PDA

View Full Version : What's with all the criticism?

TrueSkiil 7
07-08-2015, 03:12 PM
Can we stop with critiques of the game-play demo, because for one this is not the feedback forum. Number two none of us have played the game yet, except for those lucky enough to attend e3 who have stated they loved the game. I'm not trying to bash anyone, in i do think the UI is cluttered but the amount of threads about multiplayer size, game design, how how they stylized the attacks and other things is just nitpicking. The main reason why i'm taking note of this is not to be pissy but it seems like the devs are fairly active on this thread, in i would hate for them to become less involved with the growing community of hype that is surrounding this game due to people complaining about their design choices on a game that was just revealed barely a month ago. Not saying theirs anything wrong with critiquing people's work, i know we're all here because we love this game and the concept behind it, so we can't help but want to throw in our ideas or two but lets try not to go overboard. The beta is coming up soon and we can see how well implemented the heavenly light, UI, glowing swords are and rather or not it's immersion breaking, i would hate to see any devs come to the forums less or get less involved with the community like so many others in the industry have opted due to the inherent hazards of the internet. Oh one more thing, anyone who says a glowing sword is too "gamey" in a video game, please just stop. The devs are making a game from our childhood fantasies not a realistic simulator of what would happen if a knight, viking and samurai walked into a bar.

Eiddard
07-08-2015, 03:30 PM
Can we stop with critiques of the game-play demo, because for one this is not the feedback forum. Number two none of us have played the game yet, except for those lucky enough to attend e3 who have stated they loved the game. I'm not trying to bash anyone, in i do think the UI is cluttered but the amount of threads about multiplayer size, game design, how how they stylized the attacks and other things is just nitpicking. The main reason why i'm taking note of this is not to be pissy but it seems like the devs are fairly active on this thread, in i would hate for them to become less involved with the growing community of hype that is surrounding this game due to people complaining about their design choices on a game that was just revealed barely a month ago. Not saying theirs anything wrong with critiquing people's work, i know we're all here because we love this game and the concept behind it, so we can't help but want to throw in our ideas or two but lets try not to go overboard. The beta is coming up soon and we can see how well implemented the heavenly light, UI, glowing swords are and rather or not it's immersion breaking, i would hate to see any devs come to the forums less or get less involved with the community like so many others in the industry have opted due to the inherent hazards of the internet. Oh one more thing, anyone who says a glowing sword is too "gamey" in a video game, please just stop. The devs are making a game from our childhood fantasies not a realistic simulator of what would happen if a knight, viking and samurai walked into a bar.

Are actually the devs talking in the forum? I just saw the Community Manager from the staff to anwser questions in this forum. I guess the devs read the forum, well, I hope they do. But actually participating in the forum, I didnt see any.

And I dont see how the devs will feel bad for people actually careing about the game, I mean, I agree with the UI posts, it is fine to talk about the problem but jeez, there is one new post complaining about the UI every few days, that is getting annoying.

And the Forum has 3 subforums, "General Discussion", "News" and the "Suggestion + Feedback" subforum. But I dont see how discussing the UI doesn't belong to General Discussion, or the gameplay, I mean, those are General Discussions about the actual gameplay that we saw, where are we supposed to discuss those subjects if not in the Official forums of the game?

Again, I agree with getting annoyed by post popping up every few days talking about the same, usually, 1v1 gamemode, customization, UI oversaturated. There is like 5+ threads of those subjects between General Discussion and Suggestions/feedback, it is absurd.

But I do want people to keep discussing the game and giving ideas, even if those ideas can't be implemented in the actual game, the devs might get a good idea from them to implement cool features that otherwise the wouldnt think of.

Btw, you should try to use [Enter] button a bit more, it helps the readers.

Mr_Shade
07-08-2015, 03:56 PM
Are actually the devs talking in the forum? I just saw the Community Manager from the staff to anwser questions in this forum. I guess the devs read the forum, well, I hope they do. But actually participating in the forum, I didnt see any.

Yes they do - a simple search will find their posts - but they are very busy behind the scenes as you may expect - so the community team are here as their voices ;)

Also the forums are here for all feedback - both positive and negative - so we want you guys to feel able to talk about both the great things - and those things you feel are not so great..

The forums are still new, so it will take some time for people to get used to the sections and feeling.. so we won't be too strict at the moment - however it's a good idea to get used to posting in existing threads [if one is already in the forum] and the correct forum - just for general housekeeping :)

As always - if you have questions, feel free to contact me or another member of staff ;)

Eiddard
07-08-2015, 04:10 PM
Yes they do - a simple search will find their posts - but they are very busy behind the scenes as you may expect - so the community team are here as their voices ;)

Hey, I didnt mean it in a wrong way, I am fine with them just reading, sometimes talking with your playerbase can be really hard, and risky, you might say something that you shouldnt and there is so little info about the game that they probably would do that if they talked here too often.

But is nice to know that they actually do read and participate in the forum.

Solid_Altair
07-09-2015, 11:05 AM
Not meaning to look a gift horse on the mouth...

I participate a lot on the EA UFC's forums. One Dev there "pushed his case" with marketting folk so he could talk to the community directly. So he posts a lot and not only takes feedback directly, but actually discusses stuff, bouncing of ideas that mature and end up being used in the game. He said it's worth all the trouble to get to do it. He does need a legendary patience to put up with plenty of missbehavior from some guys, though.

So... I love having a community managers who shows up to tell us he is giving feedback to the Devs. That's the gift horse in the metaphor, btw, what we're getting here very well, more so than in other forums where silence reigns supreme. But if the Devs could discuss directly with us, some of our feedback could get deeper and more useful. That's if they have the time, of course. I just wonder if time is the biggest obstacle, Or if it is marketting strategy.

As for the OP... chill out, bruh! In comparison to other games the feedback here has been tremendously positive! People pretty much only complained about the UI. I'm pretty sure the Devs are happy with how happy people are with the game. And some critique, as long as it's done well, can be useful to them.

MajorCynik
07-09-2015, 11:33 AM
The devs are making a game from our childhood fantasies not a realistic simulator of what would happen if a knight, viking and samurai walked into a bar.
Amen to that.

Fatal-Feit
07-09-2015, 06:10 PM
Pretty sure you're referring to my thread.

1. General forums may be used to discuss and critique games. Believe it or not, there are Community Managers, such as Mr.Shade here, who reads our discussions/debates and gives the devs our assessment/critiques of the games and how they may improve upon it. As a matter of fact, the lead writer of Black Flag and AC often reads our discussions on the general forums and gets feedback from there.

2. Everyone here have said their appreciations for the awesome work the devs have done, and are critiquing what we believe could make the experience worse. --Especially since the devs have time to reflect on their feedback before releasing the worldwide demo. Do you see any ''this game sucks'' post? Nope, just everyone's 2 cents. And there's nothing wrong with nitpicking, as long as it's productive.

The main reason why i'm taking note of this is not to be pissy but it seems like the devs are fairly active on this thread, in i would hate for them to become less involved with the growing community of hype that is surrounding this game due to people complaining about their design choices on a game that was just revealed barely a month ago. Not saying theirs anything wrong with critiquing people's work, i know we're all here because we love this game and the concept behind it, so we can't help but want to throw in our ideas or two but lets try not to go overboard. The beta is coming up soon and we can see how well implemented the heavenly light, UI, glowing swords are and rather or not it's immersion breaking, i would hate to see any devs come to the forums less or get less involved with the community like so many others in the industry have opted due to the inherent hazards of the internet.

Nah, man. I've worked with a few friends who're currently in the process of making games, and as devs, they strive for feedback and opinions. It's what make a better product. The consumers are just as involved in game development as the devs. --Also, it's very silly of you to assume devs would become less communicative because people are critiquing their product. Like, um, what? That's exactly the reason why they're active here. If you've watched the interviews with the For Honor devs, you would often hear them telling fans to keep sending in feedback. They beg for it. Feedback are always one of game devs' top priority. :p I don't know if you've checked out indie games, but the #1 reason for indie devs to be in the forums/etc are to reply to feedback.

Oh one more thing, anyone who says a glowing sword is too "gamey" in a video game, please just stop.
No, you don't tell me to stop. That is a critique of my own, and I'm allowed to express my distaste if I don't like something. It is up to devs to act upon it. You are free to disagree and express your own opinion. Start a discussion/debate. This a forum after all.

Anyway, as someone said, chill out. The feedback here have been relatively positive and active, which is very good for game development. Developers want this. And whether you like the critiques or not, you're not the dev. So please, nitpicking over people's feedback is counter-intuitive.

Havemercy87
07-09-2015, 11:30 PM
Well said Fatal, I salute you 👍

Fatal-Feit
07-11-2015, 04:59 AM
Well said Fatal, I salute you 

TY O/

On the other hand, I don't mean to come off as rude or agitated (if I did), OP. I know you only mean well. The game have just been revealed so there's not a lot of other things to discuss. :p