PDA

View Full Version : 262 and engine fire.

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 04:07 PM
Hi all,

I just finished watching a very interesting doco on the Me262. It was full of detail on its development and its engines, comparing it to the Whittle's work and his engine. Whittle would let his engine "run away". In other words he would just let the engine continually build up thrust until it blew a compressor or something. All his staff would run for it and he's still there a few metres away with a big grin.

They were interviewing two 262 pilots at one stage. One pilot, Walter Schuck said "The had to increase the throttle slowly so as not to stall the engines". Assuming he meant compressor stall. Does "compressor stall" always result in engine fire or is this engine fire problem caused by something else ?

Another thing, I saw plenty of 262's with steerable nosewheels. Love to have that modelled.

xPolarisx

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 04:07 PM
Hi all,

I just finished watching a very interesting doco on the Me262. It was full of detail on its development and its engines, comparing it to the Whittle's work and his engine. Whittle would let his engine "run away". In other words he would just let the engine continually build up thrust until it blew a compressor or something. All his staff would run for it and he's still there a few metres away with a big grin.

They were interviewing two 262 pilots at one stage. One pilot, Walter Schuck said "The had to increase the throttle slowly so as not to stall the engines". Assuming he meant compressor stall. Does "compressor stall" always result in engine fire or is this engine fire problem caused by something else ?

Another thing, I saw plenty of 262's with steerable nosewheels. Love to have that modelled.

xPolarisx

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 04:19 PM
I know what you mean about the nosewheel. It would be good to be able to use a steerable wheel, and would make taxiing easier. However, if they would model the nosewheel correctly, it would also have to suffer from the weakness which was a common problem in the 262. I'm sure people would be a bit annoyed returning to base in a 262 and then having the nosewheel collapse!

To be able to fare well,
To avoid the frustration of misfortune,
That, in this world, is happiness.
-Euripides' Electra

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 04:35 PM
Characteristics of a compressor stall are low Ng/N1 (power output) with high PTIT/ITT (internal engine temperature). Abnormal noise and vibration often accompanying the situation.

Failure to take corrective action by reducing the current power setting can result in the engine overheating,catching fire or engine disintegration.

Message Edited on 08/28/0303:37PM by ISU-152

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 04:38 PM
ISU-152 wrote:
- Characteristics of a compressor stall are low Ng/N1
- (power output) with high PTIT/ITT (internal engine
- temperature). Abnormal noise and vibration often
- accompanying the situation.
-
- Failure to take corrective action by reducing the
- current power setting can result in the engine
- overheating,catching fire or engine disintegration.

Your post sounds like it's straight out of a T.O. Are you in military maintenance? You seem to know what you're talking about... so probably not! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

SSgt Tim Schuster
8MXS Inspection Section
Kunsan AB, Korea

-Defend the Forums!
-Accept Follow-on Patches and stuff!
-Take the Fight Online!