PDA

View Full Version : One vs One honor duel mode. Beautiful One vs One only maps. Slow motion art of battle

Saiyosen
07-14-2015, 12:38 AM
Hey For Honor team and fellow fan boys! I am new to this forum, but I am sure that you guys receive ideas all the time that give you a chuckle or just plain aren't feasible. I hope my suggestion is not one of those ideas!

I am not sure if anyone has suggested this already, but I have envisioned in my mind the most beautifully adapted one vs one mode of any video game in HISTORY! Two Chosen Samurai facing off in the lightly falling snow, under a beatiful cherry blossom tree in bloom. Soon, crimson blossoms will bloom in the white snow. A knight and a viking battling to the death in a forest clearing, on a foggy summer morning, with a brook bubbling and frothing nearby. Two Viking warborn warriors clash with each other ferociously, while a tightly enclosed circle of their fellow warborn roar, and cheer and place bets on who will win.

In these one versus one maps, the focus would be on epic combat, amazing visuals, and beautiful and emotional music playing in the background. To make the mode even more desirable, I believe giving a healthy increase to each players health bar would allow for the duel to last longer, and allow for some truly splendid plays.

Other tidbits that I believe could really make for a heart pounding and memorable one versus one mode would be these. A bit of a walk to get to the opposing player on some maps. (i.e., the two samurai meeting under the tree after a small trek to the cherry blossom orchard, the viking and the knight finding eachother at that forest clearing, etc.) Upon finding the enemy player, just like in a feature film in the theaters, the music changes from very passive and forboding to a battle theme that truly speaks for the specific map.

This last part, I'm not sure if it can be done with the games programming, but I'd like to suggest it anyways. A slow motion attack system SPECIFICALLY designed for one versus one, and possibly for story mode as well. The slow motion would come into play either when a huge damage strike is about to go through, when a perfectly timed parry or dodge is executed against a high damage attack, or when the killing blow/execution is struck. I think that feature, along with the epic music playing in the background, would make for some truly memorable and amazing fights. The slow motion shouldn't last TOO long or slow the frames to an extreme extent, but a little slow mo to appreciate an amazing play is ALWAYS a good thing.

I hope that you guys are able to take the time to read and consider these ideas, and to the player base on these forums, I hope to hear what you think of these ideas as well! I think this game will be truly life changing, and I literally CAN'T WAIT till it releases. Love you all. #ForHonor #TeamChosen #IamSamurai #AskForHonor

Havemercy87
07-14-2015, 02:07 AM
Welcome friend.
I for one like the vision here. 1v1 has been discussed, but new ideas are always welcome.

I like the health boosts idea for 1v1, would make it more interesting for sure. I'm not sold on the obstacles idea in a 1v1, i.e the cherry tree. A 1v1 should be about fighting your opponent honorably not dodging around obstacles. If you meant as a backdrop (something unreachable) then that I can agree with. Keep the ideas flowing, who knows what the devs will use.

Let's go devs, I got an itch( For Honor) that I can't scratch(play)

DarkHeavenSoul05
07-20-2015, 10:00 AM
I full support 1v1 mostly because it can be done via splitscreen which I am interested in the most.
If the duel takes too long it would be boring, if they were to make a 1v1 duel I am supporting instant kill.

Have you played or seen Apotheon? The Greek mythology game/.
Well this game has a duel too between two players and before you start you can change the health setting
whether you have 10% or 200%. If they have this option then I'll be cool with it. ;)

Havemercy87
07-20-2015, 11:00 AM
Having the option on a split screen 1v1 match to change health or an instant kill for the duel would be ok. Would give the you a challenge to have with a friend. I'm in favor of this

Dead1y-Derri
07-20-2015, 12:57 PM
The only problem with 1V1 modes is that you can be open to a lot of boosting with friends etc.

Whereas 4V4 you're not likely to get away with boosting.

Just a thought.

Havemercy87
07-20-2015, 01:58 PM
True, it would definitely unbalance a MP.. But if a local 1v1 duel, I think the option should be there, not a network duel, but a split screen..

Edit: a possible network 1v1, First Hit mode. Say I sent you a duel request (yes you can deny it) I can either request a First Hit match or a full duel match where you Fight to the death using standard health

Solid_Altair
07-21-2015, 06:15 AM
The only problem with 1V1 modes is that you can be open to a lot of boosting with friends etc.

Whereas 4V4 you're not likely to get away with boosting.

Just a thought.
To deal with boosting, take away the means and/or the motive.

They could make the proggression not grindy, so people wouldn't feel the need to boost. And they could also make it so 1v1 gives no XP, or far less XP than the tatical modes.

Dunno about health boosts. They can be tricky, due to breakpoints. I would prefer having many rounds instead.

No slow mo, plz.

Good ideas for the settings. They reminded me of Setsuka's maps for SC 3 and 4. I'd be satisfied with closed off sections of the normal maps, though.

Edit: a possible network 1v1, First Hit mode. Say I sent you a duel request (yes you can deny it) I can either request a First Hit match or a full duel match where you Fight to the death using standard health
But the strong attacks would cry. :(

Havemercy87
07-21-2015, 10:17 PM
I like the no xp for 1v1 duels. I think it would be better this way. Definitely need something for duels though.. Clarify that, network duels. A local duel(splitscreen) would just allow ppl to cheat around this by setting up a dummy player.

@Altair- to solve that problem, first hit duels could cancel the guard crush and breaks. Just about out smarting the other and honing your skills.

Solid_Altair
07-21-2015, 10:26 PM
@Altair- to solve that problem, first hit duels could cancel the guard crush and breaks. Just about out smarting the other and honing your skills.
Nooo. :p That would make it even worse. The strong attacks would be even more irrelevant.

What you describe is pretty much just a way to practice reflexes for parrying fast attacks. That would be too linear and probably boring, too. 1v1 is already very limited, as a bunch of feats wouldn't be very useful. The one-hit thingy would e bad, because it would then make a bunch of other stuff useless.

Normal damage and guard breaks and crushes are a must in 1v1.

Havemercy87
07-21-2015, 11:04 PM
That was pretty much what was on my mind, practicing lol. I see your point though, maybe just leave this to a local splitscreen (for a real sparring partner and just something extra to do with a friend) and/or an AI

Solid_Altair
07-22-2015, 06:08 PM
Yes. I would very much like a practice mode with specifc exercises such as this one. And you could also agree with a friend to only use a few things, so you can test some reflexes.

MisterWillow
07-23-2015, 07:51 PM
That was pretty much what was on my mind, practicing lol. I see your point though, maybe just leave this to a local splitscreen (for a real sparring partner and just something extra to do with a friend) and/or an AI

I think that would be a huge missed opportunity. Imagine spectator lobbies for duels, like they have in (some) fighting games. A group of players join the lobby (let's say 10 or so), two people fight in a small arena, the rest of the people watch the fight, and once it's over, the victor stays and the loser gets rotated out for someone else in the lobby.

Even better, the other players could literally be standing around the arena waiting for the next fight (along with other stock spectators---nobles, peasants, guards, etc.), and would be able to boo, cheer, etc. according to button presses by the player (though they would be otherwise uncontrollable), similar to Mortal Kombat's King of the Hill mode (if anyone's played that), so if you don't like something that happened in the match, you could (for example) push R1, and throw a cabbage into the ring (though something like that has the potential to be spammed, and turn a dirt-floored arena into a small garden; I'm just spitballing). Imagine tournaments set up this way, with brackets and whatnot.

Other people have suggested (or hoped for) E-Sports in this game's future, and it would be interesting to see (in addition to the standard objectives-and-teams-modes of course) a small(er) one-on-one tournament involving all the MVPs of the previous team games---so there's potential to have former teammates dueling one another, to see who's really the best.

As to the question of health, a few people have suggested multiple health bars for your character, one for each defending position---if one depletes, it's essentially your armour breaking or deteriorating to the point that its no longer useful, and the next hit at that position would be a kill, while you would still have protection on the other two positions---allowing a new level of strategy (if you attack one position continually, you could get the kill quickly, but you would also make yourself predictable, forcing you to vary strikes). Now, a health/armour system like that, I think, would slow the duels down considerably, since there would certainly be fights between skilled defenders, making it impractical for the objectives-and-teams-modes, but it would be a perfect fit, in my opinion, for this sort of duel mode, since the focus is on the fights themselves, rather than "I need to kill/wound/get around this guy to get to an objective" and would therefore be more akin to a boxing match.

Havemercy87
07-23-2015, 09:15 PM
I didn't want quote all that lol.. I was only talking about a "practice mode" staying local only, not 1v1..

I like the spectator mode theory, would be cool to watch 2 ppl fight, I'm not sure how that would work outside of tourneys though...

I was just thinking.. Back in the Middle Ages, a tourney duel wasn't about killing each other, it was just about scoring hits on the person. This could work and keep it realistic, still have all your feats available and everything is unrestricted so GC and GB are still a factor, but it's a hit count. If someone has a heal, it only works to remove 1 score.

MisterWillow
07-23-2015, 10:18 PM
I didn't want quote all that lol.. I was only talking about a "practice mode" staying local only, not 1v1..

Oh... My mistake :p

I like the spectator mode theory, would be cool to watch 2 ppl fight, I'm not sure how that would work outside of tourneys though...

Could segment the room, maybe. Ten spots (or whatever) for participants, and more for spectators only? Unless that's not what you meant.

I was just thinking.. Back in the Middle Ages, a tourney duel wasn't about killing each other, it was just about scoring hits on the person.

Meh. I think historical accuracy needn't trump fun if it can be helped, and I think the mode would be served better by have the participants go until their life/armour is gone than by having a point system.

You could always get around the apparent 'death' of the loser by showing them get up and leave the ring/arena after the match is over, or have them fight with wooden weapons (although, then you wouldn't get to show off your cool looking sword).

Although, I've thought about it, and if the health system is the same as objectives-and-teams-modes---and therefore the matches had the potential for being much shorter---the point system would extend match length, and give spectators a better show. So I'd be fine with it if the devs don't have the time, or the inclination, to put in the alternate health/armour system in just for this mode (though I really hope they do:;)).

This could work and keep it realistic, still have all your feats available and everything is unrestricted so GC and GB are still a factor, but it's a hit count. If someone has a heal, it only works to remove 1 score.

http://i.imgur.com/78lngCC.gif

I'd rather not have feats available in 1v1, and have the match be about the players' raw skill. I think having feats (especially something like healing) would muddle the entire dynamic.

Havemercy87
07-23-2015, 10:53 PM
I'd rather not have feats in a duel either, I put that in special for Altair lol..
That's why I suggest the point system for duels. Although if they did change the health/armor system for duels, I think that would be sufficient and more palatable for everyone.

Oh and I'm not going into any fight with a wooden sword lol

Deadshot.
07-23-2015, 11:18 PM
I like the idea of the 1v1 and even the idea of the MK:King of the Hill idea to go with it - as long as no unlockables are tied into it.
I don't want to play some mook who's trying to get 10 wins in a row just quit out on me because he's losing.
I'd rather just play for the entertainment - and the bragging rights.

You could still play with the hitpoints scenario while using your chosen weapon I think. The damage ratio would simply be reduced to nil - as if you're pulling your strike at the last moment.

I don't think having the feats available would be a great option. Raw melee combat seems to be best suited for 1v1.
I honestly think there will be quite a few of them in the SP campaign.

MisterWillow
07-24-2015, 01:08 AM
That's why I suggest the point system for duels. Although if they did change the health/armor system for duels, I think that would be sufficient and more palatable for everyone.

Yeah, I'd prefer the alternate health system, but the likelihood of them doing that is anyone's guess. The point system was a good idea, and it would be a nice compromise, to keep the matches from being over in a couple of seconds.

Oh and I'm not going into any fight with a wooden sword lol

:D:D:D:D

I like the idea of the 1v1 and even the idea of the MK:King of the Hill idea to go with it - as long as no unlockables are tied into it.
I don't want to play some mook who's trying to get 10 wins in a row just quit out on me because he's losing.
I'd rather just play for the entertainment - and the bragging rights.

Good point, although... we don't know how they're doing unlockables yet, and someone put the idea out there that new weapons, armour pieces, etc. would be purchased by some sort of in-game currency (cause I'll repeat what I said elsewhere, I will effing lose it if I see microtransactions). If that's the case, you could get money for winning (probably far less than objectives-and-teams-modes), and then go buy a shiny new helmet. Or, they could restrict unlocks to tournament winners; for that added bit of realism. It would be cool if they held public tournaments hosted by the devs every month with crazy looking things for winners. If everything's cosmetic anyway (and I sincerely hope it is), I don't think those sorts of things would matter that much.

You could still play with the hitpoints scenario while using your chosen weapon I think. The damage ratio would simply be reduced to nil - as if you're pulling your strike at the last moment.

Yeah, with the point system, damage wouldn't even enter into the equation. It would either track how many hits either player receives in a timed match, or you'd play to a hit limit---so the first to five/ten/whatever hits wins. I'd prefer the latter, but I think either would work.

Havemercy87
07-24-2015, 01:30 AM
I have had runs with ppl like that when I was playing Order and Chaos. Beat the first boss in a dungeon and "Where the hell did he go! WTF!" oh I hated that.. We sometimes hunted those that did and you'd be blacklisted by the majority of the server..

Edit: I'm a fan of the 5-10 hits win.. I'm an even bigger fan of the monthly tournaments, that would be great... I don't see ubi doing this for at least a year after release though. Really hope they consider this.

NO MICROTRANSACTIONS!! In 7 hells there's nothing worse than this.

Thunderborn
07-29-2015, 04:31 AM
How bout being called out for a circle duel? Circle will form after being called out by name and the two combatants will fight. Winner will get some kind of boost or gold or it could be to the death. To earn a call out you would have to complete certain tasks. Person wouldn't have to accept but he would loose honor. While the two are fighting the rest of the team could be in watch mode and place bets or interact in some way to provide support. The challenge could be heard throughout the battlefield. I wouldn't mind some nemesis system too that keeps track of someone who just is like your arch enemy. A really hard ai person that stalks a random player would be pretty cool too sort of like the diablo system if they kill you.

Thodoras10
07-29-2015, 05:27 PM
i like the idea of having 1vs1 specific maps but no systems for 1vs1 that occur during a match by challenging others. Either way i would really like to see 1vs1 fights that are set by match making and not by ingame challenges.

Saiyosen
08-02-2015, 12:28 AM
To deal with boosting, take away the means and/or the motive.

They could make the proggression not grindy, so people wouldn't feel the need to boost. And they could also make it so 1v1 gives no XP, or far less XP than the tatical modes.

Dunno about health boosts. They can be tricky, due to breakpoints. I would prefer having many rounds instead.

No slow mo, plz.

Good ideas for the settings. They reminded me of Setsuka's maps for SC 3 and 4. I'd be satisfied with closed off sections of the normal maps, though.

But the strong attacks would cry. :(

Thanks for the feed back! You actually hit the nail on the head with the mention of Soul Calibur. That was one of the games that really inspired my idea about the beatiful/creative maps for this mode! And I agree that this mode should not be a "one hit" mode. If they wanted to add that as a setting for local/splitscreen duels, I am totally for that, but not for matchmade duels.

Cormaru
07-14-2016, 07:44 AM
I love the idea of 1vs1 :)

BoldAlphawolf
07-14-2016, 11:30 PM
i wouldnt mind the slow mo bit as long as it was on a highlight reel or if it only triggered when we both have really low health an we both attack for the finishing blow id be cool with that

waraidako
07-20-2016, 10:22 AM
Slowmo could work for the last blow like in Tekken 7. But only in a 1v1 mode.