get unconscious giving your opponent the time to execute a [so called FATALITY])

As for the Samurai, if you get hit on both left and right the attack speed won't slow down (well because he's using one hand)
but will slow down once you've damaged both left and right.

Oops, went off topic. So about the health.
Once you get hit twice on either left or right your hand will fall off causing you to bleed out and eventually die.
Two health on both left and right and one health for your head.

Solid_Altair
07-21-2015, 04:56 AM
I'm almost sure there will be shield for playable characters. I still don't know how they'll be implemented.

Everyone can dodge (so far, at least). I'd be surprised if any class could not.

I don't think this health system would work well. What would be the purpose of a strong high attack, then?

And btw... the high attacks usually hit the shoulder, not the head.

MisterWillow
07-21-2015, 06:58 AM
I was just wondering if they'll be adding shields to the game.

I was thinking it should be able to defend three sides but the shield would get damaged and get destroyed over time.
Knights and Vikings both used shields so for Samurai I was thinking if they are the only class that can dodge.
Knights and Vikings use the dodge button to block and Samurai uses dodge button to dodge.
Since the shield won't be unlimited the Samurai should have a hard time dodging and it will all depend
on the direction of the enemies attack and the dodge of the Samurai. It's like the dodge system in Infinity Blade and other similar games.

-----------------------------xD

Not a fan of this, really. Shields were (and are) built sturdy enough to withstand multiple battles---especially heater shields, which were often overlaid with iron or steel---and most blocking techniques involve deflects, not solid blocking, minimizing damage to the shield itself. Its use in a fight, defensively, is providing a larger object than a blade (or vambraced forearm) to deflect with.

I had a conversation a while ago here (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1183119-please-fix-the-UI!-and-other-general-critiques?p=10872409&viewfull=1#post10872409) about other uses for a shield in battle, and ways in which I think stances could work with the Art of Battle system, so I'd encourage you to read through that.

You guys might hate this but I was thinking of a lower health game.
Here are examples of what I mean...
Getting hit to your right will slow down your attack in all directions if you are Viking or Knight (With the shield).
Getting hit to your left where your shield is will slow down your defending speed and you will take a few damage when they hit your left arm.
Getting hit to your head is instant kill (Well not really first you'll get unconscious giving your opponent the time to execute a [so called FATALITY])

As for the Samurai, if you get hit on both left and right the attack speed won't slow down (well because he's using one hand)
but will slow down once you've damaged both left and right.

Oops, went off topic. So about the health.
Once you get hit twice on either left or right your hand will fall off causing you to bleed out and eventually die.
Two health on both left and right and one health for your head.

So... what's stopping people spamming 'up' attacks, hoping for the instant kill? Sorry, but a mechanic like that seems highly exploitable, or would otherwise degrade the strategy involved in having three directions to attack from.

As for the idea of multiple damage points or health bars, I actually really like that idea. So, you'd have a health bar on the left, the right, and the top, so you could take a few hits on the left, for example, and once that health gauge is gone, the next hit there would be a kill, but the other two positions would still be at full health, which would vary strategy a lot.

However, it would potentially extend the length of fights considerably, slowing down the game overall, and for that reason, I'm not sure it would be very palatable in a game that emphasizes objectives (at least in the mode we've seen), so the point is to have a quick fight and move on.

I think this sort of health system would work better in the 1-on-1 duel mode that people have suggested, though, since the emphasis there is to have a drawn out fight.

And btw... the high attacks usually hit the shoulder, not the head.

Also, this.

Deadshot.
07-23-2015, 06:57 PM
I agree with Willow. The multi-health bar idea would be great for 1v1 (perhaps in the SP campaign?), but for the multiplayer aspect, it would definitely slow down play too much.
Keep the ideas coming though. We always glean the wheat from the chaff.