PDA

View Full Version : Sigh... Really Ubisoft?

LieutenantRex
07-19-2015, 08:51 PM
I have voiced my concerns repeatedly on these forums about Ubisoft's continual bias against tall main characters. Not one of our Assassins has been the average male height of 6'0, or even taller than that. All of our Assassins have been extremely short, with Altair being the tallest at maybe 5'10, and that is still two inches below average. I cannot tolerate partiality like this in video games, especially in a series that lauds historical accuracy to some degree. Yes, I know that this is AC and that history didn't go the way things really did, but that should be constrained only to historical events and the like - not the ambience of the world. We want to feel as if we are playing through a period in time that is representative enough to be believable, all while rendering a tenable lore that AC contains. I cannot connect with characters who are inaccurate representations of how people were structured in history, and that is why I was extremely disappointed when watching Syndicate's gameplay at E3. When Jacob stood up in the opening cutscene, he was about the same height as the Indian guy (Henry or something), maybe at best an inch taller. Indian men at this point in time were extremely short, around 5'5, so Jacob is 5'6, maybe. That is completely ridiculous, as the average height for men throughout history was 6'0, and having such a short Assassin completely ruins the immersive quality that the AC games could fully encapsulate.

This may seem like a nitpick for some of you, but frankly it is a big deal. If Ubisoft refuses to acknowledge their historical butchery of male heights in their video games, then we as gamers are being robbed of other opportunities to demand fair representation in tandem: more female characters, LGBT characters, black or minority characters who aren't limited to cliché roles such as slaves (Adewale) or mixed to appeal to a white male supremacist patriarchal crowd (Altair, Aveline, Connor). Please Ubisoft, in your next game, make your main character of average 6'0 height!

Below is a list of all of our main characters thus far and their heights. Height data was deduced from in-game character model comparisons and historical info:

Altair ibn La-Ahad - 5'9-10 (Average height for Assyrian man was about 5'8 in the Crusades, but Altair was mixed with white.)

Ezio Auditore da Firenze - 5'5 (Ezio was about a few inches shorter than Cesare, who was reputed to be 5'10, and nearly a head shorter than Papal Guards, who were of slightly above average height (6'4).)

Radoonhagaydoon - 5'9 (Connor is shown in several cutscenes being only slightly taller than a hunched Achilles, who, as we saw in Rogue, is a hobbit.)

Edward Kenway - 5'8 (Edward was far shorter than Blackbeard, who was of average height (6'0).)

Arno Dorian - 5'7 (One of the shortest Assassins thus far, which is weird, since men grew taller as history went on; he stood on par with Napoleon, who was an underwhelming 5'7.)

steveeire
07-19-2015, 08:55 PM
You are joking right?

BananaBlighter
07-19-2015, 08:58 PM
There's no way he isn't.

Alphacos007
07-19-2015, 09:05 PM
I seriously hope it's a joke thread.

GunnerGalactico
07-19-2015, 09:11 PM
Ah, it's captain piss off :rolleyes:

https://themustardjumper.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/emily-blunt.gif

ERICATHERINE
07-19-2015, 09:15 PM
I have voiced my concerns repeatedly on these forums about Ubisoft's continual bias against tall main characters. Not one of our Assassins has been the average male height of 6'0, or even taller than that. All of our Assassins have been extremely short, with Altair being the tallest at maybe 5'10, and that is still two inches below average. I cannot tolerate partiality like this in video games, especially in a series that lauds historical accuracy to some degree. Yes, I know that this is AC and that history didn't go the way things really did, but that should be constrained only to historical events and the like - not the ambience of the world. We want to feel as if we are playing through a period in time that is representative enough to be believable, all while rendering a tenable lore that AC contains. I cannot connect with characters who are inaccurate representations of how people were structured in history, and that is why I was extremely disappointed when watching Syndicate's gameplay at E3. When Jacob stood up in the opening cutscene, he was about the same height as the Indian guy (Henry or something), maybe at best an inch taller. Indian men at this point in time were extremely short, around 5'5, so Jacob is 5'6, maybe. That is completely ridiculous, as the average height for men throughout history was 6'0, and having such a short Assassin completely ruins the immersive quality that the AC games could fully encapsulate.

This may seem like a nitpick for some of you, but frankly it is a big deal. If Ubisoft refuses to acknowledge their historical butchery of male heights in their video games, then we as gamers are being robbed of other opportunities to demand fair representation in tandem: more female characters, LGBT characters, black or minority characters who aren't limited to cliché roles such as slaves (Adewale) or mixed to appeal to a white male supremacist patriarchal crowd (Altair, Aveline, Connor). Please Ubisoft, in your next game, make your main character of average 6'0 height!

Below is a list of all of our main characters thus far and their heights. Height data was deduced from in-game character model comparisons and historical info:

Altair ibn La-Ahad - 5'9-10 (Average height for Assyrian man was about 5'8 in the Crusades, but Altair was mixed with white.)

Ezio Auditore da Firenze - 5'5 (Ezio was about a few inches shorter than Cesare, who was reputed to be 5'10, and nearly a head shorter than Papal Guards, who were of slightly above average height (6'4).)

Radoonhagaydoon - 5'9

Edward Kenway - 5'8 (Edward was far shorter than Blackbeard, who was of average height (6'0).)

Arno Dorian - 5'7 (Shortest Assassin thus far, which is weird, since men grew taller as history went on; he stood on par with Napoleon, who was an underwhelming 5'7.)

:rolleyes:

[/QUOTE] (Connor is shown in several cutscenes being only slightly taller than a hunched Achilles, who, as we saw in Rogue, is a hobbit.)[/QUOTE]

Lol. I nearly did it in my pants while lafing XD

LoyalACFan
07-19-2015, 09:33 PM
@I-Like-Pie I think you need to reassert your dominance as the High Troll Chancellor of this forum

Hans684
07-19-2015, 09:35 PM
Love it, wonder what's next.

Xstantin
07-19-2015, 09:43 PM
annual height complaint thread

Black_Widow9
07-19-2015, 10:01 PM
Not one of our Assassins has been the average male height of 6'0, or even taller than that.
First of all that is definitely not the average male height.
http://www.averageheight.co/average-male-height-by-country

Second nice try.

Closing