PDA

View Full Version : Ways for AC to add and improve controls (gamepads)

Fatal-Feit
07-12-2015, 09:32 PM
So yeah, as I've said in the other thread, I've been playing a bunch of games recently and I noticed a LOT of clever ways the developers have done to incorporate more options and control during gameplay for the gamepads. I've been thinking about what AC could take and improve itself with.

1. The Witcher 3, for example, allows you to call your horse by simply double tapping the right analog stick. That's genius. It would have eliminated the hassle of loading into the weapon wheel screen, scroll down to the near bottom, and equipping the horse whistle in AC3. You could also set the horse whistle onto the D-pad, but that takes up valuable space. If AC introduces horses again, this is something they should definitely consider doing.

2. In my other thread, there's a discussion going on about the weapon wheel in AC2-B and selecting tools via the D-pad in AC4-RO. Personally, I think the weapon wheel should return, as it frees up buttons on the controller and is arguably just as effective in real-time gameplay, IMO.

3. Assuming they swap the D-pad selection for the weapon wheel, I'd like to see them move the interaction button (B) onto the D-pad. Similar to how GTAV does it. It's really clever and it eliminates the problem of accidentally speaking to NPCs or accepting quests.

4. Like how The Witcher 3 dealt with calling Roach, double tapping the left or right analog stick (or both simultaneously, DmC style) would be a perfect solution to incorporating the hood toggle option fans have been requesting.

5. There's one more free button on the D-pad, so perhaps the stealth mode can go there and they can bring back the option of using 2 tools again like in Unity.

6. Holding the analog sticks and other buttons are also things the developers can move mechanics to. Really, the options are endless when you think about it.

7. I don't like how they brought back BF's free-aiming in Syndicate instead of improving what Unity had, which was similar to 3 (except downgraded in many aspects). Personally, I love the aim button (if that's what it's called) in 3. It's quite underrated. Hold or tap it to toggle aim mode to lock onto targets, etc, etc. It also allowed you to interact with civilians, which was my favorite kind of way, as it didn't cause any hindrance during gameplay. It wasn't perfect, but if they improve on it, it could be something VERY good. I'd like to see them bring it back and make it a mix of everything. Tap to go into aim mode (AC3) and hold the tool buttons to free-aim (Unity style, but with the ease and fluidity BF and Syndicate). It allows for a deeper mechanic without hindering anything.

Let's say the next AC is set in China, the horses are back and the rope dart returns as another kind of Hookblade or rope launcher. Here's how some of these ideas will work on an X1 controller.

Back - Map

Start - Menu

LT - Aim Mode (AC3 ver)

LB - Tool (Hold during Aim Mode for Free-Aim)

RT - Free Run / High Profile

RB - Tool (Hold during Aim Mode for Free-Aim)

Y - Activates whatever navigation ability with the Rope Dart (like Rope Launcher)

B - Parkour Down / Sheathe Weapon

A - Jump / Parkour Up

X - Unsheathe Weapon / Attack

Right Analog - Camera / Tap to toggle Hood ON/OFF / Hold to activate Eagle Vision

Left Analog - Movement / Tap to Reload / Hold to call Horse

D-pad Up - Weapon Wheel

D-pad Down - Tap for Stealth Mode / Hold for HUD toggle

D-pad Left - Interact (Accept)

D-pad Right - Interact (Decline)

^ Notice how that control scheme incorporated everything without feeling clustered?

Agree, disagree, got your own idea or inspiration from other games too? Please share.

m4r-k7
07-13-2015, 12:09 AM
Great set-up. I would also bring back the gentle push ability from the earlier games as walking through crowds in Unity just looks absolutely ridiculous.

Xstantin
07-13-2015, 12:56 AM
Needs HUD toggle :)

I-Like-Pie45
07-13-2015, 01:15 AM
make the games entirely QTE like Heavy Rain

Fatal-Feit
07-13-2015, 01:51 AM
Needs HUD toggle :)

*bangs head on desk*

One of my favorite free-roam feature and I forgot all about it. I edited it in. =)

Namikaze_17
07-14-2015, 08:38 AM
Good post. :)

I agree with a lot of your list.

steveeire
07-15-2015, 07:54 AM
They need to bring back the counter.

Sorrosyss
07-15-2015, 11:22 AM
Good post, and yes agreed on most of these. I'm playing Witcher 3 at the moment, and the weapon wheel you use on that reminded me of how much AC needs it back. The awful D pad selection is terrible when you try to tap a certain amount of times and go flying past your pistol etc. Pausing combat, selecting a weapon and resuming, is entirely plausible for an Assassin that must make split second decisions in real time.

And the hood toggle. How many years must we request it for them to listen? :p It's so needed, and always has been. Would also please both camps of the hood/no hood debate.

dxsxhxcx
07-15-2015, 02:01 PM
now do the same with the PS4 controller because I doubt they'll create different control schemes for all platforms.. :)

the_don7684
07-15-2015, 06:34 PM
Always with some great ideas! like the layout very much! and you For Honor gif! lol

Fatal-Feit
07-16-2015, 03:25 AM
now do the same with the PS4 controller because I doubt they'll create different control schemes for all platforms.. :)

the control scheme is for all gamepads :p