PDA

View Full Version : The CG P-40 is the real star of Sky Captain and the world of tomorrow! (movie review)

MK2aw
09-17-2004, 10:06 PM
I just saw the movie, here is a real quick summary:

Great special effects
cool combat flying scenes
Really, really, thin plot.

In either case the real star is the P-40 air plane. The lead charcater , Joseph, is an adventurer who was a former "American volunteer pilot" in the skies over China during the previous war(can anyone say flying tigers?).

The British "amphibious" fighter squadron is also a very cool concept.As are the aircraft carriers that fly.

The movie barely had a plot but I enjoyed the flying combat scenes quite a bit.

Mk2aw

MK2aw
09-17-2004, 10:06 PM
I just saw the movie, here is a real quick summary:

Great special effects
cool combat flying scenes
Really, really, thin plot.

In either case the real star is the P-40 air plane. The lead charcater , Joseph, is an adventurer who was a former "American volunteer pilot" in the skies over China during the previous war(can anyone say flying tigers?).

The British "amphibious" fighter squadron is also a very cool concept.As are the aircraft carriers that fly.

The movie barely had a plot but I enjoyed the flying combat scenes quite a bit.

Mk2aw

MrOblongo
09-17-2004, 10:18 PM
Hope is not like Ben Affleck (or whatever is spelled) and that bull**** dogfight... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/52.gif

heywooood
09-17-2004, 10:33 PM
this film is pure fantasy... the only connection to the past is the p40ish airframe of the main character.

this film is an homage to the old serial films of the 30's and 40's not intended to be taken seriously.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/heywooood/sair.jpg
"the real slim shady"

PBNA-Boosher
09-17-2004, 10:37 PM
Still, looks like it could be a fun movie.

Boosher

MK2aw
09-17-2004, 10:43 PM
You know I hear some people rag the Pearl Harbor movie. I thought the Battle of Britain scene was real cool and I'll take the bullsh*t dogfight over no dogfight.

Forget sky captain if you did not like the pearl Harbor movie, it's pure fantsy where P-40s fight flying bird robots.

Mk2aw

Bluntage
09-17-2004, 10:43 PM
Thought it sucked mostly, but to each his own... I want my money back.

MK2aw
09-17-2004, 10:44 PM
I thought it "kind of" sucked (did you miss the really, really thin plot part?). I thought the P-40 was cool and I thought the amphibious squadron was cool and I thought the flying air craft carriers where cool.

heywooood
09-17-2004, 10:49 PM
it looks like fun - if you suspend all reason.

I like those big, flying carriers too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/heywooood/sair.jpg
"the real slim shady"

Udidtoo
09-18-2004, 12:01 AM
Angelina Jolie in a black uniform and eyepatch...................I'm there. Who needs a plot when you have Angie in blank me boots!

I always have just enough fuel to arrive at the scene of my crash.