PDA

View Full Version : How similar was the Hawk 75 pit to the P-40s?

XyZspineZyX
07-23-2003, 06:31 PM
It would be great to have the Hawks flyable. Is the P-40 cockpit similar enough to the P-36/Hawk 75 to be imported over with a little modification? Maybe 1C could get permission from the P-40 modeler (Radek?) to make the changes?

XyZspineZyX
07-23-2003, 06:31 PM
It would be great to have the Hawks flyable. Is the P-40 cockpit similar enough to the P-36/Hawk 75 to be imported over with a little modification? Maybe 1C could get permission from the P-40 modeler (Radek?) to make the changes?

XyZspineZyX
07-23-2003, 07:46 PM
Hawk 75/P-36 instrument panel and interior were almost identical to P-40B Tomahawk, which also featured a couple of MGs over the hood. Unfortunately, the FB flavors of P-40 begin with the E- model, with a solid panel, not the inverted 'T' of the Hawk/Tomahawk panels, needed to accomodate the breeches of those guns.

"Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" - LCOL Don Blakeslee, CO, 4th FG, March, 1944

XyZspineZyX
07-23-2003, 08:24 PM
H75 pit and P-36 pit are totally different. Oleg sent me a large photo of P-36 panel (in Chino museum) and unfortunately it doesn't have any same instruments as H75. French/Finnish hawks had gauges manufactured by Pioneer and they were French labeled. Good news is that me and Kossu found some originaI H75 gauges from Hallinportti aviation museum.

Current P-40 versions have some cockpit elements that could be recycled, like gear/flaps lever but basicly it needs to be build from the beginning.

XyZspineZyX
07-23-2003, 08:53 PM
Sometimes for the sake of getting it included concessions have to be made. Remember the B-239 in reality was delievered without any instruments and where fitted metric instruments intended for Hawk 75s that where never recieved. However, in game the B-239 has the English gauges of the F2A-1.

The only difference between the P-36 and Hawk 75 is the 75 where delievered minus instruments and armaments according to US neutrality laws of the time. And the 75s in French service where equipped metric instruments in french.

http://www.redspar.com/redrogue/CraggerUbisig.jpg

About after 30 minutes I puked all over my airplane. I said to myself "Man, you made a big mistake." -Charles 'Chuck' Yeager, regards his first flight