PDA

View Full Version : Help required: need prespective on connecting with Ezio

avk111
07-06-2015, 12:21 AM
Good day folks,

I need some prespective, as you know AC2 is the highest rated assassins creed game so far in the entire series, and personally I'm trying to connect with Ezio, however his arc doesn't really give me a connection on a simple plot point, that would be when he witnesses the execution of his male family (father and brothers) reason is he is wearing the assassin garb, which covers his face during a very important point that starts his journey , personally I would have preferred that he witnesses the execution wearing his civilian clothes as we would be able to see his face and relate to his incident, however since he is wearing the assassin garb I can barely see his expression, not to mention the assassin garb would have been worn after the execution in order to give the protagonist the idea of growth from the actual events that caused his journey (the execution) now of that didn't make sense let me put it for you this way, would you prefer to see Bruce Wayne wearing the batman suit after the death of his parents or before ? Characterization of most Heros usually give us that the hero is born after the tragic events not before, Frank Castle , Peter Parker , etc, however with Ezio he was an assassin (looking like one to say the least) before the events that shifted his reality into vengeance (the execution) so I hope someone on this forum can give me some prespective in order to relate to Ezio, as it also bothers me that for the next twenty years he still wears the same garb (unless you modify it with dyes and armors in order to project change of the character from the moment of the execution up to his growth into a professional assassin/ which by the way I'm not sure if it's canon , since most images of the AC2 video game show Ezio in his white assassin garb with no armor) so please do help me out

Thank you

VestigialLlama4
07-06-2015, 06:00 AM
Ezio wears the Assassin outfit because his father told him to wear it and take his equipment from the chest. He doesn't change his clothes in-between because one his father and brothers are dead, his house is gone, he's on the run and he can't give a crap about changing his outfit at the time. He only cares about helping his mom and sister, and getting revenge.

I don't see why there's any need for confusion.

Xstantin
07-06-2015, 06:26 AM
it also bothers me that for the next twenty years he still wears the same garb (unless you modify it with dyes and armors in order to project change of the character from the moment of the execution up to his growth into a professional assassin/ which by the way I'm not sure if it's canon , since most images of the AC2 video game show Ezio in his white assassin garb with no armor) so please do help me out

Why not? Video games

phoenix-force411
07-06-2015, 10:49 AM
Eventually, Ezio does retire his father's robes towards the end of ACII, but that is never mentioned. More is explained and shown in ACB about what happened to his father and brothers after they were hung at the gallows.

avk111
07-06-2015, 11:10 AM
Ezio wears the Assassin outfit because his father told him to wear it and take his equipment from the chest. He doesn't change his clothes in-between because one his father and brothers are dead, his house is gone, he's on the run and he can't give a crap about changing his outfit at the time. He only cares about helping his mom and sister, and getting revenge.

I don't see why there's any need for confusion.

Thank you for your post,

Actually Giovanni told Ezio to take everything inside, Ezio could have put the items in a bag or something and the once he discovered the truth about his heritage , he would have worn the robes. But for some reason Ezio decided to put them on.

Wearing those robes while having his family being executed kind of turned it off for me as I didnt really get immersed with Ezio because we could not see his facial expressions.

None the less, having the same set of robes for the next 20 years is lacking for the development of the character, unless you consider dying the robes / adding armor , which in this case produces a more efficient development of the character.

More prespective is always appreciated please.

here is a deeper look into Ezio, taken from the book,

Part 1:

‘I took a bit of a beating, but I’m all right. More importantly, what of your mother and sister?’‘Safe now.’‘With Annetta?’‘Yes.’‘God be praised.’‘What happened, Father? Were you expecting this?’‘Not as quickly as this. They arrested Federico and Petruccio too – I think they’re in the cell behind this one. If Lorenzo had been here things would have been different. I should have taken precautions.’‘What are you talking about?’‘There’s no time for that now!’ Giovanni almost shouted. ‘Now,listen to me: you must get back to our house. There’s a hidden door in my office. There’s a chest concealed in a chamber beyond it. Take everything you find inside it. Do you hear? Everything! Much of it will seem strange to you, but all of it is important.’‘Yes, Father.’ Ezio shifted his weight slightly, still clinging for dear life to the bars that crossed the window. He didn’t dare look down now, and he didn’t know how much longer he could remain motionless.‘Among the contents you’ll find a letter and with it some documents. You must take them without delay – tonight! – to Messer Alberti -‘‘The Gonfalionere?’‘Exactly. Now, go!’‘But, Father…’ Ezio struggled to get the words out, and, wishing that he could do more than just ferry documents, he stammered, ‘Are the Pazzi behind this? I read the note from the carrier pigeon. It said -‘But then Giovanni hushed him. Ezio could hear the key turning in the lock of the cell door.‘They’re taking me for interrogation,’ said Giovanni grimly. ‘Get away before they discover you. My God, you’re a brave boy. You’ll be worthy of your destiny. Now, for the last time – go!’

Part 2:

As he entered, his right foot encountered a flagstone which moved beneath it, and as it did so, oil-lamps set into the passageway’s walls suddenly flared into life. It ran a short way, sloping slightly downwards, and terminated in a chamber decorated more in the style of Syria than Italy. Ezio’s mind flashed on a which hung in his father’s private study of the castle of Masyaf, oncethe seat of the ancient Order of Assassins. But he had no time to ponder whether or not this curious decor could be of any special significance. The room was unfurnished, and in its centre stood a large, iron-bound chest, securely sealed with two heavy locks. He looked around the room to see if a key might be anywhere, but aside from its ornamentation it was bare. Ezio was wondering if he’d have to return to the office, or make his way to his father’s study, to search for one there, and if he’d have time to do so, when by chance his hand brushed against one of the locks, and at that, it sprang open. The other one opened as easily. Had his father given him some power he did not know of? Were the locks in some way programmed to respond to a certain person’s touch? Mystery was piling on mystery, but there was no time to dwell on them now He opened the chest and saw that it contained a white hood, evidently old, and made of some perhaps woollen material which he didn’t recognize. Something compelled him to put it on, and at once a strange power surged through him. He lowered the hood, but did not take it off The chest contained a leather bracer, a cracked dagger blade connected, instead of to a hilt, to a strange mechanism whose workings were beyond him, a sword, a page of vellum covered with symbols and letters and what looked like part of a plan, and the letter and documents his father had told him to take to Uberto Alberti. He gathered them all up, closed the chest, and retreated to his father’s office, closing the secret door carefully behind him. In the office, he found a discarded document pouch of Giulio’s and stashed the contents of the chest in it, slinging the pouch across his chest. He buckled on the sword. Not knowing what to make of this strange collection of objects, and not having time to reflect on why his father would keep such things in a secret chamber, he made his way cautiously back towards the main doors of the palazzo.

LoyalACFan
07-07-2015, 12:15 AM
I don't understand why having the hood on during the execution is such a big deal, it barely obscures one side of his face in any given scene. Although for what it's worth, the trailers showed him in civilian clothes for that part, not sure why they made the change.

As for wearing the same clothes for 20 years, that's basically every video game. Video game protagonists never do their laundry, eat, drink, or poop.

avk111
07-07-2015, 11:45 AM
I don't understand why having the hood on during the execution is such a big deal, it barely obscures one side of his face in any given scene. Although for what it's worth, the trailers showed him in civilian clothes for that part, not sure why they made the change.

As for wearing the same clothes for 20 years, that's basically every video game. Video game protagonists never do their laundry, eat, drink, or poop.

In terms of your question about the hero wearing his ideal famous suit before the events that triggered his motive, read what I wrote above again please.

In terms of your statment, that its a video game character your still not adding any prespective on creating a better immersion psychologically while playing the AC2 title.

I think Ill just settle in with accepting that im not playing as Ezio directly but playing as Desmond playing as Ezio , thus since both characters have the same face , whenever I play as Ezio (hooded) Ill tell myself that this is Desmond playing as Ezio in that particular time and moment. But overall I will have to keep in mind that its dual characters and not just one characters your immersing yourself with, unlike Connor , who looks different from Desmond , but thats a whole different story by itself since Connor's life memories seemed to be easier to immerse with than Ezio, as his coming of age arc seems to make more sense to me personally.

ProdiGurl
07-07-2015, 01:33 PM
LoyalACFan >As for wearing the same clothes for 20 years, that's basically every video game. Video game protagonists never do their laundry, eat, drink, or poop. <
Spot on lol
Think of the same clothes in AC as the old show, Matlock. Matlock actually had a fresh wardrobe change every single day, it just happened to be from a closet full of the identical suit.

Honestly in this series, I don't focus so heavily on minute stuff like this. It's a video game and I just can't get that far into each aspect of every scene.

Xstantin
07-07-2015, 03:05 PM
I think Ill just settle in with accepting that im not playing as Ezio directly but playing as Desmond playing as Ezio , thus since both characters have the same face , whenever I play as Ezio (hooded) Ill tell myself that this is Desmond playing as Ezio in that particular time and moment. But overall I will have to keep in mind that its dual characters and not just one characters your immersing yourself with, unlike Connor , who looks different from Desmond , but thats a whole different story by itself since Connor's life memories seemed to be easier to immerse with than Ezio, as his coming of age arc seems to make more sense to me personally.

Altair had Desmond's face too :rolleyes:

avk111
07-08-2015, 10:08 AM
Well here is an add on prespective,

Ezio reminds me alot of Ichigo from the Bleach anime series, Ezio is tasked with being an Assassin after the death of his father , similar to Ichigo where he is tasked of being a soul reaper after the attack of the monsters.

So in a way Ezio acts as a substitute to his father's role as an assassin, thus it was never really his choice to become an assassin in the first place, was it for his father and family members to have lived , he would have foresaken the assassin role and his heritage , but since most of the male members in his family are dead now, its up to him to put a stop to the templars and keep his family safe.

Ichigo Kurasaki from the Bleach anime acts in the same manner, when the monsters attacked his home and his family , the soul reaper fighting them at the time (Rukia Kuchki) was badly injured so it was up to him to take a stand and use her powers (much of the same how Ezio uses his father's assassin hood, blade - bracer,and sword) in order to protect his family.

No wonder the segment at the time was called "Last man standing" during the memory where the Auditores were executed.