PDA

View Full Version : I dont know if i should preorder

Kattakiss
07-10-2015, 03:54 PM
Hello everyone.

I just wanted to buy the Game as Preorder because im a huge HoMM fan. But i wasnt sure if i should do it.

It looks really good to me and im happy about the Factions so far. The thing is.. i want to buy it in Steam and i dont know if you need U-Play again like in Heroes6.

Can anyone tell me if you need U-play for this game? I will not preorder until i know.

Thanks for your Time.

leverite
07-10-2015, 05:09 PM
Hi there, yeah I think I read somewhere that this will require uplay with a one time online activation (somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). I believe it's available on steam as well, but will still launch via uplay regardless.
However, I would suggest that you refrain from pre-ordering if possible. Pre-ordering is really harmful to the consumer and is a marketing technique used by publishers to bait us into buying a product in an unknown state; sometimes it's not a big deal, sometime it is, and the consumer is taking all the risk. As a huge HOMM fan I'm sure you remember how bad Heroes 6 launched; please remember that. I would highly encourage you and all others to wait to purchase Heroes 7 until release; wait for reviews, wait to see if it's bug free and in working order before you buy it. One thing that consumers can do to stop pre-order culture is to vote with their wallets. If people stop supporting it, it will eventually go away.
By all means, please purchase the game and support the series if you feel you'll enjoy this game, but be smart with your purchases. I'm a huge HOMM fan as well (since #1) and I'm sure I will buy and play Heroes 7; but I do not intend to spend any money on it until I know it's in a working, complete, bug free state.
If you happen to have already pre-ordered via steam and the game launches in a state that is not to your satisfaction, please exercise your right to refund as well. This is a great tool at our disposal to tell publishers broken releases are NOT OK.

P.S. Sorry for playing devil's advocate and being negative, I'm really hoping that Heroes 7 launches flawlessly and is a fantastic experience for all of us; but my trust has been shaken.

Elle-One
07-10-2015, 05:10 PM
You need Uplay. It's only for a one-time-activation, so unlike in H6 you won't get kicked out of a singleplayer game if the server connection fails for a second, but you will have to activate the game once via Uplay before you can play it, even if you buy it on Steam.

I also read that H6 had even more problems on Steam than the disc or Uplay versions. There definitely were issues with the Steam beta keys for H7. You might want to look into that before you preorder.

BahamutXero
07-11-2015, 04:16 PM
I'm definitely not pre ordering and not buying the game until the initial debugging has been completed. I'm not going through what I did with Heroes VI again. Hell it took TWO YEARS for a graphic card patch to be implemented so I could play the game without it crashing/black screening every other turn. That said, I'm extremely disappointed with the processor requirements and I hope that they are refined to the point where y PC can play it. What I don't get is the need for more resources when the game still looks like Heroes VI.

broui
07-11-2015, 05:22 PM
I preordered.

1. Uplay is a one time activation thing. This is not H6.
2. The 1st Beta was sluggish, had dumb AI and was buggy.
3. It still played better than the H6 Beta.
4. Steam or don't Steam. Won't make any difference.
5. You say you're a fan. So buy it. H5 wasn't that good really until it was complete (ToE) This one seems similar in that it appears that it will be a fairly good vanilla game but quite incomplete, needing expansions. You could wait until those come out but they'll only come if the game sells.

Bottom line, I don't regret having purchased it and I've been a fan literally since HOMM1 was released 20 years ago.