PDA

View Full Version : Dev Update: Update 10 part 2

RetiredRonin
07-07-2015, 06:38 PM
We just had a Dev Update, but let’s go ahead and jump back in and have another one. Today’s Developer Update is focused on Acorns and the new Customization Store. In Update 10 we’ve brought in the ability to pick up new bike skins, rims and player costume / clothing pieces. How do you find what’s new? Just head to the Bikes or Rider Menus from Trials Fusion’s dash and scroll through the menu selections for the parts you are looking for.

What new customization parts are available?
We have more planned to become available between now and November, but these are the options available at TU10's launch.

7 Helmets for the Male & Female Rider

Including 5 based on the vehicles in the garage!

3 outfits for the Female Rider

Including Barbara from the Rayman series inspired costume

3 outfits for the Male Rider

Including a Rayman-inspired costume

2 Pit Viper skins
2 Rabbit skins
1 Roach skin
1 Baggie Skin
5 Rim designs compatible with the Baggie, Roach, Pit Viper and FoxBat.

What are the costs for items?
Acorns will be available in packages starting with the Bronze Pack, which is 1000 Acorns and costs $4.99. There will be more expensive Acorn packs, with more expensive packs offering better cost per Acorn ratios.

Larger customization items such as full bike skins and rider outfits cost 1000 to 2000 Acorns. Items such as a single helmet or bike rims cost around 200 to 750 Acorns. Players that really want to stand out from the pack can pick up some of the higher tiered premium content.

Why are outfits and bike skins more expensive than a helmet or rim set?
A full outfit (including a new helmet) is more expensive than a single helmet because of how much extra is included in the purchase. You are also getting a costume top and bottom. Full costumes and bike skins take longer to create, so they are a bit more expensive in the shop.

Will buying items increase my chances of winning a race or setting a faster time?
Only if the psychological effects of really digging your customized rider make you more confident. Trials Fusion customization parts are cosmetic changes only and do not alter the standard bike traits or game physics whatsoever. Regardless of what you do or do not purchase, everyone is playing by the same rules.

Why aren’t these items included with a purchased Season Pass or Awesome Level MAX?
The Season Pass offered 6 DLCs worth of Trials-expanding content for $20 and Awesome Level MAX will be set at an equivalent price-to-content ratio. We think that both the Season Pass DLCs and Awesome Level MAX offer a tremendous gameplay value. The costs of developing these customization items require us to charge for them.

There are also customization objects that will be available in Awesome Level MAX that do not rely on either the previous currency or Acorn currency systems and will instead be available for all ALM players.

Can I earn ALL of the items by playing in Tournaments?
While it is possible to unlock enough content to deck out your rider and your favorite bike, it will take time. It would be very difficult, if not impossible, to unlock every piece of customization gear for each bike and rider solely from Tournament play.

AgentLoFi
07-07-2015, 07:10 PM
Can I earn ALL of the items by playing in Tournaments?
While it is possible to unlock enough content to deck out your rider and your favorite bike, it will take time. It would be very difficult, if not impossible, to unlock every piece of customization gear for each bike and rider solely from Tournament play.

This is very disappointing :(

VEGASTRASH
07-07-2015, 08:24 PM
If you place top 10% in a tournament, how many acorns do you receive....roughly?
This is the question. 1000 acorns = $5. A full outfit may run 2000 acorns, $10. A tournament takes maybe 5 minutes. If a tournament placing in the top 10% yields 100 acorns...one hour of tournament gameplay should= $5 of value roughly.
Personally, there is no doubt that rider gear...full outfits, etc should have came with each dlc. There's no reason it shouldn't. Fmx, skill games, challenges suck a lot of resources in development. You'd be able to create say 20 outfits each dlc easily...if the time were focused on those. XP points could have been used as cash or in conjunction with. Each dlc would add to the progression of the game with unlockables. The only way this was overlooked was to use this as a cash grab.
So how many acorns do you get for placing top 10% in a tournament? You can't handle the truth!! Haha

BeardinUSA
07-07-2015, 09:51 PM
Lol. While I am always right, sometimes I really wish I wasnt.

$10 for an outfit? thats half the price of the base game and thats not even the "higher tiered premium content". And, "if not impossible" to earn through normal play. Bravo, good show ole boy.

Ahh, what a beautiful mess this series is becoming. I wont hammer the point home, no reason to shoot the messenger.. especially since I think even the messenger already knows how ridiculous this is. Even for microtransactions these are godawful.

booped
07-07-2015, 09:54 PM
I'm speechless.

dallaboo
07-07-2015, 11:10 PM
While I dont like cowclicker tactics, its not suprising concidering the way latest Ubisoft games were headed. Its some kind of new policy they had for the last few years since... AC IV I'd say.
Rayman Legends was the last "old design" game they released, with no DLCs and no paid unlocks and other crap, only content. So this is not really a RedLynx thing, its more of a Ubisoft direction in how their games are to be used and played.

Most important part is that people are not locked out of content they paid for, its just visual stuff to look cooler to your opponents like in League of Legends( and I have alot of skins there during my 5+ years of playing it). People love to grind in Trials anyway so I dont see this as something gamebreaking, just extra fluff for those that want the shiny stuff and for those that want to pay-to-not-play like in Frontier. Pricing will be off through the roof for sure, if they're gonna follow Frontier model. There's a sale on it right now, 15 euros/dollars for a bike skin and some diamonds/acorns to give you a hint. And thats 50% off price.
So sure, bring it.

Hairy Cabbage
07-08-2015, 03:18 AM
I miss the old days when games rewarded cosmetic items for in-game accomplishments... now developers only ever seem to include cosmetic items for profit. oh well...

I-Fazo-I
07-08-2015, 04:09 AM
i have nothing against selling outfits and stuff but 5 or even 10$ for ONE outfit? are you kidding me?

En0-
07-08-2015, 05:32 AM
Hi everyone,

I will try to answer some questions.

"How many acorns do you get when you place well in a tournament?"
It's something we haven't decided yet and it's something that can change depending on the tournament or event. So, we will adapt depending on what we see happening in game, what feedback we receive from the community and what we want to do at that time (if we want to have a lot of activity at some point, we'll probably do a tournament that rewards more than the others for example).
Also, we haven't decided how many tournaments rewarding acorns there will be every month. It's in nobody's interest to be able to get everything for free but it's in everyone's interest that players who play regularly get something regularly. Both are not mutually exclusive.

"10$ one outfit! It's a lot!"
Yes, it is. However, it's not the price of every outfit. It's actually the price of a 5 or 10% of the items. The majority of the items are much lower and we try to cover a large range of pricing (from very cheap to quite expensive). This is to ensure every profile of player gets something that fits his expectation. It's a little bit like when you buy shoes, you can find some shoes for 5$ and some shoes for 400$, up to you then to take what you want and leave the rest. Some people will go for the 400$ shoes.
Also, please take into account that the pack 4.99$ / 1000 acorns is the smallest one. There are 3 other bigger packs that gives a better ratio $/accorns which decreases the price of the items.

"It's used as a cash grab. Why do we have to pay? Why you just don't do less FMX/challenges and give customization objects for free or as part of the DLC?"
That's not as simple as that. It's not "FMX or customization" (especially as it's not done by the same people) and from a business strategy point of view, both fill different part of the strategy. FMX/challenges help us to open Trials to new players. Customization and virtual currency help us to keep the price of the base game and the DLCs lower.

"That's Ubisoft strategy."
I will say it once more. It has nothing related to Ubisoft. We have a great collaboration with everyone inside Ubisoft and it really helps us to be part of Ubisoft but the game is the responsibility of RedLynx. For the introduction of the virtual currency, I have been in the discussions since the beginning and responsible to lead its design and implementation. The initial talk was "how can we support more/longer the game while keeping the prices down and keeping the project profitable (which is obviously the condition to be able to keep working on the game/licence) ?". One part of the answer was to introduce a way for the community to support the game more and to invest in it more.

If I stand here, it's because I believe we did the right thing for the players and for the team. It just needs to be explained and discussed respectfully.
The main point for us was to keep things fair, so: no ambiguity, no Pay2Win, only customization, totally optional.

Players associate naturally virtual currency to other business models they don't want to see on Fusion: Pay2Win, paywalls in the middle of the progression, recurring payment.
It was clear for us that none of that would happen in Trials Fusion: it doesn't impact gameplay, it doesn't block progression and when you buy something, you get it forever.

We chose to use virtual currency rather than proposing several big DLC packages with customization because it's better for players and for us, having virtual currency allows us to:
- Give some to players for gameplay/community activities and other give aways. This means players can get new things by just playing (which we couldn't do with DLC packages). Also, we'll give some acorns to everyone when the feature comes out.
- Release new objects more regularly.
- Organize discounts when we want/how we want without having to go through Sony/Microsoft.
- Propose more different objects and players can get only what they want (in a DLC player has to take everything or nothing).

I hope this information give you more visibility and if you have other questions, feel free.

Thank you,

Eno

Papasmur
07-08-2015, 08:36 AM
It would be very difficult, if not impossible, to unlock every piece of customization gear for each bike and rider solely from Tournament play.
:( From what I can see, not many people play tournaments regularly anyway, now this :(

Hi everyone,

Players associate naturally virtual currency to other business models they don't want to see on Fusion: Pay2Win, paywalls in the middle of the progression, recurring payment.
It was clear for us that none of that would happen in Trials Fusion: it doesn't impact gameplay, it doesn't block progression and when you buy something, you get it forever.

This might carry more information than what is seen initially. Just a speculation

En0-
07-08-2015, 09:04 AM
Hello,

This might carry more information than what is seen initially. Just a speculation

It's a precaution because I don't want my words be used for Frontier :)

If you mean "it may mean something for the future games", we're not in a phase for next projects where we discuss the business model, we're much earlier than that, so I have no idea what we will do in the future related to this question.

Hope this transparency helps, there is no reason to worry about how I worded my phrase, just wanted to be sure my words were not used to talk about Frontier that works on a different business model, for different platforms and for a difference audience :)

Cheers,

BeardinUSA
07-08-2015, 09:30 AM
It's in nobody's interest to be able to get everything for free

On the contrary, I would totally be interested in that. I cant speak for everyone else, but you can give me all the items for free and I wont be upset.

En0-
07-08-2015, 09:53 AM
On the contrary, I would totally be interested in that. I cant speak for everyone else, but you can give me all the items for free and I wont be upset.

Hello,

It may be a little bit short minded :)
I think you'd be happy when you get them, but you wouldn't happy that as we don't keep our budgets in balance, we stop supporting the game and we don't do another game neither.

If I like a singer, or a company, or whatever, I buy the product because I want it, but also because I'd like to see what they can do next :) If I don't pay for it, I can't complain if nothing comes after it.

That's what I had in mind with this phrase.

Cheers,

Ozy Be
07-08-2015, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the update...sort of:nonchalance:

But I have genuine question...
Will the existing customization pieces be only purchasable under the new currency scheme after the update?
So I'm thinking should I spend the million or so I have right now on the pieces currently available or will they always be listed with the "old" money?
If they are going to be shifted across to new currency I think it's time to empty the wallet.

I have a lot to buy "if I was to ever buy it" and a reasonable amount in account to buy a fair bit of it.
I don't really have a need to buy any cosmetic items as I quite like the appearance of my rider as is (my HD Tshirt and spikey mohawk helmet:cool:)
But if everything is going to be switched over to new currency there's really no point in hanging on to it I'm thinking.

In terms of grinding tournaments I guess if I know I want something in particular I can tourney grind towards the required amount,
But it has to be said,
This IS a worrying precedent, and although I fully understand the need for revenue to support future development,
A lot of players like to have everything available to them within a game and they will simply walk away when their sums are done and I then worry about any future development if their is not as many players their at all to develop for...

Cheers:)

En0-
07-08-2015, 11:29 AM
Hi Ozy,

The objects that are now in-game for in-game currency will remain as in-game currency.
Also, iBlubbil proposed to add a new expensive object to use this currency, we're looking at that for a future update (more info to come in a few weeks).

The objects that can be purchase with acorns can be only purchased with acorns.

I understand the worry at the end of your post and we took it into account. The problem exists but it shouldn't impact too much.

Regards,

Ozy Be
07-08-2015, 12:01 PM
:)Thanks Eno, thats good to know.
I'll save those pennies in hope of an epic, expensive item(s) down the line:)

And yes, I'm sure all eventualities have been considered and hope there is minimal impact on the playerbase,
Still in two minds whether I'd like to see this "new" model be successful or not though to be honest, because as much as I would like to see you guys be successful in all ventures and secure future development I also have a little piece of mind wanting to see it scrapped because I can't feel bad for wanting free stuff lol;)

Cheers Eno.

IImayneII
07-08-2015, 02:25 PM
My toughts on this...

Looks like the price to content ratio only applies to season pass/dlc's, not the customisations (based on what we know now at least), wich feels weird. I would say, if this is done to keep the base game etc.. at a low price I am fine with that, but since the game is already out for over a year I don't think this is the case. That said, I would rather pay more for a base price and get all the content a game offers than something like this.

I don't like the introduction of a 'grind' mechanic to get customisation content for free this late after a game's launch (+1 year), specially when it wil near to impossible to get everything just by playing. It would have been better if this system was introduced near/at launch in my opinion. And I don't see why that couldn't have been the case.

funktastic-
07-08-2015, 07:58 PM
The problem here is not redlynx or even ubisoft , the problem is that there is too many people in the world who don't understant the actual value of money. The majority of this game will no doubt be children and it wont be their money that is being spent. The other problem is the same as always and that its always portrayed as virtual money being via transaction which is without a question so easy for kids to be seduced into clicking yeah i will buy. The one true fact in this i guess is how redlynx monitor the buying stage or checkout. I hope there is indeed a password stage where they will need the password from parents to actually buy these. As we know ps4 xbox are very cleaver at keeping this open so any child can or could buy anything they liked on card. It will be good to see how the actuall buying stage is managed and that should be an indicator of if its a money grab or not.

I guess i dont blame redlynx , ubisoft or anyone else but the stupid people who buy such items. I used thge same stratergy at only the age of 13 years old which had me earning 90 a day at the begining. If there is people are willing to pay and there is millions then its only supplying to the demand.

I think that amount of cash for an outfit a complete rip off and would not ever in my life part with one dime , But then i have my head screwed on , millions havent and nothing wrong with taking advantage of that. People who expect that a company should cater for its core fan base at every turn will no doubt end up with no game at all.

Please though redlynx dont let this rip us parents off by not putting a decent amount of protection on how to buy things. Im lucky my kids dont play this game but then again my kids wouldnt buy without my permission but there is many that will. I can imagine alot of parents face's hitting the floor if they get a bank statement through the door with transactions of acorns hahaha. Fifa did this to many parents dont follow suit.

Oh i do have a question also lol...

Is the acorns only gained from playing tournemants , i didnt read any other way that they can be earnt If so this is one big downer for me because i do not really participate in them and dont really wish to so if there is no other way to gain them , then i guess i wont be able to pimp my ride up. Not that big a deal but i would like to see these given for other things around the game , like the building aspect. Also will the tutorials just be about riding your bike or will they implement other tutorials for building in the new dash board. cheers

RetiredRonin
07-08-2015, 08:40 PM
I hope there is indeed a password stage where they will need the password from parents to actually buy these. As we know ps4 xbox are very cleaver at keeping this open so any child can or could buy anything they liked on card.

On PS4:
Set PlayStation Store spending limits

There are a number of tools available to Master Account holders that help control spending by Sub Accounts. One such feature is the ability to set how much money can be spent in a calendar month.

To set a monthly spending limit, make sure you are logged in to the Master Account.
From the PS4's Home Screen, press up on the d-pad to get to the Function area.
Go to (Settings) > [Parental Controls] > [Sub Account Management].
Choose the Sub Account you'd like to restrict and press the X button. Then choose [Parental Controls]
Under [Monthly Spending Limit] choose the maximum dollar amount you'd like the Sub Account to be able to spend in a month. This does not fund the Sub Account, it simply restricts the maximum amount of money they can spend in a calendar month even if there are additional funds available in the wallet.

On Xbox One:

Go to the Home screen.
Press the Menu button on the controller.
Select Settings.
Click Sign in, security & passkey.
Select Create my passkey.
Enter a 6-digit passkey.
Confirm your passkey.
Once you have your passkey, select the Purchase requires passkey check box. Now, when you want to make a purchase with your saved Xbox Live profile, youll be prompted to enter your passkey. To turn this feature off, repeat this step and clear the check box.

Is the acorns only gained from playing tournemants , i didnt read any other way that they can be earnt If so this is one big downer for me because i do not really participate in them and dont really wish to so if there is no other way to gain them , then i guess i wont be able to pimp my ride up. Not that big a deal but i would like to see these given for other things around the game , like the building aspect. Also will the tutorials just be about riding your bike or will they implement other tutorials for building in the new dash board. cheers

Question about Acorns - We haven't announced anything else.

Question about videos on the community dash - I wouldn't think that it would just be riding replays and the like.

kn000t
07-08-2015, 10:07 PM
I'm very disappointed.
You deliberately cut a great feature from Trials Evolution: the customization right down to the last detail of the bikes and rider. I don't know if this happened due to missing time in order to reach the deadline for release or if you thought it wasnt that important to the players or you always had a payoption in your minds.
But the players voiced their opinion very clearly, that they are disappointed in the lack of customization. Your response was as always something like: "We hear you, we listen to you, we're not done with fusion, its work in progress".
Now with all the patches and DLCs released so far, not much happened regarding customization. Just some full body kit and helmets were added.
It feels the same since release of Fusion. There was a thread in the old forums what players would like to see in a future Trials game. And the wishes mentioned most often were: fix tireglitches, fix leaderboards (glitched scores), fix broken replays.
And then came Fusion. Tire glitches are worse than Evo, glitched leaderboards were the same, broken Replays were still a thing at release (couldnt even slomo) and MP wasnt there. When skimming through the forums it seems there are still bugs that are not fixed since release.

And now you release advanced rider and bike customization as a "have to pay" option for a game we already payed for.
The sad thing is that a lot of the skins are already in the patch files for the last big patch, but we just arent able to equip them. So its not even brand new content, but stuff you kept back. Some players have invested so much blood, sweat and tears in the game, have earned millions of ingame dollars and arent even able to spend them on new stuff unless they pay for acorns.
Thats just not fair.

B8ZZ
07-08-2015, 11:09 PM
En0- or Shifty, will the DLC be up for pre-load on Xbox One?

En0-
07-09-2015, 06:09 AM
Hello,

En0- or Shifty, will the DLC be up for pre-load on Xbox One?

I don't think there will be pre-load. The data are contained in the patch that will go live around the same time as the digital stores update (details still in discussion with Microsoft and Sony).

Regards,

mutetus
07-09-2015, 06:21 AM
Funny, my son's Xbox and tablet didn't have my credit card number preinstalled.

En0-
07-09-2015, 06:48 AM
Hello Kn000t,

First, thanks for the honest feedback. It's very important for us. I am going to try to answer your post to give more visibility.

I'm very disappointed.
You deliberately cut a great feature from Trials Evolution: the customization right down to the last detail of the bikes and rider. I don't know if this happened due to missing time in order to reach the deadline for release or if you thought it wasnt that important to the players or you always had a payoption in your minds.

So, I was not on the project when this decision was made (several years ago), from what I understood, it mainly comes from a problem of scope (it's not always to meet the deadline, it can also be to fit in the budget constraint). This decision was not made with what you call the "pay option" because the virtual currency came in the discussion years after. I don't think there is a connection between boths.

But the players voiced their opinion very clearly, that they are disappointed in the lack of customization. Your response was as always something like: "We hear you, we listen to you, we're not done with fusion, its work in progress".
Now with all the patches and DLCs released so far, not much happened regarding customization. Just some full body kit and helmets were added.

That's correct, I am just going to precise what has been added:
The DLC contained 6 objects I believe (3 objects for the rider, 3 objects for the bikes).

The free update number 9, in June, added the female rider with 2 outfits for her.

It feels the same since release of Fusion. There was a thread in the old forums what players would like to see in a future Trials game. And the wishes mentioned most often were: fix tireglitches, fix leaderboards (glitched scores), fix broken replays.
And then came Fusion. Tire glitches are worse than Evo, glitched leaderboards were the same, broken Replays were still a thing at release (couldnt even slomo) and MP wasnt there. When skimming through the forums it seems there are still bugs that are not fixed since release.

The tire glitch: It will never be fixed, it's not fixable. We stated it a long time ago.
The glitched leaderboards are fixed now even if it has been far too long to get fixed. If there are still problems with the leaderboards, please open a thread on the support section of the forum, I'll help to see what we can do.
The broken replays: 99% of the replays are working, but yes you can find some that don't work. It's a really complicated feature that really few games implement it with the flexibility we give, so it comes with a cost of some defect. It particularly hard to keep working because of the number of different cases and the fact we keep working on the game (meaning all replays have to work with all versions). I am personally satisfied with how the replays work currently and with the camera replay we added, I think this feature is even better than it has been on previous Trials game (also, we reintroduce the slow mo feature during spring when it was finally working).

I want to make clear: It's not in our vision to make a game totally bug free. The games became more and more complex and making them totally bug free would require us to use some methods (NASA style) that would skyrocket the price of the games. So, a totally bug free game shouldn't be expected. However, there are acceptable bugs and non-acceptable bugs. We do our best to fix the non-acceptable ones (the ones that totally break the game / the experience).

And now you release advanced rider and bike customization as a "have to pay" option for a game we already payed for.
The sad thing is that a lot of the skins are already in the patch files for the last big patch, but we just aren't able to equip them. So its not even brand new content, but stuff you kept back. Some players have invested so much blood, sweat and tears in the game, have earned millions of ingame dollars and arent even able to spend them on new stuff unless they pay for acorns.
Thats just not fair.

So, I would like first to mitigate the "have to pay" expression. Players will be able to get some of it without paying, just by playing some tournaments and participating to some community events for example. But it's correct that players won't be able to unlock everything without paying anything probably.

Yes, players payed to get access to the game and get the features and content that were in and we released a tons of free updates. At some point, we also have to make sure the project is profitable, so we have to give a way to players who want to support us more to be able to do so. You can check my previous posts in the different thread where I explain why I think Trials Fusion is one of the best deal (value for money) on the market.

For the "it's already in the files of the last patch", to be honest, I don't exactly know what is in the datapack of the last patch (some of them probably are in because they were the firsts ready) but I don't think it changes anything to the question. They are brand new in the sense that nobody got access to them and they are ready for some but we still have to adapt menus and all the features around to make them work in game. So, the ones that will release next week are brand new: nobody saw them, nobody used them. Also, even if they were produced some time ago, they still impact our budget and we still have to make sure the budgets are balanced.

For the ingame dollars, there has been a proposition from iBlubbil (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1201061-Dev-Update-Update-10-Coming-Soon?p=10897898&viewfull=1#post10897898) that we are looking at and we'll get back about that in a few weeks to propose something.

So, even if I can understand why you think "it's not fair", I will disagree with this statement. I think we're really fair and we do our best for the players to have the best deal. However, if we want to have nice things, we need to understand that not everything can come for free but it's always in our goal to give access to as many things as possible to as many players as possible.

Thanks again to share your feedback, it's really appreciated.

Eno

VEGASTRASH
07-09-2015, 07:22 AM
Eno, in regards to the outfits and making the game profitable...etc. I don't see anything wrong with having an option to buy these...but are you actually saying a game that has generated 50 million dollars in sales can't be profitable without charging people for bike upgrades and rider outfits? Charging $5-$10 for an outfit is quite high for a game that sells for $20...as Beard stated. If people are buying the game..shouldn't they be able to legitimately earn these items? And not allowing actual money in the game to be used for these items is a bit odd. It's a way of pulling more money from the loyal fans. You play a game for a year straight, accumulate over a million imaginary dollars and then are told, "oh...you actually need acorns for outfits...not money you've been earning along the way."
It's pretty amusing to say the least.
I'm glad some new content is coming our way and there are many positives to Fusion, but let's just call the acorn system what it is...a cash grab. It would be a little better if outfits were $2 or $3....something reasonable. And why not let the player actually earn the currency in game to get whatever they want? Remember how game progression used to be.
On another note, you have a community who creates content for your game for free...that will be used in game. Why not return the favor and give content to your loyal fan base?
I recall Trials HD doing ok...3 million units sold roughly? No charging for outfits, tremendous dlc value....seemed to do ok. Was this game not profitable?

Micro transactions are a sign of the times. Corporations will tell you game development costs are too much now, etc...but it just comes down to human greed. Much like television advertising increasing over the years or numerous logos posted at sporting events. I'd prefer to be told...we want to make as much money as possible and if selling outfits allows for this...we are ok with it.
Just tell me that next time.

skycamefalling84
07-09-2015, 09:21 AM
I'm going to quickly speak my opinion here (not meant to insult or hurt anyone)

I think the Microtransactions aren't going to ruin the game. I generally don't really like that sort of stuff, but there are a few things to be considered:

1. You only pay for purely cosmetic changes! So I have to ask: What are you *****ing about?! Calm the **** down. Noone's forcing you to buy anything. You sound like a bunch of little crybabies...

2. Let's be honest, we DID get quite a lot for free, didn't we?

3. You paid 20 $/€/BP for that game. 20!!!! 40 with 6 DLCs included!!! Are you insane to complain about that?! Every other company would have charged you 60 for the "main" game and probably another 30 for the season pass! And yes, alright, multiplayer should have been included from the get go and there were some bugs here and there, but COME ON!!?!?!

4. I haven't played a game for such a long time since COD4, so in terms of value for money? I think I'm doing alright...

That set aside, I think a way to convert earnt ingame money to Acorns (on anything around a 100/1 to 1000/1 ratio) would be appropiate, but we'll see what happens there.

And of course, now all those posts will be popping up saying "but in Evo..." "but in Trials HD...". GET OVER IT! Times are changing. This is a completely different game than before. In 1990 you could buy a Volkswagen Golf for... gee, I don't know... 10,000? Now it's 2-3 times as much, yes. But it's better than the old one. It doesn't break down as much, it doesn't rust away right under your ***, it goes faster.... "but back then it was much cheaper! booohooo"

I'm not trying to crawl up Redlynx' bottom here, not trying to defend them, or anything, just saying stop complaining so much, stop only seeing the "bad" things Trials Fusion brought you and start looking at the good things. You are all crying on a very high, first-world-problem kinda level, don't you think?

(And don't you dare coming on here with 20 days of ingame play time saying "there's nothing good about it, most terrible game in history, blablabla...". I suppose if it was so bad you wouldn't have played it for that amount of time, would you?)

En0-
07-09-2015, 10:04 AM
Hello Vegastrash,

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it's worded with a strong opinion but still respectfully. I will take the time to answer things one by one.

are you actually saying a game that has generated 50 million dollars in sales can't be profitable without charging people for bike upgrades and rider outfits?

No idea where this figure comes from and what it represents actually. Also, it needs to be related to the cost of the project. I am just saying that we don't lose money but we're not making a huge margin neither :)

Charging $5-$10 for an outfit is quite high for a game that sells for $20...as Beard stated.

To be honest, we had this exact discussion inside the team. And there is this question: What's the logical dependency between the price of an item and the price of the game? It's not obvious and there are different opinions inside the team about that.

The vision was to add a good amount of objects and to cover a large price range to cover the different profiles of players. If you believe an object is too expansive, just don't buy it. There are cheaper objects and there will be sales/discounts from time to time.

Making an object quite expensive also set its value as "something rare" / "something that most of other players won't have" and it's what some players are looking for. If we set everything at the same price and at a low price, we wouldn't be able to satisfy this type of demand.

If people are buying the game..shouldn't they be able to legitimately earn these items?

They should be able to earn the items that are in the offer they paid for. These items are part of another offer.

And not allowing actual money in the game to be used for these items is a bit odd. It's a way of pulling more money from the loyal fans.

let's just call the acorn system what it is...a cash grab.
The way it's worded (cash grab/pulling more money) makes it look like it's really greedy (greedy in the sense "excessive").
We are not forcing loyal fans to put more money. If they don't want to put more money, they can keep playing the game, having access to track central and all the features without spending more money. It's totally optional, so I don't think it's greedy.

Instead of using the same expression as you, I'd use the word "monetization" which simply means: you propose a product/service that people appreciates, you find a way to recover your budget for. I don't think we can be blamed for that.

You play a game for a year straight, accumulate over a million imaginary dollars and then are told, "oh...you actually need acorns for outfits...not money you've been earning along the way."
It's pretty amusing to say the least.

The ingame money you spend doesn't pay the salary of the team who develops the game :)
We made tons of free updates and also some content (female rider for example and some XSX / SX tracks). But at some point, we need to refresh the stream of revenue or we'll have to stop earlier the support. We're still working on another very good free feature update for later this year and we have to find a way to finance it. (it's more complicated than that but it's the idea)

Also, when iBlubbil came to propose something for the in-game money that seems like something we're able to do and that improve the user experience, we acknowledged we received the proposition and that we'll get back to that in a few weeks. So, save your imaginary million dollars, they'll be used as well.

And why not let the player actually earn the currency in game to get whatever they want?

Because it decreases the monetization.

On another note, you have a community who creates content for your game for free...that will be used in game. Why not return the favor and give content to your loyal fan base?

The fact we are using this virtual currency is also giving us the flexibility to be able to give some when we want to who we want (like for community activities, great builders, community event organizers,etc...). We don't know yet what and how we'll do it but it's clearly considered. However, it concerns a really really small part of the players.

I recall Trials HD doing ok...3 million units sold roughly? No charging for outfits, tremendous dlc value....seemed to do ok. Was this game not profitable?

So it's hard for me to talk about it because I didn't work on it at all. Trials HD launched 6 years ago. At the industry level, it's an eternity. I don't know the budget for Trials HD, but to compare it to Fusion budget, I think we're talking about a factor 10 as a rough estimate.

Micro transactions are a sign of the times. Corporations will tell you game development costs are too much now, etc...but it just comes down to human greed. Much like television advertising increasing over the years or numerous logos posted at sporting events. I'd prefer to be told...we want to make as much money as possible and if selling outfits allows for this...we are ok with it.
Just tell me that next time.

In the last 10 years, the budget of games production exploded for a lot of reasons: HD came in, quality is always raising, games are always bigger, costs of everything raised, etc...). But the price of sale is roughly the same (60/70 euros depending on you country). How many industries kept their prices stable during that period? I don't know any. The number of gamers (console/PC owners I mean) also increased but not by the same proportion and the number of games released every month also increased. So that's more expensive and there is more competition. The projects need to remain profitable (highly profitable for the most risky ones who spend more than 50 millions) and that's why there are season pass, DLCs and micro transaction. (there is a great article about tha ton Rock Paper Shotgun or Kotaku... can't find it anymore but if someone knows what I am talking about, please link :) ) Then, there are games who do that right and games who do that wrong and it's a point of view. I explained mine earlier in this thread and that's the one we're following in our design and communication.

I can't speak for all Ubisoft because it's a 10 000 company people, but I can speak for Trials Fusion. None of our decision is driven by "making as much money as possible" but each of our decision takes into account the budget we have and the money we make. If it was the case, we'd have done a lot of things differently. The idea is more "if it's a good game with a good success (like Fusion), it's tailored in a way that ensure we recover our budget and a little bit more." "if it's a tremendous success, we will have deserved to make much more money".

Look at the DLC price for the Awesome Max Pack. We could clearly have put it higher and people would still buy it. The Awesome Max Edition (base game + season pass + DLC) is also a great value for money because we want that a maximum of players can enjoy the game. So, I really think we're not greedy. Trials needs to be a great "value for money" deal, it's in the DNA of the brand until now and we want Fusion to continue this. I believe we succeeded that part.

Cheers,

funktastic-
07-09-2015, 10:59 AM
On PS4:
Set PlayStation Store spending limits

There are a number of tools available to Master Account holders that help control spending by Sub Accounts. One such feature is the ability to set how much money can be spent in a calendar month.

To set a monthly spending limit, make sure you are logged in to the Master Account.
From the PS4's Home Screen, press up on the d-pad to get to the Function area.
Go to (Settings) > [Parental Controls] > [Sub Account Management].
Choose the Sub Account you'd like to restrict and press the X button. Then choose [Parental Controls]
Under [Monthly Spending Limit] choose the maximum dollar amount you'd like the Sub Account to be able to spend in a month. This does not fund the Sub Account, it simply restricts the maximum amount of money they can spend in a calendar month even if there are additional funds available in the wallet.

On Xbox One:

Go to the Home screen.
Press the Menu button on the controller.
Select Settings.
Click Sign in, security & passkey.
Select Create my passkey.
Enter a 6-digit passkey.
Confirm your passkey.
Once you have your passkey, select the Purchase requires passkey check box. Now, when you want to make a purchase with your saved Xbox Live profile, youll be prompted to enter your passkey. To turn this feature off, repeat this step and clear the check box.

Question about Acorns - We haven't announced anything else.

Question about videos on the community dash - I wouldn't think that it would just be riding replays and the like.

cheers for the response shifty bud , i actually new about the parental control but had forgotten about it due to it not being an issue for my self. Parents will be wise to take note of the information you have given which is very helpfull.

Regarding Acorns , i asked this because within your first post regarding the dlc and the items , you and eno implied more than just one way to earn acorns but i only am seeing one way to earn them. I am sure that challenges and other ways were put forward in the thread. I understand that you obviously cant be totally 100% honest about whats hapening and are trying to be careful with your words so thats cool. But as far as how we are to earn these Acorns i find this unclear unless it is solely from one feature in the game. As previous there was other ways to earn these that were implied. Maybe this could be cleared up , if not dont worry abotu it its not that important.:)

En0-
07-09-2015, 11:01 AM
you obviously cant be totally 100% honest about whats hapening and are trying to be careful with your words so thats cool. But as far as how we are to earn these Acorns i find this unclear unless it is solely from one feature in the game.

Hey Funk,

We're actually 100% honest :) It's just that we haven't decided how/what we will do yet, we just know we have the flexibility for it :)

Cheers,

funktastic-
07-09-2015, 11:24 AM

I think the Microtransactions aren't going to ruin the game. I generally don't really like that sort of stuff, but there are a few things to be considered:

1. You only pay for purely cosmetic changes! So I have to ask: What are you *****ing about?! Calm the **** down. Noone's forcing you to buy anything. You sound like a bunch of little crybabies...

3. You paid 20 $/€/BP for that game. 20!!!! 40 with 6 DLCs included!!! Are you insane to complain about that?! Every other company would have charged you 60 for the "main" game and probably another 30 for the season pass! And yes, alright, multiplayer should have been included from the get go and there were some bugs here and there, but COME ON!!?!?!

4. I haven't played a game for such a long time since COD4, so in terms of value for money? I think I'm doing alright...

That set aside, I think a way to convert earnt ingame money to Acorns (on anything around a 100/1 to 1000/1 ratio) would be appropiate, but we'll see what happens there.

And of course, now all those posts will be popping up saying "but in Evo..." "but in Trials HD...". GET OVER IT! Times are changing. This is a completely different game than before. In 1990 you could buy a Volkswagen Golf for... gee, I don't know... 10,000? Now it's 2-3 times as much, yes. But it's better than the old one. It doesn't break down as much, it doesn't rust away right under your ***, it goes faster.... "but back then it was much cheaper! booohooo"

I'm not trying to crawl up Redlynx' bottom here, not trying to defend them, or anything, just saying stop complaining so much, stop only seeing the "bad" things Trials Fusion brought you and start looking at the good things. You are all crying on a very high, first-world-problem kinda level, don't you think?

(And don't you dare coming on here with 20 days of ingame play time saying "there's nothing good about it, most terrible game in history, blablabla...". I suppose if it was so bad you wouldn't have played it for that amount of time, would you?)

Many of the above i agree with , especially evo. I do think people should just let that game be and stop comparing the 2. different age different times and all that. However it is obvious that almost every post in this thread has some constructive point towards the debate never mind what opinion people have about this new feature in which the devs shifty and eno are doing a good job to give replys even tho they might be alittle shy of the truth:p. However i dont think claiming everyone is crying is a very respectful way to contribute to a thread like this. even though people may not like this feature there seems to still be respect within the post and as a whole the entire thread until i read your post. It was alittle rude and very disrespectful to people opinions on this matter. I my self wonder why some are worried when they have the skill to no doubt get enough acorns to buy new york lol. I dont see how a person who has only had 6 posts can actually come to a conclusion that people are crying ?.This thread is one of many that most of the people within this thread participate within and have many different opinions. This is only one and cant be taken as a sole conclusion to base an opinion on someone. I think maybe you need alittle more forum time before having such a dramatic voice.

No malice intented bud , just how i sees it:) and how your post came across within a decent thread that is most likely being used for final decisions on whats going in the pot and whats not. have a good one :)
:)cheers

funktastic-
07-09-2015, 11:27 AM
@eno

ok bud and i didnt mean it in a bad way , just meant you might not be able to say all ( red tape and all that ) i really do hope there is other ways get these acorns. Would be so much more fun and i think gain a better refreshed track central. well help anyway.

empecee
07-09-2015, 11:57 AM

nice post im wondering if you could point out what bit of fusion is genuinely improved . 4 extra players on a year late multiplayer aside . thanks. and sure u dont have to buy anything but " having a carrot dangled " on your Favorite game . please

skycamefalling84
07-09-2015, 12:09 PM
However it is obvious that almost every post in this thread has some constructive point towards the debate (...) even though people may not like this feature there seems to still be respect within the post and as a whole the entire thread

Sadly, I don't think that's true, which his the reason why I posted this. There are posts that have constructive points, but there seem to be a lot where Redlynx is just attacked for everything within the game. At least they come across as such...

However i dont think claiming everyone is crying is a very respectful way to contribute to a thread like this.

Yes, you're right about that, I was being a little general there, sorry for that.

It was alittle rude and very disrespectful to people opinions on this matter.

That honestly wasn't my intention and again, I am sorry.

I dont see how a person who has only had 6 posts (...) I think maybe you need alittle more forum time before having such a dramatic voice.

Well, I don't see how only having 6 posts has anything to do with forming an opinion? I've been on the forums quite a while now, on a very regular basis, but I've played a very passive role, reading (a lot), not writing though. When I finally felt the need to express something, I created an account and did so. Doesn't mean I'm completely new to the forum and/or have no idea what's going on.

No malice intented bud , just how i sees it

No harm done.

I might still add, that I'm tired and exhausted from nightshift and maybe I went a little over the top there and like I said I'm sorry if anyone felt insulted, that was not my intention, but at the core, all rudeness aside, I stand by my opinion.

dallaboo
07-09-2015, 12:18 PM
Well, alot of bad feedback is cause it took Fusion 9 patches and 12 months to get where Evolution was at release feature wise.
And on the 10th patch we get "pimp my rider" section with bonus microtransactions.
If you are newcomer to Trials this new Awesome Max version is good as it gets, chock full of tracks, challenges, bikes etc. Best 40 bucks you can spend. No doubt about that.

Acorn thing is really win-win for Redlynx, little bit win for the players but mostly its for Redlynx.
Populate "pimp my rider" with items for little cost to develop=sell for big money=support the game longer.
I doubt its gonna make as much as Frontier with its ads and paywalls, but with a few people willing to chip in for shiny stuff, the acorns can guarantee a few more patches and feature updates.

skycamefalling84
07-09-2015, 12:33 PM
nice post im wondering if you could point out what bit of fusion is genuinely improved . 4 extra players on a year late multiplayer aside . thanks. and sure u dont have to buy anything but " having a carrot dangled " on your Favorite game . please

Better graphics (apart from HD), better sound and (and a lot of you are going to crucify me for that) better handling of the bike, at least in my opinion.
It seems to me that you were hoping for a Trials Evolution 2.0, which will never happen. It's not only a new game but they also had to transition to different platforms, which meant tweaking the game engine. They couldn't just take Evo as it was and slap new features in. Also, chances are, if they did that, most people would probably complain, that they made no effort and the game is just same old same old.

funktastic-
07-09-2015, 12:34 PM
Yeah i agree with alot of what you said bud and didn't reply to your post with any malice intent just when read it came across to me alittle sharp towards peoples opinions. Not sure you have to be sorry dude wasn't really what i meant but decent of you to say say either way.

I forget people like to watch lol :p so my bad for being ignorant to that fact too , i guess i noticed more because i too in some way wonder why people are against it so much so i guess i took interest in your post and too be honest i was thinking the same to a degree lol. Most are high skill level and will no doubt rack up the acorns within weeks.

Obvioulsy coming out of the closet with a very strong opinion towards people is going to in someway be seen worse than if you was always in the open if you get what i mean. But like i said i forget people just read and don't voice their thoughts. Maybe this is something i should take on board within this room a alittle more my self hahaha. The automated stars that the chat gives in posts can also make it seem far more malice is involved. I think anyhow

yeah no harm bud , cheers for the decent response to my reply bud and not taking my post to serious. have a good en:)

Hi empecee where you been hiding :p

BeardinUSA
07-09-2015, 12:58 PM

3. You paid 20 $//BP for that game. 20!!!! 40 with 6 DLCs included!!! Are you insane to complain about that?! Every other company would have charged you 60 for the "main" game and probably another 30 for the season pass! And yes, alright, multiplayer should have been included from the get go and there were some bugs here and there, but COME ON!!?!?!

If you need someone to explain to you the purpose and value of criticism... then I dont even know where to begin. One example being, because my teachers criticized my writing as I was growing up, I now have the ability to type posts in online forums without rambling incoherently.

skycamefalling84
07-09-2015, 01:07 PM
If you need someone to explain to you the purpose and value of criticism... then I dont even know where to begin. One example being, because my teachers criticized my writing as I was growing up, I now have the ability to type posts in online forums without rambling incoherently.

Yeah, you're right IF the criticism is constructive, which some in this thread doesn't seem to be, at least it comes across like that.

For example, "some dude" posted this earlier in the thread, which doesn't come across as rambled incoherently at all... [/sarcasm]

Ahh, what a beautiful mess this series is becoming. I wont hammer the point home, no reason to shoot the messenger.. especially since I think even the messenger already knows how ridiculous this is. Even for microtransactions these are godawful.
Sounds incredibly constructive to me...

BeardinUSA
07-09-2015, 01:34 PM
Yeah, you're right IF the criticism is constructive, which some in this thread doesn't seem to be, at least it comes across like that.

For example, "some dude" posted this earlier in the thread, which doesn't come across as rambled incoherently at all... [/sarcasm]

Sounds incredibly constructive to me...

Uh huh, well ill leave you to your trolling then. Not gonna get into a back and forth with you.

SuperCuteWalrus
07-09-2015, 02:00 PM
I don't want to get into the "is micro-transactions going to kill my game" debate. BUT!!!!!!!!!!
I am worried about the way you earn acorns. If torniments are truly the only way to earn them thats fine for me. Maybe i need to place in the top 10% to get some good earnings. I can do that, but average billy who just picked up the game can't. Lets face it, Trials is not an ez game, and I'm scared that this is just another thing to scare off new players. I want more players in my game, but some of my friends are already intimidated at how hard the game could be, i feel like this may make it worse. I would like to conclude however, since i don't know exact numbers i cant say for sure anything, but this does worry me.
Just my concerns.

empecee
07-09-2015, 02:37 PM
Better graphics (apart from HD), better sound and (and a lot of you are going to crucify me for that) better handling of the bike, at least in my opinion.
It seems to me that you were hoping for a Trials Evolution 2.0, which will never happen. It's not only a new game but they also had to transition to different platforms, which meant tweaking the game engine. They couldn't just take Evo as it was and slap new features in. Also, chances are, if they did that, most people would probably complain, that they made no effort and the game is just same old same old.

yes deep down i was hoping for evo 2 . but at the very least i was hoping for a substantial improvement.. sound and graphics go without saying . bike is subjective . so i still see nothing . the jump from hd to evo was ridiculously big and improved. fusion you seem to be happy to pay more for less ? if so enjoy your game .o and your unicorn x

skycamefalling84
07-09-2015, 02:38 PM
Uh huh, well ill leave you to your trolling then. Not gonna get into a back and forth with you.

It is not my intention to troll you or anyone and neither was it my intention to insult anyone, like I stated earlier.
I made a statement which was generally a bit rude, for which I apologized and you were rude towards me in particular and I responded to that. However, it is still not my intention to insult you and I don't want to pick a fight with you, or anything, so please forgive my earlier post, if you will.

BeardinUSA
07-09-2015, 10:58 PM
It is not my intention to troll you or anyone and neither was it my intention to insult anyone, like I stated earlier.
I made a statement which was generally a bit rude, for which I apologized and you were rude towards me in particular and I responded to that. However, it is still not my intention to insult you and I don't want to pick a fight with you, or anything, so please forgive my earlier post, if you will.

Well my intention was initially to respond in a serious manner.

But as I was trying to fashion a response and reading things like "Guys stop comparing trials fusion to EVO and HD, instead compare it to a volkswagon golf" I have no idea how to respond to something like that. I would have to explain the entire concept of comparisons just to show why trying to use a completely unrelated comparison as a mean of discrediting a highly analogous comparison makes absolutely no sense. And that is just part of a very long rant, it would have taken an unreasonable amount of time to fashion an adequate response. And for all I know you might be drunk or something so it would have been completely pointless.

But it seems like you are just upset people dont share your love of microtransactions, and im glad you have calmed down a bit and are talking some sense. So maybe I will try to explain to you why people are complaining.

There is no inevitable trend in the industry. Do you remember online passes? How many of your current games have online passes these days? Those went away because enough people complained about them to the point where the added revenue wasnt worth the bad press. If people dont want microtransactions in their games, its important they complain about them as well. Even if they dont go away entirely it will at least send these publishers/developers back to the drawing board to try and figure out how to repackage these things in a more consumer friendly manner.

I-Fazo-I
07-09-2015, 11:51 PM

you said its just cosmetics and we don't have to buy it.
but the problem is i want those cosmetics and the community has been asking for more customization options since ages. now as it turns out i won't have them if i have to pay +5$ for each of them.
that sucks big time whether i have the option to ignore it or not.
just bc other ppl have complained about other aspects of the game doesn't make me or others crybabies for disliking this particular change.
if anything this thread is exactly for that.

BJRACINE21
07-10-2015, 01:37 AM
but the problem is i want those cosmetics and the community has been asking for more customization options since ages. now as it turns out i won't have them if i have to pay +5$ for each of them.
just bc other ppl have complained about other aspects of the game doesn't make me or others crybabies for disliking this particular change.

Agreed. It wouldn't be a big deal if we didn't ask so much for customization. But, that was the one thing we wanted with new bikes and instead we got crappy FMX

funktastic-
07-10-2015, 03:22 AM
Skycamefalling did appologise twice and as i see it , the laws of the internet are that ya shake hands and move on , or if an invitation or gesture of an end to any argument is given it is deemed accepted.

The dude appologised twice ,i think a better man would have spit and shaked , instead of continuing to add aggrevating remarks to thier post. Not cool in my book just not cool at all.

I-Fazo-I
07-10-2015, 03:56 AM
Skycamefalling did appologise twice and as i see it , the laws of the internet are that ya shake hands and move on , or if an invitation or gesture of an end to any argument is given it is deemed accepted.

The dude appologised twice ,i think a better man would have spit and shaked , instead of continuing to add aggrevating remarks to thier post. Not cool in my book just not cool at all.

nobody is making a big deal out of it. maybe i shouldn't have said crybabies after he already apologised but more important was to get my point agross.

En0-
07-10-2015, 05:24 AM
Agreed. It wouldn't be a big deal if we didn't ask so much for customization. But, that was the one thing we wanted with new bikes and instead we got crappy FMX

There is no link between customization and FMX, not the same people doing it. Also, FMX brings new players while more customization doesn't.

So, this argument is not really relevant.

En0-
07-10-2015, 05:28 AM

You should read Shifty's posts and mines and see that we said "It will be possible to get some of them for free but not everything".

Also, as I explained in my previous post, I don't think we can be described as "greedy" (I explained why).
However, "I want everything for free" is something that we won't be able to satisfy.

Cheers,

En0-
07-10-2015, 05:29 AM
figure out how to repackage these things in a more consumer friendly manner.

I described in my previous post why it's the most consumer friendly manner to do it. If you have better idea, shoot but the problem is that you don't have the overall knowledge and understanding of the context, but still, maybe something interesting can come out of it.

BeardinUSA
07-10-2015, 06:00 AM
@Fazotronic85 Im pretty sure hes referring to me.

I have zero issues, its water under the bridge as far as im concerned. Since the tone of my initial response was brought up I was explaining the reason why it was flippant in nature. I assumed the purpose of bringing it up was so that I would address it, otherwise I would not have bothered.

Regardless there are no hard feelings as far as im concerned.

I-Fazo-I
07-10-2015, 06:40 AM
You should read Shifty's posts and mines and see that we said "It will be possible to get some of them for free but not everything".

Also, as I explained in my previous post, I don't think we can be described as "greedy" (I explained why).
However, "I want everything for free" is something that we won't be able to satisfy.

Cheers,

i have never asked for anything to be free let alone everything.
i also never said that you guys were greedy in general but having one outfit cost 10$ (even if its just one that cost that much) IS imo a bit greedy no matter how you put it.
it would be much easier for me to spend more money on the base game if that meant you would have more reasonable prices for this. i don't know how anyone could buy those outfits without feeling a bit weird.

BeardinUSA
07-10-2015, 07:26 AM
I described in my previous post why it's the most consumer friendly manner to do it. If you have better idea, shoot but the problem is that you don't have the overall knowledge and understanding of the context, but still, maybe something interesting can come out of it.

Well im against microtransactions in all forms. I think its a better long term solution to focus on growing your fanbase rather than milking your current fanbase for more money. While microtransactions might be commonplace on mobile and to a lesser extent on PC, there is still a huge stigma on console which I assume is the primary source of income for redlynx.

If you are dead set on putting them in fusion then I think it needs to be handled in the least obtrusive way possible. As other have mentioned, making the items easily obtainable through gameplay is a good way of doing it. The smart way to do it in my opinion is to launch microcurrency that is essentially worthless and virtually nobody would even consider buying. Then as time goes on start introducing more expensive and harder to obtain items. You know, let people dip their toes in the pool before shoving them in the water.

But I want to say again, I think microtransactions at this phase are an all around bad idea. This is the first trials game available on playstation, you are just beginning to establish a fanbase on that platform. There is plenty of money to still be made via traditional sales. Things like microtransactions should be reserved for when you can no longer grow through a traditional sales model imo.

Maybe im wrong but I was under the impression the trials series was doing well for itself. These types of monetization practices just seem out of place and unnecessary at this point. Unless redlynx is hard up for cash and layoffs are looming. This just seems like a case of a business trying to grow too fast. I think its an unnecessary risk, and I think it has a good chance of backfiring.

EDIT: And En0, even though I vehemently disagree with you on just about everything. I gotta give you credit for engaging with everyone, microtransactions are a particularly tough sell.

puddinsworld
07-10-2015, 07:35 AM
Hi all,

I love Trials. I suck at it, but I love it. It absorbs more of my time than is healthy, but I don't care. I loved evo, I love Fusion, and I love Frontier. They are all great. Sure there are some problems now and then, but Trials is the only game I have that has kept me interested for years on end playing every week.

Keeping Trials going is partly our responsibility as a community, and partly RedLynx. They are not going to make if we are not playing it, and they also aren't going to make it if they lose money on it. Most games at this point would be done - DLC out, sales cycle done, next game lined up. I know many may think this would be good for Trials too, but I would much prefer Fusion to last 5 years with continuous updates and a way of financing those than to put out a new games every 12 months / 2 years with the inevitable problems we have seen. Part of that is DLC - but DLC almost acts like a circuit breaker for the casual triallists who can't play most of Track central due to DLC components. So we are left with a few options - we either turn Trials into a yearly subscription service (which I don't think would work), or implement something that unfortunately seems to work..... microtransactions.

For people saying they would happily pay more for the base game, I see Trials on sale at my local game store for $20 (including DLC). We are not getting big numbers of full paying customers in here, so by keeping DLC prices down and implementing an additional income stream, hopefully we can keep a longer stream of content and get more people in when they see just how much you get with Fusion these days.

One point I would like to add is that if Tourny's are the acorn earning method, can we please change up the tournaments? I feel like they have been the same since Tourny's started....

Sure I might look at everything trials through rose coloured glasses - Sure some people would like Fusion to die and be replaced by the next version (which may or may not fix the real or perceived issues). At the end of the day the support we get in Trials is much greater than other comparable games.

booped
07-10-2015, 08:09 AM
I'm a great fan of keeping things simple, listen to what your customers want, build it for them and sell it to them.

When trials has micro transactions and unicorns obviously this process has not been followed.

Jongie
07-10-2015, 08:16 AM
Hi all,

I love Trials. I suck at it, but I love it. It absorbs more of my time than is healthy, but I don't care. I loved evo, I love Fusion, and I love Frontier. They are all great. Sure there are some problems now and then, but Trials is the only game I have that has kept me interested for years on end playing every week.

Keeping Trials going is partly our responsibility as a community, and partly RedLynx. They are not going to make if we are not playing it, and they also aren't going to make it if they lose money on it. Most games at this point would be done - DLC out, sales cycle done, next game lined up. I know many may think this would be good for Trials too, but I would much prefer Fusion to last 5 years with continuous updates and a way of financing those than to put out a new games every 12 months / 2 years with the inevitable problems we have seen. Part of that is DLC - but DLC almost acts like a circuit breaker for the casual triallists who can't play most of Track central due to DLC components. So we are left with a few options - we either turn Trials into a yearly subscription service (which I don't think would work), or implement something that unfortunately seems to work..... microtransactions.

For people saying they would happily pay more for the base game, I see Trials on sale at my local game store for $20 (including DLC). We are not getting big numbers of full paying customers in here, so by keeping DLC prices down and implementing an additional income stream, hopefully we can keep a longer stream of content and get more people in when they see just how much you get with Fusion these days.

One point I would like to add is that if Tourny's are the acorn earning method, can we please change up the tournaments? I feel like they have been the same since Tourny's started....

Sure I might look at everything trials through rose coloured glasses - Sure some people would like Fusion to die and be replaced by the next version (which may or may not fix the real or perceived issues). At the end of the day the support we get in Trials is much greater than other comparable games.

Amen! This is exactly what i think. I have no problem to spend some acorns to get some gears. Look at all the kickstarter campains. A lot of people spent so much money to support things they like, and they didn't know what they will get at the end. We know exactly what we get for our acorns, and we will be able to pick what you want to have. For me i handle this like a little donation to RL. Did this already with the xbox avatar gears back in evo. An that was only cosmetic for my avatar and not for my rider ingame. And if i'm right a lot of people from here were happy about that gear back in the days and there were not so many complaints about that, if i remember correctly. :p

En0-
07-10-2015, 08:40 AM
Hi,

I will answer everything later today, just missing a little bit out of time right now.

I would just like to try to not pick at each other and if you really have to, create another thread ;-)

Let's stay focused on Trials Fusion and its future.

Cheers,

skycamefalling84
07-10-2015, 09:37 AM
Well, sorry for all the fuss. Everything's fine, as far as I'm concerned.

To get back to topic...
I don't have anything against microtransactions in general, as long as there are a few things considered:

1. they should be purely cosmetic (which they are)

2. it should be possible to earn them in game, which they kinda are, but the conversion of ingame earnt $ to acorns should still be considered, since the ingame money gets totally worthless at some point pretty "early on" in the game. Like I said, a conversion rate of anywhere between 100/1 to 1000/1 would be nice, whereas the first one would be a really awesome gesture of the Redlynx team, but is probably (understandably) not going to happen and the second one would be on the other end of the spectrum, a little harsh, but I would still think of that to be fair. Meeting somewhere in the middle or 3/4 of the way would be the appropiate thing to do, I guess.

3. half the price would do as well, in my opinion, 10$ really does seem a bit much. On the other hand, if there will actually be a conversion of the ingame money to acorns and the conversion rate is fair, the pricing might be acceptable, given that you have a realistic chance to earn the acorns and people who don't want to wait/put that much time into the game can just buy it.

hypercuber314
07-10-2015, 01:22 PM
Hi all,

i agree except, i think a 5 year cycle for fusion is a bit long, maybe a 3-4 year cycle would be better. however i can perfectly understand why people that have been asking for more bike and rider customization feel frustrated.
there are a few things to consider, first is that it's the only place a system like this can be fairly implemented (i know many of you would prefer it not to be implemented at all)
secondly from what i understand the more expensive items are designed to be rare, an in game status symbol of sorts.
finally for those who don't like the new system, hypothetically, how would you feel if they made it possible to buy the in game money via microtransactions and added a few items costing 10,000,000? (this is way beyond what most people have earned and beyond reasonable grinding, and would probably cost more than $10 to buy)

i second the the idea of new tournaments, they were fun at first but they have got very repetitive. that being said i am really looking forward to the new update and DLC, they can't come soon enough.

I-Fazo-I
07-10-2015, 05:14 PM
finally for those who don't like the new system, hypothetically, how would you feel if they made it possible to buy the in game money via microtransactions and added a few items costing 10,000,000? (this is way beyond what most people have earned and beyond reasonable grinding, and would probably cost more than $10 to buy)

If it would cost more, that would be even worse. I dont understand the Point you're trying to make unless you're implying that ppl don't know how to count, the Price would still be to High changing nothing.

hypercuber314
07-10-2015, 06:16 PM
If it would cost more, that would be even worse. I dont understand the Point you're trying to make unless you're implying that ppl don't know how to count, the Price would still be to High changing nothing.

there wasn't really a point. more curiosity. some people are completely against microtranactions and would say no, some people have been asking for more items to spend their in game money on, ect. i wanted to clarify peoples views in terms of what people don't like about it by comparing it to a similar idea. from your comment i would say the price is the main issue for you, for other people it could be lack of grind-ability or something completely different. my only other point is what i said in the previous comment, that the more expensive items seem to be designed to be fairly rare like the more expensive cosmetic items in games like TF2.

I-Fazo-I
07-10-2015, 07:17 PM
Well i'm complaining about the Price because they already said that its going to be next to impossible to Grind out everything. Meaning not even the best of the best will get it forcing you to spend Money if you ever want to own One of the more expansive items.
I wouldn't care about the Price at all if that wasn't the Case.
So improving the grind-ability would be just as good as lowering the Price.
At the Moment anyone that will own that super rare item will just be 'that Guy that spended 10 bucks on One Outfit'.

I know nothing about tf2 but i assume they have lots items that are no where near 10 bucks.
But like i Said im just guessing and don't really care for tf2.

En0-
07-10-2015, 07:25 PM
I will answer more things later, but I can just answer this one easily/quickly.

Well i'm complaining about the Price because they already said that its going to be next to impossible to Grind out everything. Meaning not even the best of the best will get it forcing you to spend Money if you ever want to own One of the more expansive items.

When we say "can't grind out everything", it means it will be nearly impossible to grind the 30+ new items altogether. but grinding the most expansive ones will be possible if you focus on getting this ones and not the smaller ones.

I-Fazo-I
07-10-2015, 07:45 PM
I will wait and see how everything turns out. Most likely i won't care about most items anyways and if i manage to get the things i want this might not be as Bad as i thought. Cheers

En0-
07-11-2015, 06:19 AM
Hello,

Let's try to answer everything.

i also never said that you guys were greedy in general but having one outfit cost 10$ (even if its just one that cost that much) IS imo a bit greedy no matter how you put it.
it would be much easier for me to spend more money on the base game if that meant you would have more reasonable prices for this. i don't know how anyone could buy those outfits without feeling a bit weird.

There will be lot of items (including some outfits) with more reasonable prices.
The reason why there is a few objects with a higher price is to make them more rare as it is what some players want.

Cheers,

En0-
07-11-2015, 06:46 AM
Hello,

Well im against microtransactions in all forms. I think its a better long term solution to focus on growing your fanbase rather than milking your current fanbase for more money. While microtransactions might be commonplace on mobile and to a lesser extent on PC, there is still a huge stigma on console which I assume is the primary source of income for redlynx.

Can you explain why you're against? First it doesn't milk the fanbase. It's the same for everyone and the ones who will get the more free acorns (by playing the game and participating to some community events) are actually the players of the fanbase. Then, I really want to understand why players are against. My opinion is that they associate it with other practices (Pay2Win, recurring payment, micro-transaction required to progress etc...). However, in our case, the virtual currency is just a flexible way for us and the player to deal some customization object. It wouldn't have been better for players if we would have just put it in some big DLCs.

If you are dead set on putting them in fusion then I think it needs to be handled in the least obtrusive way possible.

I agree and I believe it is the case. I don't see how it is obtrusive as it is totally optional. I don't see how we can do less obstrusive.

As other have mentioned, making the items easily obtainable through gameplay is a good way of doing it.

Obtainable through gameplay is important.
"Easily" is relative (what is easy for a core player may be really difficult for another player). Also, if it's easy to get it for free, why would people buy it?

The smart way to do it in my opinion is to launch microcurrency that is essentially worthless and virtually nobody would even consider buying. Then as time goes on start introducing more expensive and harder to obtain items. You know, let people dip their toes in the pool before shoving them in the water.

No, that's manipulating players brain and that's not how we want to interact with our community. We want to be fair and transparent. We explain how we do it and why we do it and why doing it that way is the best way to go for them and for us.

But I want to say again, I think microtransactions at this phase are an all around bad idea. This is the first trials game available on playstation, you are just beginning to establish a fanbase on that platform. There is plenty of money to still be made via traditional sales. Things like microtransactions should be reserved for when you can no longer grow through a traditional sales model imo.

Playstation 4 is our biggest player base on Fusion. Trials is a game that we call "ever green" meaning most of the sales don't happen in the 2 months after launch. The game is sold steadily on the long term. However, we are now 16 months after launch and if the sales are satisfying, we still need to renew the stream of revenue by releasing a DLC and integrating micro transaction.

Maybe im wrong but I was under the impression the trials series was doing well for itself. These types of monetization practices just seem out of place and unnecessary at this point. Unless redlynx is hard up for cash and layoffs are looming. This just seems like a case of a business trying to grow too fast.

RedLynx is not hard up for cash and layoffs. In terms of business with Trials Fusion, our goal was to expand the brand as a real cross-platform HD brand through a quality game. We didn't reach the 90+ at launch as did Evolution but the score of 80 on metacritic reflects the quality of the game at launch. Now, even if not everything is perfect, we believe we reached a great quality and the indicators (retention, playtime, season pass sales, etc...) are in-line. The sales are also much stronger than on Evo. However, the budget was much bigger as well because working cross platform for the first time is expansive and the game is also much bigger/more complicated than the previous ones.

This type of monetization is the best for the player and for us. It's the most flexible and the fair way to do it. Please propose something that is fair for both parties and flexible :)

I think its an unnecessary risk, and I think it has a good chance of backfiring.

It won't backfire because it has been done by respecting players: partially easily grindable for free and totally optional (only cosmetics).

EDIT: And En0, even though I vehemently disagree with you on just about everything. I gotta give you credit for engaging with everyone, microtransactions are a particularly tough sell.

Thanks for this.

At the moment, I believe that people who are against this change don't go further in the reflexion than "Micro transaction are bad" and I disagree with that. There is a good way to do it and a bad way to do. We did the good way.

Cheers,

En0-
07-11-2015, 06:55 AM
Hello Puddinsworld,

Hi all,

Thanks for underlining that, that's something really important.

Keeping Trials going is partly our responsibility as a community, and partly RedLynx. They are not going to make if we are not playing it, and they also aren't going to make it if they lose money on it.

Totally true.

Most games at this point would be done - DLC out, sales cycle done, next game lined up. I know many may think this would be good for Trials too, but I would much prefer Fusion to last 5 years with continuous updates and a way of financing those than to put out a new games every 12 months / 2 years with the inevitable problems we have seen. Part of that is DLC - but DLC almost acts like a circuit breaker for the casual triallists who can't play most of Track central due to DLC components. So we are left with a few options - we either turn Trials into a yearly subscription service (which I don't think would work), or implement something that unfortunately seems to work..... microtransactions.

So Trials games are community based games, this doesn't fit really well with new releases that split the community. That's why we want to keep the game alive as long as possible.

I think we will do these special "acorn" tournaments during the week end and they will always be new.

Cheers,

En0-
07-11-2015, 07:02 AM
Hello booped,

I'm a great fan of keeping things simple, listen to what your customers want, build it for them and sell it to them.

When trials has micro transactions and unicorns obviously this process has not been followed.

The core community is a small part of the player base. We do things for this community but if we don't want to have to milk them, we also have to care about the rest of the player base.

I also disagree with the "do what your customers want", yes we have to do that but we don't have to do ONLY that.

As said, the unicorn didn't aim to satisfy the core players. For this, we did the "RedLynx vs All Stars" event. The unicorn is here to bring the game towards a more "stupidly fun and aventure" aspect which appeal to new players.

The micro transactions are not supposed to appeal to anyone (obviously) but if we communicate them well and explain why/how and why doing it that way is the best thing for the players and for us, I believe it can be positive at the end. If we do it the right way and are transparent about it, I am sure the community will understand.

Cheers,

En0-
07-11-2015, 07:05 AM
Hello skycamefalling,

Well, sorry for all the fuss. Everything's fine, as far as I'm concerned.

To get back to topic...
I don't have anything against microtransactions in general, as long as there are a few things considered:

1. they should be purely cosmetic (which they are)

2. it should be possible to earn them in game, which they kinda are, but the conversion of ingame earnt $ to acorns should still be considered, since the ingame money gets totally worthless at some point pretty "early on" in the game. Like I said, a conversion rate of anywhere between 100/1 to 1000/1 would be nice, whereas the first one would be a really awesome gesture of the Redlynx team, but is probably (understandably) not going to happen and the second one would be on the other end of the spectrum, a little harsh, but I would still think of that to be fair. Meeting somewhere in the middle or 3/4 of the way would be the appropiate thing to do, I guess.

3. half the price would do as well, in my opinion, 10$ really does seem a bit much. On the other hand, if there will actually be a conversion of the ingame money to acorns and the conversion rate is fair, the pricing might be acceptable, given that you have a realistic chance to earn the acorns and people who don't want to wait/put that much time into the game can just buy it.

The reason why we don't do a conversion is because the initial economy of the in-game $ was not designed for that and it's totally broken from that point of view. But we'll do something for this in-game $ currency as proposed by iBlubbil.

The 10$ price is the highest price for some objects, 95% of the objects are much lower than that.

Cheers,

En0-
07-11-2015, 07:12 AM
Hello,

i agree except, i think a 5 year cycle for fusion is a bit long, maybe a 3-4 year cycle would be better. however i can perfectly understand why people that have been asking for more bike and rider customization feel frustrated.

I don't think we'll go on a 5 year circle though :) In terms of community management and events, we may go on a 3 years plan (which is already huge). In terms of new content/feature, I think we'll have at least 1 feature update before the end of the year and some new content (customization objects) until October/November. This will bring us 20 months after launch which is already an achievement to have been able to support the game so heavily for such a long time.

After that, I hope we'll be able to do 1 big thing for Fusion somewhere in 2016 but I don't know exactly under which form yet and if we will be able to do it. I really hope, that would be great.

there are a few things to consider, first is that it's the only place a system like this can be fairly implemented (i know many of you would prefer it not to be implemented at all)
secondly from what i understand the more expensive items are designed to be rare, an in game status symbol of sorts.

This is correct.

i second the the idea of new tournaments, they were fun at first but they have got very repetitive. that being said i am really looking forward to the new update and DLC, they can't come soon enough.

For the tournaments, I think we'll do them during the week end and they will be new tournaments everytime. I hope we'll also be able to make the UGC working in tournaments properly for everyone.

Cheers,

En0-
07-11-2015, 07:16 AM
The update is coming soon now (I'll post today or tomorrow about that) and we can rediscuss it when you have your hands on it.

I posted a lot and it may look like I try too hard. But I know that introducing this is challenging and the community can be scared about that. However, we worked hard to make it right. So, it's important now to do the effort to explain it properly as the community deserves it. The way we did it is good for players and for us, it is fair and respectful.

Euler13
08-27-2015, 05:14 PM
First of all I want to thank the Trials developers for the series they have produced over the years. Personally I've been with you since Trials HD, I love the games, and they just keep getting better. I generally have nothing but praise, but I do have one query which borders on a criticism. I like that in the latest patch you can choose a female rider. However, at the same time you introduced Acorn micro-transactions. I've nothing against the principle of them, but it does seem a little unfair that there are a ton of outfits for male riders that can be purchased with normal in-game currency whereas the female riders only have two default outfits; one of them is excellent, whereas the other is that military style outfit?!

My question... Why is it that all the other female outfits require Acorns? I wouldn't call it sexist, but it is certainly not gender balanced and probably does little to encourage your female fans. It's certainly not a game breaker, as it's all about the tracks, but whilst tearing up a track you want your rider to look good.

purpleoozi
08-30-2015, 06:20 PM
Make every individual customization piece $1 (in acorns) - Charge $100,000 in-game currency per piece.

Make each individual full-outfit $2 (in acorns) - Charge $200,000 in-game currency per outfit.

Gamer's can spend in-game money - RedLynx can collect in-game (acorn) purchases.

"But how do we earn more in-game money once we've spent it all? Doesn't that leave us S.O.L. when future customization pieces become available?"

Answer-

For future purchases using in-game currency, if you've chosen to blow through all of your hard earned cash like there's no tomorrow, then your options are (A) Earn the acorns from tournaments to make future item purchases (B) Purchase acorns using real money in order to unlock the customization piece, or pieces you really want (C) Spend your in-game currency wisely and only buy what you really want.

And if in-game currency is a real issue, then RedLynx should start handing out $10,000 of in-game currency to people who place between 1-50 in tournaments and $5,000 to those who place 51-100 along with the acorns to provide even more incentive for people to play tournaments who ultimately don't want to have to pay real money for customization parts.

These are my rough thoughts/suggestions. Do the numbers all add up and make sense? Probably not. But hopefully the concept does.

Also, I didn't read every post in the thread. If I've repeated what's already been said over and over again then I apologize.

Also-Also: I want a tuxedo with a President Nixon mask (bank robber style like in the movie "Heat".. You know, Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro) as an outfit. It'll be the only thing I consider purchasing using real money (acorns).

Now I'm gonna go drink a Pepsi.

Deal with it.