PDA

View Full Version : When did your hype reach the maximum level during the previous games' marketing?

dimbismp
07-15-2015, 01:15 AM
I think that the vast majority of us agrees that AC may have a thousand flaws,but marketing ain't one of them.I dare say that AC hype machine is the best ar8und the business.
So,i have been following closely the marketing campaign of AC3,AC4 and ACU(and now (less closely) of ACS).At many points i felt really excited,but for each game there was a particular trailer that blew my mind and made me want the game really bad.These were:
AC3:"Connor's story trailer"
What a trailer that was!It may be the trailer that hyped me most in my entire life.It gave you abfeeling that the story would be full of mindblowing cinematic events and that Connor's quest would be so epic,that you would cry rears of joy.Well,i am not saying that the trailer lied or that it showed something that it wasn't in the final product,but it just exploited everything the game had to create a false image of perfection(that's what a good trailer actually has to do to make you buy the product)
AC4:"Pirate Heist trailer"
DAT music!This trailer absolutely captured one of the main subplots(pirates vs empires) of the game.As AC4 actually overachieved IMO,i don't feel that this trailer deceived me or something
ACU:"Arno Master Assassin CGI trailer"
This trailer was released almost one year ago.It portrayed the revolution and reased the main storyline exactly as everyone wanted them to be.Thing is that almost none of this feeling was in the game:
-Mass extent road battles between civilians--->x
-Massive public executions--->~
-Elise being chased/captured by the fellow Templars--->x
-The ******* watch has a major role in the story--->x
Anyway,that trailer was absolutely phenomenal,even though deceiving IMO.

So,what about you?

VestigialLlama4
07-15-2015, 04:02 AM
If you mean best trailers, then AC3 was undoubtedly the best.

This for me is the best CGI trailer in the franchise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pUhraVG7Ow

And for me, AC3 lived up to nearly everything in the trailers.

Black Flag had good trailers but nothing really spectacular in my view. But on the other hand the marketing was more cunning. The trailers gave you a totally different picture of Edward Kenway than the final game did. From the trailers you got the sense that Edward Kenway was Welsh-Ezio and the story would be a pretty casual dumb game, the actual game is much better. So I like the trailers for that level of deceit.

As for UNITY, there is no excuse. They lied throughout production about the game they were making and the final product didn't have any surprises. We knew from the CGI trailer what would happen to Elise and they didn't surprise us with that.

Xstantin
07-15-2015, 03:23 PM
Revelations cinematic was the best one imo.
Then it was ACIII with the first teaser.

the_don7684
07-15-2015, 06:28 PM
I reeeeally loved the AC3 trailer. Black Flag and Unity's failed to capture me like 3 did. This Syndicate trailer has been more enticing than Black Flag and unity imo. As far as living up the Hype, I really feel AC3 lived up to it. Black Flag/ Rogue, kinda already knew what you were going to get. Still very much enjoyed them both. Unity, well I came in after all the patches were released when I picked up my next gen console 6 months after release or so. I liked Unity but felt like there was a certain element missing.

SixKeys
07-15-2015, 07:29 PM
My hype for AC games in general was highest when ACB was announced (and all the way up till PC release). I think I had just finished playing AC2 and expected the story to take a break until 2012. I lost my **** when my then-boyfriend showed me the CGI trailer out of the blue. The graphics, the music, the badassery, it was all brilliant. And then at the end Ezio gets surrounded by a group of assassin recruits and I had shivers running down my spine. It was familiar yet new at the same time. The franchise fatigue hadn't set in yet. All I knew was, we were all of a sudden getting more Ezio when I thought his story was done, and having a brotherhood to build seemed to be leading towards ever-increasing stakes. I was hyped for that game like I've never been hyped for another before or since. The best thing is, it met all my expectations, high as they were.

I was hyped for ACR the next year, but was starting to feel like "even more Ezio? Hmm, okay, I guess...". I was most excited for Alta´r's return and the resolution to ACB's cliffhanger ending (lol). But my hype never reached the epic proportions of ACB level, and the game was a big disappointment.

AC3, I think the E3 demo or the "Radioactive" trailer (I still get shivers watching that one):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSL1LMalPqE

After the game turned out to be an even worse disappointment than ACR, I decided never to hype again. AC4 came off for the better because of that, I think. Unity, too.

Matknapers18
07-15-2015, 07:55 PM
AC3, I think the E3 demo or the "Radioactive" trailer (I still get shivers watching that one):

This one for me too.

I used to watch this trailer like every day, downloaded the song, played it on loop. Ive never ever been so excited for a video game in my life. Ive yet to experience the same level of hype achieved from the build up to AC3. I thought this game would be incredible, I remember going down to the store at midnight to pick it up, and literally wetting myself. Unfortunately, this established impossible expectations for the game, and Ubisoft kinda shot themselves in the foot. There is no way this game could be good enough and deliver what we expected. Nevertheless, reaching that main menu and listening to that theme song play after months of desperation is one of my best gaming memories ever.

Looking back, its pretty cool to see how everyone was excited for this game. Nowadays, hype for new AC titles is largely exclusive to hardcore AC fans. With AC3, gamers all across the world were hyped, I remember it was anticipated to be game of the year by many.

SixKeys
07-15-2015, 08:06 PM
I thought this game would be incredible, I remember going down to the store at midnight to pick it up, and literally wetting myself.

Ew.

Shahkulu101
07-15-2015, 08:17 PM
^ For once, I hope someone used the word literally incorrectly.

Even though that usually infuriates me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for trailers, I really like a lot of them. ACR's CGI, AC3's CGI and the Radioactive song trailer, AC Unity's was cool as well.

Oh and AC4's Horizon trailer. Not exactly 'hyping' but that trailer was a beautiful piece of art. More so than the games themselves, not even kidding.

http://youtu.be/kaRoCnxuDLw

SixKeys
07-15-2015, 08:32 PM
Agreed, the Horizon trailer was beautiful. It also captures the feeling of the game quite nicely, the relaxed moments when you're just exploring and sailing on the Jackdaw.

Assassin_M
AC II: CG trailer. Two years of waiting and then finally...I remember watching it with my brothers, then showing it to my mom and then doing cosplay. Dang, I was so excited. I made a hidden blade from an old plastic sword I had and I made Ezio's shoulder pad from a wrestling belt strap.

ACB: Never...I was fresh out of the disappointment that was AC II and nothing really managed to lift my hype. I had a friend over when the CG trailer released and we both watched and we both agreed that it was meh.

ACR: CG trailer. Best CG trailer ever. I had an exam the next day and I was supposed to be studying, but I knew that today was the day and I had to be in my room studying but I just couldn't. Then it finally came out and I kept watching it until nightfall.

AC III: Connor's story trailer. I remember being at school that day and I found out on my phone that a new trailer was released, so I tried playing it on my phone but it didn't work, so I sneaked into a computer room and started one machine to watch the video. I think I must have watched 10 times before finally leaving.

AC IV: I wasn't hyped at all for it.

AC U: The moment that teaser trailer came out. Dose grafics.

AC S: When I played it....but i'm not THAT hyped.

VestigialLlama4

You know that trailer is hilariously misleading. Achilles inspiring Connor to fight. In the game, Achilles is constantly discouraging and pessimistic, he keeps telling Connor not to expect too much and tells him that he's sure everything will end in tragedy and disappointment.

I liked their Amazing Grace trailer far more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywt70ZeIWJk
(A tad pretentious but the lyrics and mood is much more fitting to the somber theme of the game.)

My favorite Unity trailer is this one, at least for music:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ellNQ1QcvnI

I thought damn its epic and cool and kind of capturing the mood and intensity...and a waste of time when the game came out.

Much as I hate the game (more than I do UNITY), ROGUE's cinematic announcement trailer was cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoOsv0FBpaU

That line of dialogue, "History may brand me traitor, rebel or renegade. But in the end, it doesn't matter how history remembers me...what matters is that I followed my own creed." Far more badass than anything in the game itself and alas false and misleading, Shay is Templar b-tch through and through.

SixKeys
07-15-2015, 08:43 PM
You know that trailer is hilariously misleading. Achilles inspiring Connor to fight. In the game, Achilles is constantly discouraging and pessimistic, he keeps telling Connor not to expect too much and tells him that he's sure everything will end in tragedy and disappointment.

I liked their Amazing Grace trailer far more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywt70ZeIWJk
(A tad pretentious but the lyrics and mood is much more fitting to the somber theme of the game.)

A "tad" pretentious? Lol.

That trailer makes the game look pro-American and boring as hell though, so I guess it is more representative of the final product.

My favorite Brotherhood trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wmcgU4dGlA

I don't know if it accurately captures the mood of the game, but I remember it got me so hyped. Dat ending with the blood-red sky, Cesare dropping some beats, the size of Rome, the music....

dimbismp
07-15-2015, 08:52 PM
A "tad" pretentious? Lol.

That trailer makes the game look pro-American and boring as hell though, so I guess it is more representative of the final product.

My favorite Brotherhood trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wmcgU4dGlA

I don't know if it accurately captures the mood of the game, but I remember it got me so hyped. Dat ending with the blood-red sky, Cesare dropping some beats, the size of Rome, the music....
A really epic trailer indeed.It also captures the game mood to a big extent IMO.If only ACB had portrayed Cesare a little bit more human and if only he wasn't so pathetci towards Ezio's actions during the game,he would be the greatest AC villain of all time

Shahkulu101
07-15-2015, 08:52 PM
AC3 was pro-American? I thought it was the opposite.

VestigialLlama4
07-15-2015, 08:59 PM

Some people, largely Europeans I find, tend to regard anything with George Washington as innately propaganda for the nation that played a key role in liberating them from the Nazis and then forced the intrinsically barbaric and unruly continent into the longest-running peace it has known for 300 years. So they reject AC3 because they don't think American history is interesting unless of course it has the facile and easy cynical cliches of Rockstar Games (a Scottish gaming company).

19th Century Europeans of course had no such attitudes, Beethoven was fascinated by Native American culture and wanted to go to America someday, Goethe and Byron were huge fans of James Fenimoore Cooper.

SixKeys
07-15-2015, 09:00 PM

Connor only ever kills redcoats and constantly aids the founding fathers, even after finding out Washington was behind the attack on his village. The epilogue is the only real time we see critique levelled at the Americans, and Shaun's obnoxious monologues in modern day.

GunnerGalactico
07-15-2015, 09:02 PM
I was really overhyped for AC2 and 3. I remember back then 2009 when I first saw the E3 trailer for AC2 and I was completely blown away by it and my excitement level shot through the roof. On my first play-through, I remember being excited by all the little things like the day and night cycle, being able to swim, steer gondolas, picking up weapons on the ground and all the other stuff Altair wasn't able to do. This game met my expectations. With AC3, I was also overhyped... mainly because we were going to have a different protagonist, setting, fighting style etc. The Liberty trailer, E3 trailer and Connor's story trailer were the ones that really got me excited about AC3 and it was the first time since AC2 that I was waiting in anticipation for an AC game. After playing the game, couldn't help but feel that it could've been a tad bit better, but I still enjoyed my play-through nonetheless. After that, I haven't been overhyped for any AC game. I was pleasantly surprised by AC4 because I was initially scared that it might be something like POTC, but thankfully it didn't come anywhere close to that.

As for trailers, I really like a lot of them. ACR's CGI, AC3's CGI and the Radioactive song trailer, AC Unity's was cool as well.

Oh and AC4's Horizon trailer. Not exactly 'hyping' but that trailer was a beautiful piece of art. More so than the games themselves, not even kidding.

http://youtu.be/kaRoCnxuDLw

That certainly was a trailer and a half. :D

Shahkulu101
07-15-2015, 09:09 PM
Connor only ever kills redcoats and constantly aids the founding fathers, even after finding out Washington was behind the attack on his village. The epilogue is the only real time we see critique levelled at the Americans, and Shaun's obnoxious monologues in modern day.

He continues aiding Washington because it's the lesser of two evils and it intertwines with his goals, not because he's a gung-ho patriot. Throughout the story there's rather a few parts where the Americans are portrayed in a harsher light, Haytham tells Connor that they're just self-interested, wealthy hypocrites and Connor questions Sam Adams why he keeps a slave. Granted, these are fairly minor but they were signs of what the games final message might be. The epilogue may be just one scene but that's the games final, conclusive statement about the Revolution and the Patriots.

SixKeys
07-15-2015, 09:26 PM
He continues aiding Washington because it's the lesser of two evils and it intertwines with his goals, not because he's a gung-ho patriot. Throughout the story there's rather a few parts where the Americans are portrayed in a harsher light, Haytham tells Connor that they're just self-interested, wealthy hypocrites and Connor questions Sam Adams why he keeps a slave. Granted, these are fairly minor but they were signs of what the games final message might be. The epilogue may be just one scene but that's the games final, conclusive statement about the Revolution and the Patriots.

I never said he was gung-ho patriot, either. There can be a middle ground between two extremes, you know. :) Connor himself isn't a patriot, but the game overall is too afraid to portray both sides equally. Before release they talked a lot about how the Brits viewed it as a civil war instead of an independence war and how this perspective would also be portrayed in the game, but it never happened. Connor was supposed to be treated as an outsider due to his heritage but somehow he was allowed to take part in all kinds of highly confidential meetings and battle plans. After the big reveal about Washington, Connor still hangs out with him to play bocce, apparently because gosh darn it, George is such a swell guy, you just can't stay mad at him. :rolleyes:

Haytham is the villain, so since we as players are on Connor's side, we're disinclined to believe the villain is telling the hero the truth. You never know when he's lying to further his own interests. The Sam Adams slave speech is minor indeed and never brought up again after he makes up some half-baked justification for it. There are a few lines of commentary that make the founding fathers seem less than perfect, but less-than-perfect shouldn't be the level to aim for when trying to inject true grey morality into your story. The slavery scene in the epilogue isn't even treated as the main takeaway from Connor's experience. He has a look of surprise on his face, indicating he can't believe the people whose freedom he fought for could be such hypocrites. Had he learned this earlier in the story, he wouldn't have been so surprised. And the main part of the epilogue is about Connor coming to an empty village and realizing he's all alone.

steveeire
07-16-2015, 02:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3zKlnt2iJ4

Loved this trailer was way over-hyped for this game, ended up disappointed by it, but after awhile away from it, I went back and played it and enjoyed it. I was also over-hyped for AC3 I ended up so disappointed with that game, that when I replayed it after awhile I still hated it and still do.

king-hailz
07-16-2015, 02:41 AM
AC1 - wasn't following marketing if there was any?
AC2 - didn't see the marketing.
ACB - saw a trailer and was amazed. It was the CGI one. Then played the first game.
ACR - Saw greatest trailer I've ever seen (CGI) and I was hyped!
AC3 - The teaser at the beginning. Didn't like the CGI one at all!
AC4 - the E3 game play demo.
ACU - The story trailer. I hated it up toll that point and thought it had some potential after the epicness of the trailer.
ACS - Never.

SpiritOfNevaeh
07-16-2015, 02:34 PM
I never hype for a game.

It's like a "failsafe" to end up being disappointed if I do.

Expect the worst and get the best, not the other way around, and you'll never be disappointed for another game again :p